Things you discovered about your car which are fun and interesting.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Things you discovered about your car which are fun and interesting.

I used to be on the Saab owners forum, but since I retired that car, I bought a 2015.5 Volvo S60 and I have discovered a few fun features, or commonly known as Easter Eggs.

1. In the S60 Sedan, if you use the actual key to lock the glovebox, it acts like a Valet. Locking the glove box disables the trunk function on the fob and the dash, so you can safely lock things in the trunk and someone else driving the car can't get into it, unless they have the physical key and unlock the glovebox.

2. If you hold down the > button on the steering wheel or dash, the radio will advance to the next station. Great for when you are traveling If you tap it, it just advances to your next pre-set station

Feel free to add other features you have discovered.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I enjoy the "I" button on the fob - if you press it, it will show if the car was locked or not. Great for those of us who walk away and say "did I lock the car?"
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      I enjoy the "I" button on the fob - if you press it, it will show if the car was locked or not. Great for those of us who walk away and say "did I lock the car?"
      Use this all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1995 Jaguar XJ6 Topaz/Oatmeal
      No F*cks given build
      2002 v70 xc Polar White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap, BC BR Coilovers-Custom Build, M66 swap in waiting
      2014 s60 T5 Crystal White/Soft Beige
      Mods: 20in Niche M155, R-Design Bumper w/Cross Country Grill

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Following up on #2 above, if you are streaming Youtube through Bluetooth, pressing the >> button will go to the next video if one is available.

Another thing, if you try to pop the trunk or gas door while car is moving it will not allow you.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

If you drive away and the electric parking brake is on, it self releases.

If you try to apply it when you are moving, it won't let you. That means no Emergency Brake!!! Just a parking brake.

Quote Originally Posted by jlthunder View Post
      Only if you buckle up the seatbelt.

If you try to apply it when you are moving, it won't let you. That means no Emergency Brake!!! Just a parking brake.
      I believe, though never tested, if you keep your hand on the button the brake will engage.
      Last edited by Almaz; 05-16-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      [
      I believe, though never tested, if you keep your hand on the button the brake will engage.
      Correct. From page 124 of my owners manual:

• In an emergency the parking brake can
      be applied when the vehicle is moving
      by holding in the control. Braking will be
      interrupted when the accelerator pedal
      is depressed or the control is released.
      • An audible signal will sound during this
      procedure if the vehicle is moving at
      speeds above 6 mph (10 km/h).
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

1) Rain Sensor Wiper Function - You can toggle the Rain Sensing Wipers on and off with the button. If you need to wipe more rain away than the sensor seems to think it needs to, and turn your stalk to the other modes manually, it knocks the Rain Sensing system off. However, if you just flip the stalk up instead to activate the single wiping pass, the Rain Sensing stays on. I find that useful when I feel like I need to assist the automatic wipers here and there without having to reach down and push the button back on.

2) You can activate the rear mirror turndown individually for each mirror you want to use instead of just setting the My Car to do it automatically when reversing for both mirrors. When you go into reverse, just push the button down for the mirror you want specifically (say the left mirror if you are parallel parking on the left side and want to place your wheel in the right location without curbing your wheel).

3) You can also fold the mirrors in while the car is in motion by pushing both buttons at the same time. This is useful for close proximity to walls, ATM machines, etc.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post

3) You can also fold the mirrors in while the car is in motion by pushing both buttons at the same time. This is useful for close proximity to walls, ATM machines, etc.
      That's cool, I can't do it but I've known it exists as you have validated it. I can't count the number of times I have close to grazing my mirror against a brick in the wall and it's raining and I've had to reach out and fold it manually.

I like the backseat headrest button that lowers them when more visibility is required or to gently tap passengers heads in comical moments.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

The 12V outlet at the boot is always on. This saved me the need to run a fuse tap for my dashcam.

A boost hose with a rotating coupling that conveniently exposes a ton of space to service the angle gear without disconnecting the section that's behind the engine.

Drop down headrests for visibility and passenger punishment.

A freaking remote control so the rear can control the radio.
      2017 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      The 12V outlet at the boot is always on. This saved me the need to run a fuse tap for my dashcam.

A boost hose with a rotating coupling that conveniently exposes a ton of space to service the angle gear without disconnecting the section that's behind the engine.

Drop down headrests for visibility and passenger punishment.

A freaking remote control so the rear can control the radio.
      I love "bopping" my son with that drop down headrest. I accidentally did that to the salesman when I test drove the car. He was in the back and I said "What does this button do?" Surprised both of us.

I don't think I have the remote control for the radio. Mine didn't come with it or the previous owner kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      What "I" button? My fob only has lock, unlock, trunk, parking lights and alarm. No remote start as that option was not selected when the car was ordered(previous owner)

What "I" button? My fob only has lock, unlock, trunk, parking lights and alarm. No remote start as that option was not selected when the car was ordered(previous owner)
      Was going to ask the same thing, I don't have that on my fob either. I don't have remote start but do have the keyless drive system so I don't need to put the key in the slot, I assume the "I" button is on the non-keyless?
      Last edited by PostmanPat; 05-16-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Learned about this one when trying to drift on cafeteria trays (fwd probs). Such a killjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1995 Jaguar XJ6 Topaz/Oatmeal
      No F*cks given build
      2002 v70 xc Polar White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap, BC BR Coilovers-Custom Build, M66 swap in waiting
      2014 s60 T5 Crystal White/Soft Beige
      Mods: 20in Niche M155, R-Design Bumper w/Cross Country Grill

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
      Was going to ask the same thing, I don't have that on my fob either. I don't have remote start but do have the keyless drive system so I don't need to put the key in the slot, I assume the "I" button is on the non-keyless?
      The "I" button is on the keyless fob on our 2014 S60. At the airport once I couldn't remember locking the car and pressed "I" and confirmed I hadn't locked the car. I had time for a quick trip to the parking lot. On my 2015.5 they dropped the "I" button on the fob but I get a notification that my car is unlocked and I can lock it from the VOC app. Very convenient.
      2015.5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, BLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold) 120,000+ miles
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold) 160,000+ miles
      1996 Saab 900S (sold) 110,000+ miles

The I button is on the optional key fob known as Personal Car Communicator.

Not sure about this, but it seems that when I first start on a hot day, no cool air is directed to the windshield vents, but as the car cools down there is some airflow there.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
      The "i" button was on cars with Keyless Go, at least for 2012, because Keyless Go included the PCC. It was not dependent on having remote start activated. Volvo may have changed the key fob sometime after 2012 though.

In for later.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

I'm ashamed to say I owned my 2015.5 V60CC for 3 years before I realized I could shoot windshield cleaning fluid on my rear window. My Saab wagon had that feature but I just thought it wasn't a feature in my V60CC. Not that cleaner fluid is needed back there much but if it is, now I can make it happen.
      2015.5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, BLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold) 120,000+ miles
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold) 160,000+ miles
      1996 Saab 900S (sold) 110,000+ miles

This threads awesome.

I love "bopping" my son with that drop down headrest. I accidentally did that to the salesman when I test drove the car. He was in the back and I said "What does this button do?" Surprised both of us.

I don't think I have the remote control for the radio. Mine didn't come with it or the previous owner kept it.
      Where is this button?

What about the flip up shopping panel in the rear boot (trunk) with the elastic band and hooks to secure shopping bags? I didn't even know it was there until 6 months after I bought the car. No more jars or loose onions rolling around the boot!
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Cat Back Exhaust
      2012 XC90 3.2 R-Design - Ice White

I'm embarrassed to ask (have had the car 5 years and never tried)..is it true the CD drive can accept DVDs and I can put a movie on ? Thanks

Yes, you can play a DVD but if you go above a certain speed, 5mph or so, it will stop playing. That's a safety feature.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

Yes, you can play a DVD but if you go above a certain speed, 5mph or so, it will stop playing. That's a safety feature.

Technically, only the video will stop playing. The audio will stay on. Useful if you are listening to DVD-Audio disks.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneS60 View Post
      This threads awesome.

Where is this button?

What about the flip up shopping panel in the rear boot (trunk) with the elastic band and hooks to secure shopping bags? I didn't even know it was there until 6 months after I bought the car. No more jars or loose onions rolling around the boot!
      It is the lower left button on the panel near the A/C and Defroster button

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneS60 View Post
      That was a dealer installed option in the US so most of us don't have it. 😞

I used to be on the Saab owners forum, but since I retired that car, I bought a 2015.5 Volvo S60 and I have discovered a few fun features, or commonly known as Easter Eggs.

1. In the S60 Sedan, if you use the actual key to lock the glovebox, it acts like a Valet. Locking the glove box disables the trunk function on the fob and the dash, so you can safely lock things in the trunk and someone else driving the car can't get into it, unless they have the physical key and unlock the glovebox.

2. If you hold down the > button on the steering wheel or dash, the radio will advance to the next station. Great for when you are traveling If you tap it, it just advances to your next pre-set station

Feel free to add other features you have discovered.
      Great thread.

Wish it'd been created last year. Didn't know about the whole locking glove box and valet mode. Just popped out key from Keyfob and tested ONLY FOB in the car (minus key) and it works fine.

So basically, you can simply hand someone the Fob itself, key removed, and they cannot access the glove box or trunk. Would have come in handy last year when I had to use the local dealer's body shop. Had a problem with some of their work, and the morons pillaged about $15 in quarters from my glove box. Left me a quarter (gee thanks). Forgot to take my change out.

This would have come in handy back then.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 05-17-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Following up on #2 above, if you are streaming Youtube through Bluetooth, pressing the >> button will go to the next video if one is available.

Another thing, if you try to pop the trunk or gas door while car is moving it will not allow you.
      First time I hit the trunk while moving (was aiming for the fog lights on a rain day) I about crapped my pants. Only to see the trunk had a safety feature that prevented opening.

For us in a 15.5....We aren't lucky to have the key fob with remote start. Must pay to use a feature that's included on the vehicle, which to this day pisses me off. Cause I'm not keen on paying to use a feature that came with my vehicle. Volvo should have included a Key Fob with this feature and then as an added bonus, allowed for more accessibility through their subscription plan.

12 months: $200
      18 months: $250
      30 months: $390
      42 months: $500
      54 months: $600

VOC's subscription is pretty annoying. That said, I just skip fast food a couple times a month to make up the difference.

Did you guys know that the navigation system has a 3D mode in the settings?

True, it's all about cutting back these days...bills...bills...VOC hands in owners' cookie jars

One thing I also enjoy is the ability to dial a phone number albeit with the tiny numbered telephone numerical keypad which has encouraged me to memorize loved ones cell phone numbers rather than depend on speed dial on the dumbphone..aka smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by RtDK View Post
      VOC's subscription is pretty annoying. That said, I just skip fast food a couple times a month to make up the difference.

Did you guys know that the navigation system has a 3D mode in the settings?
      VOC is beyond annoying....My car cost 30+K. The least Volvo could do is not nickle and dime me to death. Seriously am pissed cause I really want remote start to work during the winter.

I prefer north up. 3D mode proved to be a pain in the ass driving in Chicago and other big cities. North up is better.

Here's one that came up in another thread so I don't know if all you guys have seen it:
      If a door does not lock (actuator acting up) you can lock it manually by opening the door and looking on the side. There is a hole in the metal where you can see a round BLACK plastic piece that looks like a flat head screw. Take your key blade out and insert it in slot and turn (counterclockwise I think) till you hear/feel a click. That's less than a half turn and it's all you need so don't force it more. Shut the door and it will be locked.

How do you know if a door didn't lock?
      If you have it setup in Sensus to give you 2 blinker flashes at lock that flashing won't happen if one or more doors did not lock.

For cars with Volvo On Call capabilities you can now ask siri about your cars status. For example, you can ask if your cars locked or ask how much gas you have.

Actually my wife locked our V60 CC once with the button on the tailgate - which I did not know was possible...
      2017 V60 CC

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast