No 2020 V60 AWD for US market?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No 2020 V60 AWD for US market?

I just got word from my local dealer that Volvo will not offer V60 with AWD for the US market - to get AWD requires purchasing the cross country.

I know there are some Volvo corporate people viewing this forum. I want them to know that this surprise is beyond unacceptable. I have been strung along for a year to finally see and purchase the V60 to have this unexpected product decision pop up.

I waited to order the V60 until I saw one in person. That happened at the beginning of March. I tried to place the order the following week and was told the 2019 MY V60 orders are sold out. So I wait for the 2020 MY to place the order.

If I knew the V60 AWD would only be available for 2019, I probably would have placed my order prior to seeing the car.

Instead I will now purchase a car from a different OEM unless Volvo changes their mind and I can purchase a 2020 V60 T6 AWD.

Not everyone in the US wants a lifted wagon with unnecessary plastic cladding on the sides. ...see Audi all road and Buick Regal tourX and understand why US wagon sales are so low.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don’t think that’s true. In Canada 🇨🇦, the V60, which went on sale 3 months before the S60, is available only as a T6 AWD or T8 Polestar, and will be moving forwards. I know the US is a different market but I assume that what Canada has is what the US will get this time around.
      cuRrent: 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar Crystal White/Off-Black Extended Leather

Past: 1998 Volvo V70 R AWD 5MT (Converted from a 5MT GLT AWD) Emerald Green/Black

1994 Volvo 854 Turbo 5MT Tropical Green/Sand

I think V60 T6 only comes with AWD. T5 could be FWD or AWD. This is from Sweden Volvo site.
      I guess VCUSA should get T6 if they have to restrict us.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 04-06-2019 at 06:52 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The V60 will be available only with the T5 engine and FWD.

The Cross Country will be the model offering AWD.
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 04-06-2019 at 10:41 PM.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post

No T8, no nothing, even by custom order?

Maybe just kill the wagons.

Thatís a shame that Volvo wonít offer the V60 in T6 AWD trim here in the US. I was a couple years away from shopping for my next vehicle, but the V60 was on the list because I generally donít buy sedans and want a hatch or wagon. Maybe Volvo will change their mind over the next couple years when itís time for me to buy.

I have no interest in a lifted wagon with cladding. For me, it ruins the look of the vehicle and I have a couple of SUVs already if I needed something with more ground clearance.

This sucks. For a model that has only just recently been delivered here, its ridiculous that its already getting cancelled. Guess I was dumb to wait to see what new colors MY20 brought for a V60 AWD T6 R-design.
      His: 2019 V60 T6 AWD R-Design P* - Denim Blue
      Her: 2017 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum - Magic Blue

Former:
      1998 S70 T5m - Nautic Blue
      '03 B5234T9 RN Swap, Koni FSD, Eibach ProKit, IPD Sways, Anthracite Comets, CJ's Downpipe, R Manifold, 18T, ARD Blue, Snabb Intake, Bosch H3 Projector Fogs

There are still 2019 T6 available, so get one of those instead of a 2020. See the Volvo site for the closest ones.

Strange choice on Volvo's part. Americans are craving SUV's atm for 3rd row space, hauling, and awd capabilities. You'd think a station wagon like the V60, offering both hauling capabilities and more room, would be equally popular. And the desire would lean towards AWD yet again?

Or is Volvo's numbers favoring FWD on sales for all models.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      No T8, no nothing, even by custom order?

Maybe just kill the wagons.
      You can get a V60 Polestar Engineered (PHEV) 415 hp.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Quote Originally Posted by cogtooth View Post
      There are still 2019 T6 available, so get one of those instead of a 2020. See the Volvo site for the closest ones.
      Yes, there are very few but search around...

I can see they don't want to spend money on EPA cert for a model that only sell hundreds a year, or dealership don't want to learn to service the additional parts on a wagon.
      Since sedan doesn't sell and people want higher rides anyways, V60 won't sell much anyways.
      If they want to reduce models, no need to make V60 at all. Give V60CC T5, T6, T8 (or T6PHEV, if battery space is less) and more color options and call it a day. That's better than selling a very limited V60 model.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 04-07-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Strange choice on Volvo's part
      <sigh> yes...

Depends on the Region...south, southeast and southwest, people like FWD. Not anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by GTIGuy
      Maybe Volvo will change their mind over the next couple years when itís time for me to buy.
      I sure hope so; I also had my sights on buying either a V60 T6 Inscription or R-design to replace our aged V70 T5 and now I have to rethink this whole think. Heck, I would even take a V60 T5 AWD in Inscription or R-design trim level... 😬

Strange choice on Volvo's part. Americans are craving SUV's atm for 3rd row space, hauling, and awd capabilities. You'd think a station wagon like the V60, offering both hauling capabilities and more room, would be equally popular. And the desire would lean towards AWD yet again?

My theory is larger margins with the cross country, so by not offering an AWD for V60, Volvo hopes the consumer will pick the V60CC.

The problem with that strategy is Volvo has no competition with the V60. They have competition with the v60 cross country.

So instead of worrying about cannibalizing, they could have doubled down on a neglected market. And let's not get into AWD being a safety feature and would align with their 2020 vision.

Quote Originally Posted by kbh View Post
      My theory is larger margins with the cross country, so by not offering an AWD for V60, Volvo hopes the consumer will pick the V60CC.

The problem with that strategy is Volvo has no competition with the V60. They have competition with the v60 cross country.

So instead of worrying about cannibalizing, they could have doubled down on a neglected market. And let's not get into AWD being a safety feature and would align with their 2020 vision.
      AWD is safer, and aligns better with 2020 vision.
      Neglected market is near-zero market, double down is still near-zero.

To reduce models due to EPA certs, it is better to make more body styles on same car. Try make choices from following models:

1. V60 T5 FWD (with full range body color choices)
      2. V60 T5 AWD (with full range body color choices)
      3. V60 T6 AWD (with full range body color choices)
      4. V60CC T5 AWD (with full range body color choices)
      5. V60CC T6 AWD (with full range body color choices)
      6. V60CC T6 TwinEngine (with full range body color choices)
      7. V60CC T6 AWD (with limited body colors, and body clad)

I'd pick 6, and one from 4 or 5. These two models will be more popular.
      Electrified is the future, unless they don't want to electrify USA.

Personally I would even buy a V60CC T5 FWD than a V60 AWD. I like the higher ride, and AWD is not a must for me.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 04-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Personally I would even buy a V60CC T5 FWD than a V60 AWD. I like the higher ride, and AWD is not a must for me.
      Difference of opinion. If I wanted a higher ride, I would get a crossover. The wagon gives me the interior space of a crossover with the ride of a sedan. Obviously I'm in the minority this side of the pond, which baffles me.

<sigh> yes...

I sure hope so; I also had my sights on buying either a V60 T6 Inscription or R-design to replace our aged V70 T5 and now I have to rethink this whole think. Heck, I would even take a V60 T5 AWD in Inscription or R-design trim level... 😬
      Fingers crossed! I had planned on ordering the perfect V60 T6 RDesign and do another OSD. While Iíve been a VW guy for decades, I really wanted a V70R several years ago and came close to buying one used. I love hot wagons as much as hot hatches🙂

You can get a V60 Polestar Engineered (PHEV) 415 hp.
      Hey Grecian,

Long time no speak! Do you know if the V60 Polestar Engineered will be ARB-compliant and on the list for HOV stickers? I'm thinking about finally trading in my 14 XC60 R-design (which I love) on a V60 Polestar Engineered, but not if it can't come with the HOV sticker like the other T8 models.
      2014 XC60 RD

Quote Originally Posted by JMFangio View Post
      Hey Grecian,

Long time no speak! Do you know if the V60 Polestar Engineered will be ARB-compliant and on the list for HOV stickers? I'm thinking about finally trading in my 14 XC60 R-design (which I love) on a V60 Polestar Engineered, but not if it can't come with the HOV sticker like the other T8 models.
      It is good V60 T8 P* engineered is still coming, at a higher price than T8 of course.
      It should be same for HOV sticker as other T8. Otherwise California gov is insane.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 04-07-2019 at 04:10 PM.

It is good V60 T8 P* engineered is still coming, at a higher price than T8 of course.
      It should be same for HOV sticker as other T8. Otherwise California gov is insane.
      Well, CA government can be a bit wacky. My understanding is that they have to test the specific model to certify it. While I know that the essential drivetrain is the same, there may be some differences (e.g., higher power output) that would necessitate a separate qualification.
      2014 XC60 RD

Quote Originally Posted by JMFangio View Post
      Well, CA government can be a bit wacky. My understanding is that they have to test the specific model to certify it. While I know that the essential drivetrain is the same, there may be some differences (e.g., higher power output) that would necessitate a separate qualification.
      Why don't they use EPA number as reference? Weird for CA gov to do automobile tests...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

So this is good bye Volvo. I was planning to replace my Audi with V60 T6 AWD next year. This was the only car in Volvo line I was considering. Sad...
      2017 BMW X5
      2016 Audi A6

Quote Originally Posted by marcinrudzki View Post
      So this is good bye Volvo. I was planning to replace my Audi with V60 T6 AWD next year. This was the only car in Volvo line I was considering. Sad...
      Given the HP of your Audi A6, in my opinion, you would be very happy with a V60 Cross Country T5 plus Polestar optimization. Not too many other wagons out there, that will give you the performance and standard equipment of the V60 Cross Country and for the price it will sell.

Thank you, Grecian for suggestion. I will consider it but if no V60 T6 AWD, I think I will just get 2020 Audi A6.
      2017 BMW X5
      2016 Audi A6

Quote Originally Posted by kbh View Post

Canada Iím pretty sure is still getting the T6 AWD V60. Virtually nothing is offered as a T5 FWD here, and I am 100% sure that Volvo is still bringing T6 AWD V60ís here. In Canada, people literally will not buy anything without AWD, and Volvos are no exception.

So then, my neighbouring Americans, if you want a V60 T6 AWD... come to Canada!! And letís not forget, if you donít want to do so, there is ALWAYS the T8 Polestar.

SVA
      cuRrent: 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar Crystal White/Off-Black Extended Leather

Past: 1998 Volvo V70 R AWD 5MT (Converted from a 5MT GLT AWD) Emerald Green/Black

<sigh> yes...
      Presumably Volvo hasn't offered an official explanation as to why the 180 on dropping AWD in favor of FWD?

Depends on the Region...south, southeast and southwest, people like FWD. Not anywhere else.
      I live in the snow belt these days and I still see a fair share of FWD, but also quite a few AWD. There's been about 3-4 occasions where an AWD would have saved my but. Once pulling out of the driveway and not noticing the plow "plowed me under". Had to push car because front wheels were stuck in drive way and back in road. Front wheels couldn't get a grip, but if I had AWD, those back wheels would have certainly gotten me unstuck.

Other time when Chicago hit -18 Degrees with -50 Degree windchill. Damn parking garage was frozen. All I could do is roll backwards, since again, FWD couldn't get a grip on the 2 wheels.

Prob been another time or two, but not all that often anyway. Still, I see eliminating an AWD option as poor planning and outlook on Volvo's part. Unless Volvo intends to eliminate their ling of station wagons.

I sure hope so; I also had my sights on buying either a V60 T6 Inscription or R-design to replace our aged V70 T5 and now I have to rethink this whole think. Heck, I would even take a V60 T5 AWD in Inscription or R-design trim level... 😬[/QUOTE]

I live in the snow belt these days and I still see a fair share of FWD, but also quite a few AWD. There's been about 3-4 occasions where an AWD would have saved my but. Once pulling out of the driveway and not noticing the plow "plowed me under". Had to push car because front wheels were stuck in drive way and back in road. Front wheels couldn't get a grip, but if I had AWD, those back wheels would have certainly gotten me unstuck.
      No doubt that AWD will always provide better traction in pretty much all conditions. However, our V70 T5 outfitted with GOOD winter tires (Vredestein) survived lots of snowstorms and climbing hills in Pennsylvania and, of course, the harsh winters of Chicagoland. Never had a major issue.

In Sweden, so many people drive FWD cars outfitted w/ quality winter tires with and without studs. No issues. I even saw quite a few RWD Volvos w/ studded winter tires when I was visiting close to the Arctic Circle.

The sad reality is that the majority of American consumers will not consider any FWD car if they live north of San Francisco, Oklahoma and Tennessee...

Other time when Chicago hit -18 Degrees with -50 Degree windchill. Damn parking garage was frozen. All I could do is roll backwards, since again, FWD couldn't get a grip on the 2 wheels.
      I think that if you had good winter tires (not all season) it would have been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by sva60_cyyzxc90 View Post
      Canada Iím pretty sure is still getting the T6 AWD V60. Virtually nothing is offered as a T5 FWD here, and I am 100% sure that Volvo is still bringing T6 AWD V60ís here. In Canada, people literally will not buy anything without AWD, and Volvos are no exception.

So then, my neighbouring Americans, if you want a V60 T6 AWD... come to Canada!! And letís not forget, if you donít want to do so, there is ALWAYS the T8 Polestar.

SVA
      I wouldn't bet anything more than a cup of coffee on that...

No doubt that AWD will always provide better traction in pretty much all conditions. However, our V70 T5 outfitted with GOOD winter tires (Vredestein) survived lots of snowstorms and climbing hills in Pennsylvania and, of course, the harsh winters of Chicagoland. Never had a major issue.

In Sweden, so many people drive FWD cars outfitted w/ quality winter tires with and without studs. No issues. I even saw quite a few RWD Volvos w/ studded winter tires when I was visiting close to the Arctic Circle.

The sad reality is that the majority of American consumers will not consider any FWD car if they live north of San Francisco, Oklahoma and Tennessee...

I think that if you had good winter tires (not all season) it would have been a different story.
      I run a Dedicated Winter tire. Nokian Hakka 3s. So can't fault the tire in any of my scenarios.

1. Stuck half on driveway and half on road. Front tires couldn't grip enough. 100% AWD only scenario.

2. Parking Garage in Chicago was snowy, slushy, sheet of ice in -18 Degrees Fahrenheit. AWD probably would have given me far more advantage. I simply rolled backwards (slowly) and gunned it up the ram the second time. Nokian Hakks 3s did OK then. Just bit nerve racking when there's about 6 or so inches of give on either side before clobbering the wall. Tight fit garage.

I wouldn't bet anything more than a cup of coffee on that...
      Then again, Volvo has always brought ďCanadian one-offsĒ. For instance, they brought Manual 850 Turboís and Rís here - hence why we had one - and 7 Manual V70 Turbo AWDís here - hence why we also had one and almost immediately turned it into a Manual V70R AWD with the help of our dealer (giving us a 1/1 car)!! Canada also got Four-C equipped XC70ís, in both generations, as well as S60R/V70Rís in Nautic Blue in 2004.

Thus I would not at all be surprised if the V60 continues as a T6 AWD here.

Quote Originally Posted by marcinrudzki View Post
      Thank you, Grecian for suggestion. I will consider it but if no V60 T6 AWD, I think I will just get 2020 Audi A6.
      When I discovered the V60 wagon last year I was pleased to know I had found my next dream car. I don't want to to drive a 'truck' by any other name (SUV, Crossover). When we decided on the Inspiration (loaded) our best choice was an OSD for a discount and a once in a lifetime partial free vacation. It was too late to order a MY2019 via the OSD program, so we were waiting for the MY2020 program to be announced for spring 2020 OSD delivery. Thank you Volvo. Thank you China ownership for showing your greedy fangs! I will be looking at the 2020 Audi unless Volvo changes its plans. I am disappointed.....Very sad news for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      When I discovered the V60 wagon last year I was pleased to know I had found my next dream car. I don't want to to drive a 'truck' by any other name (SUV, Crossover). When we decided on the Inspiration (loaded) our best choice was an OSD for a discount and a once in a lifetime partial free vacation. It was too late to order a MY2019 via the OSD program, so we were waiting for the MY2020 program to be announced for spring 2020 OSD delivery. Thank you Volvo. Thank you China ownership for showing your greedy fangs! I will be looking at the 2020 Audi unless Volvo changes its plans. I am disappointed.....Very sad news for me.
      It is a pure VCUSA decision, as V60 is available with various powertrain in Europe...

It is a pure VCUSA decision, as V60 is available with various powertrain in Europe...
      Good News*****I just spoke with Volvo OSD people about the availability of the V60 for the MY2020 wagon. They told me in 7-10 days they would release pricing information for the OSD program for the MY2020 wagon AND the CC. I am speculating that V60 wagons for MY2020 may not be stocked around the country but may be ordered by dealers (if desired) for stock or special order. This is good news for me as the Audi, VW, Buick, and Mercedes have less legroom and/or seats that are not going to work for me. So my conclusion is limited availability for V60 wagons for MY2020 is likely to be OSD, special order, and dealers with a market for wagons. I expect full MSRP price to be in effect for special orders unless a dealers buys them and they sit on the lot for a year. Best deal may be the OSD program if you have the flexibility and the desire to visit Europe at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      Good News*****I just spoke with Volvo OSD people about the availability of the V60 for the MY2020 wagon. They told me in 7-10 days they would release pricing information for the OSD program for the MY2020 wagon AND the CC. I am speculating that V60 wagons for MY2020 may not be stocked around the country but may be ordered by dealers (if desired) for stock or special order. This is good news for me as the Audi, VW, Buick, and Mercedes have less legroom and/or seats that are not going to work for me. So my conclusion is limited availability for V60 wagons for MY2020 is likely to be OSD, special order, and dealers with a market for wagons. I expect full MSRP price to be in effect for special orders unless a dealers buys them and they sit on the lot for a year. Best deal may be the OSD program if you have the flexibility and the desire to visit Europe at a discount.
      As you've read above, V60 is available in T5 FWD only for US and will be the only V60 sent to EPA certification. OSD won't let you order other V60 variant either for US buyers.

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 04-08-2019 at 12:26 PM.

As you've read above, V60 is available in T5 FWD only for US and will be the only V60 sent to EPA certification. OSD won't let you order other V60 variant either for US buyers.

Ok...So I might have to settle for the V60 T-5 FWD R, as the Inscription is only made as an AWD T6 and is not likely to be imported as a 2020 model. I am not ready to buy a MY2019 at this time. Looks like I will be in the market for studded snow tires, Normally, I would just use a regular snow tire in winter. Honestly, I prefer the traction of my Subaru Legacy with full time AWD and snow tires to the Haldex as needed Borg Warner design with snow tires. It adds weight, cost, and degrees MPG even when not adding traction. Full time AWD really is worth the MPG reduction-not sure I can say the same for the Haldex version. I will try out the R seats at my local dealer, I was looking at the Inscription for the Luxury Seats as my primary incentive plus the other great Volvo features. Once again I must settle! Tall people are an under served minority! Yeah....I know....Nobody feels sorry for tall people.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast