Hid or led conversion question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hid or led conversion question

Has anyone successfully replaced their lo and hi beam halogen headlight bulbs with either HID or LED bulbs? By successfully I mean properly fitting them inside the headlamp housing without any issues. If so can you share your project - HID or LED bulb brand and source, picture of the back side with dust covers, how long has it been in place, etc. I am aware that you will need to drill a hole on the dust cover to accommodate the ballast wires (for HID) or the driver wires (for LED). I tried this last year with an LED but the base of the bulb was a bit long and pushing on the dust cover. So I set the project aside.

HIDs bulbs may be more compact and would probably work better.
      IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
      04 Volvo XC70 5LT 120k Ruby Red - Nice hiway ride, stiff and bouncy in city, problematic door locks and tendency to lock you out, deteriorating moulding trims, groaning steering column (fixed).... this car has one too many error codes. Good thing I got it for a hand-me-down price. The only redeeming quality of this XC70 is its a wagon.
      07 Honda Accord V6 115k Silver - Great ride, Problem Free
      07 Honda Accord L4 110k Bronze - Great ride, Problem Free
      96 MB C220 330k (Parked) Silver - Great ride, Head gasket and wiring harness replaced at 315k (can't complain at that mileage)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

LED.

Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0 in H7. Fits behind the cap, all contained internally. Bought from The Retrofit Source.

Hights for the -04 glass headlight cars are 9005 so a HIR1 bulb is a very good halogen upgrade, no need to go to HID/LED.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 195k - "O-Three"
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 287k - Work Wagon/Daily
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 173k - Rescue Project
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 235k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 208k - Sisters

Working an HID Bi-xenon projector retrofit right now. Using the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 projectors. The reflector is only 105mm tall, so most shrouds need to be trimmed top and bottom. If you have an 05+ with the plastic lenses, they take some work to get apart. The link below has my efforts so far. Scroll to the bottom.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/588681
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
      Working an HID Bi-xenon projector retrofit right now. Using the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 projectors. The reflector is only 105mm tall, so most shrouds need to be trimmed top and bottom. If you have an 05+ with the plastic lenses, they take some work to get apart. The link below has my efforts so far. Scroll to the bottom.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/588681
      Thanks. But link does not go to post.
      04 Volvo XC70 5LT 120k Ruby Red - Nice hiway ride, stiff and bouncy in city, problematic door locks and tendency to lock you out, deteriorating moulding trims, groaning steering column (fixed).... this car has one too many error codes. Good thing I got it for a hand-me-down price. The only redeeming quality of this XC70 is its a wagon.
      96 MB C220 330k (Parked) Silver - Great ride, Head gasket and wiring harness replaced at 315k (can't complain at that mileage)

Hmmm. Works when native on SwedeSpeed.com, but not using Tapatalk.
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

In the quest to find a brighter H11 I went ahead and bought a 4 sets of cheap LED lamp from Amazon.ca to test out.

From left to right:

OE Osram H11 - Halogen

Safego - https://www.amazon.ca/Safego-Headlig...PSL&ref=plSrch

FSM
      https://www.amazon.ca/FMS-Headlight-...D8L&ref=plSrch

Nighteye
      https://www.amazon.ca/NIGHTEYE-Headl...IDL&ref=plSrch

Sealight
      https://www.amazon.ca/SEALIGHT-Upgra...ight+H11&psc=1]

Brand names don't really mean too much. In my searches I've found many lamps, including the ones listed above, under different names or with mismatched emitters and heatsink. The reason I chose to test these 4 is each of the lamps has the emitter positioned close to where the halogen filament would sit on a halogen lamp. Small, narrow, and thin emitters will create a desirable beam pattern. Measuring the emitters show's there quite a difference between them. Was trying to only purchase LEDs with passive heatsinks, but the Safego had good reviews.

H11 Halogen
      Height - 5mm
      Width - 1.9mm
      (tried to break one open to measure the filament, but I forgot how much pressure the bulbs are under . So this is a rough eye ball with the calipers through the bulb)

Nighteye
      LED Height - 5.8mm
      LED Width - 1.6mm
      Split - 4.4mm

Sealight
      LED Height - 5.2mm
      LED Width - 1.1mm
      Split - 3.7mm

Safego
      LED Height - 5mm
      LED Width - 2mm
      Split - 2.75mm *emitter is recessed into housing. True split is less.

FSM
      LED Height - 6.7mm
      LED Width - 1.7mm
      Split - 6.1mm

Beam patterns. I locked the camera settings for all pictures. All test were done only using the left side headlight at 25'. Overall, patterns for all of the lamps look ok. All lamps were quite easy to seat in the headlight and there's adequate room for the heatsinks. The Sealight being the dimmest seems to be the most comparable to the halogen. The nighteye and FSM were ok, but the cutoff did not look as clean. The Safego is by far the brightest, cutoff and pattern is good. I installed the other Safego into the right side and took it for a test drive.

They are very bright, and they look quite sharp. Light is thrown out quite a bit with a clean cut off. With properly adjusted headlights they do not glare. There is a hot spot in the middle, but the halogens also had the same spot, just less intense. I'm going to run the Safego for now as I'm quite happy with them. The H9 I will keep as a halogen, possibly get a colour matched Philips. Testing the LEDs in the H9 seems to have less intensity than halogen. Even though the LED is brighter, the Halogen has a more focused hot spot. I will be swapping out he H1 fogs to LEDs.

All the lamps had a faint flicker to them only really noticeable at low engine RPM, I'm sure there's a fix for that, but it's not too annoying. Also, the low-beam failure is triggered.

Hopefully this was helpful. Was a quick and easy experiment, did it in the grocery store parking lot since I'm there most the time anyways. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

Update:
      So I've decided that the Safego are a bit too bright for the lowbeam. While the cutoff is good, there is still quite a bit of light thrown out by them. I've swapped in the Sealight lamps and they are much easier on the eyes, as well as maintaining a decent amount out light output. I swapped in the Safego into the H9 HighBeam position.

Sealight Lows (Alleyway is on a slight downhill)

Sealight Lows/Safego Highs

I've got one more lamp I'd like to test out, as well as one for the H1 fog lights.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 140k mi

You will need load resistors to cancel out the bulb warnings.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Headlight-T...amp/B07CL15ZVB

Currently using this lamp in the low beam. I find that the beam pattern is better and less intense (fewer hot spots) than the ones previously tested. The fans can be a little noisey, but can't be heard over the engine noise when running.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Don't drill holes in dust covers, just tap into the + wires at the harness connector. Then put in a 4-6 ohm resistor in between to body Gnd.

Do not put resistors inside the housing, they will melt any plastic it touches and it will fill with smoke. They should be mounted to metal or somewhere away from plastic. (i mounted mine on an aluminum plate attached to the radiator support)

The "decoder" boxes doesnt work with volvos. Just use a basic load resistor.

Same applied with rest of bulbs on car. They need at least 6-8ohm load resistor. Only headlights may need 4ohm. (i combined 6+20 ohm in parallel to create 4.5 ohm because 6 was not enough in my case)

edit: my headlight resitor plate

Last edited by Racer_S; 03-31-2019 at 10:17 PM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [230K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [180K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

I have to used tinsince LEDs they are pretty bright but the cutoff seems good for an led. Slightly different to the ones mentioned by @Antherzoll
      I have not installed my load resistors yet. I plan on doing that soon..
      Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of them lol. I do wish they were more like 5k in color temp since I prefer that OE look. But this will work till I start my retrofit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0739N7QPD..._RywOCbR3ESNSN

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing especially Antherzoll's project. One thing you did not mention is how you addressed running the wires out because I am guessing that all the LED cables and driver does not fit inside the housing??

Quote Originally Posted by voldog View Post
      Thanks for sharing especially Antherzoll's project. One thing you did not mention is how you addressed running the wires out because I am guessing that all the LED cables and driver does not fit inside the housing??
      Everything that I tested fits in the housing with the cover on.

I am running bi-xenon projectors with HIDs in mine. It was pretty much plug and play. Hardest part was probably trimming the projector shrouds to fit the housings. Otherwise just bolts in.

The projectors I am using are cheapy Ebay units. They get the job done for me. If you want better quality and crisper cutoff you can get Morimotos. They install the same way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3-0-H1-B...gAAOSwyUpcok2U

I had to drill a hole in the cap for wiring but otherwise no other mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Everything that I tested fits in the housing with the cover on.

Thanks. Did any of them have driver boxes?

Small ones, and they also fit within the housing.

Picture of load resistors I mounted in factory bolt locations. They are mounted to painted steel. I had to get h11 extension so I can mount them somewhere safe because they do get hot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by voldog View Post
      Has anyone successfully replaced their lo and hi beam halogen headlight bulbs with either HID or LED bulbs?
      While you can successfully put one of these bulbs in there, you can't get better light with any of them.

For more detail on it (from actual engineers who work on this stuff);
      https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ctor-retrofits

and
      https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post4533560

and
      https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-bulbs-illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Robdiesel View Post
      While you can successfully put one of these bulbs in there, you can't get better light with any of them.

For more detail on it (from actual engineers who work on this stuff);
      https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ctor-retrofits

and
      https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post4533560

and
      https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-bulbs-illegal
      So the tests Antherzoll did are no good? Light brightness can work both ways. If halogens do not provide adequate lighting for the driver in can be unsafe. I believe this why people "upgrade" in order to see better. I would think that if you find the right balance of light intensity that will make the driver drive safely while not too intense to affect other drivers then I don't see the problem.

These articles were also posted in 2014. Lots of progress have been made since and it changes almost every day.
      Last edited by voldog; 05-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Great information! Thanks for sharing your conversions and output pictures!
      2006 Volvo XC70 wagon - "Chuck Feo" Daughters ride - stock
      1992 Volvo 965 "Savage Wagon" 5.3 LS to GM T5 manual - swap in progress
      1983 Jeep Cherokee "Brownie" 5.3 to SM465 manual - swap in progress
      1971 C10 Truck with 5.3 LS swap and T5 manual - parts hauler and general beast
      Daily: 2007 Cadillac DTS - because cheap and works

I have load resistors and attempted using them when converting to LED, instead did the method found on the forums about drilling a hole into the headlight resistor shunt. I have spares I can offer anyone who wants them.
      04 V70 2.5t Mistral Green
      06 Honda S2000 Laguna Blue

Also worth noting, if anyone tries the shunt hole drilling method, start with a very small hole. The first time I tried it, the hole I drilled was too large and it resulted in my headlights not working at all.
      04 V70 2.5t Mistral Green
      06 Honda S2000 Laguna Blue

These look to be plug and play for H11 as well that are in-line resistors. Still need to be attached to a heat sink though, but come with ends which makes the install easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...YRE8YI8O&psc=1
      H11 50W 6Ohm Load Resistor Adapter Fix Hyper Flashing Blinking Canbus Error Warning Canceller (2pieces)

Update: I installed the H11 conversion kit yesterday and it works wonderfully! Easy install as well. No dash warning lights with the resistors - plug and play! Bonus is that the LEDs run cool in the housings where the H11s were HOT.

Notes:
      1. The resistors are HOT! Mount on metal or fabricate a bracket.
      2. I left the H11 covers off the back side of the headlight assemblies which could allow dirt in. We will see what happens here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      H11 50W 6Ohm Load Resistor Adapter Fix Hyper Flashing Blinking Canbus Error Warning Canceller (2pieces)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      JKCOVER LED H11 H8 H9 Headlight Bulbs with Advanced CREE Chip and All In One Fanless Conversion Kit - 80W 6000K 9600Lm(40W 4800LM Each Bulb)-1 Year Warranty

We will see how long the setup lasts before something breaks...

Incase you missed it, this is what I did to cancel out error codes on my 2005 with the full LED conversion

50w 8ohm resistors. One for each signal light, brake light, headlights.

Rear taillight resistors.

- R Brake
      - R Signal
      - Rear Fog
      - L Signal
      - L Brake

All 8ohm 50watt resistors. Fits nicely behind the panel with enough room for airflow. Took the mounting a step further by sanding the backs of the resistors flat and applying thermal paste to the contact surfaces. I'll need to make another set similar to this for the front, but I'll be using two 6 ohm resistors for the low-beam and two 8 ohm for the signal. will need to figure out a suitable mounting location and a way of keeping them dry.

More things...

Front headlight resistors

Front headlight resistor bank.

With that, the exterior LED conversion is complete and error free.

Also, I've been running my LEDs for 6 months now with the covers on and no issues... Well except for winters. The LEDs don't quite heat up enough to defrost the headlights .

Has anyone put LEDs in the xenon reflector housings?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goonerm3 View Post
      Has anyone put LEDs in the xenon reflector housings?
      IDK why you would want to do that... Xenon and LED are equal greatness. If you have Xenon then just leave them alone IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
      IDK why you would want to do that... Xenon and LED are equal greatness. If you have Xenon then just leave them alone IMO.
      I've tried the stock 04 Xenons in my stock 06 halogen car and the ballasts turn on then off after a few seconds after ignition.

There doesn't seem any straight forward way to activate Xenons on my 06 and don't feel like spending on an aftermarket hid kit (if I were to I would retrofit in projectors)

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

There's an aux light attachment kit made by Volvo: 30772053. You can do a similar kit yourself, using spot LED pods or small lightbar. The kit has the button that installs into climate control module and is instantly recognized by the CCM (no software download is necessary), but in fact pretty much any button can be modified with soldering iron to carry an Extra Light ID.

I'm planning to move my Black Oak flood pods from the basket to the bumper and install a 20" light bar to the basket, using the Extra Light function that is already built in into our cars.

LED is wicked, btw. When I use my pods for a long time, I get a weld-like flash. Nature colors are definitely not neutral for a few minutes, hue is in blue part of spectrum. Too bright is not good.

I also dislike Xenon lights in wife's XC60, they are tiresome. Don't know why people are so obsessed...

Quote Originally Posted by goonerm3 View Post
      I've tried the stock 04 Xenons in my stock 06 halogen car and the ballasts turn on then off after a few seconds after ignition.

There doesn't seem any straight forward way to activate Xenons on my 06 and don't feel like spending on an aftermarket hid kit (if I were to I would retrofit in projectors)
      Can you swap back the Halogen housings and run what others have done above? Really the H11s are plug and play for the LEDs.

I also dislike Xenon lights in wife's XC60, they are tiresome. Don't know why people are so obsessed...
      For the time they started coming out they were gold over halogens. Now they eat up some money when needing replaced as the bulb and controller need to be replaced in pairs at the same time. Xenon are still great compared to Halogens!

FWIW I have swapped a few cars to LED and the prices have varied wildly. Prices for LED are coming down, but still if you want the high quality sets they are pricey (normally full housing replacements for older cars). These chinesium H11 drop ins are darn near free in comparison! Still 300-500 for USA made LED updates for older cars are 100% money well spent.

LED is nothing but trouble. Donít do it!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      LED is nothing but trouble. Donít do it!
      in my case its quite the opposite, before I had to change a headlight bulb very often... the LEDs been going strong almost a year now and i recently converted my 03 XC70 because of this

only downside i have to occasionally verify my blinkers and headlights are working because the car wont tell me anymore
      Last edited by Racer_S; 07-16-2019 at 06:38 PM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [230K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [180K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

Sorry for the late reply but what did you think of the Nighteye. Its the only one that was no fan..

Ive been putting the 35W Kit from DDM Tunning for over 10 years now lows and fogs and no issues on any car.
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Thatís because you savagely dismember Volvos. Thatís not ownership, thatís a serial killing kidnapper!

I really don't get why people still use resistors to get rid of the light out message. There was a much better fix for this that doesn't require all that extra work. The resistor under the dash, drill a pin size hole to add resistance to the load. There is a thread here on SS about how to do it.
      2002 Volvo V70XC * Stage 2 Hilton Racing Tune * Custom Exhaust * Custom bi-xenon projector headlights (pampered)
      1997 Acura SLX 4wd - 2" lift - Locker - bi-xenon HID headlights - Cerwin Vega speakers (daily driver)

2002 Volvo V70XC * Stage 2 Hilton Racing Tune * Custom Exhaust * Custom bi-xenon projector headlights (pampered)
      1997 Acura SLX 4wd - 2" lift - Locker - bi-xenon HID headlights - Cerwin Vega speakers (daily driver)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast