Apple Car Play 2016 XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apple Car Play 2016 XC90

Hi,

from what I understand Apple Car play was available 2016 XC90 as a option, I just purchased a 2016 XC90 Inscription model and called the dealer to see how much this will cost. First he asked me if I had 2 usb ports in the center console, which I dont, I only have 1 so they are a extra cost as they need 2 USB ports? what for? so the yare telling me $465 Canadian for the software download, $146 for the 2nd USB port and 3 hours labor at $119 /hr to install the USB ports so $950 plus tax for apple carplay...LoL..... WTF

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ebber99 View Post
      Hi,

from what I understand Apple Car play was available 2016 XC90 as a option, I just purchased a 2016 XC90 Inscription model and called the dealer to see how much this will cost. First he asked me if I had 2 usb ports in the center console, which I dont, I only have 1 so they are a extra cost as they need 2 USB ports? what for? so the yare telling me $465 Canadian for the software download, $146 for the 2nd USB port and 3 hours labor at $119 /hr to install the USB ports so $950 plus tax for apple carplay...LoL..... WTF
      What dealership?

Call Volvo Canada and see if they can do anything. Many folks, myself included, had Volvo Canada pick up the tab.

edit: Oh, Apple CarPlay? You'll need to pay for the software (no hardware) at your dealer, but before you take it in, see if Volvo Canada will throw in the android auto retrofit at the same time (may as well, even if you don't need it today).
      Last edited by kramerica; 05-09-2019 at 03:14 PM.

In the US, I paid $400 to have CarPlay installed before I took delivery of my 2016 XC90. It was a software install, no additional hardware was/is required. My car came with only one USB port. Two USB ports is required for Android Auto. Many in the States had the installation of Android Auto and the two port USB hub installed for free if they already purchased smart phone integration, myself included.

In your case, I believe you will have to pay for the software installation of CarPlay. You do not need to purchase the two port USB hub because that is not necessary for CarPlay.

As suggested by kramerica, call Volvo Customer Care. Sounds like your dealership is clueless.
      Current:
      2019 XC90 T6 R-Design

Past:
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2012 C70 T5 Inscription
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 XC90 T6
      1999 V70R T5

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You can now request the android auto upgrade on 2016ís for free. There is a new TJ that now covers this. It will only be done if it requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      MY16 XC90 T8, Inscription, Onyx Black
      Vision, Conv, HUD, Climate, B&W, 4-Corner Susp., PAII

I had Volvo install my hardware and software for AA for free (part of some sort of lawsuit as Volvo originally marketed that the XC90 would be AA compatible, but the 2016's were missing the hardware)--need to arrange with Volvo Customer support before visiting the dealership for the work. At the same time I asked the dealer to install Apple Carplay and expected to pay for it, but the dealer charged me nothing.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Hi,

This may apply to you, I say "may" simply because you're in Canada, not that it should matter but -

https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-v...1420684273085/

The TJ for the Android Auto ďAddition of USB Hub and Android AutoĒ is TJ34222.1.1 for 2016ís.

The referenced cars.com article says the Apple CarPlay can be asked for as ďcourtesy upgradeĒ. Iíve looked on the VOLVO tech info library and donít see a reference to this as most anything VOLVO does has a TJ or SB associated with it.

Iíve asked for this about a year ago as ďgoodwillĒ and didnít get anywhere at the dealer. Would be good to reference something since I expect the dealer to be clueless. Anyone know if there is anything to reference from VOLVO on this?

MY16 XC90 T8, Inscription, Onyx Black
      Vision, Conv, HUD, Climate, B&W, 4-Corner Susp., PAII

My car is same and comes with Apple CarPlay

Hi,

I am from Toronto, Canada. I also purchased a 2016 XC90 Inscription in April. Before asking the dealer, I just inserted my iPhone into the one-and-only-one USB port. It prompted asking enabling Apple CarPlay or not. Therefore, I was reliefed. However, I am not sure if it came with free software update during annual services, or the previously owner has already paid for it. As for Android Auto, my understand is that you do need to purchase 2-port USB hardware to replace the 1-port version in MY 2016. I don't have Android, so not a priority for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Uukonjack View Post
      You can now request the android auto upgrade on 2016ís for free. There is a new TJ that now covers this. It will only be done if it requested.
      Can anyone confirm this? ... I am about to take the car in for the 30K service and have a 2016 with 1 USB port ...

you dont need the extra port if you are just getting CarPlay, it will work with just one port. If you ever want android auto you need the second higher amperage port for it.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

I can confirm that I have Apple Carplay on a 2016 XC90 Momentum Plus with one USB port.

I would assume that the armrest USB port is running back to the head unit regardless if you have Carplay or not, so it is probably just a software upgrade. Seems a little ridiculous to pay for $600+ for the Carplay licensing fee and to download some software, but they've got to make their money.

When I got CarPlay it was like 300

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Early 2016's were advertised as having CarPlay with no mention of cost; so when released, my dealer installed as a courtesy.
      There was some sort of documentation, sales training perhaps, that we discussed here on the forum that got many of us off the hook.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Quote Originally Posted by lurch70 View Post
      Can anyone confirm this? ... I am about to take the car in for the 30K service and have a 2016 with 1 USB port ...
      If you are in the US and first owner, yes you can request the upgrade to support Android Auto and it is free for a period of time.

Even if you only use CarPlay today, another driver or future owner may have Android Auto. It can be a bonus to some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      If you are in the US and first owner, yes you can request the upgrade to support Android Auto and it is free for a period of time.

Even if you only use CarPlay today, another driver or future owner may have Android Auto. It can be a bonus to some people.

Thanks! ... So I just had my 30k service done today and along with the latest Sensus update I asked them to install AA and ACP ... and they did ... for free ... even added the second USB port.
      Now for trying to figure out how they work.

Can't wait for the Carplay updates coming this Fall with iOS 13 - much-needed fixes like having multiple apps on one screen, so you aren't bouncing around between Podcast, Waze and Phone over and over again.

Here's a quick vid on a different vehicle
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cu3V1kStno

Quote Originally Posted by lurch70 View Post
      Thanks! ... So I just had my 30k service done today and along with the latest Sensus update I asked them to install AA and ACP ... and they did ... for free ... even added the second USB port.
      Now for trying to figure out how they work.
      How long did the install take you?

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunkchan View Post
      How long did the install take you?
      I had the car back in 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      Early 2016's were advertised as having CarPlay with no mention of cost; so when released, my dealer installed as a courtesy.
      There was some sort of documentation, sales training perhaps, that we discussed here on the forum that got many of us off the hook.
      This was my situation, and I have one port. Never paid any additional fee.

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
      2006 Sonic Blue V70R

See TJ34222.1.1-2018-10-31 (Addition of USB Hub and Android Auto)

Just pay the USD $2.50 three-day subscription for TJs to get a copy. The upgrade includes both CarPlay and Android and applies to select models.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Having Android Auto installed on our 2016 XC90 tomorrow. I emailed Volvo corporate and they set it up at no charge. The dealership had previously quoted me over $1500USD!

I just got off the phone with corporate since my car will be going in for service on Wednesday. I referenced the TJ and they told me it was up to the individual dealership as to if was free or not. Sounds like the runaround but I'm going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1052 View Post
      I just got off the phone with corporate since my car will be going in for service on Wednesday. I referenced the TJ and they told me it was up to the individual dealership as to if was free or not. Sounds like the runaround but I'm going to try.
      I called last week as well, and was told that CarPlay was not free. The woman on the phone did offer me a 30% rebate though.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunkchan View Post
      I called last week as well, and was told that CarPlay was not free. The woman on the phone did offer me a 30% rebate though.
      There seems to be some confusion here:

Apple Carplay: free if you have a 2016, not free if you have any other year
      Android Auto: now free (referencing the TJ)
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      There seems to be some confusion here:

Apple Carplay: free if you have a 2016, not free if you have any other year
      Android Auto: now free (referencing the TJ)
      Pretty sure what you've said it not accurate.

My recollection is that before CarPlay was released (remember MY16's beat it to market), the vehicle was advertised as coming with CarPlay and AA. Once CarPlay was released, many dealers tried to charge for it as in the official release literature it was not advertised as a free upgrade. At some point the website was updated and it was only vehicles before a certain point in MY16 that could get the upgrade for free.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

We recieved our 2016 XC90 in October of 2015. Very early in the introduction of the model. Ours did not have AA or CarPlay but later CarPlay was added through dealer updates (we did not request this, I think it came with one of the Sensus updates). The others are correct in that only certain 2016 XC90s (depends on delivery date) can get the AA done for free through Volvo corporate. Hoping to get ours back today and see how it works.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On my 2016 i referenced the advertisement of Android Auto compatability. I mentioned that it was a selling point of the car and a friend was trying to plug his phone in and there was to Android Auto. I also referenced the TJ that two USB ports were needed for AA to work. I got the updated two USB module and now Android Auto and Apple play both work... for free
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

Got ours back yesterday, they installed the second usb port for Android Auto for free. 2016 XC90 here. Works good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Got word today that AA parts were ordered and it will be a "goodwill" installation.

Pretty sure what you've said it not accurate.

My recollection is that before CarPlay was released (remember MY16's beat it to market), the vehicle was advertised as coming with CarPlay and AA. Once CarPlay was released, many dealers tried to charge for it as in the official release literature it was not advertised as a free upgrade. At some point the website was updated and it was only vehicles before a certain point in MY16 that could get the upgrade for free.
      I'm pretty sure what I said is indeed actually correct.
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      I'm pretty sure what I said is indeed actually correct.
      No hes right, only cars built before Jan 1 2017 could get it for free.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Hi everyone and thanks for the useful information that is shared here.
      I have a XC90 2016 T6 inscription in Miami and due to the new legislation about using telephone on the car I thought it would be good to install CarPlay and use Waze within sensus instead of using it with the mobile phone. Last week I requested to the dealership the price to install it but after they asked me $750 which seemed outrageous I started to do more online research and ended here.....
      All this brief explanation is to say that I sent yesterday an email to Volvo (following what other users on the forum did) and 12 hours later they told me they are going to install AA without any cost but CarPlay was offered as an accessory at the moment I bought the car so they won’t cover it.
      I’m very happy but still don’t understand if by installing AA on my car it’s only a matter of also installing another software for CarPlay to work or it’s totally different hardware/parts than the ones for AA?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricbialy View Post
      Hi everyone and thanks for the useful information that is shared here.
      I have a XC90 2016 T6 inscription in Miami and due to the new legislation about using telephone on the car I thought it would be good to install CarPlay and use Waze within sensus instead of using it with the mobile phone. Last week I requested to the dealership the price to install it but after they asked me $750 which seemed outrageous I started to do more online research and ended here.....
      All this brief explanation is to say that I sent yesterday an email to Volvo (following what other users on the forum did) and 12 hours later they told me they are going to install AA without any cost but CarPlay was offered as an accessory at the moment I bought the car so they wonít cover it.
      Iím very happy but still donít understand if by installing AA on my car itís only a matter of also installing another software for CarPlay to work or itís totally different hardware/parts than the ones for AA?
      See if theyíre trying to upgrade you to dual USB or if itís just for the software. You can upgrade just the software to get CarPlay and that would certainly be less than going to dual USB. Check this page for the accessories info and part numbers.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-517129/2016

It should help you with understanding what the dealer quoted you. I recall back in the day based on posts here that the upgrade was about $200-$300 for the SW upgrade installed. I think others have mentioned it in this thread as well. You donít need AA for CarPlay. In fact I think itís the other way around. I recall on our 2017 an update later added AA (wish it could have been declined).
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 07-13-2019 at 02:05 AM.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

The dealership did say about upgrading for dual usb and also for the mobile phone communication part when they asked me around $750....anyway I’m waiting to communicate with the dealership on Monday to see if they have the parts and also if it’s possible to make CarPlay work as well.

I forgot to add this link in my prior response. It has the part numbers for upgrade including dual USB or if sticking with single.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-517129/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ricbialy View Post
      The dealership did say about upgrading for dual usb and also for the mobile phone communication part when they asked me around $750....anyway Iím waiting to communicate with the dealership on Monday to see if they have the parts and also if itís possible to make CarPlay work as well.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast