2015.5 Polestar V60 spare wheel/tire question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question 2015.5 Polestar V60 spare wheel/tire question

My sister's Polestar recently had a blow-out from a nasty curb on a Dallas side-street. Originally she'd bought a spare tire/wheel from the dealership, Park Place Volvo, but it quickly became apparent that this spare would never fit on the front wheel position. This was the first blow-out she'd had and discovered the spare was completely wrong.

My question is, has everyone just made do with the little fix-a-flat kit and compressor on their Polestars, gone with run-flats, or engineered some special spare setup?

I'm guessing the spare is probably for the biggest non-Polestar at the time, maybe an XC90--it is ~ 18" in diameter--and not really useful!!! We wound up having the car flat-bed'ed to the dealer for fixing.

RD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post
      My sister's Polestar recently had a blow-out from a nasty curb on a Dallas side-street. Originally she'd bought a spare tire/wheel from the dealership, Park Place Volvo, but it quickly became apparent that this spare would never fit on the front wheel position. This was the first blow-out she'd had and discovered the spare was completely wrong.

My question is, has everyone just made do with the little fix-a-flat kit and compressor on their Polestars, gone with run-flats, or engineered some special spare setup?

I'm guessing the spare is probably for the biggest non-Polestar at the time, maybe an XC90--it is ~ 18" in diameter--and not really useful!!! We wound up having the car flat-bed'ed to the dealer for fixing.

RD
      How bout just throwing the spare on the back wheel? I'm pretty sure those will clear 18s, and just move the unblown 20 up front. As for actual solutions... Fix-a-flat or a good AAA membership is my vote. Useful spares and places to put them are getting rarer and rarer...

Due to the size of the front brake caliper on the Polestar's car, you have to do a double wheel/tire change on these cars. Placing the spare tire on the rear and moving the rear oem wheel/tire setup to the front. That is the only solution, if you have a volvo spare tire/wheel (donut size). I have one in my S60 P*, but I have not use it to this date, knock on wood. Unfortunately, the fix a flat goo crap will only work, if you had a nail type puncture in the tire. The Goo will leave you stranded and its useless once you have a regular blow out in which the side wall is damaged/gashed larger than the size of a dime.
      '14 S60 RD (His) Traded for 2017 P*
      '13 S80 3.2 Platinum | Ice White | Beige Interior (Hers)
      '16 XC90 T6 Momentum w all options | Ember Black (Hers)
      '17 S60 P* with all options|Ice White|Lumar Tint|Mud Guards|Wheel Locks|CF Mirror Covers|Hexomats|Interior LED|Xpel Ultimate Frt of Car|OEM Wheels Powder Coated Charcoal Gray|Elevate RSB|Black Painted Rotor Edges
      '09S2k Chicane Silver Low Mileage (His)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

All vehicles with a big brake system have this issue. I had a fix-a-flat kit in my E63 AMG as well. I agree with knyghtryda as well - just make sure the kit is good to go and have a AAA membership. If you're going on a long road trip and you're willing to sacrifice some space, some folks get a spare, cover it in a vinyl bag and keep it in the trunk - for example:

of course, a full size spare will be much larger than that...
      2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
      2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
      1994 Acura Integra RS

I like that solution. There is also a raised trunk floor you can get to allow the spare to sit in the factory position.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

There have been numerous P* owners that have installed the Volvo "donut" spare tire and it fits under their cargo floor. The kit comes with the fitment to have this fit under the stock floor. And it still requires the double wheel swap if you have the front go bad as the spare won't fit over the front brakes. The foam tire storage with wheel and tray is Volvo part 31399083 for about $200.

https://www.bostonvolvocarsparts.com...wd=&origin=pla

Ok, thank you all for the responses! After we pulled off the bad front wheel and discovered the spare would never fit in that position, we did realize that the spare may likely fit on the rear (freeing that wheel to be put onto the front) but we were already behind schedule and didn't want to have to do all the required jacking-up/jacking-down to swap it around.

Whats the part number for the spare tire?
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
      Whats the part number for the spare tire?
      Should be 32209112.
      2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
      2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
      1994 Acura Integra RS

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpolestar View Post
      There have been numerous P* owners that have installed the Volvo "donut" spare tire and it fits under their cargo floor. The kit comes with the fitment to have this fit under the stock floor. And it still requires the double wheel swap if you have the front go bad as the spare won't fit over the front brakes. The foam tire storage with wheel and tray is Volvo part 31399083 for about $200.

https://www.bostonvolvocarsparts.com...wd=&origin=pla

For a V70 the kits works well; unfortunately S60 owners aren't as lucky since the available S60 trunk space under the floor is much less than the V70, so the S60 loses a whopping 4.73 inches of trunk height with this kit installed.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...or-spare-wheel
      https://usparts.volvocars.com/p/Volv...8aAnQEEALw_wcB
      "The spare wheel floor is 120 mm higher than standard and the luggage compartment is reduced by 80 l.
      Not suitable for Twin Engine".

120mm is 4.73 inches. Loss of trunk space is 2.83 cu ft.

Might still consider it since most of the time I do not have a lot of stuff in the trunk, although ironically the big trunk of the S60 P* is one of the reasons I considered this versus getting a new version of my old car (which I traded in somewhat reluctantly for other reasons).
      Last edited by njdriver; 06-17-2019 at 10:23 PM.

What's the part number for the V60 spare tire?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements