SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Brag about your gas mileage!

7K views 93 replies 38 participants last post by  MyVolvoS60 
#1 ·
15.5 S60 FWD....Cruising Highway in Eco + Some City Driving (10%). Had to take off Eco mode a few times due to elevation and road steepness. And to pass of course...None the less, 555 miles is pretty commendable for a 17 gallon tank!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tachometer Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
I consistently get 31 plus mpg on longer roadtrips with the I6 & polestar tune. pittsburgh to Detroit or DC

#6 ·
Eco mode or normal driving?

#8 ·
Normal lead-foot driving is about 25 mpgs in mixed city/hwy miles with my 2012 S60 T5

Highway only at about 65-70 mph is usually about 28 mpgs

Highway only 50-55 mphs with no A.C., tires fully inflated, driving slow, etc gets about 33 mpgs

#3 ·
My best on the 2012 R-D is ~28.5 MPG over trips from NC to VT @ 72MPH.

#5 ·
I consistently get this sort of range from a tank /s

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
1221 KM = ~785 Miles. How many liters are in the V60? I'm guessing it has a much larger tank than the S60 (17 gallon / 63 liters).

#13 ·
Eco Mode helps a lot, but terrain is definitely a factor. If one lives in a mountainous region, with a lot of incline, gas mileage will certainly be affected.

#14 ·
My 2015.5 V60 with a brand new 2.0 turbo drive-e engine just got 33 mpg on a 500 mile drive with the cruise control set at 75 mph, eco mode on, A/C on, premium gas.
I often get 23-27 mpg with my 12 mile mixed commute.

These are my calculated numbers after gassing up.

My trip statistics readout is usually 2 mpg higher than what I calculate when I pump gas (miles driven since last fill up divided by number of gallons needed to fill up).

#15 ·
When I filled up this morning, the estimated range on a full tank was 630 miles (1,013 km), but that was after a 45 minute stint at 65 mph and there's no way I'll actually get that much range. Overall I'm pretty happy though - I've consistently gotten about 400 miles to a tank in mixed driving despite the inline 6. :)

#16 ·
Hmmm... Well my S60 has gotten ~600 miles before on eco mode. But you have a T6 vs T5 so that does make a difference.

#19 ·
With my 05 S40 T5 AWD 5 speed automatic I'm getting around 10l/100km (23 mpg) in daily mixed driving. Once warmed up, the trip computer shows about 7l/100km (33 mph) on highway driving conservatively...

#21 ·
17 gallons of usable capacity. Officially 17.8 gallons, but it's not realistic to assume that a person will be coasting into a gas station just as the last bit of fuel is being used up. For real world range then, have to calculate off of about 17 gallons and not 17.8.

At 36 mpg, 17 gallons would get me 612 miles. I just don't see that happening.

#22 ·
Terrain really has an affect on mileage. If you're going up and down steep terrain, you will clearly be burning more fuel on inclines. That being said, I believe I got pretty close to 600 miles on one drive. Since I am adverse to pushing my vehicle to the next gas station, I avoid coasting on fumes!

#23 ·
There is no way to get 600 miles on the I6. The best I've ever obtained was nearly 500 miles and I averaged just under 30 MPG. I was also travelling 55-60 MPH through Virginia and North Carolina backroads.

I just recently did a 26.6 MPG and got to just over 420ish miles which took ~17.1 gallons to fill up. The car was telling me I had 40 miles left to empty. That route was my daily work commute, where 70 percent of the travel is I-95 and the rest stop and go lights in the cities. That stop and go really kills the mileage.

#24 ·
There is no way to get 600 miles on the I6. The best I've ever obtained was nearly 500 miles and I averaged just under 30 MPG. I was also travelling 55-60 MPH through Virginia and North Carolina backroads.

I just recently did a 26.6 MPG and got to just over 420ish miles which took ~17.1 gallons to fill up. The car was telling me I had 40 miles left to empty. That route was my daily work commute, where 70 percent of the travel is I-95 and the rest stop and go lights in the cities. That stop and go really kills the mileage.
Yup. Sounds pretty spot-on with my experience. I live well outside the city and commute on a train so most of my driving is at 60-65 on freeways which comes out to a range of just around 400 miles. I would imagine that at least 450 miles and possibly 500 miles could be in the cards if I did a long freeway-only trip but anything in town just kills mileage. And 600 miles is just not happening with this car, no matter what the dashboard range estimate says. :) I wouldn't trade the I6 for better mileage though, this engine is a real gem.

#27 ·
How many miles was trip?

1 You should be running premium on Volvo Turbo Engines....While 89 is "usable" there is a noticeable performance difference if you ask me. My car felt sluggish the one time i did 89.

2. Do you use top tier fuel? Just another suggestion, it keeps your engine valves cleaner.

#34 ·
I’m just impressed that my 3850lb AWD 325hp 6-cylinder V60RD can get 8.5l/100km at 120 km/h.
Next Volvo will be the Polestar 2, so I won’t worry about the price of 94 octane (nor my next service interval) any more. Maybe we’ll keep the V60RD as a classic example of peak gasoline engine technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I can brag about my gas mileage but other way around XD
Living downhill, doing mainly street driving, I am doing a great..19/20mpg in average with T5 V60

That being said, on highway at 60mph (Thanks WA), I goes in an average of 30/38mpg which is awesome

#40 · (Edited)
Just for a basis, my 97 960 2.9 I6 RWD gets around 28-28.5 mpg on the highway with E10 gas with the cruise control set at 65 mph. When I was able to get straight gasoline, no ethanol, I was getting 29.25-29.5 mpg. BTW the 960 has a .36 Cd and an 80L, 21.3 gallon gas tank

Around town the car is a Fuel Sucking Pig, normal mileage is in the 15-16 mpg range. :( That is why the car is used exclusively on the highway.

#41 ·
We just got our best mileage ever - 40k miles t6 awd Polestar tune polestar exhaust system - on a tank of Chevron hi-test by doing a lot of coasting down the 4000 foot grades that lead to and from my house in the rural mountains of south-central California.

27.4 mpg achieved by using eco-mode, coasting down the grapevine when safe, after new air filter and a fresh oil change last week.

Thought we were doing pretty good at that considering the fact that our S-60 never gets driven on anything resembling a flat roadway way!

Michael

#42 ·
Nice. Mines a T5 FWD and I just checked Trip meter... I got 550 miles as you can see in my first post. Trip Meter says 32.5 but that's been biased by some city driving. ~34MPH on Highway with Eco + Cruise Control + 75-79 MPH.....Speeds here are 70... I believe in doing 5-9 over so not to piss off everyone else on the road behind me!

#50 · (Edited)
Actually got my first ever speeding ticket in over forty years of driving on my cross-country road trip last week... around here if you're doing less than 15 over on the highway you're at the front of a traffic jam... crossing the WY/NE state line on I-80 we got to the end of a single lane construction zone and entered a 75 limit - I got to my usual 9 over in the left lane with a blue minivan in the right lane alongside me doing about the same speed and coming up to a slow moving truck in front of him. I didn't want to box him in so gave the gas a slight squeeze to increase my passing speed and let him pull out behind me. That was the moment a Nebraska state trooper clocked me at 86... wrote me a ticket for 85 in a 75, $25 fine and $49 costs... guess I have to just suck it up since it would likely cost me 10 times that amount to go back there for court :\

#51 ·
And they know that 99% of people from out of state aren't going to travel back and contest a ticket....I got pulled over going from California ---> Kansas where I was flashed for going 70 in a 70 (was tired).

Reason? I was in the right lane too long and passing only. Cop saw cali plates and wanted to search car. I didnt feel like arguing and the jackass tossed everything, making huge mess of luggage. Generally, I would have raised a storm, but I was too damn tired to argue. Otherwise, I'd of told him no you can't, sat there an hour while he found a drug dog hrs away in his hick town, and chilled.

But sometimes, the headache isn't worth arguing over....He got his jollies and I didnt get a ticket.. so whatever.

#53 ·
MPG is finally starting to increase as the weather gets warmer! (T5 Drive E, city only)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FWD or AWD? 25 MPG city is pretty darn good, considering highway is in the low 30s!

#55 ·
Now I can brag about it ^^

Did a big road trip on 3 days. more than 800miles.
MPG: 37 average and topped at a point to 42mpg (cruising 50mph for a long time on nice road)

Loved it. I felt puzzled at a point where I normally have to refill and here...still have plenty of room.

#69 ·
Eco or no Eco?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.