SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

@eric_samuelson’s XC70 build

83K views 150 replies 33 participants last post by  SvensBuggy 
#1 ·
Well hello everyone! I've been going about my build for a while now with no threads/pictures/posts on anything except instagram (@eric_samuelson), soOoOoO I figured it was about time that I put together a thread with everything I have done so far and for everything that is to come! I'm going to list current mods and a current photo right off the bat and then try to post as many pics as I can of my process since day 1 in the first couple posts and we'll see how far we get :D

2005 XC70 white bought with 115K miles in October 2016 (Longmont, CO)

Visual:
-Gloss sandstorm vinyl wrap
- 17x8 method race wheels MR502 5x108
- Yokohama Geolandar MT G003 225/65/17

-Yakima Roof box
-Yakima slim shady awning
-rhino rack narrow roof basket
-shovel/axe mount
(all on OEM Volvo cross bars)

-custom grille with 1" square steel mesh and 245 hatch badge
-Elevate Volvo hood vents
-Genright off-road Jeep center vent

-custom built rear spare tire carrier swing out
-R wing

Suspension:
-Bad Swede 2" spring kit
-CCP 2" puck kit
-CCP .5" subframes pacers all 8 corners
-XC90 front axle swap (with spacers)
-IPD HD front endlinks

-IPD skidplate with custom extension

Engine:
-IPD boostability silicone piping
-dual funnel air filter with water repellent cover
-Forge recirc valve
-Viva upgraded TCV
-IPD oval tube catback bumper side exit (just resonator)
-IPD billet oil cap
-R turned XC fuel rail cover (not R swapped)
- do88 full silicone coolant lines on their way

Interior:
-Executive gauge cluster
-executive wood steering wheel (with working radio controls)
-R gauge cluster shroud
-custom boost gauge pod molded into gauge trim
-altimeter for altitude awareness :D
-Cobra CB radio
-Cobra radar detector hardwired
-custom switch panel for auxiliary lights (soon to be upgraded)
-kenwood stereo
-R shift knob (color matched vinyl)
-fire extinguisher in passenger footwell
-custom sewn rear overhead 'attic'
-vinyl wood print flooring in rear cargo area
-custom built collapsible bed frame with matching flooring
-boss 10" removable subwoofer
-WWII case first aid kid
-Vintage tool box with all necessities
-rear hatch mounted machete/hatchet/surplus shovel

Lights:
-Element LED overlander XS up front on Swedish market P2 bracket
-Element LED side shooters amber ditch lights on custom brackets
-Element LED amber cannon Fog light retrofit
- Element LED 2" cube lights in front bumper air flow slot
- eBay 13" slim bars on both left and right side roof rail
-Element LED micro pods wired to rear fog switch on the rear roof rail ends
-Element LED optix mini 6" wired to backup lights on spare tire carrier
-Lasfit LED low beam bulbs

I will include more process photos in the next couple pics. Thanks for following along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
This. Is. Awesome.

#3 ·
Day 1 driving home with no plates still

The car from day one to about a month in. Bought the springs right off the bat but didn't get them in til the following spring

#5 ·
Pics are going on chronological order from when I first got the car also if they don't make sense initially haha

First rendition of the roof box

Got it for $40 with some broken hinges and no key so I riveted the hinges back in and bought some new locks and struts

Got the bad Swede lift on the following spring

And then the method race wheels with cooper discoverer 235/60/17

Shovel mount and a custom roof platform made from electrical conduit haha. Worked well though

And roof box V2

#6 ·
Air intake box made from an office trash can. Seems kind of sketchy I know, but with heat tape it never gets warm enough to melt. I've used it since I built it with no issues and keeps heat out of the intake! [emoji1598]

First time muddin on 4th of July 2017

XC90 axle spacers dremeled out of 1/4" thick washers with 1" ID and ~2" OD

Custom made window vents from Masonite using CAD (cardboard aided design) to mock originally

#7 ·
Kissed a deer and busted the grill

First pic with the new tire carrier (more detailed pics to come)

Shiny engine bits :D
Who says an off-road car can't keep a clean engine bay?

#8 ·
R wing

Added the fire extinguisher before attending IPD garage sale last May (2018)

Some pics at mt. hood

A sick roller from Spencer (@borkstatus) leaving IPD last year

#109 ·
Some detail shots I took last summer (mostly up to date still)

Tire carrier:
How well does it hold on a shaky gravel road? It kills me that my spare takes half of the roof basket space... I still can punch my spare stock size KO2 into a spare tire niche, but going two sizes up soon.
Can't see, is it Husqvarna/Gränsfors Bruk hatchet? :)

I certainly got an idea where my Ka-Bar belongs to in the cabin ;)

Nice, very nice car!

#10 ·
Yakima awning

Beginning of the wrap. I did it myself in my garage mostly because I knew I didn't have to do the bumpers and whatnot. It came out pretty good for a first time venture I think

Finished product

Element LED Prerunners I had before the Overlanders

#11 ·
Cargo area flooring

And bed platform

Before CCP spacer lift

And after

New tires this spring

Matchy matchy

Rhino rack cage added and my IPD photo contest entry

Extended skid plate

And that leaves us up to date I think. I tried to put as many pics of the bigger, interesting stuff, but if you have any questions about anything feel free to post and I'll do my best to answer questions or get extra pics of stuff! Thanks again for scrolling through [maybe] the quickest posted build thread [emoji2373]

A couple more shots from Spencer (@borkstatus) from Davis in CA last week

#18 ·
Enjoyed the read and pictures. How did you decide on which xc70 you wanted to custom build?

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk
I knew I wanted to do the P2 because of the bad Swede option when I was first looking, but I looked for over a year before I found the one I got with low enough miles and a good enough history [emoji1362] definitely satisfied with what I got haha

#13 ·
This thing is awesome! Kinda different getting introduced to the build all at once...but thanks for taking the time to do this. It’s a pretty solid overland rig for sure. Can you post some more details of that rear tire carrier?? I’m very curious about that...

#19 ·
This thing is awesome! Kinda different getting introduced to the build all at once...but thanks for taking the time to do this. It's a pretty solid overland rig for sure. Can you post some more details of that rear tire carrier?? I'm very curious about that...

I've got a couple pics up there with the detail shots of the hinge and mount, but I can try to get some more for sure [emoji1360]

#27 ·

I guess I dont have many pics, but it's the original outside frame, you can pop the clips to remove the center all around, and the mesh is a 1" steel mesh 1/8" thick that I got from a friend with a fab shop, and the. I just wired the mesh to the outside frame with some black beading wire. The badge is off of a 245 wagon hatch haha

#32 ·
I repainted my roof box the other day as well. Went with a lighter green and more color matched camo. Not sure if I like it more than before or not yet [emoji848]

#40 ·
This is true haha. Haven't had many chances this winter but hopefully this spring/summer I'll get some more trips in. But ya Something like that [emoji2373] haha

#41 · (Edited)
Very nice work!!! Still not clear on the spare tire mount. Something I might want to do too. Is that a custom design bracket for the spare tire?

#43 · (Edited)
Figured out the problem below. They needed to compress the spring, duh! Anyhow, any tips on massaging the inner wheel wells in the rear? Got 235/65R17's to fit but less than 1/2inch from the lower front of the rear wheel wells. Going to get out the heat gun and massage but if there is something more I should be doing any advice is welcome!

This rig is incredible! So well done, I am trying get a similar place on my 2007 XC70. I have the CCP 2 inch kit and the bad swede kit, but the guy installing says that the rear shock isn't long enough with these two kits combined? I have scoured the web and found nothing on this.

Anyone have any advice? Sorry if this is out there and I didn't find it. Any help would be appreciated or pictures of the set up would be great if possible?

Will post pics once its done! Thanks for helping the newbie. John

#51 ·
Just saw this one, sorry. Ya I'd say heat gun or cut em. I trimmed my rear ones out and then covered what I cut out with gorilla tape and a blow torch, like a flexible fender liner haha. Works well.

Here's a pic of the rear on mine. But ya it needs to be compressed far to get in there haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.