2020 S90 - Will it still come from China, or revert to Sweden?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2020 S90 - Will it still come from China, or revert to Sweden?

Is there any confirmation that the 2020 S90 will still be the LWB from China? I like our 2017 SWB from Sweden, though there have been a few minor issues around quality and refinement. But at the price we paid, nothing comes close to a mix of safety, style, comfort, features and performance. I find the 2018/2019 LWB cars to be excessively long, and the SWB just right as a family car with tall teenagers.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I dono i Love my 2018 s90 so much room me being 6.1 can fit front and back so easy
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Unless the tariffs hit it hard, it will stay

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Not sure, but the 10% tariff was enough for Volvo to reduce SO imports to a trickle, and shut-off S60 exports to China, from SC entirely. So 25% is going to do some damage, or some serious manufacturing and shipping realignment.

Quote Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
      Unless the tariffs hit it hard, it will stay
      It has already hit hard, look at the sales numbers vs. LY and you shall see, and the EBITA ratio has also declined significantly in the last quarter. If it makes financial sense to reshuffle the manufacturing site, it may make sense to build it in the US for the American market.

Here is a 2020 - https://www.dealerrater.com/classifi...22MT1LP148466/

https://www.crestcars.com/new/Volvo/...4fb50818c3.htm

So still China production? ARe they going to the SWB car again?

I think even the S90 sold in Europe is transported from China factory. It is the only one factory making S90.

So maybe a few LWB will still be imported to US, but just minimum to keep the car alive. Seems not profitable after tariff.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

I doubt it. While the S90 is an awesome car, the US market as a whole doesn't care about large sedans and China loves them. Not enough volume in the US to justify opening a new plant for the S90. From a marketing point, I'd much rather have the S40 here for sale than the S90.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmac View Post
      Is there any confirmation that the 2020 S90 will still be the LWB from China? I like our 2017 SWB from Sweden, though there have been a few minor issues around quality and refinement. But at the price we paid, nothing comes close to a mix of safety, style, comfort, features and performance. I find the 2018/2019 LWB cars to be excessively long, and the SWB just right as a family car with tall teenagers.
      I have not heard anyone suggest that this is about to change before now. I wouldn't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I think even the S90 sold in Europe is transported from China factory. It is the only one factory making S90.

So maybe a few LWB will still be imported to US, but just minimum to keep the car alive. Seems not profitable after tariff.
      This is not my understanding at all.

My understanding is that initial S90 production until 2018 was all in Torslanda near Gothenburg in Sweden.

Starting with MY2019, US and China S90 production moved to China. This is why we got the long wheelbase starting in 2018, because in China you are either poor or you have a Chauffeur, so they wanted the long wheelbase version.

The short wheelbase version continued to be manufactured in Torslanda for the European market only.

Unless they want to try to circumvent tariffs, I don't see this changing. There is no way they are going to build the S90 in SC. The U.S. market only wants stupid SUV's now. Way too little demand for cars, especially large ones like the S90.

The best we can hope for is to get the Euroepan short wheelbase model made in Torslanda. This could technically happen in order to circumvent tariffs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Guys I own a 2018 S90 T8 and it was produced in China. It has been a great car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I have not heard anyone suggest that this is about to change before now. I wouldn't count on it.

This is not my understanding at all.

My understanding is that initial S90 production until 2018 was all in Torslanda near Gothenburg in Sweden.

Starting with MY2019, US and China S90 production moved to China. This is why we got the long wheelbase starting in 2018, because in China you are either poor or you have a Chauffeur, so they wanted the long wheelbase version.

The short wheelbase version continued to be manufactured in Torslanda for the European market only.

Unless they want to try to circumvent tariffs, I don't see this changing. There is no way they are going to build the S90 in SC. The U.S. market only wants stupid SUV's now. Way too little demand for cars, especially large ones like the S90.

The best we can hope for is to get the Euroepan short wheelbase model made in Torslanda. This could technically happen in order to circumvent tariffs, but I wouldn't count on it.
      Based on this press release and report:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ing-rail-link4

https://www.motor1.com/news/146967/v...na-production/

very soon all S90 models will be manufactured exclusively in its Daqing factory with global export.

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 11-01-2019 at 10:01 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Based on this press release and report:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ing-rail-link4

https://www.motor1.com/news/146967/v...na-production/

very soon all S90 models will be manufactured exclusively in its Daqing factory with global export.

it is a news from 2017. Passed 2 years and no action has been taken so far as I can see.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements