Reduced Engine Performance + Engine System Service Required
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Reduced Engine Performance + Engine System Service Required

So I've got these two warnings on my dash in tandem. I've scoured the internet forums pretty good and didn't find anyone describing a problem that was quite like mine. Some mentioned being able to get the warning to go away after shutting off the car or disconnecting the battery then having it come back on. Some said their car went into "limp mode" which seems like it was crawling at like 10mph or something. Some described the car running rough. Mine is running like new and has done so like this for about three weeks now except that the acceleration is miserable and it probably tops out at around 50 or mph. I'm waiting for the VIDA that I ordered, but that's been a completely different struggle. Does anyone have any guesses on this one? Does the fact I am getting both of those warnings help point to something specific? Maybe they are an unrelated coincidence?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You really do need vida to properly troubleshoot this but I think you figured they out already. You may be able to get a head start by plugging into a generic scanner though. Even generic codes would help you plan out next steps.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

It may be all related, you won't know until you can code scan or VIDA fault scan the car. Terrible acceleration and limited top speed is exactly limp mode. Car won't rev over 3K rpm and won't go over 60mph unless you're on a decline.
      While waiting for your DiCE/VIDA unit to arrive, I'd highly suggest going to a big chain auto parts store and borrowing one of their code scanners. Of course not as through as VIDA, but you'll most likely be able to see what's going on, on the surface code wise such as a misfire or something else causing you car to go into limp mode. Good luck!!

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Phixion View Post
      It may be all related, you won't know until you can code scan or VIDA fault scan the car. Terrible acceleration and limited top speed is exactly limp mode. Car won't rev over 3K rpm and won't go over 60mph unless you're on a decline.
      While waiting for your DiCE/VIDA unit to arrive, I'd highly suggest going to a big chain auto parts store and borrowing one of their code scanners. Of course not as through as VIDA, but you'll most likely be able to see what's going on, on the surface code wise such as a misfire or something else causing you car to go into limp mode. Good luck!!

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
      Good tip. I guess the worst that could happen other than nothing is that I get some useful information. Luckily I'm still able to get around town just fine, albeit a little slowly coming off a dead stop. I'm having a nightmare of a time getting my VIDA from my seller on Ebay. I just got a tracking number today after ordering on 3/20.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox View Post
      Good tip. I guess the worst that could happen other than nothing is that I get some useful information. Luckily I'm still able to get around town just fine, albeit a little slowly coming off a dead stop. I'm having a nightmare of a time getting my VIDA from my seller on Ebay. I just got a tracking number today after ordering on 3/20.
      https://www.autoguysland.com/best-ob...droid-and-ios/
      Hi.

Why don't you lend a scan tool from autostore or some similar place?
      Other option is buying a cheap OB" bluetooth scan tool, that you use in combination with an app for your smartphone.
      You will be able to read the generic codes only, but it's better than noting.

Speaking from experience, VIDA often becomes a project in itself that’s best tackled when you are not 2x as frustrated because you need it to work to get your car to work. You may want to bite bullet and get dealer to read codes for a fee or at least get started with generic from auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      Speaking from experience, VIDA often becomes a project in itself that’s best tackled when you are not 2x as frustrated because you need it to work to get your car to work. You may want to bite bullet and get dealer to read codes for a fee or at least get started with generic from auto parts store.

Yup,especially if you get Vida software and do the loading of it yourself! Many have nightmares getting their computer to operate Vida.I chose another route and bought a Vida dedicated laptop from member on here Dave Leach,"TacklaNHL" I didn't regret it.Outstanding service,easy to work with and a lifetime warranty.

So I’m 10 days into owning my first Volvo but I still don’t understand the vida dice thing....everyone seems to say it is essential to diagnose problems. Doesn’t a standard OBD2 reader work to read codes on a Volvo?

A standard code reader does just that.Read codes in generic code language.Volvo codes are for Volvo but they are more specific and some codes are cross referenced. But Vida is far different. 1st Vida is the program that you can run on a computer that can support it.Not all computers can.It depends on the OS,memory etc.Dice is a interface that plugs into the diagnostic port on the car and connects it to your computer.So,,Vida with a dice interface can actually communicate with the computers and the modules of the electronics on your vehicle.In addition Vida software has a repair index that is similar to having a shop manual.It also has both mechanical and electrical diagrams and a parts catalog.A code reader can easily put you on a path of mystery and misery.Having vida will not fix your car! You must have an understanding of at least the basic functions of modern automotive electronics "Canbus" control area network systems and mechanical systems as well.The best advice I can give you is READ about auto electronics and WATCH Youtube vids on Vida.Some vids are very good.some are just pure horse****.Weed through and you will see.Having said that, know that there is a bit of a learning curve with operating Vida.Someone should come up with a manual for operating vida as it could reduce the time to see everything it can do.It's all out there on the web.With patients,you can self teach and save yourself tons of $$$ My vida laptop cost me $250.It was only needed by me 1 time so far in the 2 yrs.I have owned it but it paid for itself the first time I needed it.I hope this helps ya.

Quote Originally Posted by chefricky View Post
      A standard code reader does just that.Read codes in generic code language.Volvo codes are for Volvo but they are more specific and some codes are cross referenced. But Vida is far different. 1st Vida is the program that you can run on a computer that can support it.Not all computers can.It depends on the OS,memory etc.Dice is a interface that plugs into the diagnostic port on the car and connects it to your computer.So,,Vida with a dice interface can actually communicate with the computers and the modules of the electronics on your vehicle.In addition Vida software has a repair index that is similar to having a shop manual.It also has both mechanical and electrical diagrams and a parts catalog.A code reader can easily put you on a path of mystery and misery.Having vida will not fix your car! You must have an understanding of at least the basic functions of modern automotive electronics "Canbus" control area network systems and mechanical systems as well.The best advice I can give you is READ about auto electronics and WATCH Youtube vids on Vida.Some vids are very good.some are just pure horse****.Weed through and you will see.Having said that, know that there is a bit of a learning curve with operating Vida.Someone should come up with a manual for operating vida as it could reduce the time to see everything it can do.It's all out there on the web.With patients,you can self teach and save yourself tons of $$$ My vida laptop cost me $250.It was only needed by me 1 time so far in the 2 yrs.I have owned it but it paid for itself the first time I needed it.I hope this helps ya.
      I have an OBD code reader that has module diagnostics, real time systems monitoring (graphing, etc.), I haven’t plugged it in to the Volvo yet but my understanding is that OBD diagnostic tools are universal. I understand the manual, diagram and schematics aspect of vida but for basic diagnostics I’ve never needed anything beyond my OBD reader. Now I can’t reprogram or modify any engine control system parameters with mine, and it doesn’t allow me to modify anything while operating the car, but it is very versatile when it comes to monitoring. For example, real time throttle position, real time fuel trim monitoring, o2 sensor data, fuel pressure, etc.....
      Last edited by Euro1Volvo; 04-10-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chefricky View Post
      It sounds like I'm going to have a second project on my hands when this finally arrives, but will hopefully save me headaches in the long run. So you mention the parts catalog. Does this mean that when it diagnoses a problem, it will provide a part number specific to my car? If so, that is going to be pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox View Post
      It sounds like I'm going to have a second project on my hands when this finally arrives, but will hopefully save me headaches in the long run. So you mention the parts catalog. Does this mean that when it diagnoses a problem, it will provide a part number specific to my car? If so, that is going to be pretty sweet.
      Well, it won't give you part #'s when diagnosing an issue but it will often make suggestions to test specific components that you can then easily look up in the parts catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      Well, it won't give you part #'s when diagnosing an issue but it will often make suggestions to test specific components that you can then easily look up in the parts catalogue.
      Right on. Supposedly it finally arrives today. I can't wait to monkey with it and figure out what's going on with the car.

The VIDA never arrived, so I went ahead and took it to the corner Auto Zone to see if any codes would come up. I got P2121 and P2122, both indicating Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch as well as a third one, P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. Should I start with a throttle position sensor here? That seems to explain why the car still runs well, but is still in limp mode.

So I've gotten a P2127 on occasions which will render the car into limp mode, or in the extreme cases that I've experienced, leave the gas pedal completely inoperable to any input. Not safe while on the freeway and it happens, or while attempting to make a left turn... The pedal position sensor is built into the gas pedal, so the whole pedal assembly will need to be replaced. My understanding is that it's really just a couple of bolts that hold it in place plus the wire harness that goes to it. I don't believe that it's a Throttle Position Sensor issue... Possible in your case, but pedal position sensor is pretty exact and that's what that code eludes to...

As for the P0420, have had that also and that means that you need a new upstream O2 sensor. If your car is FWD, then it's super easy to get to from underneath the car. The wire harness connector to it however is a bit difficult, but I got to it on mine from under the car as well, and without removing anything else. Many people have success accessing the harness connector from above by removing the intake airbox to turbo pipe... I have mention of my process when I replaced mine in the "what did you do with your S60 today" thread, I think I may have also started my own thread on it as well...
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

Hello arcticfox,
      Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?
      I seem to have same story...
      Thanks in advance!
      2008 V70
      ---------------------------------
      2015 Mercedes C300
      2013 Mercedes E350 Sedan
      2013 Mercedes E350 Coupe
      2013 Porsche Cayman 5spd
      2001 Volvo XC70 Auto
      2004 BMW M3 Vert 6spd
      1995 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
      1998 Audi A4 5spd