wow. $199.99 for oil change??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wow. $199.99 for oil change??

Volvo of oakville charges $199.99 for oil change and $125 for cabin filter??? that is robbery.

I wish there are dealers who charges a fair value for their work.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I hope you didn’t pay that!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      I hope you didn’t pay that!!!

nope. but lots of people did today. old ladies.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I hate the vehicle owning experience more and more everyday.

Vehicles are more expensive to acquire. “New technology” breaks more often and is more expensive to fix. More parts of the vehicle are integrated together so you have to buy OEM or have special tools/software to fix something / no aftermarket option availability —> higher costs. Basic maintenance prices are through the roof.

:: End of rant ::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealerships gotta steal. Does volvocare give out 10% service coupon? Or no?

Sadly, as TheNip73 notes, car ownership will at some point become a "have and have not" breakdown due to the costs of ownership.
      I went to get an oil change in 2016 and learned it was nearly 100 bucks. I shopped on Amazon for the tool, FCP Euro for the filters and washers, and go to walmart for the synthetic jugs. I think (without my labor) I am somewhere near 37 bucks for the changes. That 100 bucks now covers three P2s...
      Quote Originally Posted by jnusaputra View Post
      Volvo of oakville charges $199.99 for oil change and $125 for cabin filter??? that is robbery.

"The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by TheNip73 View Post
      I hate the vehicle owning experience more and more everyday.

Vehicles are more expensive to acquire. “New technology” breaks more often and is more expensive to fix. More parts of the vehicle are integrated together so you have to buy OEM or have special tools/software to fix something / no aftermarket option availability —> higher costs. Basic maintenance prices are through the roof.

:: End of rant ::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I agree but dont think this model is sustainable in even the medium run. This is why vehicle ownership will be radically different by 2025 than it is now. This is why I bought my first extended warranty ever...... Soon though we will be driving electric cars, ride sharing, even more leasing with all maintenance included etc. The good news is that electric vehicles have far fewer moving parts and no fluids other than brake fluid.

I believe we will all live to see the day of self driving cars allowing us to “Uber” everywhere. Parking will no longer be an issue. Near field charging will be ubiquitous.

Finally, prices will have to adjust to the new lower earning power that many people will have as more and more jobs are replaced by robotics......(I am not predicting this by 2025 BTW....just in our lifetimes)

Is that an actual oil change price or is it for the "Volvo of Blah Blah Blah Recommended Maintenance Service?"

I've found a lot of dealers, even of fairly entry level brands, tend to offer service packages with all sorts of items that aren't in the book. But if you ask for a simple oil change it's a bit more reasonable.

My dealer charges 90 bucks for an oil change. But if you go for annual maintenance it's about 200 bucks and I think it's probably due to software upgrade, which is reasonable for additional 110 bucks. If you do it yourself you need to buy the cable, buy 3 day subscription (at this point you are already over 110 bucks), and risk bricking your car.

I recently had to do the 40k service, which was the first of the services I had to pay for (Volvo included 10k, 20k, and 30k.... not sure if they still do or what). The 10k interval services are defined by Volvo as to what parts/services they include, so you should be getting exactly the same thing regardless of which dealer you go to . So I did a comparison (right off their web service portal) of local service departments: One was $525 (15 minutes from me), one was $325 (30 minutes from me), one was $730 (1 hour from me). I asked the closest dealership (which I usually go to) to match the $325 of the other dealership - they said they called the $325 dealership and they told them $390 over the phone, so they'd agree to match that. I ended up just scheduling with the $325 dealership and they charged me exactly $325. Just goes to show that this whole thing is a game with pricing so non-transparent that none of them really know what they're charging for or why.

Quote Originally Posted by kevintinple View Post
      My dealer charges 90 bucks for an oil change. But if you go for annual maintenance it's about 200 bucks and I think it's probably due to software upgrade, which is reasonable for additional 110 bucks. If you do it yourself you need to buy the cable, buy 3 day subscription (at this point you are already over 110 bucks), and risk bricking your car.
      They shouldn’t be charging for software updates.

“What is Service by Volvo?
      Our mission is to make your life less complicated and guarantee an outstanding combination of quality, reassurance and expertise.

Free Software Updates:
      At Volvo, we're constantly improving the software for our cars. This means that your Volvo can potentially improve at every service visit. If your Volvo needs the latest software update, we'll make sure it happens at no cost.”

The free software updates are supposed to be for factory scheduled maintenance services, not oil changes.

As for the discrepency on the 40k prices, I looked at a few other dealers (both near mine and randomly around the country) and there is quite a variance. Almost all are priced higher than if you just had them perform just the replacements and skipped the various "inspections".

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      The free software updates are supposed to be for factory scheduled maintenance services, not oil changes.

As for the discrepency on the 40k prices, I looked at a few other dealers (both near mine and randomly around the country) and there is quite a variance. Almost all are priced higher than if you just had them perform just the replacements and skipped the various "inspections".

That would be great to go a la cart, but when I tried that the dealer would not agree to perform the software updates. Had to get the 40k service. Ugh.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by mcharkowski View Post
      I asked the closest dealership (which I usually go to) to match the $325 of the other dealership - they said they called the $325 dealership and they told them $390 over the phone, so they'd agree to match that. I ended up just scheduling with the $325 dealership and they charged me exactly $325. Just goes to show that this whole thing is a game with pricing so non-transparent that none of them really know what they're charging for or why.
      Doesn't that make you sick to your stomach? "That" meaning the stupidity of the your closest stealership's business practice/service department. They could've made $325, but they made none.

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      That would be great to go a la cart, but when I tried that the dealer would not agree to perform the software updates. Had to get the 40k service. Ugh.
      That doesn’t seem to support the “service by Volvo” promise?

Maybe this is the value of getting service at the dealer where you buy.....ask the sales manager to go to bat for you, if he wants to sell you your next car

You have a few choices:
      [1] Go to the dealer and pay top dollar
      [2] Independent shop and pay a little less
      [3] Do it yourself and pay for materials only (plus your time)

Let me hold your hand:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

In the future we will not be burdened by this... EV = No Oil or Air Filter changes.
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

Not too bad?

If 7-8 liters of oil at $12/liter plus oil filter at $30 plus better part of an hour for labor at $125-150/hr then $199 is about right. Way less expensive than DFC Porsche or BMW Toronto.

I realize that not everyone can go DIY route, but will just leave this here:
      - 6qt of full synthetic $30 + $10 oil filter. how to:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfG3NGUBuTg

- cabin filter $43 OEM or $16 off brand. how to:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXTPzRBx2k&t=112s

- engine air filter $29 OEM or about half for off brand
      Poverty-spec 2016 XC90 T8 Momentum
      Zero options, $52K out the door brand new

Anyone know how to clean the inside of the windshield in front of the camera? Also, I’ve never heard of it being a necessity to change the brake fluid every 40k miles, is that unusual or am I out of date?

Im assuming that changing the engine air filter is fairly straightforward.

Last year it was $179 so I guess price must have gone up! But it's not just Volvo, BMW and Mercedes charge similar prices. I wouldn't pay dealer for cabin filter, I'm sure you can buy online and DIY.
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PA2 | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16
      My Insta

Quote Originally Posted by Vetallist View Post
      I realize that not everyone can go DIY route, but will just leave this here:
      - 6qt of full synthetic $30 + $10 oil filter. how to:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfG3NGUBuTg

- cabin filter $43 OEM or $16 off brand. how to:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXTPzRBx2k&t=112s

- engine air filter $29 OEM or about half for off brand
      Thanks for this summary, you can bet I will DIY while physically and mentally able.

Can't wait for full electric XC90 for minimal maintenance, just throw it away like a cell phone (I wish)

And I like your "poverty spec" signature, hilarious
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      Last year it was $179 so I guess price must have gone up! But it's not just Volvo, BMW and Mercedes charge similar prices. I wouldn't pay dealer for cabin filter, I'm sure you can buy online and DIY.
      the guy won't even give her a break on the labour of the cabin filter....i think if they charged her $275 for cabin filter, oil change then it is better....on top of that, it was $99 to do a tire rotation!
      they don't have their own equipment for alignment and out sources it to kia next door.

2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Can't wait for full electric XC90 for minimal maintenance, just throw it away like a cell phone (I wish)
      Same here, waiting patiently 🙏 lol
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PA2 | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16
      My Insta

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      And I like your "poverty spec" signature, hilarious
      it's in response to another known douchenozzle who insists everyone who doesn't get a loaded R-design is in poverty. My T6 was a whopping $4 less than Vetallist's T8. (There is no way a T8 would save $5K worth of gas over a period of 4 years)

I understand people who live in apartments or do not have a hydraulic jack. Changing the oil at 'home' is not possible. But there are other alternatives: independent garages. They don't have to be 'Volvo' mechanics, but many of them are honest and do want your business. Some will accept your unopened bottles/jugs of synthetic motor oil, but always ask first!

Of course, these Mom and Pop operations don't have waiting areas with free coffee. But usually there is a coffee shop within a block.

Once your Volvo is out of free service at your dealer, you are free to have it serviced anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by klausc View Post
      I understand people who live in apartments or do not have a hydraulic jack. Changing the oil at 'home' is not possible. But there are other alternatives: independent garages. They don't have to be 'Volvo' mechanics, but many of them are honest and do want your business. Some will accept your unopened bottles/jugs of synthetic motor oil, but always ask first!

Of course, these Mom and Pop operations don't have waiting areas with free coffee. But usually there is a coffee shop within a block.

Once your Volvo is out of free service at your dealer, you are free to have it serviced anywhere.
      You can service your car anywhere from day 1.

And you can get a dishonest tech at an indy shop just like you can at a dealer. It's about the person, not where they work.

Last year I took my wife's 2016 XC90 in for 40k service, thinking it was the last one Volvo would cover. Nope. Dealer (Herzog-Meier in Beaverton) quoted me $585 for the service, which included oil change, cabin filter, air filter, brake inspection, full stop. Since we were leaving town next day for long road trip, I didn't have time to get what I needed to do it myself, so I paid. But they have lost a customer forever. If you're listening H-M, eff off!

They charged me 3 hrs labor as part of this service, all of which I can do in under 30 minutes and I don't have the equipment they have nor do I do this every day. Next oil change, I noticed they had lost one of the screws holding on the plastic skid plate...

I have done my own maintenance on my other cars for years (XC70, S40, M3) and was simply caught out here. The Castrol Volvo specify for this car is impossible to get except from stealership, but I have been using LiquiMoly 0W-20 and it is fine. On my own, sourcing from FCP, etc., I can do that entire service for about $100-$150 and an hour of my time.

While I'm in rant mode, might I say a few words about the new XC90. Not impressed! Great to drive, but electronics and fit-and-finish leave much to be desired. Software updates have improved things, but the stupid car for example still cannot tell reliably that I'm getting in the drivers seat even if my wife's fob is miles away. It will actually revert the mirrors/seat to my wife's settings -- she's a foot shorter than me, so you can imagine how that works out..

A friend recently purchased a 2019 XC90 hybrid, and eventually had to lemon-law the damn thing due to so many electrical issues. Now he's got a new one, but it is back at the dealer because the air-ride suspension went south. Sheesh!

Not only will I never do business with Herzog-Meier again, very likely not even Volvo...think my wife's next car will be a Macan S.

Exactly the reason I stopped using the dealers years ago. Apparently they (dealers) are seeing the drop in attendance. I am now seeing all kinds of come-on offers to get me into their service bay and I estimate that other owners are seeing the same thing.

Years ago on a V50 PCV warranty I caught them in the act of not doing the entire warranty job. They cut corners and didn't install new parts that Volvo USA was paying them to install. I'm a car guy and check others work. At the time I wondered how many people didn't catch the scam? They fixed it and gave me a $50 credit card toward purchases of Volvo products.

Errrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by bradley View Post
      Last year I took my wife's 2016 XC90 in for 40k service, thinking it was the last one Volvo would cover. Nope. Dealer (Herzog-Meier in Beaverton) quoted me $585 for the service, which included oil change, cabin filter, air filter, brake inspection, full stop. Since we were leaving town next day for long road trip, I didn't have time to get what I needed to do it myself, so I paid. But they have lost a customer forever. If you're listening H-M, eff off!

They charged me 3 hrs labor as part of this service, all of which I can do in under 30 minutes and I don't have the equipment they have nor do I do this every day. Next oil change, I noticed they had lost one of the screws holding on the plastic skid plate...

I have done my own maintenance on my other cars for years (XC70, S40, M3) and was simply caught out here. The Castrol Volvo specify for this car is impossible to get except from stealership, but I have been using LiquiMoly 0W-20 and it is fine. On my own, sourcing from FCP, etc., I can do that entire service for about $100-$150 and an hour of my time.

While I'm in rant mode, might I say a few words about the new XC90. Not impressed! Great to drive, but electronics and fit-and-finish leave much to be desired. Software updates have improved things, but the stupid car for example still cannot tell reliably that I'm getting in the drivers seat even if my wife's fob is miles away. It will actually revert the mirrors/seat to my wife's settings -- she's a foot shorter than me, so you can imagine how that works out..

A friend recently purchased a 2019 XC90 hybrid, and eventually had to lemon-law the damn thing due to so many electrical issues. Now he's got a new one, but it is back at the dealer because the air-ride suspension went south. Sheesh!

Not only will I never do business with Herzog-Meier again, very likely not even Volvo...think my wife's next car will be a Macan S.
      40k also includes a brake fluid flush, so that price isn't exactly unfair.

Paid $168 at the dealer in Bloomington, IN. Steep yes but, they look over the whole car (in an effort to sell me more services, I'm sure) and I see that as a value add. 7 quarts of Castrol synthetic, the filter, drain plug gasket and labor? Sounds about right. Could I do it myself cheaper? Sure but I could also brick the car trying to reset the maintenance system too. This way I get a nice little 1/2 hour drive, play on my computer for an hour or so and another 1/2 hour drive home. Not too bad really.

Quote Originally Posted by vzhq16 View Post
      Paid $168 at the dealer in Bloomington, IN. Steep yes but, they look over the whole car (in an effort to sell me more services, I'm sure) and I see that as a value add. 7 quarts of Castrol synthetic, the filter, drain plug gasket and labor? Sounds about right. Could I do it myself cheaper? Sure but I could also brick the car trying to reset the maintenance system too. This way I get a nice little 1/2 hour drive, play on my computer for an hour or so and another 1/2 hour drive home. Not too bad really.
      Just did first annual service at my NH dealer. Basically an oil change with oil and oil filter plus inspection. No cabin filters due to low mileage of 2,100 miles. No computer updates apparently required on MY 2018 XC90.

$103 before tax (no NH sales tax).

Oddly, my city of 200,000 no longer has a Volvo dealer, but we used to. The head mechanic at that former dealership opened his own independent shop and follows the Volvo guidelines if you ask him to, otherwise, everything is ala carte. That said, he charges $90 for an oil & filter change AND he does an overall inspection every time a car comes into his shop included in whatever service you're paying for. If you really want a better price, check some of the "corporate" stores like Tire Kingdom/National Tire, Kaufmann, Goodyear, etc. as they average about $78. If your local WalMart has a service department, they charge $62. These are all prices I've verified for a full synthetic oil & filter change using Volvo-spec parts. As an old gearhead, I've owned dozens of cars in my life, and my 2013 C30 is the most labor-intensive oil change since my 1980 Mercedes-Benz 6.9. To me, it's worth the $90 to not have to 1) jack up my car, 2) place jackstands under it, 3) remove the aero-cover underneath, 4) remove a NON-spin-on filter & replace, 5) reverse steps 1-4, 6) add the oil, then go take a shower! Now, if I had a lift in my garage...........

You can change your cabin filter easily all by yourself.

Go to an independent garage or oil-change business.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast