May 2019 Software update changes - Page 10
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Looks like the newly released electric XC40 is the first Volvo (not Polestar) branded car to get the new Android based infotainment system. So maybe the rest of us can expect it as part of the November update...or they'll let the EV XC40s be the beta testers and then do a wider release as part of the May 2020 update.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...d-infotainment
      I would be throughly surprised if Volvo made available the new Android Auto as a replacement for Sensus on existing SPA vehicles.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I would be throughly surprised if Volvo made available the new Android Auto as a replacement for Sensus on existing SPA vehicles.
      It will have to require hardware module upgrade I think. And the car deserves a faster module. I hope they offer the new module to old cars and we can buy...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Why? They've said that's the plan since the project started 2 years ago. Also saves them from having to warranty and train on two different platforms.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Why? They've said that's the plan since the project started 2 years ago. Also saves them from having to warranty and train on two different platforms.
      I don't remember see they said this (back porting to old models), as far as I read, they only said CMA first, and SPA new models ahead.

Also, the new EV XC40s will get all of its system updates OTA.

Fingers crossed for November.

Also, the new EV XC40s will get all of its system updates OTA.

Fingers crossed for November.
      Just quote the press release, OTA includes "software and OS". So it could be everything you see on the big screen and driver display. But for other control modules like TEM, etc, am not sure. Of course there is no ECM in a EV, but still some firmware to control power delivery, braking, and Pilot Assist etc. Hopefully all can be done via OTA update.

You are deluded if you think Android sensus is coming to older cars.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      You are deluded if you think Android sensus is coming to older cars.

But they can offer new hardware module for old cars with a price, and get revenue from it. A lot people will be glad to pay $1-2k for it.

The hardware cost could be around only $300 I think. But a lot of time is needed to make sure it works on different models/trims/configuration correctly.

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 10-09-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      But they can offer new hardware module for old cars with a price, and get revenue from it. A lot people will be glad to pay $1-2k for it.

No, they wont. They will plug in their android auto or carplay and go on with life.

2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

No, they wont. They will plug in their android auto or carplay and go on with life.

Sheesh I will.

The hardware cost could be around only $300 I think. But a lot of time is needed to make sure it works on different models/trims/configuration correctly.

It doesn't require new hardware. The original specs were for it to run on existing hardware. That's what was demonstrated 2 years ago, a year ago, and by the looks of it, is what is in the EV xc40. "Android Sensus" should be equal to, if not less processor hungry, than the kludgy in-house software.

AA and a native platform are not the same thing, but if AA is good enough for you, then enjoy.

A Hahaha, you think a software demo is indicative of real world usage/performance? You really are deluded. I mean ****, they just ****ed over existing T8 owners on the polestar tune of which there are no technical barriers, you really think they are going to go to the trouble of retrofitting systems not designed for it?

2006 Passion Red S60R

A Hahaha, you think a software demo is indicative of real world usage/performance? You really are deluded. I mean ****, they just ****ed over existing T8 owners on the polestar tune of which there are no technical barriers, you really think they are going to go to the trouble of retrofitting systems not designed for it?

This is awesome exactly what I think. No Polestar, no Android Auto. Enjoy what you have.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

You're making A LOT of assumptions here. What's your inside scoop on them not being the same?

I can say, with certainty, that the hardware used to DEVELOP what will be in the EV XC40 was an off the shelf unit. That the instructed parameters were to make it work with the existing processing power. To the extent that I know, and that my contact knows, that's still the case. This person was also told, about a year ago now, that the intent was to roll it out more broadly for "the existing fleet".

I'll also go back to Volvo's change on dealer based SW updates, as still pointing to this being the route they're taking.

Volvo corp, or Volvo Cars USA, could have changed tack in that time of course.

But please, go on with what you believe. Thanks.

I don't think they still use a CPU as slow as in 2015. 5 years is long time for processor generations. They couldn't even source the chip any more. And we all know the CPU on XC40 and S60 is faster than older cars.

So it runs well on hardware today doesn't mean it runs same on 5 year old processor. It may still run, but could be sluggish and have weird problem, just like your old Android phone flashed with the latest Android OS.

And it is actually good timing to get faster hardware after 5 years on our long lasting solid cars. I will want CPU upgrade down the road anyways. Can't imagine run the old computer on wheels for 10 to 20 years.

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 10-09-2019 at 09:07 PM.

I don't think they still use a CPU as slow as in 2015. 5 years is long time for processor generations. They couldn't even source the chip any more. And we all know the CPU on XC40 and S60 is faster than older cars.

So it runs well on hardware today doesn't mean it runs same on 5 year old processor. It may still run, but could be sluggish and have weird problem, just like your old Android phone flashed with the latest Android OS.

And it is actually good timing to get faster hardware after 5 years on our long lasting solid cars. I will want CPU upgrade down the road anyways. Can't imagine run the old computer on wheels for 10 to 20 years.

They don't. The IHUs were upgraded for the 2018MY, I think (so manufacturing started in 2017). That off the shelf unit was one of those newer ones at the time.

They don't. The IHUs were upgraded for the 2018MY, I think (so manufacturing started in 2017). That off the shelf unit was one of those newer ones at the time.
      So still, no luck for MY2016-2017 cars.

So still, no luck for MY2016-2017 cars.

Maybe, maybe not. All depends on how the new OS performs and how resource hungry it is versus the existing OS. As EVERYONE that starts their SPA Volvo up in the morning knows, the current Sensus OS is a dog. Especially if you have all the available apps downloaded.

Maybe, maybe not. All depends on how the new OS performs and how resource hungry it is versus the existing OS. As EVERYONE that starts their SPA Volvo up in the morning knows, the current Sensus OS is a dog. Especially if you have all the available apps downloaded.
      Ugh yea, get your temperature adjustment in in the first 5 seconds or you're locked out for a minute.
      2006 XC70 75k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 64k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 5k - Grey/Black
      2020 V90CC 50 - Osmium Gray/Maroon Brown
      Previous: 1997 Dodge Intrepid | 2002 Saturn | 2009 Jetta | 2011 Mazda3 | 2011 Outback | 1993 Miata | 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2010 Odyssey | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2019 BMW 440i | 2018 V90CC

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Perfect. Thank you for the advice, Tech! I'll have the Dealer take a look at it and ask him to check the Battery current/charge history through Vida and root cause this issue.
      UPDATE: So from the past couple of days, my start/stop had again stopped working. So I went ahead with my appointment and just dropped off my V90CC at the Dealership and drove back in a brand new MY20 S60 T6 loaner.

Hardly an hour has passed since dropping off the vehicle and the SA just called me back saying that they have diagnosed it to be a faulty MAIN battery and not the SUPPORT (start/stop) battery. He says the cells are not holding the charge. He has already placed an order for a new MAIN battery but they are on backorder and might take till the end of the week to get it replaced. He is also gonna ask the Technician to look into the support battery and replace that as well if needed.

I was under the impression that the MAIN battery is for cranking the Engine and supporting the Air Conditioning, Sensus, etc and the SUPPORT battery was purely for the start/stop function. I never ever had issues cranking the Engine and hence never suspected the MAIN battery to be the culprit! Glad the dealership root-caused the issue so quickly.

Thank you @carz, @nbvolks, and @Tech for your advice and guidance. I'll keep this post updated as & when stuff happens.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

The SUPPORT battery is for Sensus etc. The main battery is for cranking at cold start and also stop/start.

The SUPPORT battery is for Sensus etc. The main battery is for cranking at cold start and also stop/start.

Aah. Ok. Now it all makes sense! I had it wrong in my head.

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Not entirely correct. If the support battery is bad start/stop WILL NOT work.

2006 Passion Red S60R

UPDATE: So from the past couple of days, my start/stop had again stopped working. So I went ahead with my appointment and just dropped off my V90CC at the Dealership and drove back in a brand new MY20 S60 T6 loaner.

Hardly an hour has passed since dropping off the vehicle and the SA just called me back saying that they have diagnosed it to be a faulty MAIN battery and not the SUPPORT (start/stop) battery. He says the cells are not holding the charge. He has already placed an order for a new MAIN battery but they are on backorder and might take till the end of the week to get it replaced. He is also gonna ask the Technician to look into the support battery and replace that as well if needed.

I was under the impression that the MAIN battery is for cranking the Engine and supporting the Air Conditioning, Sensus, etc and the SUPPORT battery was purely for the start/stop function. I never ever had issues cranking the Engine and hence never suspected the MAIN battery to be the culprit! Glad the dealership root-caused the issue so quickly.

Thank you @carz, @nbvolks, and @Tech for your advice and guidance. I'll keep this post updated as & when stuff happens.
      I took my 2016 Xc90 in today for the 40k service. I told the service advisor that my stop/start function rarely worked. The main battery was replaced under warranty and the start/stop function began working as it should.

Not entirely correct. If the support battery is bad start/stop WILL NOT work.

It is controlled by software after all, that does health checking before enabling start/stop. The support battery doesn't crank the engine. It is designed so.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

Quote Originally Posted by Dana60 View Post
      I took my 2016 Xc90 in today for the 40k service. I told the service advisor that my stop/start function rarely worked. The main battery was replaced under warranty and the start/stop function began working as it should.
      Did the car not have a warning suggesting a battery or start/stop malfunction?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana60 View Post
      Thank you, Dana, for sharing your experience. Mine's the exact same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      My V90CC has given 0 warnings/codes about the Main battery failing, except for the start/stop not working when it normally should. My car always started on the first crank with absolutely no signs of any battery degradation/damage. Probably, the start-stop failing to engage, when it probably should, is a sign of battery degradation.

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      I didn’t have a warning for either one of those issues.
      I actually did not mind that the start/stop function did not work but I was concerned that something else may be failing, causing it not to work.
      With my warranty nearing its end, I wanted it diagnosed before then.

My V90CC has given 0 warnings/codes about the Main battery failing, except for the start/stop not working when it normally should. My car always started on the first crank with absolutely no signs of any battery degradation/damage. Probably, the start-stop failing to engage, when it probably should, is a sign of battery degradation.
      FWIIW, both of my 2015.5 V60s had this exact same problem a few years ago. Despite several service visits, the SA refused to replace either battery under warranty, claiming that they tested OK and VCUSA would not reimburse them for the replacement batteries. I finally resolved the problem by replacing the service department with a closer one that was more responsive. They replaced both batteries in both V60s under warranty and the problem disappeared. The first dealership lost not only my service business but my subsequent new car business as well. Neither of my present SPA Volvos has experienced this issue, but I have the feeling that my current dealership would address the problem immediately and without argument, as they have several other minor ones in the past 2.5 years. The moral is to choose one's dealership as carefully as one's cars.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      The moral is to choose one's dealership as carefully as one's cars.
      I cannot agree more with this statement! It literally makes or breaks your premium-car ownership experience. Luckily, my local dealership has always exceeded my expectations.

I cannot agree more with this statement! It literally makes or breaks your premium-car ownership experience. Luckily, my local dealership has always exceeded my expectations.
      I should perhaps have added that the S/S battery issue with my two 2015.5 V60s was not the first problem I had had with my previous dealership's service department; it was simply the last straw in a long series of such problems. Despite having an excellent relationship with their sales department and having leased 8 cars from them since 2007, the service department treated me shabbily. In recent years, the ownership of that dealership has changed twice, there have been four service managers, and yet the service department problems seem to be endemic. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

No issues here. Went in for second service on my V90. Software update was complimentary.

Also replaced front rotors at no cost to me.
      2006 XC70 75k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 64k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 5k - Grey/Black
      2020 V90CC 50 - Osmium Gray/Maroon Brown
      Previous: 1997 Dodge Intrepid | 2002 Saturn | 2009 Jetta | 2011 Mazda3 | 2011 Outback | 1993 Miata | 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2010 Odyssey | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2019 BMW 440i | 2018 V90CC

Can someone from US confirm their XC90 T6 MY16 got this Start/Stop icon after May software update? It hasn't changed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusPe View Post
      Can someone from US confirm their XC90 T6 MY16 got this Start/Stop icon after May software update? It hasn't changed for me.

I'm arguing with the dealer for the same thing. They said they did the update but the symbol and the car smoothness didn't change.

I think they did not actually do it. Maybe they lie about it or they did one model only and they say we did the update. I don't trust dealers.

If Volvo said the symbol will change, there are no exceptions.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast