OE Bi-Xenon Retrofit
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OE Bi-Xenon Retrofit

I finally completed my OE HID headlamps retrofit. This was by far the most expensive retrofit I ever made.
      Thanks to VDASH because without it, it would not have been possible at least without expensive CEM reprogramming that nobody seems to be able to do.
      I will explain what I did for my 2015.5 V60 Premier Plus, Canadian market, with Technology Package. Of course, your mileage may vary with different MY or trim level but by studying your electrical schematics first, it should be easy to check before starting the job.

The process can be broken into 3 steps:

1- Level sensors retrofit
      2- Headlight harness modification
      3- Headlight replacement & reprogramming

Going from the crappy El Cheapo Halogen setup to the bi-xenon with cornering lights is quite an impressive improvement and, IMO, totally and wort the expense
      Total cost was around $1470.00CAD with used parts.

This is NOT an easy retrofit so make sure you know what you're doing. I'm writing this based on the notes I took during the process. I started all this last summer with the level sensors retrofit so errors are possible...

Note that I'm still working on getting the adaptive high beam function work. I'm trying go get information from the VDASH team on this. Will post back if I get them to work. For now, I'm getting DTCs from the FSM (Front Sensing Module) and the FLR (Forward Looking Radar ?).
      ***UPDATE : Adaptive lights working 100% See post number 16 ***

Part I will follow.
      Last edited by Stef1; 08-08-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: new information
      Bright Silver 2015.5 V60, T6 3.0 AWD, P* tune, Simons Touring Catback, Eibach ProKit, various retrofits including adaptive OE xenon

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Part I : Level Sensors Retrofit

Part I : Level sensors retrofit.

The car is equipped with 2 levels sensors, both on the passenger side on my car. Check before purchasing because variant of the sensors exist for both sides, front and rear.

Parts needed:
      REAR
      1x 31288274 : level sensor, rear, right
      3x 985919 : flange screw

FRONT
      1x 31288272 : level sensor, front, right
      2x 985919 : flange screw
      1x 985590 : bolt

HARNESS
      1x 31346736 : Connector housing
      3x 31409244 : Repair terminal
      1x 30767286 : Grommet, firewall
      3x 30656698 : Repair terminal
      As req. : 20AWG (0.35mm2) wire
      As req. : Electrical harness tape
      Heat shrink tubing, soldering supplies or wire splicing devices or your liking.

REAR : My car was already fitted with the correct wiring harness from factory for the rear sensor so this part is easy.
      Remove wheel and look for a capped connector attached to the rear suspension arm.
      Remove the protective cover and plug your level sensor. Then attach to the suspension using the flange screws. Mounting holes are already there so it's only a matter of finding the correct orientation/geometry for the sensor lever and then screwing it down.
      Make sure that all is nice and tight and reinstall wheel. Rear is done.

Pictures of the capped harness:

FRONT: After removing the wheel I was surprised to find out that there are various PNs for the control arm and that some don't come with the mounting holes for the level sensor. Guess wich one I have
      So I had to improvise. First, finding a location that works with the sensor lever arm was not possible without modifying it. I had to heat the plastic lever just enough to twist it 90 degs axially. Then I had to make an hole in the control arm to attach the lever.
      Not the best looking installation but it works and the sensor can work the complete movement range of the suspension. I was sure that I had a picture of this but no. I will take one when I change my winter wheels.

Now that the sensor is installed, an harness needs to be made to get the signals to the CEM, connector C1 (the green one). Since the CEM is located under the glove box, it's relatively easy to get the harness to it coming to from the front right wheel.

Instead of attaching lots of picture, I will share this Volvo Accessories Instructions for adding fog lights to an XC60. Lots of steps are covered in there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IJyPVzESK1fEVF

To get enough room to work around the CEM, the glove box needs to go out (steps 58+ in the PDF).
      A rubber plug is present on the firewall, just under the foot of the passenger under the carpet and insulating foam (step 64 in the PDF). This plugs leads to an area between the engine compartment and the wheel well, conveniently close to the sensor (step 67). The rubber plug is to be replaced with a grommet that features nipples for wire routing (step 69).
      To the harness, I soldered 6ft of wire to each of the 3 repair terminals (31409244) and inserted them at position 1,4 and 5 of the connector housing. This is the sensor side of the harness.
      Label the free ends of the wires accordingly before going any further, this will spare you the trouble of finding which is which when connecting CEM side. Test fit the harness through the grommet and mark the length that needs to be taped, I removed the harness and applied harness tape to the complete length except the last few inches before the CEM connector.
      I then reinstalled the harness through the grommet, clamping the nipple with a tie-wrap before over taping over the transition. I secured the harness with a few tie-wrap and connected it to the sensor. Put wheel back on.

You can do the connections on the CEM now or wait and do the headlight harness at the same time.

Sensor side (7/119)...................CEM side (C1)
      5-----------------------------------------36
      1-----------------------------------------53
      4-----------------------------------------35

Cut your free end wire the proper length to get to the connector following the existing harnesses routing minus the repair terminal length. Solder then remove C1, unlock-it, insert the wire at the proper location, lock it back and reconnect (steps 69-72).

Front level sensor - done !
      Last edited by Stef1; 03-23-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add pictures
      Bright Silver 2015.5 V60, T6 3.0 AWD, P* tune, Simons Touring Catback, Eibach ProKit, various retrofits including adaptive OE xenon

Part II - Headlight Harness Modification

Part II - Headlight harness modification

The HID headlights each contains a control module that needs LIN network communication with the CEM. These modules also need a separate power supply.

Parts required:

CEM side
      2x 30656698 : Repair terminal

Headlight side
      4x 30656635 : Repair terminal with seal
      2x -- : M6 stud ring crimp terminal

Make an harness with the repair terminals, from CEM connector C1 (green) to the headlights connectors. I found PN 31343492 which turns out to be a ready-made harness for the headlight manual adjusters and it fits perfectly length wise and looks OE. This is what I used, just need to cut one terminal at each lamp end and their respective ends CEM side since this harness routes 2 wires to each headlight.
      Step 69 in the PDF referenced in part I shows the last part of the harness routing before going down behind the heat shield attached the the firewall.
      Route it in the same grommet you used for the level sensors, sealing it the same way.

CEM (C1)...........................Left Headlight
      19-----------------------------------8
      ...................................Right Headlight
      20-----------------------------------8

Now, position 12 on each headlight connector needs to be connected to ground. Make a new wire by crimping a ring terminal at the end of the repair wire. Attach to the grounding point located on each front members, not far from the headlight connector. Insert in location 12 of the headlight connector.

NOTE : Some wiring diagrams shows that for some headlight assemblies, pin 5 needs to be connected to pin 9 on the harness side of the headlight connector. Since pin 9 is already there (High beams), you could have to use another repair terminal and splice it to the wire present at pin 9.
      Last edited by Stef1; 03-21-2019 at 07:49 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Part III - Headlight Replacement & Reprogramming

Part III - Headlight Replacement & Reprogramming

Various versions of HID headlights exist, refer to the following thread :
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-V60-2014-Euro

I went with PNs 31420108 and 31420109. I found a like-new set from a nice guy in Slovakia who agreed to ship them to me for a good price!

Once the headlights are installed, use VDASH to change the headlight selection. I went with
      "AHB/ABL integrated (Menu controlled/ No Tourist)", I tried a few other but noting happened with the headlight switch to low beams.

Then go to the CEM module and perform a level sensor calibration. Once calibration done, you shouldn't get any error messages.
      Note that the level sensors calibration can also be performed with VIDA.

Under Lightning in MY CAR, the new features are displayed and can be turned on/off.

Since the headlight I got are also equipped with cornering lights, I also added the feature with VDASH, under Lightning, Cornering Lights.
      They work great and light-up at low speed when you turn the steering wheel.

ENJOY !
      Last edited by Stef1; 03-21-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Now, the problems with the Adaptive High Beams.

After completing the retrofit, I went for a ride on a dark road to test the adaptive lights. I was disappointed to notice that they would only work ON/OFF.

I went back to VDASH and found this:

Tried it but ended with:

So that's where I am now regarding the adaptive headlights.
      I sent an email to VDASH and I hope they can help me on this.

end result with OSRAM CBI (Cool Blue Intense) that are in no way blue but a nice white color that matches closely (not perfectly) the DRLs

I'll get some nicer pictures later

Congratulations on getting this done. I did not need to do this, but good on you for persevering and posting the steps on here so others can make use of your hard work!!
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Maybe one day I’ll be doing this in my future newer S60. Definitely saving this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job! Very impressive. So there is no headlamp control module for 2015.5 MY?
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      Great job! Very impressive. So there is no headlamp control module for 2015.5 MY?
      Control modules are installed on each Xenon headlight assemblies.
      For halogen setup, the CEM manages it all.

When looking around for an used headlight, make sure that both the ballast and the control modules are present.
      Some sellers removes them to sell them separately.

The ballast is an aluminum casting installed under the headlight.
      The control module is a black, squarish box with a big white sticker, located on top.

Got it. So this will be a little different for the preface lift models '11-'13. For those there is only one headlamp control module and it's located in a wheel well. Looks like the level sensors get wired to that rather than to the CEM directly so the wiring may be a little different as well.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Stef1 View Post
      Now, the problems with the Adaptive High Beams.

After completing the retrofit, I went for a ride on a dark road to test the adaptive lights. I was disappointed to notice that they would only work ON/OFF.

I went back to VDASH and found this:

Tried it but ended with:

So that's where I am now regarding the adaptive headlights.
      I sent an email to VDASH and I hope they can help me on this.
      When you get the fully adaptive headlights working, please take a video!
      2017 V60 P*

Control modules are installed on each Xenon headlight assemblies.
      For halogen setup, the CEM manages it all.

When looking around for an used headlight, make sure that both the ballast and the control modules are present.
      Some sellers removes them to sell them separately.

The ballast is an aluminum casting installed under the headlight.
      The control module is a black, squarish box with a big white sticker, located on top.
      Do you happen to have the part numbers for the control module and ballast? I'm wondering if they're the same for cars already equipped with HID but have the NA market on/off high beams.
      2017 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      Do you happen to have the part numbers for the control module and ballast? I'm wondering if they're the same for cars already equipped with HID but have the NA market on/off high beams.
      Ballast should be the same they don't play any role in this.
      I will note the PNs of the control module and report back.

So excited about this feature. I hope you can upload picture of your work and parts (location) installed. It will help me and pretty sure others too.

As soon as I start, I will take more picture to help
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

Forgot to update but I managed to get them working a few weeks ago. 100% Functional now !
      The proper combination of settings in Vdash are:

Headlights : AHB/ABL Integrated (menu controlled or No Tourist)
      Advanced Front Lightning : With
      Autolights : Automatic Head Beam Control, Adpative, Low beam in village

With these settings, no more errors regarding module configuration.

Let me tell you that the results are F**ing amazing ! Especially when you follow another car. You see the headlights working to keep the preceding car in a zone of shade.
      Amazing retrofit ! Lots of research but it was worth it.

Thanks for sharing.
      This seems quite involved.
      I picked up a set of OEM Xenons for my 2012 figuring I'd give it a shot.
      They plugged right in but results are sketchy. Sometimes they light up but most of the time I get a "Low Beam Malfunction" error and they are not on.
      I wonder if a VIDA programming will get them to work. Otherwise I am willing to part with them if anyone here is interested in doing the mod.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      Thanks for sharing.
      This seems quite involved.
      I picked up a set of OEM Xenons for my 2012 figuring I'd give it a shot.
      They plugged right in but results are sketchy. Sometimes they light up but most of the time I get a "Low Beam Malfunction" error and they are not on.
      I wonder if a VIDA programming will get them to work. Otherwise I am willing to part with them if anyone here is interested in doing the mod.
      Unfortunately, without the electrical modifications and the proper programming you will never make them work...

Unfortunately, without the electrical modifications and the proper programming you will never make them work...
      Thanks for the reply.
      If anyone is interested PM me.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Forgot to update but I managed to get them working a few weeks ago. 100% Functional now !
      The proper combination of settings in Vdash are:

Headlights : AHB/ABL Integrated (menu controlled or No Tourist)
      Advanced Front Lightning : With
      Autolights : Automatic Head Beam Control, Adpative, Low beam in village

With these settings, no more errors regarding module configuration.

Let me tell you that the results are F**ing amazing ! Especially when you follow another car. You see the headlights working to keep the preceding car in a zone of shade.
      Amazing retrofit ! Lots of research but it was worth it.
      Congrats! Could you take a video of the AHB in action?
      2017 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      Congrats! Could you take a video of the AHB in action?
      Have a look at this video that was shared in another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUOnNP_PjWM&hd=1

I'm afraid I don't have a good enough setup to make a movie of night driving in the car....

Very nice
      Pearl White 2015 S60, B5204T9, FWD, various retrofits including adaptive OE xenon & Harman kardon Premium Sound with subwoofer.

After 10 hours decode, the vehicle's CEM pin code has been cracked, light settings according to the configuration of your post modified, With a total of $125, the process is very smooth, this is very difficult to achieve without your thread , I check the corner lights when reversing, works fine, next plan to test the adaptive high beam function on the highway tomorrow night, I hope everything is going well

After VDASH make change to the CEM,New DTC FSM-U210000 & FLR-U210000,I found the DTC display after adaptive setting change, So I select “sensor alignment”&“camera alignment”in the FSM,and then go out ride 5-10miles,everything ok now. I will do a diagnostic tomorrow again....
      Pearl White 2015 S60, B5204T9, FWD, various retrofits including adaptive OE xenon & Harman kardon Premium Sound with subwoofer.

Code:
      FSM-C100154
      Definition:
      Vision System Camera. System Programming Failures. Missing Calibration
      Description:
      The forward-sensing module (FSM) checks information from the forward-sensing camera. The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the control module detects: Incorrect camera calibration. The control module's test for the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) starts in the event of: Ignition on for at least 5 seconds. Note! The control module can only detect the fault once the test has been started and the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored when the conditions are met.
      Cause:
      The camera does not have a valid calibration.
      For the S60(11-), the DTC can be stored when camera calibration is not completed within 30 minutes. A new 30 minute calibration period starts automatically.

Code:
      FSM-U030055
      Definition:
      FSM Internal Control Module Software Incompatibility. System Programming Failures. Not Configured
      Description:
      Forward Sensing Module (FSM) communicates with forward-sensing radar. The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the control module detects that: Forward sensing radar not calibrated. The control module's test for the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) starts in the event of: Control module supplied with power for at least 5 seconds. The system voltage is greater than 8.0 V. Note! The control module can only detect the fault once the test has been started and the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored when the conditions are met.
      Cause:
      Calibration sequence not carried out.
      Calibration failed.

ODST, have you managed to get them working ? These error codes look like the one I got with the wrong settings. You don't need to mess with the camera or sensor alignment, it's not related.

I make 4 light change together, Maybe cause the DTC , I will diagnostic later.

No DTC since yesterday.

Update,tested,Adaptive Highlight Beam works only on two-lane road,Not work on Four-lane road.

Stef1 you are a legend! I was happy to get xenons from a wrecked car working on my S60 about a year ago using a relay harness but the bulb failure warning and the lack of ABL has been driving me nuts. I am going to get the appropriate parts and attempt this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ODST View Post
      Good job !

Someday soon I hope to do this!

Stef1, do you recall what the original P/N for your headlights is? I will check for that rear sensor harness when I put on the snow tyres, which is happening too soon! Sorry for the bump, but I think the original P/N is worth it for the record - and they're currently going for about 1300 loonies so it would be... unfortunate to get the wrong part!

Cool that you got it working. I'm wondering, if you have a car with the stock adative bi-xenon with cornering lights etc. What parts needs to be replaced to add the active high beam? Would it only be the headlights itself or is also an extra camera needed?
      Last edited by Blueone; 10-13-2020 at 10:20 AM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast