SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

960 b6304+t internal questions

10K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  timklep2000@gmail.com 
#1 ·
So I recently picked up a 1992 Volvo 960 wagon. The car came with a blown head gasket and really not that many miles.
I've been tearing down the engine and got the head off, made shims for the sleeves, the usual stuff for whiteblocks.
I have a set of td03 turbos and manifolds from a s80t6 and am planning to run some decent boost (like 10-13psi).
I'll be tearing down the lower end and am wondering what my options are for rods and pistons. Should I leave everthing stock? Should I find some H-beam rods that fit?
As far as pistons go I'm not sure how much better the 8.5/1 compression s80 pistons compare to the stock 10.7/1 960 pistons. What's everyone's thoughts on internals?
Here are some pics of the car in case anyone was curious.

See less See more
#2 ·
Full stop.

This engine doesn't have oil squirters.

Rods exist but are more rare since you need 6 instead of the usual 5.

If you want to do a turbo setup you should source an early 2.8 T6 block that has the 81mm bore.

#5 ·
It wasn't a blown head gasket alone, through 1993 whiteblocks have porosity issues.

The lack of piston squirters and it being a NA base engine means your wrist pins won't have a very long life.

Pretty much if you want a reliable turbo 960 you need to use the turbo block. If you just want a reliable 960, use a 95+ 960 block or a later S80 2.9 NA.

#6 ·
Well I guess it's a good thing Oregon junkyards are littered with s80 T6 engines. I'm guessing that the older 2.8t6 engines have thicker sleeves? Is it a similar comparison to a 2.3 vs a 2.5.

If possible I'd like to use the head I currently have in order to keep this as budget friendly as possible, does that mean I have to find a 2.9 to use my current head?

Also thanks for the information, you are probably saving me a lot of money in the long run!

#7 ·
2.8 > 2.9

No, a 2.8 t6 will fit under a b6304 head. The 2.8 (b6284t) has an 81mm bore compared to the 83mm of the 2.9.
Volvo basically used the B6254 (81mm bore) block, b6304 (90mm stroke) crank and T5 rods (59,9mm) and pistons (139,5mm), its very similar to the b5234t but with one more cylinder.
easiest is to use the b6284t with b6304 head and oil pan.

Check some forums, there is a lot of info.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328345

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.