New XC60-poor fuel efficiency
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi. First post. Sorry if I do it wrong.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Momentum. Mostly city driving. Alot of 4 way stops. Stop and Go on major roads.
      But gas mileage is worse than I'd expect. 13-15 US mpg / 16-18 L/100 km.
      Is this expected (even though its far off the posted stats?). Or is there something not tuned right? Dealer non-commital.
      Tire pressure came at 40 psi. thinking of adding a few lbs to see if better, but doubt that's it.
      (actually surprised didn't come at 36 ish).
      Was thinking of an XC40 for second vehicle, but not if this is how things go.
      Thanks for any insight folks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Try a long trip of 2 hours and see. Slow traffic is the worst thing for turbo engine and heavy cars. I commute on city street and would buy hybrid cars going forward. XC40 PHEV will be wonderful for me.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I average between 16-17 mpg. Picking it up and driving it home was the first (and best overall) sustained trip at 25 mpg. I would expect that as it gets broken in that you would see better mpg. I just passed 7000 miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I do about 90% city travel and i get around 20mpg. Yours seems a bit low, maybe try and drive in Eco mode to see if that makes a difference?

My city driving averages 21.7mpg, recently read a post where it said that MPG started to increase after 18k on the odometer. I'm just over 17 so will see what happens
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

In the summertime, I've driven thousands of miles cross country with no charging at all on my T8 and the worst I ever got was 26.8 mpg.
      In the winter, the worst I ever got was 21.6, also with no charging. So even though you would expect somewhat better mileage with the PHEV, I think the OP's issue is mainly related to the stop & go city driving.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

My T6 gets around 17-18 mpg local driving, short trips. Hwy about 25-26. Have 13k on car
      2018 XC60 T6, Pine Grey/Blonde, every option,loaded.
      2014 Audi A6 TDI Quattro - gone-after dieselgate, wouldnt touch any of their products.
      2006 BMW Z4 3.0i-still have
      2007 Lexus rx -best seats ever
      1973 bmw 2002tii- Should have kept it

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      In the summertime, I've driven thousands of miles cross country with no charging at all on my T8 and the worst I ever got was 26.8 mpg.
      In the winter, the worst I ever got was 21.6, also with no charging. So even though you would expect somewhat better mileage with the PHEV, I think the OP's issue is mainly related to the stop & go city driving.
      It is exact for daily stop and go traffic that I recommend PHEV. Don't like to sit in ICE while burning gas.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by n a m View Post
      I average between 16-17 mpg. Picking it up and driving it home was the first (and best overall) sustained trip at 25 mpg. I would expect that as it gets broken in that you would see better mpg. I just passed 7000 miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      Imperial gallons? thx

How many miles on your new xc60?

When I first pick up mine T6. The mileages was horrible. I thought the reading was wrong.
      Now my xc60 T6 has around 800 miles.
      The gas miles has improved a lot more.

Gotta wait til broken in and you will see the true mpg.
      Look at image, my first 59miles only 11.2 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My T5 it is around 17-19 mpg in city driving.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by Aquin001 View Post
      Imperial gallons? thx
      No. Calculated in liters. US Spec
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

My 2019 XC60. T5 was bad for the first 1000kms and is getting better now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awaiting Approval

PHEV would be better for you

With that kind of driving, the ICE in this car is not great, especially with a heavy foot. My commute is 13 rural miles each way and I can do the whole thing (barely) on one charge in 2018 T8 Inscription with 8k. I doubt I’ve spent more than $200 for gas since buying it, but unless I’m showing off Power mode to a friend driving like an idiot or doing a road trip, the engine rarely fires up except, of course, in cold months.

2019 t5 awd i get mix 23mpg if i easy on the go pedal, stop and go street 15-17mpg but i only have 5,000 mile, hopefully it'll get better.

The belief that new vehicle fuel economy improves over time was largely true for older vehicles, but completely unfounded for modern vehicles (circa 2005+). It's a myth told by baby boomers.

Modern vehicles have lower internal friction, primarily from reduced piston ring tension and enlarged valve guides. This means there's significantly less engine "break-in" needed because the friction is already minimized (less metal surface to "seat").

It's also why OEMs use synthetic oil as the factory fill and don't recommend much, if any, engine break-in period (e.g, first ~300 miles).

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-...in-modern-cars

Likely, the best explanation for perceived/actual fuel economy is the owner becomes accustomed to operating their vehicle in a more efficient manner. There's also ancillary factors, like adaptive transmission algorithms that "learn" optimal shift points from your driving style. Again, that goes towards your driving style.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

It is not just the engine. Lots of the moving parts have more ‘drag’ until they have a few hundred km on them.
      Brakes bedding in for example.

Quote Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
      It is not just the engine. Lots of the moving parts have more ‘drag’ until they have a few hundred km on them.
      Brakes bedding in for example.
      If your brakes are sticking/dragging, you should get that fixed. Hydraulic transmissions lack a break-in period too.

I can only assume you're a boomer because you seem convinced old vehicles equate to modern vehicles.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Quote Originally Posted by n a m View Post
      Driving like a granny in Eco mode I can marginally eke out 15 mpg.
      Not good.
      Eco Mode makes me wonder. The on off is so quick, sometimes slowing down to make a left it will cut out as you start turn, which isn't great for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      If your brakes are sticking/dragging, you should get that fixed. Hydraulic transmissions lack a break-in period too.

I can only assume you're a boomer because you seem convinced old vehicles equate to modern vehicles.
      I am indeed a Boomer! I don’t think anything,especially the brakes, are dragging but close fitting mechanical parts are never harmed by giving them a short period to ‘get used to each other’ no matter how good the lubricants are.
      My last car was a 2014 Audi Q5. This new Volvo is the only car I have ever had that has not had a suggestion to be a bit gentle with rpm for the first 1000 km or so. For what it’s worth the 300 miles you mention is 500 km...close enough!

Last edited by timlocke; 05-13-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
      This new Volvo is the only car I have ever had that has not had a suggestion to be a bit gentle with rpm for the first 1000 km or so. For what it’s worth the 300 miles you mention is 500 km...close enough!
      Yup, I'm referring to folks claiming fuel economy improvements after 1000, 5000, 10k miles. Your vehicle is fully broken-in after 300miles/500km.

MPG in city drive is hard to compare. Depends on what town or area you are in, there could be multiple stop signs and traffic lights within quarter mile. And in other city area there are longer streets with maybe just one traffic light in half mile and 45mph speed limit. These will result in very different MPG.

Yup, I'm referring to folks claiming fuel economy improvements after 1000, 5000, 10k miles. Your vehicle is fully broken-in after 300miles/500km.
      And yet I, for one, saw a steady increase in MPGs all the way to 20K miles with all of my new Volvo's. It is not dramatic, but nevertheless noticeable. Not going to speculate on what part is responsible, but I am sure it is NOT my foot...
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      past:
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

I barely get 21mpg with my 18 Inscription. I got better gas mileage with my 07 XC90 w 135k miles.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription | Electric Silver | Charcoal Int. w/Metal Mesh Inlay | Convenience : Navigation : Vision | Llumar CTX 30 & Air 80 Tint | 20" Black Diamond Cut Alloys
      2007 XC90 3.2F A 5 | Ice White | Beige Int. w/Genuine Wood Inlay | VIS : CPS : EBD : EBA : DTSC : TPMS : HSS : ROPS : IC : RSC : SIPS : WHIPS : LATCH | 12 Beverage Holders
      2000 S70 SE | Metallic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      And yet I, for one, saw a steady increase in MPGs all the way to 20K miles with all of my new Volvo's.
      Why did it stop improving at 20k miles? Why not 30k? I mean, it's the internet...

Why did it stop improving at 20k miles? Why not 30k? I mean, it's the internet...
      Don't know. Just reporting what I've observed.
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      past:
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

I'm an Uber driver with a 2012 T6. Lots of idle time, and stop-go. I average between 20.5 and 22MPG, and that's with the last-gen I6 engine and AWD. There's only one way you could get that kind of mileage out of a car with 2 fewer cylinders: YOU!

Try changing your driving technique. Between stop signs, I gently accelerate away, then get off the gas completely and coast down to 15 MPH, then apply the brakes to stop the car at the line and go again. If I see a red light 1/4 mile away, I just take my foot of the gas and coast to it. Staying on the gas longer is wasting fuel since you'd have to stop anyway.

Don't believe me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKIryzmF-VM

My 19 T6 Inscription gets horrible gas mileage. Mind you I only drive short distances in stop and go traffic. Yesterday I went to pick up my son from school and the fuel gauge was just over 1/4 tank and the distance to empty was 100 km and the low fuel indicator went on. This is crazy - at 1/4 tank it only has 100k? The current mileage stats from the volvo app are 19.7mpg or 11.9l/100 km. I only have approx 3500km on the car so hopefully it will increase.

The odd thing is it is reporting it only has a 71 liter tank - I thought they increased the tank size in the 19's?

Quote Originally Posted by spas1 View Post
      My 19 T6 Inscription gets horrible gas mileage. Mind you I only drive short distances in stop and go traffic. Yesterday I went to pick up my son from school and the fuel gauge was just over 1/4 tank and the distance to empty was 100 km and the low fuel indicator went on. This is crazy - at 1/4 tank it only has 100k? The current mileage stats from the volvo app are 19.7mpg or 11.9l/100 km. I only have approx 3500km on the car so hopefully it will increase.

The odd thing is it is reporting it only has a 71 liter tank - I thought they increased the tank size in the 19's?
      71 liter is about right, 18.5 gal in US. Tank size is increased on T8 only, from 50 liter to 70 liter.

Stop-and-go traffic is no good for mpg. If one always drive short distance and stop and go traffic, a hybrid car is much better to burn less fuel, get longer transmission lifetime, and not waste energy.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish93 View Post
      I'm an Uber driver with a 2012 T6. Lots of idle time, and stop-go. I average between 20.5 and 22MPG, and that's with the last-gen I6 engine and AWD. There's only one way you could get that kind of mileage out of a car with 2 fewer cylinders: YOU!

Try changing your driving technique. Between stop signs, I gently accelerate away, then get off the gas completely and coast down to 15 MPH, then apply the brakes to stop the car at the line and go again. If I see a red light 1/4 mile away, I just take my foot of the gas and coast to it. Staying on the gas longer is wasting fuel since you'd have to stop anyway.

Don't believe me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKIryzmF-VM
      Thanks. If driven as you describe, and people behind me honking and passing on quiet streets, it can marginally eke out 15 mpg. The dealer says its the Superchargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquin001 View Post
      Thanks. If driven as you describe, and people behind me honking and passing on quiet streets, it can marginally eke out 15 mpg. The dealer says its the Superchargers.
      I've had a couple of '18 XC60 T6 loaners for about a week at a time and I got 21 - 24 MPG combined (60% city, 40% highway) in both loaners driving normally. It ain't the supercharger, it's how you drive it.

For reference, I'm getting 50 - 52 MPG in my T8 on the same commute (charging once per day).

Cool. Cool.
      This is 100% city. Short trips. Alot of stop signs. I can guarantee you how I drive it.

VERY pleased with the fuel efficiency of this car.
      Just did 24.4 MPG on the highway during a 1300 mile trip.

Per the Volvo app, my average Fuel Consumption over the 9268 miles currently on the car is 21.7 MPG at an average speed of 26 MPH...that's lots of city stop and go!

2018 XC60 T6
      Last edited by Finest Kind; 05-17-2019 at 11:13 AM.

I've had a couple of '18 XC60 T6 loaners for about a week at a time and I got 21 - 24 MPG combined (60% city, 40% highway) in both loaners driving normally. It ain't the supercharger, it's how you drive it.

For reference, I'm getting 50 - 52 MPG in my T8 on the same commute (charging once per day).
      What's been going on with your T8 such that you've had to have it serviced twice, each for about a week?

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      What's been going on with your T8 such that you've had to have it serviced twice, each for about a week?
      Backordered parts - high voltage contactor, windshield.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast