Speculation about the All-Electric XC40
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Speculation about the All-Electric XC40

A little guessing about the capabilities of the all-electric XC40 due out later this year. Guessing better than 280 miles range with 100 kWh battery pack, and 150 KW charging capability, which means it can charge about 220 miles for 30 minutes on an ultra-fast charger.

"......this week at the SAE 2017 Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technologies Symposium in San Diego, the company reaffirmed that the first all-electric Volvo car will be available in 2019 and confirmed that the platform could support battery packs up to 100 kWh.

The vehicle will be the first all-electric from the automaker and third plug-in since it already sells the XC90 and it plans to bring another PHEV to market next year, according to Mats Anderson, Senior Director of Electric Propulsion Systems at Volvo.

But we are more interested in the new all-electric platform.

Reporting on Anderson speaking at the symposium, Green Car Congress wrote:

To enable the cost-effective production of a range of BEVs meeting different requirements, Volvo is developing the Modular Electrification Platform (MEP)—a set of modular building blocks for electrification than will allow Volvo to deliver vehicles ranging between 100 – 450 kW of propulsive power, with battery packs of up to 100 kWh in size.

A 100 kWh battery pack can enable over 300 miles of range depending on the efficiency of the vehicle. It’s likely to be only a high-end option, like Tesla currently offers in the Model S and X. Smaller battery packs are often sufficient for most use cases."

https://electrek.co/2017/02/09/volvo...-vehicle-2019/

Plus the specs on the Polestar 2 show a capability of 150 KW ultra-fast charging.

https://ev-database.org/car/1170/Polestar-2

I can't wait to get either my all-electric XC60 or XC90 due out in a couple of years.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Car and Driver says in a recent review article (two months ago -- much more recent that what you are referring to, above):
      "Like the XC40, the [Polestar] 2 rides on Volvo's *mid-size Compact Modular Architecture (CMA), though this electrified version of the platform accommodates a large lithium-*ion battery pack beneath the floor. The unit has 27 modules and can store up to 78.0 kilowatt-hours. ...
      Polestar says the [Polestar] 2 will be capable of a sub-five-second zero-to-60-mph time and is targeting a 275-mile range under the EPA's testing methodology. While respectable, those numbers fall short of the Tesla Model 3 Performance; that car hits 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and has a 310-mile EPA range."

Definitive charging times don't seem to be determined/announced yet.
      So Volvo doesn't seem to be anywhere close to a 100-kWh battery pack yet; they are behind the competition in both PHEV range/technology and EV range, unfortunately.

I thought that battery safety now should be more important than miles to travel.

I'll take the PHEV XC40 any day.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 04-29-2019 at 10:31 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      Car and Driver says in a recent review article (two months ago -- much more recent that what you are referring to, above):
      "Like the XC40, the [Polestar] 2 rides on Volvo's *mid-size Compact Modular Architecture (CMA), though this electrified version of the platform accommodates a large lithium-*ion battery pack beneath the floor. The unit has 27 modules and can store up to 78.0 kilowatt-hours. ...
      Polestar says the [Polestar] 2 will be capable of a sub-five-second zero-to-60-mph time and is targeting a 275-mile range under the EPA's testing methodology. While respectable, those numbers fall short of the Tesla Model 3 Performance; that car hits 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and has a 310-mile EPA range."

Definitive charging times don't seem to be determined/announced yet.
      So Volvo doesn't seem to be anywhere close to a 100-kWh battery pack yet; they are behind the competition in both PHEV range/technology and EV range, unfortunately.
      I sat in a Model X recently as the sales person explained the tech. I was very impressed with the tech, but the Model X seat was atrocious. Deal killer for me. For long rides, I have to have Volvo seats. I'm not even sure my back would start aching after less than an hour in a Tesla seat. My wife thought the interior was cheap. That doesn't bother me, but deal killer for her. ... Sorry, but 275 miles is good my purposes, and Andersen did say that the battery pack could be 100 kWh. ... And I could care less about a sub 4 second 0 to 60 time.

And for your viewing pleasure, the Electrify America system with 150 KW and 350 KW chargers all along the interstates, mostly built within the last year.

https://www.plugshare.com/
      Last edited by Tostik; 04-29-2019 at 11:35 PM.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

Another soource says 100 kWh in Volvo's first EV.

"Volvo announced back in October 2015 plans to hybridize its entire range and launch a pure electric model in 2019. Now, the Geely-owned marque has released more info about the latter, saying it will have a battery pack with a sizeable capacity of 100 kWh. Details about how much range the car will be able to provide have not been disclosed, but it’s safe to say it will have enough juice for at least 300 miles (482 kilometers) between charges. The Tesla Model S 100D for example, which has a 100-kWh battery, is rated at 351 miles (565 km)."

https://www.motor1.com/news/135862/v...-battery-2019/

And this was interesting. Even if not 100 kWh, the XC40 might have a greater all-electric range than the Polestar 2.

"Power ratings projected for the electric XC40 aren’t yet available. The XC40’s platform-sibling Polestar 2 is rated at 408 horsepower and 487 lb ft of torque, with 275 miles of range. Since Volvo projects a more sedate brand image than Polestar, assuming it uses the same battery pack you can expect the battery powered XC40 to have less power, and potentially greater range."

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...electric-volvo
      Last edited by Tostik; 04-30-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Has anyone heard of the Modular Electrification Platform? Green Car Congress says it's a Volvo program. I thought that was a VW platform.

"To enable the cost-effective production of a range of BEVs meeting different requirements, Volvo is developing the Modular Electrification Platform (MEP)—a set of modular building blocks for electrification than will allow Volvo to deliver vehicles ranging between 100 - 450 kW of propulsive power, with battery packs of up to 100 kWh in size."

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...209-volvo.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tostik View Post
      Another soource says 100 kWh in Volvo's first EV.

"Volvo announced back in October 2015 plans to hybridize its entire range and launch a pure electric model in 2019. Now, the Geely-owned marque has released more info about the latter, saying it will have a battery pack with a sizeable capacity of 100 kWh. Details about how much range the car will be able to provide have not been disclosed, but it’s safe to say it will have enough juice for at least 300 miles (482 kilometers) between charges. The Tesla Model S 100D for example, which has a 100-kWh battery, is rated at 351 miles (565 km)."

https://www.motor1.com/news/135862/v...-battery-2019/

And this was interesting. Even if not 100 kWh, the XC40 might have a greater all-electric range than the Polestar 2.

"Power ratings projected for the electric XC40 aren’t yet available. The XC40’s platform-sibling Polestar 2 is rated at 408 horsepower and 487 lb ft of torque, with 275 miles of range. Since Volvo projects a more sedate brand image than Polestar, assuming it uses the same battery pack you can expect the battery powered XC40 to have less power, and potentially greater range."

XC40 will have higher air drag factor than Polestar 2, and is likely heavier. With same battery pack it won't have longer range, if not shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      XC40 will have higher air drag factor than Polestar 2, and is likely heavier. With same battery pack it won't have longer range, if not shorter.

And the Polestar 2 is more likely to be driven at 80+ mph on freeways, while the XC40 is more likely to be driven at less than 70 mph.

And then there's the evidence from Mats Anderson that the battery pack will be have more kWhs than Polestar 2.
      Last edited by Tostik; 04-30-2019 at 04:36 PM.

And the Polestar 2 is more likely to be driven at 80+ mph on freeways, while the XC40 is more likely to be driven at less than 70 mph.

And then there's the evidence from Mats Anderson that the battery pack will be have more kWhs than Polestar 2.
      EPA range of Polestar 2 surely is not tested at 80mph. Same test, XC40 will have shorter range I think.

EPA range of Polestar 2 surely is not tested at 80mph. Same test, XC40 will have shorter range I think.
      Yes, but I've read a lot about Tesla drivers driving below the speed limit when range challenged between superchargers in order to get better range. I don't know at what speed their tested at? Do you? Are they tested only at optimal speed for range? I doubt it. I hope not.

But this is not my main point. Mats Anderson said 2 years ago that the XC40 will have a 100 kWh battery pack, which is more than the 78 kWh of the Polestar 2. Does anyone know if this prediction has held up? If it has, then the XC40 could have a 300 mile range. The Audi E-tron only has an EPA range of 234 miles, which has been greeted with a lot of disappointment. Take note Volvo.

Yes, but I've read a lot about Tesla drivers driving below the speed limit when range challenged between superchargers in order to get better range. I don't know at what speed their tested at? Do you? Are they tested only at optimal speed for range? I doubt it. I hope not.

But this is not my main point. Mats Anderson said 2 years ago that the XC40 will have a 100 kWh battery pack, which is more than the 78 kWh of the Polestar 2. Does anyone know if this prediction has held up? If it has, then the XC40 could have a 300 mile range. The Audi E-tron only has an EPA range of 234 miles, which has been greeted with a lot of disappointment. Take note Volvo.
      EPA range is the number comparable between models. Of course driving slowly you could get better range.
      Body shape plays a big role in air drag factor. So SUV EV is a bit challenge if it is a square head.

EPA range is the number comparable between models. Of course driving slowly you could get better range.
      Body shape plays a big role in air drag factor. So SUV EV is a bit challenge if it is a square head.
      Obviously, an SUV has more drag than a sporty sedan. And 150 KW ultra-fast charging capability is pretty much a given for the Volvo all-electric XCs. But what is more to the point is the size of the battery pack. Does anyone have any inside info on that.... or even a good rumor?

100kWh battery pack on XC40 will be too expensive. Maybe good on XC90 XC60.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

100kWh battery pack on XC40 will be too expensive. Maybe good on XC90 XC60.
      Either the al-electric XC60 and XC90 is really what I want, but since the XC40 is coming first, later this year, that's where I was trying to start the speculation.

"....the electric Volvo XC40 could be a rival to Tesla's upcoming Model Y, the crossover companion to the Model 3. Last year, Volvo U.S. boss Lex Kerssemakers said the automaker's first production electric car would have a range of around 250 miles and would cost between $35,000 and $40,000."

"In his Autocar interview, Ingenlath also said the larger XC90 crossover would get an all-electric variant in 2021, to be built at the new Charleston, South Carolina, factory where the redesigned S60 sedan will be built."

He also said that 250 miles range is minimum of what is needed for the US market. I would agree. It's certainly the minimum for me. Higher range would be better.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/21748/...executive-says

More detailed info on the Polestar 2 with 78 kWh battery...... According to the new WLTP, more stringent, standard, range is 310 miles.

Volvo numbers;

At 76 degrees F and no A/C.... City - 406 miles ..... HIGHWAY - 260 miles .... Combined - 319 miles.

At 14 degrees F with heat ...... City - 267 miles ..... HIGHWAY - 198 miles .... Combined - 232 miles.

HIGHWAY is capitalized because highway is where you need the range.

https://ev-database.org/car/1170/Polestar-2

And while it has been correctly pointed out that the XC40 will be more heavy, and have more aerodynamic drag, the 2 has 408 HP, and the XC40 will probably not have that amount of HP, so that should mean an increase in range for the XC40. Am I wrong on that?
      Last edited by Tostik; 05-06-2019 at 11:01 PM.

And while it has been correctly pointed out that the XC40 will be more heavy, and have more aerodynamic drag, the 2 has 408 HP, and the XC40 will probably not have that amount of HP, so that should mean an increase in range for the XC40. Am I wrong on that?
      I think your logic only applies to ICU cars, but not to electric cars. A larger battery pack results in a longer range (if you use the energy economically) AND in a higher HP output (if you use the same energy all at once). It's not like high-output ICUs that have a large displacement and thus have a high fuel consumption throughout. A larger battery pack is heavier though, but this is not so much of an issue: It needs more energy to accelerate a heavier car, yet while braking, more energy is recuperated. Aerodynamic drag is more important, and that's where the XC40 loses against Polestar 2 and any Tesla.
      2010 V60 2.0T | 2016 V60 CC T5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelnir View Post
      I think your logic only applies to ICU cars, but not to electric cars. A larger battery pack results in a longer range (if you use the energy economically) AND in a higher HP output (if you use the same energy all at once). It's not like high-output ICUs that have a large displacement and thus have a high fuel consumption throughout. A larger battery pack is heavier though, but this is not so much of an issue: It needs more energy to accelerate a heavier car, yet while braking, more energy is recuperated. Aerodynamic drag is more important, and that's where the XC40 loses against Polestar 2 and any Tesla.
      I still think 250 miles range on the EPA standard is still achievable for the XC40. Lex Kerssemakers, when he was CEO of Volvo NA, said what was needed from the all-electric XC40 to be viable in the US market was 250 mile range and a cost of $35,000 to $40,000. Since Polestar 2 has been rated at 310 miles on the new WLTP standard, maybe 260 miles on the EPA standard? Maybe 250 miles for the XC40 with a little tweaking. I think tweaking with the XC40 will be done -- after a high learning curve with Polestar 2.

After all, the Hyundai Kona Electric has about an EPA range of 258 miles on a 64 kWh battery pack, but only 204 horsepower.

I think Audi messed up limiting the range on it's 95 kWh battery, E-Tron where it's only been rated at 204 miles on the EPA standard. I've read they've limited the range to preserve battery life, but I think they should leave that to the owner, with only a serious warning about battery life. On long road trips you might just need that range.
      Last edited by Tostik; 05-08-2019 at 05:44 PM.

The high-end Model 3 has a WLTP rated range of 348 miles, and the Polestar 2 has a WLTP range of 310 miles,. About 10% less range for the Polestar 2. So since the Model 3 has a 310 mile range for the EPA rating, the Polestar 2 should have an EPA rated range of 279 miles?

Is Tesla Losing the Supercharger Advantage? Electrify America is exploding all over the US with over 450 ultra-fast 150 KW charging stations by the end of the year, with more to come. It's why I'm now waiting to buy an all-electric XC90.

Volvo Car Group signs multi-billion dollar battery supply deals with CATL and LG Chem

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...tl-and-lg-chem

CATL achieves 304 Wh/kg in new battery cells

https://pushevs.com/2019/03/30/catl-...battery-cells/

CATL expects to become the biggest battery cell manufacturer

https://pushevs.com/2017/10/18/catl-...-manufacturer/

I just watched a one and a half hour video featuring Sandy Munro of Monro and Associates, Inc. They took a Model 3 apart, and what they found was very interesting, to say the least. He said the battery technology and electric motor technology were amazing, and even more importantly, he said the central computer control board was way beyond what anyone else had in the car industry. He said it was F-35 stuff, and if the auto industry ignored it, it would be at their own peril. But he said the platform and frame of the car was awful and inefficient, heavier by 25% than the average for cars in it's class. He called this dinosaur technology that Tesla should have let someone else do. He said if they had let some one else do the dinosaur technology, Tesla would have met their launch dates for their models and would now be on such a roll that even Toyota would be "crappin' their pants". It's 1:27:00, but it's worth it, from a very competent auto expert.

So with his statement of the importance of the central computer control board, I took another look at this Volvo announcement. It's probably far more important than most of us noticed.

October 10, 2018

Your future Volvo will burst with computing power

".... Cars are becoming more and more like computers on wheels, which is an ongoing development. In order to constantly offer our customers the latest technologies and services, we want to considerably boost the available computing power in our future cars. Our partnership with NVIDIA is an important step in that direction.

The partnership will allow Volvo Cars to implement an advanced computing platform for our new cars on the forthcoming Scalable Product Architecture 2 (SPA 2) vehicle platform. SPA 2 is the next generation of Volvo Cars’ award-winning SPA modular vehicle architecture, which forms the basis of all new 90 Series and 60 Series cars launched in recent years.....

Based on NVIDIA’s renowned DRIVE AGX Xavier technology, the core computer builds on its recent advances in AI and computing power. It will help us in boosting our driver assistance capabilities, but also offers benefits in terms of energy management and personalisation. All Volvo cars will be electrified going forward, and SMART COMPUTING and AI CAN HELP THE CAR TO USE ITS BATTERY IN THE MOST EFFICIENT WAY."

https://group.volvocars.com/news/fut...omputing-power

If Volvo launches it's all-electric XC90 in 2021 with this high-end tech AND the NMC 811 battery with 300 Wh/Kg, it's range might be unexpectedly high! It seems Volvo is not ignoring the F-35 type tech. It all sounds very exciting.

And one wonders if SPA2 will enable the all-electric XC90 to pack on even more batteries.
      Last edited by Tostik; 05-26-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Volvo XC40 Review

"In the concept, the battery-electric powertrain offered a range of 217 miles. However, R&D boss Henrik Green, talking more broadly about Volvo’s electric plans, said it was aiming for around 310 miles for its production electric model – on a par with rivals such as Volkswagen’s ID electric line-up.

Green said: “That’s the area [of range] we’re aiming at. We’re in the middle of development and we are constantly chasing new steps. It’s quite different to developing a car compared to five or 10 years ago. You set a prerequisite three or four years before a car’s launch and you ran towards that target, and if you did that well, you came out with a competitive offer.

“But in this case, it feels like every month we are updating the requirement, trying to add new competitive edges to the car because the technology is moving so fast now on a lot of areas, so it’s much more of a moving target.” "

The last sentence shows they're still doing a lot of tweaking of the range for the XC40!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...hback-due-2019

Volvo take note!!! The all-electric XC90 needs range!

The Rivian R1S SUV will have an option for 410 mile range with a 180 kWh battery pack. I would love to have that option, even if it costs me $80,000+.
      Last edited by Tostik; 06-06-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Volvo take note!!! The all-electric XC90 needs range!

The Rivian R1S SUV will have an option for 410 mile range with a 180 kWh battery pack. I would love to have that option, even if it costs me $80,000+.
      I think there is a sweet spot regarding battery range and weight, I doubt 180kw is necessary to achieve good range, volvo should focus on making the SPA2 architecture lighter, current SPA cars are around 10% heavier than their German counterparts.

To talk about electric and square and less aerodynamic vehicles we need to at least mention Rivian.

They’re making an all electric SUV and pickup truck that has a range of about 400 miles.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/26/rivia...-pickup-specs/

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      To talk about electric and square and less aerodynamic vehicles we need to at least mention Rivian.

They’re making an all electric SUV and pickup truck that has a range of about 400 miles.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/26/rivia...-pickup-specs/
      The XC90 T6 curb weight is 4,394 lbs...... Mercedes GLE 350 is 4,751 lbs..... BMW X5 is 4,790 lbs.... The Audi Q7 is 4,927. Seems to me the XC90 is the light weight champion. But yes, a lighter SPA2 would be good. But I was hoping more batteries on SPA2. You gotta have range to sell your all-electric SUV.

R1T and R1S specs.jpg
      Last edited by Tostik; 06-08-2019 at 09:18 PM.

The XC90 T6 curb weight is 4,394 lbs...... Mercedes GLE 350 is 4,751 lbs..... BMW X5 is 4,790 lbs.... The Audi Q7 is 4,927. Seems to me the XC90 is the light weight champion. But yes, a lighter SPA2 would be good. But I was hoping more batteries on SPA2. You gotta have range to sell your all-electric SUV.

R1T and R1S specs.jpg
      You are obviously wrong about those numbers, please state your reference. Every single review or spec I have come across puts Volvo models at a disadvantage to the German competition for weight...

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      You are obviously wrong about those numbers, please state your reference. Every single review or spec I have come across puts Volvo models at a disadvantage to the German competition for weight...
      https://www.cars.com/research/compar...,USC80AUS011A0

Scroll about 3/4ths down the page for curb weight numbers.

https://www.cars.com/research/compar...,USC80AUS011A0

Scroll about 3/4ths down the page for curb weight numbers.
      The argument is not about the XC90 in isolation, however even it is not a lightweight, the official figure from Volvo Car USA Newsroom states a very different weight than your reference webpage, it lists it at 4738 lbs for the T6 5 seater version, while the 6 cylinder X5 40i, it is only heavier by only 80lbs, despite having a heavier engine. The Q7 2.0T weighs 4729 lbs according to Audi USA website, so it is not heavier than the XC90.
      My point was intended for the entire lineup though, precisely:

S/v60
      Xc60
      S90
      Xc40

They Are all heavier than their German counterparts, and by not so small differences.

Volvo doesn't seem to use the term 'curb weight', which has a very specific meaning. So I'm not sure there's an apples to apples comparison here. The 4,394 lbs T6 XC90 curb weight has been used by multiple websites, like these sites;

https://www.autobytel.com/volvo/xc90...pecifications/

https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe...wd-inscription

Not to mention, these same sites will list German equivalents as consistently heavier than the XC90, especially the Mercedes GLE 350.

As for comparisons between other Volvos, and German cars, I'm much less familiar, so I'm not even gonna go there.
      Last edited by Tostik; 06-17-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Polestar 2 and Taycan spotted charging in Deutschland.

Last edited by Tostik; 07-06-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Polestar 2 and Taycan spotted charging in Deutschland.

Taycan looks better for its aero shape. Volvo square style is not the best for EVs.

Taycan looks better for its aero shape. Volvo square style is not the best for EVs.
      275 mile range, EPA standard. Not too bad. I still think it looks better than the Taycan. I'm hoping the all-electric XC90's range will be significantly above that, and that's not a wish and a prayer, but rather the NCM 811 batteries should be out for the XC90 in a couple of years, which should be a 20% improvement in battery energy density over current batteries.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast