How are you hauling your bikes in your XC60?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Just for fun....

Which bikes are you hauling, and how?

I am starting this conversation to see the various ways everyone is hauling around their bicycles. There have been a few XC60 SPA18+ threads on trailer hitches and roof racks already. The roof rack is an option if I ever had to haul to bikes etc. for a trip without impact to lease, but my 2 bike hauling is very, very rare, but I am sure I could rent or borrow if needed (though may need some XC rail brackets)

I had a great Kuat NV v1 hitch rack on my Acura, required because my 29er Mountain Bike would not fit in the trunk with seats folded down. But because my XC60, which is a lease, I didn't add a trailer hitch to continue using the Kuat rack since both my road bike and 29er MTB bike fit independently, in the XC60 cargo area - without removing the wheels. The 29er MTB barely fits and takes a bit of wrestling. I have also loaded my two bikes (road and older MTB 26" , stacked, both with front wheels removed, separated by a moving blanket. I've also transported my bigger 29er bike and tons of luggage/cargo for a long weekend. I know it has much less space than the XC90 but I would not enjoy finding a parking spot on the street when I go to SF (which is often).

So share your bike hauling pics and stories with the XC60.

Cheers, ed

BTW, I use this Cargo liner (large) when needed https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $40US
      Last edited by VeeXCee; 04-08-2019 at 01:14 AM.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VeeXCee View Post
      Just for fun....

I am starting this conversation to see the various ways everyone is hauling around their bicycles. There have been a few XC60 SPA18+ threads on trailer hitches and roof racks already. The roof rack is an option if I ever had to haul to bikes etc. for a trip without impact to lease, but my 2 bike hauling is very, very rare, but I am sure I could rent or borrow if needed (though may need some XC rail brackets)

I had a great Kuat NV v1 hitch rack on my Acura, required because my 29er Mountain Bike would not fit in the trunk with seats folded down. But because my XC60, which is a lease, I didn't add a trailer hitch to continue using the Kuat rack since both my road bike and 29er MTB bike fit independently, in the XC60 cargo area - without removing the wheels. The 29er MTB barely fits and takes a bit of wrestling. I have also loaded my two bikes (road and older MTB 26" , stacked, both with front wheels removed, separated by a moving blanket. I've also transported my bigger 29er bike and tons of luggage/cargo for a long weekend. I know it has much less space than the XC90 but I would not enjoy finding a parking spot on the street when I go to SF (which is often).

Cheers, ed

BTW, I use this Cargo liner (large) when needed https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $40US
      I did this for years with my XC60. Up until I needed to transport two bikes around.

Never again will I shove a bike into the back of my Volvos.

Bikes:
      MTB 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8
      Road 2017 Raleigh Merit 3
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

This is what my setup looks like.

Once I install my hitch I can carry up to 5. Might be able to get to that in the next few days. Not that I would carry all 5 at once.

Road: Trek Emonda S5
      Road: Cannondale CAAD 8
      MT: Trek 4300
      MT: Cannondale F4
      MT: Trek 3500

Hitch Rack is a Thule T2 Classic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by n a m; 04-09-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added Link
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The bikes are light enough that I didn't have any issues getting them up on the outer set. The center was more problematic even with the car at its lowest. I have to stand on tiptoes to get to it but it works. Once the bike is balanced it can be tightened through the sunroof. I'm ok with that. I'm 6'2" btw.
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

Depending on the headliner height, you can get two fork mounts (either QR or thru axle) and mount them on a 2x6 and have both bikes sit upright. In a Mercedes ML, I use a quick release seat post lever and remove my bike seat, but my wife's seat is fine in height. It takes trial and error to make sure the handlebars don't hit each other. I'm hoping the ordered XC40 OSD will be able to use the same mounts, though I suspect both bike seats will have to be removed. In this age of cordless saws, I don't trust the locking roof racks since one could just cut off the rack or bike. For those of you who are not avid cyclists, our cars are accessories for our bikes and not the other way around. The same two bike mount gets attached to a cheap hitch carrier (Harbor Freight?) when longer trips with more storage is needed. Two bike mounts are about $40 and the hitch carrier is about $80 which is way less expensive than commercial racks.

Thule two place hitch mount rack (I don’t know the model)
      Bikes: 2017 Giant Trance Advance 1
      2017 Cannondale Synapse hi-mod ultegra disc
      2013 Trek Madone 4.5 (wife’s)

Only ever carry 2 road bikes at the most, my wife doesn’t mtb cycle.
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvo’s: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

In Car Bike Rack

Quote Originally Posted by VeeXCee View Post
      Just for fun....

Cheers, ed

I recently built an in car bike rack that suits my specific needs. I haul two bikes max and didn't feel compelled to purchase a dedicated rack or hitch mount. I own a 2017 XC60 but the rack could likely be adapted to another make/model. If fact I just completed another system for my brother-in-law's Acura MDX. I've attached a link to the specific thread which includes a PDF of the rack fabrication and materials. Hope this helps anyone considering a similar setup.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Car-Bike-Rack
      2017 Onyx Black XC60 Premium +/Sport Seats, Titania Wheels, P* Tune

I am using Thule Aero Bars with two Kuat Trios. Incredibly rock solid.

Thanks for the followup posts. Glad to see you are all hauling bikes! I went camping this past weekend with a big group of non-bikers. and I was hauling tents and gear, for three for a seasonal get-together and what we harvested from the farm. So biking was barely an option, but I looked up options on Swedespeed and found my own thread! I may look into rails if the potential for multi-bike transport happens again.

I use a towbar rack, Thule Velocompact 3 (with +1 adapter).
      I need to regularly carry 5 bikes for the whole family. The bike for my youngest is still small enough to be chucked into the boot with wheels removed.

I use the 1upUSA quick rack. We have the two additional trays to carry 4 bikes.

Super fast to install - less than 5 mins and bike go on or come off in less than 30 seconds. One of the best racks on the market.

2018 XC60 T8 R-Design / Osmium Grey Metallic / Convenience / Vision / Advanced / Bowers and Wilkins / 4-Corner Air / Heated Front Seats and Steering Wheel
      Decommissioned at 57k miles - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription / Osmium Grey Metallic / 21" 8-Spoke Diamond Cut Wheels / Charcoal Ventilated Perforated Leather / Charcoal Headliner / Climate / Convenience / Vision / CarPlay / Protection Plus / Polestar+
      Traded In at 161k miles - 2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD / Cosmic White / Off Black Leather w/ Beige / Polestar / Fully Loaded

I purchased the aluminum bike carrier today for just over $100. One of the dealers nearby is having a $50 off sale on them until the end of the month.

The load bars part number for 2018+ XC60 is changing (from 31470246 to 32270144) and the new part # has a higher price. Ymmv.

| 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |

Keep them coming folks. Great to see these!

Do hitch racks interfere with any of the driver-assist features, like park assist pilot?

Yes it does - when you back up you have to disable the rear sensors or else it screams it head off - it actually detects the interference and shuts its self off. In addition, depending on how wide your bikes are on the rack, the blind spot monitoring system is also affected...The indicator lights are always on on the side view mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by spas1 View Post

Super fast to install - less than 5 mins and bike go on or come off in less than 30 seconds. One of the best racks on the market.

Which hitch you have installed on the XC60 ?

/kleks

I bought the Uhaul hitch - I got a great deal on it. I think I paid $150 CAD for it. The Uhaul dealer had it instock for many months and just want to get rid of it.

Stealth hitch with Thule easy-fold to haul two Pedego City Commuters

Thule easy-fold was one of the only racks that could handle the weight of two e-bikes.

When installed on the car. The lift gate barely misses the rack without bikes loaded.

The rack tilts away if needed. We sometimes do this with the bikes loaded, although one of us typically holds the bikes while tilted.

Here it is all loaded up

Shared these previously but here it is with the hitch receiver on

Here it is with it off

Last edited by callmecjp; 10-23-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I purchased the aluminum bike carrier today for just over $100. One of the dealers nearby is having a $50 off sale on them until the end of the month.

The load bars part number for 2018+ XC60 is changing (from 31470246 to 32270144) and the new part # has a higher price. Ymmv.

Who makes the Volvo rack?

Quote Originally Posted by ean10775 View Post
      Who makes the Volvo rack?
      Thule Sweden AB

Seriously a Thule roof carrier for $100 is a great deal.

I've actually been piling two bikes on top of each other the back of my XC60. I put a moving blanket between the two. It's not idea, but I don't have a tow hitch on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I've actually been piling two bikes on top of each other the back of my XC60. I put a moving blanket between the two. It's not idea, but I don't have a tow hitch on mine.
      I did that in my first XC60. NEVER AGAIN. At first it wasn’t so bad with just one bike, but once a second is added it’s a tangled mess. Then there’s no good place to store your gear and spare parts. No matter how careful I was, I would often scratch something or find a grease/mud stain the next day.

One bike works fine. Two bikes is a problem. I've not had any problems with stains, scratches, etc but piling two $2500 bikes on top of each other is nerve wracking. Also, it's a pain in the a. Next Volvo will have a hitch. But, this one is leased.

Walkabout, I've mentioned I've done that bike bunk bed stack of bikes, separated by a few good moving blankets. And my fancy Santa Cruz bike is already scratched. as is my 15 yr old road bike, but I still treat them as new. I have a very nice Kuat rack that works great for the 29er Santa Cruz. Storage for gear is on the floor in the rear seating area. Lots of space there. But I hear you.... I want a trailer hitch, roof rack, all of it. But, I too am leasing and didn't want the hassle of modifications, beyond my ceramic window tinting.

Quote Originally Posted by spas1 View Post

I have been looking at their bike haulers. They are super well made.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements