P1 M66 Short Shift Kits
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

P1 M66 Short Shift Kits

Any interest in a production run of short shift kits for manual P1's? They've been out of production for a while, figured I'd gauge interest in a new production run of them.Installation is simple, just pop off the shift cable, clamp down the machined piece, and reattach the shift cable. Pricing depends on the number of orders, $160 for 1-3 kits, $145 for 4-6, $120 for 7+. If you're interested, email me at [email protected], and I'll put you on the list. Estimated ship time is early-mid June

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nothing for P2 M66?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      05 S60R | MT | Nordkap |
      K&N air filter | Elevate Exhaust line | IPD Upper engine mount - Subframe bushings - Stabilizer bushings | Gates racing timing belt | It's just the beginning......

Quote Originally Posted by Goose13 View Post
      Nothing for P2 M66?

They're different kits, but if there's enough interest in P2 kits I can get a run going towards the end of the summer

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Email sent

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by d_eagz13; 05-01-2019 at 08:50 PM.

I maybe really wrong here but, was there a propensity for these to break the cable?

short shift kit

Quote Originally Posted by Arek1123 View Post
      Any interest in a production run of short shift kits for manual P1's? They've been out of production for a while, figured I'd gauge interest in a new production run of them.Installation is simple, just pop off the shift cable, clamp down the machined piece, and reattach the shift cable. Pricing depends on the number of orders, $160 for 1-3 kits, $145 for 4-6, $120 for 7+. If you're interested, email me at [email protected], and I'll put you on the list. Estimated ship time is early-mid June

email sent
      1994 850 wagon 5spd N/A
      2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by peacock View Post
      I maybe really wrong here but, was there a propensity for these to break the cable?
      Was this a regular occurrence or just something that happened to a couple of them?

Quote Originally Posted by d_eagz13 View Post
      Was this a regular occurrence or just something that happened to a couple of them?

I have to find more on it. Conjecture and hear say.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I have to find more on it. Conjecture and hear say.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
      I couldn't find much of anything on them. I always wondered why they stopped making them though.

Thanks for your concern, unless your shift cables are already defective/damaged, its HIGHLY unlikely the minuscule increase in strains going to snap them. Do you have a link to the thread where thats discussed? Would love to read more into it

I couldn't find much of anything on them. I always wondered why they stopped making them though.

Afaik, the interest in them dropped and machinist rates increased.

An example of two people on MVS

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=49213

This may have been the one I was thinking of as well. Though I'd agree 2 cases is pretty low and who knows what other circumstances these might have been under.

Now to wonder if this style kit would fit in the p80|m66c converted cars.

An example of two people on MVS

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=49213

This may have been the one I was thinking of as well. Though I'd agree 2 cases is pretty low and who knows what other circumstances these might have been under.

Now to wonder if this style kit would fit in the p80|m66c converted cars.
      I'm not familiar with the m56 tranmission used in the 2.4i s40 in that thread to be honest, I've only ever dealt with m66 cars. Regarding the p80 converted car, if you send me a picture of your shifter assembly i can see if i can make something work. But the kit in the original post is m66 P1 (Gen 2 S40 T5, V50 T5, C70/C30) only

Might be totally different then you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Arek1123 View Post
      I'm not familiar with the m56 tranmission used in the 2.4i s40 in that thread to be honest, I've only ever dealt with m66 cars. Regarding the p80 converted car, if you send me a picture of your shifter assembly i can see if i can make something work. But the kit in the original post is m66 P1 (Gen 2 S40 T5, V50 T5, C70/C30) only
      Might in fact be totally different you're right! What's the measurement forward of the shaft itself? I don't have the car near me or I would measure what kind of clearance I have to see if these would work.

Might in fact be totally different you're right! What's the measurement forward of the shaft itself? I don't have the car near me or I would measure what kind of clearance I have to see if these would work.
      send me an email! i'll send you a little table to fill out.

I'm going to stop taking orders Monday 5/20 so if anyone is interested, send an email asap! Currently at the $140/kit price tier, will keep dropping as deposits roll in

Have 3 of these left from the 2nd batch. Selling for $184 shipped to the lower 48 states. Email me at [email protected] for more info
      Last edited by Arek1123; 10-30-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added email

Any pictures of it installed?

Any pictures of it installed?

Was originally very interested in this but have heard some people say this will put a great deal of stress on the shift cable and cause it to fail. Have you had any binding on your install?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparacis View Post
      Was originally very interested in this but have heard some people say this will put a great deal of stress on the shift cable and cause it to fail. Have you had any binding on your install?
      Not a great deal increase, no. It does increase stress on one of the shift cable bushings, but not by a considerable amount. You're looking at maybe reducing the life/replacement interval of the bushing/cables by 10% at the absolute max. Have been using the initial prototype in my C30 for over 20k miles so far with no issue. When installing you can mess the bushing up if you haphazardly remove it, but otherwise it's been fine. If you have any more questions feel free to email me at [email protected]!

How much of a decrease in the throw do you estimate? Would you be willing to post a video running through the gears so I can get a visual?

Interested pending how the ol' girl's safety inspection goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparacis View Post
      Zero binding on mine.
      Literally the best feeling cable shifter I've ever used. Its night and day difference. Throws are great and precise, feel is good, much pleasure in rowing through the gears now.

Also would be interested in a video if possible.

I’ve had the original snabb short shifter on my C30 for near 100k miles and about ten years, and broke the (for lack of better terms) snaps on the white cable-guide receiver by being a jackass. Before that I had had zero problems. Just be aware that the higher you move the short shift bracket up the shift lever, the shorter your shifts will be and the more strain you’ll have on the cable-guide receiver attachment point. However, by the time you get to the it’s-mounted-and-breaking-stuff point, the angled cable attachment nub on the short shifter will be whacking the console and not allowing you to shift.

2008 C30 R-Design MT Black
      2007 V70R GT Ti Grey Nordkap

All but one sold, and that ones pending payment. Thanks for all the interest, was a fun time making parts that aren't available anymore for the community. If you still want one, email me and we'll see if we can make it work. After the new year, I'll be focusing on developing a bushing replacement for the shift cables that'll help eliminate some of the slop you get with age, as well as make it a cheaper replacement part. As always, if you have any questions, email me at [email protected]

I've got one of these that I pulled out of my S40 after the shifter cable broke, it came on the car when I bought it, and it may have been improperly installed as the previous owner was not as mechanically inclined as he thought he was, and it had to be jammed in and out of gear, probably because the cable wasn't adjusted right. I have no interest in putting it back in, Edit; SOLD
      Last edited by MNM; 11-07-2019 at 10:05 PM.

I've installed mine and it feels a bit tighter going into 3rd and 5th... 1st feels fine though. I know it was centered when I tightened everything down. Any one else notice this? I also have mine as far down the shifter rod as I goes since i figured that would put the least amount of stress on the cable. Just wondering if theres any other adjustments to be made along with the install.

Last edited by d_eagz13; 11-05-2019 at 08:49 PM.

One thing you can check is the end on the transmission, pop up the little orange lock button on one of the cables, then jiggle it around and make sure everything is centered before pushing it back down.

Update here, I was able to get the one used from MNM.

The car drives completely different and how it should of been from the factory.

I will say this mod plus the RS clutch spring https://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-c...2018/p/5557028 are amazing together.

Highly recommend!

That spring looks like it's made for the Focus Mk3, did you have any issues installing it?

Also, I'd be interested in a short shifter kit if any more become available.

no issues, the have the exact same perch setup so the spring is a direct fit.

Good to know, thanks.
      Now to find somewhere that sells it in Australia - that site wants US$43 for shipping!

I've installed mine and it feels a bit tighter going into 3rd and 5th... 1st feels fine though. I know it was centered when I tightened everything down. Any one else notice this? I also have mine as far down the shifter rod as I goes since i figured that would put the least amount of stress on the cable. Just wondering if theres any other adjustments to be made along with the install.

Email me a picture of the assembly installed, I'll trouble shoot it for you. Remove the gear knob, place the bottom of your phone perpendicular against the radio screen, and take a picture in 1st gear, 3rd gear, and 5th gear. On the other hand, I'll be in upstate NY for a conference in a few weeks and can help you on the stop if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HL-240 View Post
      That spring looks like it's made for the Focus Mk3, did you have any issues installing it?

Also, I'd be interested in a short shifter kit if any more become available.
      Last one was never claimed, email me your address and I'll get you a shipping quote

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements