A fresh start... 97 850R Estate - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      Hows the SCP heater core doing? Looking at replacing mine in the R.
      No complaints. Have installed several with no leaks. The latest one doesnít have the annoying smell the previous ones did when they were new.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Great work, John. Iím glad I was able to help find this car for you and I must say it has gone to a true enthusiast rather than the guy who had it that let it sit and wither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks again.. I never thought Iíd find another like my old one in my price range.

I ended up about $1000 in the hole after insurance money with what it took to get the new one roadworthy - but itís in better mechanical shape than the old one and Iíll recoup most of that selling the parts off the wrecked car once I keep what I need/want. And I got some enjoyment, perhaps therapy, out of the work on the new car. So Iím not sweating it!

Couple minor tweaks this week...

Vanity plate. $45 upcharge in Indiana over a regular plate, but why not...

SC901 out, replaced by an inexpensive Pioneer double din with Apple CarPlay. I struggled with this decision because I know once you remove the ribs out of the dash, you really canít easily Ďgo backí to the factory stereo.... but I really like CarPlay and drive a ton....

I bought an adapter to hook the factory amp to the new head unit but the power and ground wires weee flimsy and broke off flush to the adapter in a way I couldnít repair it, so I unplugged the factory amp. Time to research what it will take to build a Ďqualityí DIN to RCA adapter for this purpose, and decide whether I want the factory amp or not. It sounds dang nice using the head unit power....

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Good deal, really. Now you need to add a Wang.
      Quote Originally Posted by johnwartjr View Post
      Thanks again.. I never thought Iíd find another like my old one in my price range.

I ended up about $1000 in the hole after insurance money with what it took to get the new one roadworthy - but itís in better mechanical shape than the old one and Iíll recoup most of that selling the parts off the wrecked car once I keep what I need/want. And I got some enjoyment, perhaps therapy, out of the work on the new car. So Iím not sweating it!

"The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Good deal, really. Now you need to add a Wang.

I have a white 3rd brake light spoiler with failing clearcoat.

Plan in the spring to have front and rear bumper covers refinished, rocker panel covers refinished and add the spoiler to the pile.

Iím either taking the cover off my parts car, which is uncracked but got a circular cut from the tailpipe of the car I got pushed into on the accident, or possibly buying one of the reproduction covers Swedish car parts is making. They are supposed to be under $250, so it makes sense to have one made of plastic that hasnít degraded for 25ish years and had repairs made to it.

Of course, I also have a NOS cover in a Volvo box Iíve been sitting on for a few years. For whatever reason I havenít felt the need to put it on one of the Rs Iíve owned over the years

Couple other things Iíve been debating...

This car needs an exhaust tip. The original one had rusted away. The rest of the exhaust is intact, so Iím tempted to just source a stock or stock appearing tip and change it.

One problem with having a pair of 850Rs is, I only really want to mod one heavily. One needs to remain somewhat stock and serve as the Ďspareí car. For that reason, I always kept one around with an automatic (ex wife couldnít drive stick). So while an aftermarket exhaust sounds really cool, the car doesnít need it, and if I were buying one, Iíd put one in the other car first. If the entire exhaust system were bad, Iíd be looking towards and entire exhaust system. As stuff truly fails? Iíll upgrade sensibly on this car.

This car also badly needs a drivers seat. The lower skin has some significant holes in it. I provided a set of 850R seat skins to Swedish car parts to measure etc for making reproduction covers. The ones on the market now are super expensive and as I understand are not 100% original materials - I believe I was told they donít use real alcantra.

Otherwise, a little bit of tint, some minor paint touch up, and a full interior detail, this one will be done. For now anyways Iím gonna pull the carpets out of my parts car, clean and extract them, and install them in this car as well. Iíll also be swapping door panels as the original ones in this car are shot, and changing the headliner and sunroof glass with the parts car. The sunroof frame on this one is really rusty.

Looking good! The exhaust on my R is TOTALLY gone, so maybe the people I plan from buying my exhaust from (Skandix) have a square tip that you can buy?
      In the Garage
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / 134,6xx /
      Blixt / 1996 850 R, Polar White + Charcoal / 219,6xx /

Quote Originally Posted by johnwartjr View Post
      SC901 out, replaced by an inexpensive Pioneer double din with Apple CarPlay. I struggled with this decision because I know once you remove the ribs out of the dash, you really canít easily Ďgo backí to the factory stereo.... but I really like CarPlay and drive a ton....
      That's a nice beard you're rockin' there, sir!

I was going to say that I'd take the SC-901, but the photo shows a SC-900. I take it the photo is correct.

Also, now you have me bummed because my Venetian has had an aftermarket HU from two owners back, and I didn't realize I couldn't easily revert back. I've never actually attempted to remove the current one.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      That's a nice beard you're rockin' there, sir!

I was going to say that I'd take the SC-901, but the photo shows a SC-900. I take it the photo is correct.

Also, now you have me bummed because my Venetian has had an aftermarket HU from two owners back, and I didn't realize I couldn't easily revert back. I've never actually attempted to remove the current one.
      I have 5-6 of the dang things. Literally. For some reason, I bought every one I found at the pull a part over the course of a year lol. Guess this one was a 900! Iím not sure what the difference is, but since they changed the p/n, *something* had to change?

Iím not sure the best way to retain a factory head unit after cutting the ribs out of the opening, maybe some Velcro or adhesive? Wouldnít easily be serviceable but you might be able to make one stay in the dash?

The previous owner of my car installed a double din radio (rather, paid someone to install it), and I replaced it with the stock SC-815 and it fits fine. It just doesn't click and lock into place and could be pulled out, but it's really not a problem
      1996 854R | M56H | 16T | 266k

For a exhaust tip check your local walmart if your on a budget or want to save a few buck over some overpriced one. The have some decent ones and there cheap.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 152k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 53K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 82k

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3