Brag about your gas mileage! - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      ...snip...
      But realistically, who really wants to drive 55 ?
      ...snip...
      A few years ago, we drove 200 miles at the highway speed limit +3 mph with an insurance company's 'big brother' module plugged into the diagnostics port. Never thought I'd ever get flipped off by Prius drivers .
      Last edited by halfast3; 04-23-2019 at 04:56 PM.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, '68 122S Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
      'round these parts you would be killed going 55 mph in the right lane...
      Used to be calmer around my way, but same here now..this world is in a big hurry nowadays..

Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      A few years ago, we drove 200 miles at the highway speed limit +3 mph with an insurance company's 'big brother' module plugged into the diagnostics port. Never thought I'd ever get flipped off by Prius drivers .
      I'll actually drive 55-60 sometimes just to enjoy the car's soft suspension and reduced road noise. I'm surprised a Prius driver would flip the bird on you. The last time a driver flipped the bird on me was in my old 2009 VW Jetta TDI and it was a Subaru Outback during the Dieselgate coverage in the media.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

My 2005 S60, 2.5T, will get 23 mpg driven carefully around town, here in Fort Worth. Based on the instantaneous mpg display, I expect to get between 30 and 40 mpg on a long trip, but that has not been proven yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Have a 2017 XC90 (not hybrid). Using Eco mode, traveled form Northern VA to Central TN driving mostly over 70 mph and got 26.9 mpg. Very happy!
      Last edited by Steve13; 04-24-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Left somerging out
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Osmium Grey | All Options | Polestar

Just for a basis, my 97 960 2.9 I6 RWD gets around 28-28.5 mpg on the highway with E10 gas with the cruise control set at 65 mph. When I was able to get straight gasoline, no ethanol, I was getting 29.25-29.5 mpg. BTW the 960 has a .36 Cd and an 80L, 21.3 gallon gas tank

Around town the car is a Fuel Sucking Pig, normal mileage is in the 15-16 mpg range. That is why the car is used exclusively on the highway.
      Last edited by pghvolvo; 04-24-2019 at 12:51 PM.

We just got our best mileage ever - 40k miles t6 awd Polestar tune polestar exhaust system - on a tank of Chevron hi-test by doing a lot of coasting down the 4000 foot grades that lead to and from my house in the rural mountains of south-central California.

27.4 mpg achieved by using eco-mode, coasting down the grapevine when safe, after new air filter and a fresh oil change last week.

Thought we were doing pretty good at that considering the fact that our S-60 never gets driven on anything resembling a flat roadway way!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Repsolgamma View Post
      We just got our best mileage ever - 40k miles t6 awd Polestar tune polestar exhaust system - on a tank of Chevron hi-test by doing a lot of coasting down the 4000 foot grades that lead to and from my house in the rural mountains of south-central California.

27.4 mpg achieved by using eco-mode, coasting down the grapevine when safe, after new air filter and a fresh oil change last week.

Thought we were doing pretty good at that considering the fact that our S-60 never gets driven on anything resembling a flat roadway way!

Michael
      Nice. Mines a T5 FWD and I just checked Trip meter... I got 550 miles as you can see in my first post. Trip Meter says 32.5 but that's been biased by some city driving. ~34MPH on Highway with Eco + Cruise Control + 75-79 MPH.....Speeds here are 70... I believe in doing 5-9 over so not to piss off everyone else on the road behind me!

Used to be calmer around my way, but same here now..this world is in a big hurry nowadays..

I'll actually drive 55-60 sometimes just to enjoy the car's soft suspension and reduced road noise. I'm surprised a Prius driver would flip the bird on you. The last time a driver flipped the bird on me was in my old 2009 VW Jetta TDI and it was a Subaru Outback during the Dieselgate coverage in the media.

I hope that's not on the highway (55-60).....

Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      Surprised it was just the Prius Owner...I bet the little old lady drivers had some choice words, too!

And you probably had 3 miles of traffic behind you cussing, too.....Pet peeve... Trucks that Congo Line all 3-4 Lanes on Highway so no one can pass and Drivers that think the speed limit is optional!

I get 14L/100km = ~ 16.8MPG.

My car is bloody quick has a lot of torque and I use it. I wouldn't expect anything less otherwise I may as well buy a Prius.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Exhaust
      2012 XC90 3.2 R-Design - Ice White

I get about 15.9 ish miles per gallon mix of city and traffic freeways, but I'm in an 05 v70r so ya know kinda comes with the territory

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I hope that's not on the highway (55-60).....
      Only on roadtrips where there are at least 4 or 5 lanes and I can vegetate on the right-most lane. True, not advisable as it angers people who tailgate and those who swerve close to the bumper to make a point. Horn-honking and high beams common too. Perhaps 5% of my driving only when I can, majority of time on the 60-65 range I can eek out 28 mpgs.

50-55mph can easily achieve 33 mpgs, but at risk for an accident so not advisable

I lead foot drive when I want to clear the pipes and give the turbo a work-out too and that gets me a 20-23 combined mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Repsolgamma View Post

Michael
      Nice. Mines a T5 FWD and I just checked Trip meter... I got 550 miles as you can see in my first post. Trip Meter says 32.5 but that's been biased by some city driving. ~34MPH on Highway with Eco + Cruise Control + 75-79 MPH.....Speeds here are 70... I believe in doing 5-9 over so not to piss off everyone else on the road behind me!
      Yes! You usually won't get in trouble if you stay to the right, either. It's those two-lane roads I slow down, sometimes..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo Convert View Post
      Yes! You usually won't get in trouble if you stay to the right, either. It's those two-lane roads I slow down, sometimes..
      It's those truckers that think all 3 or 4 lanes are to be driven in Tandem at exact speed or 5 to 10 under....Or the person who decides to be in the left or middle lane and go super slow so you cannot pass because trucks are in the other lanes.

Mutters......O*&#*(&[email protected]

Heck, I believe in moving over..If I'm going 78 or 79 in a 70 and someone still wants to ride my ass, I'll hop over a lane, let them pass, and get back over.. Common courtesy.

Actually got my first ever speeding ticket in over forty years of driving on my cross-country road trip last week... around here if you're doing less than 15 over on the highway you're at the front of a traffic jam... crossing the WY/NE state line on I-80 we got to the end of a single lane construction zone and entered a 75 limit - I got to my usual 9 over in the left lane with a blue minivan in the right lane alongside me doing about the same speed and coming up to a slow moving truck in front of him. I didn't want to box him in so gave the gas a slight squeeze to increase my passing speed and let him pull out behind me. That was the moment a Nebraska state trooper clocked me at 86... wrote me a ticket for 85 in a 75, $25 fine and $49 costs... guess I have to just suck it up since it would likely cost me 10 times that amount to go back there for court :\
      Last edited by Sysyphus61; 04-26-2019 at 12:27 PM.
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      Actually got my first ever speeding ticket in over forty years of driving on my cross-country road trip last week... around here if you're doing less than 15 over on the highway you're at the front of a traffic jam... crossing the WY/NE state line on I-80 we got to the end of a single lane construction zone and entered a 75 limit - I got to my usual 9 over in the left lane with a blue minivan in the right lane alongside me doing about the same speed and coming up to a slow moving truck in front of him. I didn't want to box him in so gave the gas a slight squeeze to increase my passing speed and let him pull out behind me. That was the moment a Nebraska state trooper clocked me at 86... wrote me a ticket for 85 in a 75, $25 fine and $49 costs... guess I have to just suck it up since it would likely cost me 10 times that amount to go back there for court :\
      And they know that 99% of people from out of state aren't going to travel back and contest a ticket....I got pulled over going from California ---> Kansas where I was flashed for going 70 in a 70 (was tired).

Reason? I was in the right lane too long and passing only. Cop saw cali plates and wanted to search car. I didnt feel like arguing and the jackass tossed everything, making huge mess of luggage. Generally, I would have raised a storm, but I was too damn tired to argue. Otherwise, I'd of told him no you can't, sat there an hour while he found a drug dog hrs away in his hick town, and chilled.

But sometimes, the headache isn't worth arguing over....He got his jollies and I didnt get a ticket.. so whatever.

Brag about your gas mileage!

MPG is finally starting to increase as the weather gets warmer! (T5 Drive E, city only)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      MPG is finally starting to increase as the weather gets warmer! (T5 Drive E, city only)

FWD or AWD? 25 MPG city is pretty darn good, considering highway is in the low 30s!

FWD or AWD? 25 MPG city is pretty darn good, considering highway is in the low 30s!
      Fwd

Now I can brag about it ^^

Did a big road trip on 3 days. more than 800miles.
      MPG: 37 average and topped at a point to 42mpg (cruising 50mph for a long time on nice road)

Loved it. I felt puzzled at a point where I normally have to refill and here...still have plenty of room.
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

I drive like an old lady when I can just to enjoy gas savings so I can buy a snack at the station when I fill up. Buying that snack is my motivation for saving. That and to enjoy the soft suspension and calming music.

The warmer weather has helped my mileage. I can look at the stats in "My Car" on long road trips I am pretty much 38mpg - right what the EPA says, which is surprising in a way. Most people never get the EPA number.

I should get out my fuel logs and see what a recent tankful actually gets me.
      2015.0 V60 (FWD).
      Former: ~1995 850 sedan (5-speed manual ).
      Former: ~1985 740GLE (ZF transmission )

2015.5 V60 T5e, Premier Plus with Sport package and park pilot
      2016 Golf GTI
      2002 Ford Focus ZX5 (Gone but not forgotten)

2012 s60 T6 non-polestar....in regular drive mode i'll get between 20 to 21mpg in town, in sport mode that goes down to around 18mpg. My driving is definitely more on the aggressive side. I've done a few 500+ mile road-trips and mileage on the highway is always right around 28mpg driving between 70 and 75mph. Overall not bad mpg for such a heavy car with what could be considered an old-school kinda motor....though premium gas isn't exactly easy on the wallet!
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 - IPD Rear Stabilizer Bar and IPD Rear End-Links
      2005 Pontiac GTO - Corsa Sport Exhaust, GMM Ripshift Shifter, Pedders Stage II Suspension

I did a ~2K mile roadtrip this past weekend in my 2017 S60 T6 R-D (Drive-E twincharged) - with myself and one passenger and a spare in the trunk and maybe 150 lbs of additional cargo, ECO+ mode on (with A/C), premium fuel, 99% highway at ~74 MPH managed 32.339 MPG which I am very pleased with considering that many reviewers had issues getting to the advertised 32 MPG hwy number. I'm sure I could do better going slower and with less cargo and no spare, but for now I am very happy to have been able to replicate the advertised EPA HWY number.
      2017 S60 T6 R-Design (His) | 2013 XC60 T6 (Hers) - IPD skidplate | 2012 S60 T6 R-Design - mods galore | 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | 2000 S40 1.9T

Quote Originally Posted by rallyr32 View Post
      I did a ~2K mile roadtrip this past weekend in my 2017 S60 T6 R-D (Drive-E twincharged) - with myself and one passenger and a spare in the trunk and maybe 150 lbs of additional cargo, ECO+ mode on (with A/C), premium fuel, 99% highway at ~74 MPH managed 32.339 MPG which I am very pleased with considering that many reviewers had issues getting to the advertised 32 MPG hwy number. I'm sure I could do better going slower and with less cargo and no spare, but for now I am very happy to have been able to replicate the advertised EPA HWY number.
      Honestly, once you're up to a consistent speed weight doesn't really come into play for fuel mileage unless you're going uphill a lot. Weight really only hurts mileage when you're accelerating and decelerating a lot so an extra couple hundred pounds makes a big difference in the city but almost no difference at all at steady highway cruise.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Sorry for being lazy and not doing the research and reading, but does the 2017 T6 twincharged engine Drive-E T6 have 4 cylinders ? Just wondered but hearing it can get 32 mpgs is pretty darn good.

I know the 2015.5 S60 T5 Drive-E is good with fuel too and may also be a 4 cylinder. It just confuses me they are labeled T"6" and T"5".

May as well call T6 Supercharged and T5 Mini-Supercharged
      Last edited by Highwayman; 08-06-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Sorry for being lazy and not doing the research and reading, but does the 2017 T6 twincharged engine Drive-E T6 have 4 cylinders ? Just wondered but hearing it can get 32 mpgs is pretty darn good.

I know the 2015.5 S60 T5 Drive-E is good with fuel too and may also be a 4 cylinder. It just confuses me they are labeled T"6" and T"5".

May as well call T6 Supercharged and T5 Mini-Supercharged
      I know, right? Yes, this would be the 4-cylinder. All T6 models 2016.5 and up would be the twincharged 4 cylinder. Volvo still was making a few T6 6-cylinders in 2016 before the Drive-E 4-cylinder was ready that same year.

It included some mountain driving so I think weight made a difference, not sure specifically what that stretch would have entailed MPG-wise.
      2017 S60 T6 R-Design (His) | 2013 XC60 T6 (Hers) - IPD skidplate | 2012 S60 T6 R-Design - mods galore | 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | 2000 S40 1.9T

By comparison, our T5, 5-cyl typically averages around 28 mpg when driven back and forth across the Cascade mountains.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, '68 122S Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
      Have a 2017 XC90 (not hybrid). Using Eco mode, traveled form Northern VA to Central TN driving mostly over 70 mph and got 26.9 mpg. Very happy!
      This is interesting! I get the same MPG on the V8 XC going from Williamsburg to Cashville, I'd get more if I didn't have deal with having to pass all the left lane hogs on I81 at 90+
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Multimedia Package. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 111K. (2011-)
      2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 99K. (2011-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

I've been sitting right around 28.3-28.5mpg as of late in my 2011 T6. The most I've ever gotten it to though was 29.2mpg. This car absolutely loves highway driving, and as you can see, I don't really drive it as hard as I used to lol.
      2011 Volvo S60 T6 Caspian Blue Metallic | Ferrita cat-back exhaust | IPD rear sway bar | Heico Sport Suspension | Polestar Chipped | Dash camera equipped

Quote Originally Posted by RFicklin View Post
      I've been sitting right around 28.3-28.5mpg as of late in my 2011 T6. The most I've ever gotten it to though was 29.2mpg. This car absolutely loves highway driving, and as you can see, I don't really drive it as hard as I used to lol.
      Until you go consistently above 70 MPH. I had my MPGs pegged at around 31 or so between my trip from Delaware to Charlottesville VA yesterday until I got to the section on route 29 that is free and clear from Washington DC and got to 75 MPH. That last 20 miles of my 180 Mile drive going at that speed finished me at 29.4 MPG.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

I know, right? Yes, this would be the 4-cylinder. All T6 models 2016.5 and up would be the twincharged 4 cylinder. Volvo still was making a few T6 6-cylinders in 2016 before the Drive-E 4-cylinder was ready that same year.

It included some mountain driving so I think weight made a difference, not sure specifically what that stretch would have entailed MPG-wise.
      Cool, I figured they were both 4 cylinders but just wanted to be sure. My T5 loves the mountain driving up in North Poconos where I visit Dad's farm. I average 28 mpgs all around. 33 if I baby her.

Quote Originally Posted by TnoV60 View Post
      Now I can brag about it ^^

Did a big road trip on 3 days. more than 800miles.
      MPG: 37 average and topped at a point to 42mpg (cruising 50mph for a long time on nice road)

Loved it. I felt puzzled at a point where I normally have to refill and here...still have plenty of room.
      Eco or no Eco?

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Honestly, once you're up to a consistent speed weight doesn't really come into play for fuel mileage unless you're going uphill a lot. Weight really only hurts mileage when you're accelerating and decelerating a lot so an extra couple hundred pounds makes a big difference in the city but almost no difference at all at steady highway cruise.
      Yep. At steady rate of speed, aerodynamics play a crucial role, because drag exhausts more fuel.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast