@eric_samuelsonís XC70 build - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Finally got to get out a little bit. Just a short weekend and not really camping unfortunately.

Also been busy with my new 240 daily for around town. 91 with 207k miles and M47 5 speed. Already blew up the rear diff haha.

Hereís some pics of the XC on my couple hour drive to visit my mom. Cleaned it up because it was supposed to be shown in the hot wheels legends tour in Denver but it got postponed til next month at least it looks nice!

And a couple of the new 240 for fun. Might be LS swapping it next summer, weíll see though

The XC will be gettting some love soon with new do88 silicone coolant hoses and the full XC90 front end swap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 Overland XC70 #projecxc70 @eric_samuelson

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Those 240 headlights look awesome!
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Those 240 headlights look awesome!
      Cheap generic amazon 7Ē rounds retrofitted into the stock reflector housing haha

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nsfwaldo View Post
      Some detail shots I took last summer (mostly up to date still)

Tire carrier:
      How well does it hold on a shaky gravel road? It kills me that my spare takes half of the roof basket space... I still can punch my spare stock size KO2 into a spare tire niche, but going two sizes up soon.
      Can't see, is it Husqvarna/Gršnsfors Bruk hatchet?

I certainly got an idea where my Ka-Bar belongs to in the cabin

Nice, very nice car!

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      How well does it hold on a shaky gravel road? It kills me that my spare takes half of the roof basket space... I still can punch my spare stock size KO2 into a spare tire niche, but going two sizes up soon.

Can't see, is it Husqvarna/Gršnsfors Bruk hatchet?

I certainly got an idea where my Ka-Bar belongs to in the cabin

Nice, very nice car!
      It holds super well havenít had to tighten it at all since installation haha. Iím pretty stoked on it.

But ya the hatchet is a hults bruk. Perfect Swedish hatchet for a Swedish car! Haha

- 17x8 method race wheels MR502 5x108
      ET15, 5x110 on their website. Do you have custom spacers?

Eh, I struggle finding a sturdy 16" rims. One of Erinus did crack in the previous Trans-Taiga trip. I really need steel rims (which I totally hated when I had them) or forged rims. But latter ones are ugly as hell in 99.9% cases and cost a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      ET15, 5x110 on their website. Do you have custom spacers?

Eh, I struggle finding a sturdy 16" rims. One of Erinus did crack in the previous Trans-Taiga trip. I really need steel rims (which I totally hated when I had them) or forged rims. But latter ones are ugly as hell in 99.9% cases and cost a fortune.
      Oh thatís weird definitely not what they used to have. But ya thatís usually true haha. I donít mind some nice steelies though. These are titanium. Sorry i just saw your post today haha

Got to camp this weekend for the first time in a long time. In the flattop wilderness here in Colorado. Got some cool drone shots with my friends drone but I need to acquire them still. Hereís some others I took with my camera. Pretty hyped on the Milky Way shots!

I love those star photos! Great job! I'm a little jealous. I want to up my night photo game.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      I love those star photos! Great job! I'm a little jealous. I want to up my night photo game.
      Thanks man haha. Iíve been trying to work on it for so long. Itís hard when you only get so many opportunities to do it and only get so many proper skies haha. Definitely happy with them

Have been MIA for a bit. Havenít done much to the car as far as mods or upgrades but Iím about to have to do a bunch of repairs.
      Back in October my neighbor ran into the driver side rear door/QP with his snowmobile while it was parked in my driveway, so I have to peel the vinyl, take it to the body shop, and re wrap it
      A week ago my angle gear sleeve stripped when I was moving it in the driveway to remove snow so now itís FWD thatís always fun. Also have to do that repair sometime
      My 240 that I would drive otherwise also blew the power steering rack this week when it was -15įf. So both cars are broken now haha.

Otherwise hereís a couple pics from the last trip I took pics on around thanksgiving

Love the pics

2010 xc90 3.2 | 2017 Prius V Five
      2010 XC90 3.2 AWD
      Somewhere in space and time

Well hello everyone! I've been going about my build for a while now with no threads/pictures/posts on anything except instagram (@eric_samuelson), soOoOoO I figured it was about time that I put together a thread with everything I have done so far and for everything that is to come! I'm going to list current mods and a current photo right off the bat and then try to post as many pics as I can of my process since day 1 in the first couple posts and we'll see how far we get

2005 XC70 white bought with 115K miles in October 2016 (Longmont, CO)

Visual:
      -Gloss sandstorm vinyl wrap
      - 17x8 method race wheels MR502 5x108
      - Yokohama Geolandar MT G003 225/65/17

-Yakima Roof box
      -Yakima slim shady awning
      -rhino rack narrow roof basket
      -shovel/axe mount
      (all on OEM Volvo cross bars)

-custom grille with 1Ē square steel mesh and 245 hatch badge
      -Elevate Volvo hood vents
      -Genright off-road Jeep center vent

-custom built rear spare tire carrier swing out
      -R wing

Suspension:
      -Bad Swede 2Ē spring kit
      -CCP 2Ē puck kit
      -CCP .5Ē subframes pacers all 8 corners
      -XC90 front axle swap (with spacers)
      -IPD HD front endlinks

-IPD skidplate with custom extension

Engine:
      -IPD boostability silicone piping
      -dual funnel air filter with water repellent cover
      -Forge recirc valve
      -Viva upgraded TCV
      -IPD oval tube catback bumper side exit (just resonator)
      -IPD billet oil cap
      -R turned XC fuel rail cover (not R swapped)
      - do88 full silicone coolant lines on their way

Interior:
      -Executive gauge cluster
      -executive wood steering wheel (with working radio controls)
      -R gauge cluster shroud
      -custom boost gauge pod molded into gauge trim
      -altimeter for altitude awareness
      -Cobra CB radio
      -Cobra radar detector hardwired
      -custom switch panel for auxiliary lights (soon to be upgraded)
      -kenwood stereo
      -R shift knob (color matched vinyl)
      -fire extinguisher in passenger footwell
      -custom sewn rear overhead Ďatticí
      -vinyl wood print flooring in rear cargo area
      -custom built collapsible bed frame with matching flooring
      -boss 10Ē removable subwoofer
      -WWII case first aid kid
      -Vintage tool box with all necessities
      -rear hatch mounted machete/hatchet/surplus shovel

Lights:
      -Element LED overlander XS up front on Swedish market P2 bracket
      -Element LED side shooters amber ditch lights on custom brackets
      -Element LED amber cannon Fog light retrofit
      - Element LED 2Ē cube lights in front bumper air flow slot
      - eBay 13Ē slim bars on both left and right side roof rail
      -Element LED micro pods wired to rear fog switch on the rear roof rail ends
      -Element LED optix mini 6Ē wired to backup lights on spare tire carrier
      -Lasfit LED low beam bulbs

I will include more process photos in the next couple pics. Thanks for following along!

I really like the build -- many of these things are on my list to do as well. And I really dig all the Swedish metal kit \m/

Can I ask a few questions? (apologies if I missed the answers elsewhere in this thread)

1. How do you feel the larger wheels & tires have impacted acceleration & top speed? Can you still accelerate to 80+ going up eisenhower tunnel? I know it's slower -- just trying to figure out how much slower. I drive all around CO mountains so any specific references are perfect! :-)

2. do you have your hood vents hooked up to anything or routed to the air intake? Do you worry about rain/snow getting in?

3. did you make your mudflaps or buy them somewhere?

Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowpilgram View Post
      1. How do you feel the larger wheels & tires have impacted acceleration & top speed? Can you still accelerate to 80+ going up eisenhower tunnel? I know it's slower -- just trying to figure out how much slower. I drive all around CO mountains so any specific references are perfect! :-)
      I'll be curious to see the answer for the slightly larger tire, but I have 225/60R17 on my XC70 and do 75mph up Floyd Hill and other I-70 hills at ~2900RPM. No problems passing anyone. That's with no tune/performance mods.
      2001 V70 Silver - 197k miles
      2006 XC70 Ocean Race - 94K miles
      (Past: '94 944 turbo, sold at ~220k miles)

I really like the build -- many of these things are on my list to do as well. And I really dig all the Swedish metal kit \m/

Can I ask a few questions? (apologies if I missed the answers elsewhere in this thread)

2. do you have your hood vents hooked up to anything or routed to the air intake? Do you worry about rain/snow getting in?

3. did you make your mudflaps or buy them somewhere?

Cheers!!
      Hey! Gotta love fellow Coloradoans haha.

But I definitely have noticed that it does not accelerate quite as well with the bigger tires up passes and stuff. Certainly a lot more spool. I also have a boost gauge that watch pretty closely on passes and itís hard to keep it below 5psi. Highway is kind of hard to stay above like 70 also, which is hard for longer trips. Iíve taken it to Cali and Portland and both times I had to set cruise at just below 70 to get the best gas mileage (which is like 17-19 on long trips)

The vent above the intake side just goes into the bay, with a heat shield around the intake to capture all the air and a water sock on the cone filter to keep water out, works nicely The passenger side one has a hydrophobic material to keep water out a little more cuz itís just above the belts. And the back center one is above the turbo and actually does let a lot of heat out super efficiently

The mud flaps are just generic rally armor from eBay haha

Quote Originally Posted by madmattd View Post
      I'll be curious to see the answer for the slightly larger tire, but I have 225/60R17 on my XC70 and do 75mph up Floyd Hill and other I-70 hills at ~2900RPM. No problems passing anyone. That's with no tune/performance mods.
      Are they ATís? That might be the key size, cuz Iíve had 235/60 ATís and 225/65 MTís and both have been harsh up some of the passes for the most part

Thanks! Not really what I was hoping for, but good to know.

My stock '02 will accelerate from 80 going up to the tunnel, and I'd miss that for sure. Maybe some performance mods along with the lift... . (any maybe not such a big tire)

I'm shopping for a replacement car since this one has 220k miles on it & isn't worth modding at this point. Looking for a low milage '07 to start fresh with.

Thanks again for the reply.

Hey! Gotta love fellow Coloradoans haha.

But I definitely have noticed that it does not accelerate quite as well with the bigger tires up passes and stuff. Certainly a lot more spool. I also have a boost gauge that watch pretty closely on passes and itís hard to keep it below 5psi. Highway is kind of hard to stay above like 70 also, which is hard for longer trips. Iíve taken it to Cali and Portland and both times I had to set cruise at just below 70 to get the best gas mileage (which is like 17-19 on long trips)

The vent above the intake side just goes into the bay, with a heat shield around the intake to capture all the air and a water sock on the cone filter to keep water out, works nicely The passenger side one has a hydrophobic material to keep water out a little more cuz itís just above the belts. And the back center one is above the turbo and actually does let a lot of heat out super efficiently

The mud flaps are just generic rally armor from eBay haha

I also think your elevation plays a role there.

What's your vacuum at idle?

In 2015 when I towed my camper into Rawlins, WY i thought i killed my engine cause it was ~12-inhg at idle... took me a while to realise it was due to elevation. Ha. Also made me appreciate a turbo as it makes up for the thinner air with more boost!

Also, KO2s are pigs for tires. Don't get me wrong, they are great and are LT, but they are heavy!
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-10-2020 at 09:37 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      I also think your elevation plays a role there.

What's your vacuum at idle?

In 2015 when I towed my camper into Rawlins, WY i thought i killed my engine cause it was ~12-inhg at idle... took me a while to realise it was due to elevation. Ha. Also made me appreciate a turbo as it makes up for the thinner air with more boost!

Also, KO2s are pigs for tires. Don't get me wrong, they are great and are LT, but they are heavy!
      Oh for Sure haha. Itís like -20 honestly. Itís a lot, but Always has been though. But even when I went to Portland and San Fran it didnít like bigger hills very much. My geolandars now are lighter than KO2ís but still heavy as hell haha. The struggle is real

Are they ATís? That might be the key size, cuz Iíve had 235/60 ATís and 225/65 MTís and both have been harsh up some of the passes for the most part
      No, they're Michelin Defenders, more of an LT tire. That likely does make a difference over ATs. Quiet on the road too.
      2001 V70 Silver - 197k miles
      2006 XC70 Ocean Race - 94K miles
      (Past: '94 944 turbo, sold at ~220k miles)

>Highway is kind of hard to stay above like 70 also, which is hard for longer trips.

I just re-read this part. That seems _really_ slow. I get that rotational mass is a big thing, but that seems excessive. Mine will pull 80+ uphill at altitude easily (stock as mentioned above). And only good sense is the limiter on typical highway driving.

Any other "big tire" drivers having the same experience? @Antherzoll?

Also, I assume this is just tires, because I have about the same amount of crap on the roof of mine & usually packed to the gills for camping - so total weight doesn't seem to be the issue.

Maybe I'll just need an IPD tune :-)

>Highway is kind of hard to stay above like 70 also, which is hard for longer trips.

I just re-read this part. That seems _really_ slow. I get that rotational mass is a big thing, but that seems excessive. Mine will pull 80+ uphill at altitude easily (stock as mentioned above). And only good sense is the limiter on typical highway driving.

Any other "big tire" drivers having the same experience? @Antherzoll?

Also, I assume this is just tires, because I have about the same amount of crap on the roof of mine & usually packed to the gills for camping - so total weight doesn't seem to be the issue.

Maybe I'll just need an IPD tune :-)
      It could just be me limiting the turbo spool too. Iím always cautious about how much I push going up the passes and stuff watching my boost gauge. If thatís not something youíre paying attention to on a boost gauge I can see how it would cruise way better haha

Yes, moving to the current tires from stock size there's quite a difference in power delivery, but with the tune and turbo it more than makes up for it. Torque limiter is deleted and it's pushing 16psi, it's screaming with the trailer getting over passes .

Yes, moving to the current tires from stock size there's quite a difference in power delivery, but with the tune and turbo it more than makes up for it. Torque limiter is deleted and it's pushing 16psi, it's screaming with the trailer getting over passes .
      How much does your trailer weight?
      2002 Volvo V70XC * Stage 2 Hilton Racing Tune * Custom Exhaust * Custom bi-xenon projector headlights (pampered)
      1997 Acura SLX 4wd - 2" lift - Locker - bi-xenon HID headlights - Cerwin Vega speakers (daily driver)

Quote Originally Posted by roxanaschram View Post
      Dry is 1300#, hitch is 100#, can be loaded with 700# of gear.

Dry is 1300#, hitch is 100#, can be loaded with 700# of gear.

No wonder you can't feel it behind you! Haha. It's a feather.
      2002 Volvo V70XC * Stage 2 Hilton Racing Tune * Custom Exhaust * Custom bi-xenon projector headlights (pampered)
      1997 Acura SLX 4wd - 2" lift - Locker - bi-xenon HID headlights - Cerwin Vega speakers (daily driver)

No wonder you can't feel it behind you! Haha. It's a feather.
      And it's nice and low, though it gets quite a bit heavier with enough gear, clothes, food for a family of 5 on a multi week road trip.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-12-2020 at 10:05 PM.

And it's nice and low, though it gets quite a bit heavier with enough gear, clothes, food for a family of 5 on a multi week road trip.
      haha. i can imagine...

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4