Copy of Social Security card-Really?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Copy of Social Security card-Really?

We are leaving in one week to pick up our XC90! So....I'm starting to organize everything and I see in the Volvo Home Shipment Program brochure under "Bringing Your Documents" that U.S. citizens need to show proof of your social security number (copy of your social security card). Is this true? Has anyone NOT been asked to provide this when turning in your car?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Iweenie View Post
      Has anyone NOT been asked to provide this when turning in your car?
      Me.

I believe they asked for my driver's license and/or passport. SS card never came up nor did I bring it back in 2018 July. Maybe things have changed? Hopefully someone who took delivery more recently can comment.

Congrats and enjoy!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

No one asked for SS Card from us.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It is listed for completeness I think. Driver license and passport are good enough.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

We are leaving in one week to pick up our XC90! So....I'm starting to organize everything and I see in the Volvo Home Shipment Program brochure under "Bringing Your Documents" that U.S. citizens need to show proof of your social security number (copy of your social security card). Is this true? Has anyone NOT been asked to provide this when turning in your car?
      We did the FDC/shipment in mid-January; passport and driver license was all they wanted to see.

Enjoy the trip - and the new wheels!!!! Post pictures please
      2019 XC40 T5 Inscription (OSD), Luminous Sand, Adv, Prem, Vis, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel Packages, Harmon Kardon, Four-C Active Chassis
      2012 S60 T5

Thanks to everyone for replying. I thought it was a bit odd.

I remember seeing that on the checklist, and thus took a copy with me. As I recall, the folks at the Munich airport dropoff facility did not ask for it. That said, why not simply take a copy as you don't want something so easy to do to create a glitch.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

We did OSD recently and I saw this requirement before going on the trip. I emailed FDC and they said I need it. When I picked up and dropped off the car, all they looked at was my driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by SCwires View Post
      I remember seeing that on the checklist, and thus took a copy with me. As I recall, the folks at the Munich airport dropoff facility did not ask for it. That said, why not simply take a copy as you don't want something so easy to do to create a glitch.
      Mainly because our SS cards are in the safe deposit box at the bank and with everything else I have to get done, I didn't want to go in there, get the cards, go somewhere to get copies, go back to the bank, blah, blah, blah....just complaining. it's not a huge deal. I just thought it strange that anyone in Sweden would want to see it.

When I did my OSD last year all they wanted to see was my driver's license and passport.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SCwires View Post
      I made a copy of mine and will take it, just in case, but won’t offer it unless they ask. We are dropping off in Amsterdam which seems less common, so I thought it best to be prepared.

Seems like I remember reading other posts where US customs contacts people asking to email their SSN...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      MY19 OSD - XC40 T5 AWD Momentum (Osmium grey metallic)

Mainly because our SS cards are in the safe deposit box at the bank and with everything else I have to get done, I didn't want to go in there, get the cards, go somewhere to get copies, go back to the bank, blah, blah, blah....just complaining. it's not a huge deal. I just thought it strange that anyone in Sweden would want to see it.
      Why are we beating such a simple issue to death? Every bank branch I've ever visited has a copy machine. Failing that, take a photo of your card with your phone.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

From the Volvo home shipment brochure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Well there ya go......thanks for the clarification!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Just came back from my OSD trip yesterday. I was at the FDC on Monday March 16th and the Social Security card/number never came up. I didn't even need to buy winter tires even though it wasn't after March 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by rapayn1 View Post
      Just came back from my OSD trip yesterday. I was at the FDC on Monday March 16th and the Social Security card/number never came up. I didn't even need to buy winter tires even though it wasn't after March 31st.
      You must have been one of the last ones to currently go through the Volvo FDC - congrats! From what I've read it closed on March 17th! Would love to hear a little more detail about your experience if you don't mind!
      Future: 2021 V90 CC (OSD)
      Current: 2017 Subaru Outback Touring
      Previous: 2005 Volvo V70R
      1971 Triumph Tiger 650 (OSD)

There were three names on the board at the FDC (counting my own). We were the only ones that showed up. The other two people (also from the USA according to the board) never showed up. So, yes, we may well have been the last OSD people to make it to the FDC before it was all shutdown.

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements