Finally! Engine back from the machine shop!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Finally! Engine back from the machine shop!

I finally got around to taking my 142's B20F to the machine shop a few weeks ago and picked it up yesterday.
      I really didn't need to take it, it turned out. Still takes standard sized pistons / rings, rod & main bearings. I had them replace the cam bearings and I'll be putting in a new D cam, lifters & push rods.
      Spent a few hours cleaning & masking the head, priming it with some VHT high temp primer, which I cured with my heat gun. Then I gave it a couple of coats of Volvo engine red that I bought from a local Volvo Penta dealer in St. Charles, MO.
      I will start on the block & cranks tomorrow.
      More pics & story here: https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=321014
      Steve

Last edited by 66Wildcat; 05-04-2019 at 10:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you haven't purchased the cam yet, consider the later K cam that was used in the F engine rather than the D cam. If you check the cam specs,

http://www.1800philes.com/ianr/_superlist_grinds.html

the lift on the K cam is the same as the D cam. The advertised duration is 3 deg less; but, the duration as measured at 0.05" is identical. The primary difference is a tiny nudge less overlap at small openings which makes for a smoother idling engine. I have also heard anecdotally that the below 3000 RPM performance is better with the K grind; but, have not seen any empirical results to support that claim. I believe Phil S. was a fan of the K grind (when compared to the D grind). If you already have purchased the D grind, then go ahead.

With the block at the machine shop, did you deck the block to establish a correct quench clearance? When reassembling, use a B20B head gasket unless you want a lower compression ratio. All of the new specific fuel injection head gaskets are F gaskets. E gaskets no longer exist.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

The block & the head were skimmed, mainly to clean them up.
      Mine is a B20F for 73. I bought the head gasket set from VP Auto Parts, along with the D cam / lifter kit. It was the part number from my Volvo catalog, so that's what I ordered.
      I'm not too worried about more extra performance. This will be a Sunday driver & Euro car show car. It's going to be stock, with the exception of the coil springs & sport exhaust.
      Got the block cleaned & primered. I paint it later this afternoon. Hopefully I'll be able to get the crank in yet today.

Steve

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In color!

Steve

Now I’m really jealous. Here’s what my B230FT block looks like currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what mine looked like also!
      Crank goes in tonight. Pistons arrive tomorrow. Hopefully the porch pirates don't get them, like they did my ring compressor & ring pliers yesterday!
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 66Wildcat View Post
      In color!

Steve

Looking' mighty nice!

Finished installing the crank, rods, pistons, oil pump & cam. Buttoned up the bottom end.

Steve

Some progress pics. Pretty well buttoned up, I was only sent 7 pushrods though. Hopefully # 8 will arrive in a few days.
      I repainted the breather & water pump outlet. The paint must have been from different batches.
      I thought I was short a new head bolt also, but found it on my workbench. I do not recall ever removing it from the box, so how it got there is a mystery.

Steve

Engine is complete!

Is that an original exhaust manifold that you have refinished or one of the new Skandix reproductions?

Its looking a bit like the shiny B20E display engine that Volvo had in some of their 1970-1971 brochures when they first introduced the D jet, except they didn't have the spiffy chrome oil filler cap and valve cover. You are going to cry the first time you do a little work on the engine and chip or scratch some paint with a wrench!
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

It's the original exhaust manifold. I sandblasted it, painted it with VHT high temperature primer, then painted it with Stovebrite Charcoal paint.
      The paint is made for wood burning stoves, grills, etc. I had read that it works great for cast iron manifolds, bought a can off of Amazon & figured I give it a try.
      Thanks for the compliment! And you're right, it's going to hurt when I scratch it putting it in the engine bay.
      Steve

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements