Steingold warranty not accepted in California?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steingold warranty not accepted in California?

Local dealer in north california said that what Mike (Steingold) is doing is against the law (that says you can’t sell insurance from across the state line in california), and that they don’t accept that warranty.

Any comments?
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription | Magic Blue + Amber Napa + 21 " 5-V spoke | Adv Pkg + 4-C Air Susp + Bowers and Wilkins + Heated Rear and Steering

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That doesn’t make much sense. My understanding is that they are good at any dealer. What if you bought the car from an out of state dealer and brought it there for service? Would they not honor the warranty? I doubt it and fail to see the difference. The warranty is from Volvo, not a specific dealer.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

on a few different other automobile manufacture forums....posters have stated that certain states do restrict where u can buy extended warranties...I recall Florida being one....if you buy your car in Florida....if you want to purchase an extended warranty, has to be from a Florida dealer....no clue if thats true....just what I have read..and I'm not in Florida, so really have not investigated it. A call to Volvo is the way to go...
      Last edited by flames9; 03-31-2019 at 08:12 PM.
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Call Volvo for a definitive answer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

My dealer in So.Cal. honors the Steingold warranty without a whimper. They were impressed how good it is (they now don't sell the Volvo warranty-- it's a third-party deal I didn't want). By its terms, the Volvo warranty is good nation-wide.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Sent an email to Volvo. Let’s see what they say.
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription | Magic Blue + Amber Napa + 21 " 5-V spoke | Adv Pkg + 4-C Air Susp + Bowers and Wilkins + Heated Rear and Steering

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      on a few different other automobile manufacture forums....posters have stated that certain states do restrict where u can buy extended warranties...I recall Florida being one....if you buy your car in Florida....if you want to purchase an extended warranty, has to be from a Florida dealer....no clue if thats true....just what I have read..and I'm not in Florida, so really have not investigated it. A call to Volvo is the way to go...
      Indeed that was the case some years ago. I believe that has since changed for here in Florida.

Got a reply from Volvo:

If it is a Volvo warranty (Volvo Increased Protection), it can be used at any authorized dealer. The state would not matter.

I would avoid that dealer, dishonest or ignorant, either way not good
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride
      Jeep WK2 owner x 3 (2011, 2014, 2016) Great vehicles, underrated IMO
      Dodge Durango 2016 Family hauler
      First car 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 5 spd RWD, acquired at 130K

Quote Originally Posted by specepic View Post
      I would avoid that dealer, dishonest or ignorant, either way not good
      well I see some ****ing ****head tattled on Steingold because they have completely changed their warranty offerings and now if you have over 1000mi you have to call them to get a warranty, you can't conveniently buy it online anymore.

to the ****head that did that, **** you.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      well I see some ****ing ****head tattled on Steingold because they have completely changed their warranty offerings and now if you have over 1000mi you have to call them to get a warranty, you can't conveniently buy it online anymore.

to the ****head that did that, **** you.
      I think @specepic meant to avoid the local dealer who said I can't buy from Steingold.

Quote Originally Posted by randomstuff View Post
      Got a reply from Volvo:

If it is a Volvo warranty (Volvo Increased Protection), it can be used at any authorized dealer. The state would not matter.

Local dealer in north california said that what Mike (Steingold) is doing is against the law (that says you can’t sell insurance from across the state line in california), and that they don’t accept that warranty.

Any comments?
      Did a sales guy say that or a service guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a reply from Volvo:

So the question then becomes: is the warranty you bought from Steingold a "Volvo warranty" or a third-party warranty?

If the first one, the dealer should accept it (according to Volvo).
      If the second one, it will depend on the dealer as they may not be required to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiwan View Post

Did a sales guy say that or a service guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It was the finance guy who tries to sell you all kinds of stuff after you think you finalized the deal with the salesman.

He was trying to sell me a third party extended warranty saying that 3rd party company has higher ratings than Volvo warranty, and acted surprised when I turned it down.

He also tried to sell me Gap insurance, and gave me a frown face saying “you really don’t want gap insurance? Ok...”

I think @specepic meant to avoid the local dealer who said I can't buy from Steingold.
      well it doesnt matter now, someone tattled on Steingold like a little bitch and so now you have to fill out a form for warranties for more than 1000 miles.
      https://squareup.com/store/steingold-volvo-cars/

If it was anyone here you are a little bitch and you should have your ass kicked.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Why would you mention steingold to your dealer?
      Current: 2017 V60 Polestar, 2019 XC90 T6 R-design, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Previous: 2005 S60R, VW Jetta 1.8T, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla

Any comments?
      Sounds like he's feeding you a line in an attempt to get a sale. Warranties are valid within the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedespeed100 View Post
      Steingold ONLY offers the Volvo VIP Plans - hence the reason for their popularity. Virtually every other dealer pawns off third-parties, or charges too much $$. If it’s from Steingold, it’s the Volvo VIP from Volvo Corporate for sure - they’re a family-owned store that stays true to whatever is backed by Volvo Cars Corp.
      Not totally accurate. Volvo warranties are backed by Fidelity and are still technically 3rd party since claims go through Fidelity and not Volvo.

well it doesnt matter now, someone tattled on Steingold like a little bitch and so now you have to fill out a form for warranties for more than 1000 miles.

If it was anyone here you are a little bitch and you should have your ass kicked.
      For as long as someone mentioned Steingold selling warranties on their website, the disclaimer has always stated for vehicles 1000 miles or less.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      For as long as someone mentioned Steingold selling warranties on their website, the disclaimer has always stated for vehicles 1000 miles or less.
      Correct, you could only buy warranties for cars less than 1,000 miles on line . . for all other extended warranties you had to call Steingold.

But Volvo VIP warranties are not 'technically 3rd party' warranties - they are Volvo factory warranties, offered by Volvo, which are administered by Fidelity. Let's not pretend for one moment they are the same as all other 3rd party warranties and that Volvo dealers can treat them like all other 3rd party warranties, because they can't.
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (66k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (87k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

No,

I have a saved link, which I won't post here now cause of tattle tales, that is for the warranty above 1000mi. This was available off their site until just recently. You can buy it straight from their store still with the link.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      Correct, you could only buy warranties for cars less than 1,000 miles on line . . for all other extended warranties you had to call Steingold.

But Volvo VIP warranties are not 'technically 3rd party' warranties - they are Volvo factory warranties, offered by Volvo, which are administered by Fidelity. Let's not pretend for one moment they are the same as all other 3rd party warranties and that Volvo dealers can treat them like all other 3rd party warranties, because they can't.
      Fidelity has a laundry list of complaints for failure to pay out claims. However, I think with Volvo's name attached to the Policy, they can't pull the same shenanigans. Since any repairs are submitted from the dealer to Fidelity. That being said, Fidelity still holds the purse strings and issues the Policies. So yes, I guess a better way of stating this is a Co-Branded Warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by dhdd View Post
      I don’t see a reason why we-shouldn’t-mention if it’s not illegal.

I don’t see a reason why we-shouldn’t-mention if it’s not illegal.
      I just don’t see what’s to gain from it. Lots of things are not illegal but one would t necessarily do those things either but whatever, not my problem.

For once I agree with you
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride

Correct

I just don’t see what’s to gain from it. Lots of things are not illegal but one would t necessarily do those things either but whatever, not my problem.
      There is nothing to gain. There was a conversation of how long I am planning to own the car and what my plans for the extended warranty are.

“one wouldn’t necessarily do those things” - one wouldn’t do anything only when they know it’s unethical or illegal. This is neither of those. So stop whining and just think for a minute. And yes it’s not your problem, so feel free to get out of this thread and take care of ur problems.

I can totally see mentioning Steingold to a dealer to try to get them to meet or beat the price. It’s not as if Steingold is a secret selling warranties on a street corner.......the issue here is that the CA dealer is a liar or sadly mistaken, imo nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      I can totally see mentioning Steingold to a dealer to try to get them to meet or beat the price. It’s not as if Steingold is a secret selling warranties on a street corner.......the issue here is that the CA dealer is a liar or sadly mistaken, imo nothing else.

Not saying otherwise but seems like a shady dealer, why even play their game, just get it from steigold or somehwhere else. I neogotiated between different dealers and never had to mention a name, but was implicit. But whatever floats people’s boats.

No,

I have a saved link, which I won't post here now cause of tattle tales, that is for the warranty above 1000mi. This was available off their site until just recently. You can buy it straight from their store still with the link.
      I don't know what saved link you have, but I bought my warranty from Steingold last year for my car which has over 70k miles on it, and I could not find a way to get a quote on a warranty for my car without directly emailing or calling Steingold. But more importantly, why would you want to buy a warranty without calling in and talking to someone directly? I have no doubt I got a better deal talking with Mike directly than I would have gotten by buying whatever a website quoted. It's a car dealership. Everthing is negotiable. Never pay sticker. If you can't/don't want to negotiate, you should be shopping at CarMax.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

The CA Dept. of Insurance website says:
      "Companies that sell VSCs in California over the Internet are committing a felony. You should never buy a VSC over the Internet."
      here https://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-cons...contextwar.cfm
      Steingold's website says:
      "Due to state regulations, CA residents are NOT ELIGIBLE for online Service Contract purchases."
      are there some exceptions to this (such as <1000 mile car); the wording seems pretty strong? On the other hand this restriction seems like an unfair anti-competitive rule. Why do I have to pay more to my local dealer instead?

Quote Originally Posted by bac9 View Post
      The CA Dept. of Insurance website says:
      "Companies that sell VSCs in California over the Internet are committing a felony. You should never buy a VSC over the Internet."
      here https://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-cons...contextwar.cfm
      Steingold's website says:
      "Due to state regulations, CA residents are NOT ELIGIBLE for online Service Contract purchases."
      are there some exceptions to this (such as <1000 mile car); the wording seems pretty strong? On the other hand this restriction seems like an unfair anti-competitive rule. Why do I have to pay more to my local dealer instead?
      So is there a offline way to buy this warranty and still have it honored by dealerships in CA?

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post

Fidelity has a laundry list of complaints for failure to pay out claims. However, I think with Volvo's name attached to the Policy, they can't pull the same shenanigans. Since any repairs are submitted from the dealer to Fidelity. That being said, Fidelity still holds the purse strings and issues the Policies. So yes, I guess a better way of stating this is a Co-Branded Warranty.
      I have fidelity for both my viper and my 911 turbo. They paid out on both. Painless and results came out great. Got transmission for the viper, water pump and starter for the porsche. I’ve known mike for 20 years and I’m the one that brought him onto here and porsche forum. He would not be selling fidelity if it wasn’t top notch.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

You can buy a Volvo VIP plan from anywhere and once it is applied to your car and shows up in the service system at Volvo they have to accept it, they dont know where you bought it from and you don't have to tell them. All that matters is whats in Volvos system.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast