May 2019 Software update changes
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Volvo has finally answered dealership techs complaints of not knowing what software is actually doing.

Here are the May 2019 software update changes that you will receive during service or repair.

software update.jpg
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do they post these publicly, as well?

If you pay to have access to tech journals.... yes

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Volvo has finally answered dealership techs complaints of not knowing what software is actually doing.

Here are the May 2019 software update changes that you will receive during service or repair.

software update.jpg
      Aren't these the APRIL update details? I seem to recall seeing these last month. I was hoping for a more substantial May update, as we have had in previous years.
      2018 XC90 Inscription / Air Suspension / B & W / 21" OEM Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
      Aren't these the APRIL update details? I seem to recall seeing these last month. I was hoping for a more substantial May update, as we have had in previous years.
      These are indeed the April update details: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a801515970036d

Iím also hoping for a more substantial update in May, especially a fix for the data connection issue... according to my dealer Volvo is still ďworking on itĒ

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
      Current:
      S90 MY19
      Previous:
      Audi A5 Cabrio
      Audi A4

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Polestar8 View Post
      These are indeed the April update details: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a801515970036d

Iím also hoping for a more substantial update in May, especially a fix for the data connection issue... according to my dealer Volvo is still ďworking on itĒ

You're both wrong according to my documents from Volvo (see below), it is LABELED "MAY 2019 UPDATES".

sw.jpg

Applicable only for XC40

you don't have to pay for them if you know the right loopholes. At least not the older ones.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by MariusPe View Post
      Applicable only for XC40
      Indeed the info published in April seemed to indicate that. However, the last few weeks there were already several reports of these changes being implemented on 90-series nevertheless.

Current:
      S90 MY19
      Previous:
      Audi A5 Cabrio
      Audi A4

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      you don't have to pay for them if you know the right loopholes. At least not the older ones.
      What does the customer have to say to a dealer to get this under warranty? For example, I get the "software update" message at least once a week and there are no updates. Would that trigger them to install this update?

Indeed the info published in April seemed to indicate that. However, the last few weeks there were already several reports of these changes being implemented on 90-series nevertheless.

Anyone actually get this update on a XC90 yet?

Dropped mine off to service yesterday, may get it back today. Will report back if the update is available/applied to the XC90.
      2016 XC90 Momentum+ w/ Climate/HUD, Vision, & Convenience - Savile Gray & 20" Matte Tech Black Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Red View Post
      What does the customer have to say to a dealer to get this under warranty? For example, I get the "software update" message at least once a week and there are no updates. Would that trigger them to install this update?

Usually that message applies to maps or apps... not vehicle software as in total upgrade/software 2.0.

They should be done every time you go in for a service.

If someone has the May 2019 Software update installed for their XC90 confirm if the following feature is available?

Improved feedback for Pilot Assist. Under certain conditions, the steering wheel vibrates slightly when Pilot Assist steering assistance is disconnected, adaptive cruise control remains active. The same vibration is used that Lane Keeping Aid uses when the vehicle is starting to veer over the lane markings.

I am wating to pick up my XC90 in few minutes.
      I specifically asked my dealer to install the May software updates and even gave him the sheet listing all updates from this post.
      I will check the updates in my way back and let everybody know.

Edited:

I just came from the dealer and I can confirm the following:

- the Start/Stop icon appears now on the thacomehter. See attached picture;
      - the lane keeping feature in my opinion works much more better. The steering wheel vibrates more pronounced when crossing the line but also the steering wheel is turning more responsive;
      - the way I perceived it is that the AutoPilot handles the curves betters now at high speed. I was driving with 120km/h and it turned the curves more responsive without crossing the lane and the curve was quite steep.
      - when pilot assistant is disengaged the steering-wheel do not vibrate and the dynamic cruise-control do not remain on, it disengaging as well.

See the Start/Stop sign between 0 and 1 on tachometer.

Last edited by narcisgeorgescu; 05-22-2019 at 11:35 AM.
      2015.5 XC60 Premier Plus, Polestar, bi-xenon, Tech+Blis Packages, Nav. w/Sensus Connect, Cristal White, 20"Titania Wheels, Integrated Running Bords, Thule Cross Bars, Auto Dimming Side Mirrors, Sport Seats, Dual tone heated steering wheel with paddle shift.

2018 XC90 T6 Inscription AWD, Polestar, Cristal White, Vision, Convenience, Climate/HUD, Protection Packages, B&W, 4-C Air Suspension, 21" Optional Factory Wheels, Iliminated Runing Boards, Skid Plate Front, Front Decor Frame,Thule Cross Bars, Load Opening Strip with Ilumination, Mud Flaps

Quote Originally Posted by narcisgeorgescu View Post
      I specifically asked my dealer to install the May software updates and even gave him the sheet listing all updates from this post.
      DO NOT bring print outs from the internet to your dealer.... most annoying thing in the world,.

DO NOT bring print outs from the internet to your dealer.... most annoying thing in the world,.
      No nearly as annoying as the dealer being clueless.
      Current:
      2019 XC90 T6 R-Design

Past:
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2012 C70 T5 Inscription
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 XC90 T6
      1999 V70R T5

Quote Originally Posted by jjd416 View Post
      Truth. I’ve had to educate my dealer’s service department on numerous things over the last 3 years of ownership.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription (OSD March 2016) Electric Silver/Charcoal, Matte Tech Black 234 Wheels, Convenience, Vision, Polestar, Intellisafe Upgrade (PA2)
      2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
      1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition 32/50

Quote Originally Posted by jjd416 View Post
      Agreed. Iím headed in next week to get the recalled lift gate shocks replaced on my Ď16 (Iíve yet to have an issue) and Iíve saved a copy of the software update in my phone just in case. Iíve had very good experiences with this service department the couple times Iíve been in since I took delivery but I like to have something to reference just in case.

Yes . I agree with you, and it is noting wrong to show it to the dealer. They usually, like you said in the post, they have no ideas of the details.

In fact my dealer likes it because they always get quicker informed by our forum than Volvo Canada.
      2015.5 XC60 Premier Plus, Polestar, bi-xenon, Tech+Blis Packages, Nav. w/Sensus Connect, Cristal White, 20"Titania Wheels, Integrated Running Bords, Thule Cross Bars, Auto Dimming Side Mirrors, Sport Seats, Dual tone heated steering wheel with paddle shift.

2018 XC90 T6 Inscription AWD, Polestar, Cristal White, Vision, Convenience, Climate/HUD, Protection Packages, B&W, 4-C Air Suspension, 21" Optional Factory Wheels, Iliminated Runing Boards, Skid Plate Front, Front Decor Frame,Thule Cross Bars, Load Opening Strip with Ilumination, Mud Flaps

You guys may think it is great but any dealership with tech's that know what they're doing laugh at customer's bringing paperwork in. More times than not the TJ's customers bring me dont even pertain to their vehicle.

I will stop posting updates on here if people are going to bring them to the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by XC90TODD View Post
      Truth. Iíve had to educate my dealerís service department on numerous things over the last 3 years of ownership.
      Your SA might just be polite or could be ignorant (usually ignorant) but when the car gets in the shop, the tech should and would not need your paperwork if they do their job properly.

I am sorry but that will show no solidarity of you with this forum.

This forum is made to please us (the customer) and dealer as well, must do whatever they can to satisfy our needs. We invested our money on their cars and you know the money are not a few.

I am not sure why this is funny to them ( Volvo tech) because many times I am asking the tech questions and they simply donít know.
      After showing them facts and pertinent info than the start digging the system to come up with solutions.

You are probably a knowledgeable person within your dealer tech team but thatís not always the case with some of our dealers.
      Last edited by narcisgeorgescu; 05-22-2019 at 04:42 PM.

You guys may think it is great but any dealership with tech's that know what they're doing laugh at customer's bringing paperwork in. More times than not the TJ's customers bring me dont even pertain to their vehicle.

I will stop posting updates on here if people are going to bring them to the dealership.

Your SA might just be polite or could be ignorant (usually ignorant) but when the car gets in the shop, the tech should and would not need your paperwork if they do their job properly.
      I totally get where you are coming from, no one wants to be told how to do what they do every day by someone who doesnít do it at all. However, clearly there are instances where customers are aware of things through research that techs simply arenít up on yet, forget to mention, etc... it happens.

Perfect example in this very thread of someone who took their vehicle in recently and didnít get this software update. I donít think it is unreasonable to have something in your pocket to backup an inquiry/request you are making.

Also, thank you for the updates. Having someone who is knowledgeable ďon the insideĒ is a tremendous value add to this forum. Please donít take anyone trying to ensure they are getting what they are entitled to as a shot at you or other techs.

My comments were not meant to you.

The information you provided to us in this forum was very valuable and it helped me to validate that the updates were actually made, when I took the car back.

Yes, when I requested the May software update (through my email to service manager) I attached this info however, I didnít show it to the technician, I didnít even seen the tech today.

There were situations though when the info I had it helped the tech to get the work done quicker.

Gunshow, when you connect a SPA car to VIDA, does it alert you if there are open recalls/TJ's or software elements that the car needs or do you have to go research it within the software?
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Well, I can tell you I took in my TJ and the dealer proceeded to do everything but that and ignore it.....but guess what, the solution was the TJ. So they can be annoyed or whatever the ****, but most of the time I know more than the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Edited:

- the lane keeping feature in my opinion works much more better. The steering wheel vibrates more pronounced when crossing the line but also the steering wheel is turning more responsive;
      - the way I perceived it is that the AutoPilot handles the curves betters now at high speed. I was driving with 120km/h and it turned the curves more responsive without crossing the lane and the curve was quite steep.
      - when pilot assistant is disengaged the steering-wheel do not vibrate and the dynamic cruise-control do not remain on, it disengaging as well.

Curious to see more reports if PA curve handling is better now.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

You are probably a knowledgeable person within your dealer tech team but thatís not always the case with some of our dealers.
      15 years of experience and reading DAILY the tech journals as well as cruising this forum help me stay on top of my game BUT i rarely see anything on here that I dont already know or heard of from other techs around the country.

Unfortunately, other techs around the country are just there to make a paycheck and do not invest in their career choice by studying because "we dont get paid to study". Majority of techs also dont enjoy speaking to customers for whatever reasons they have but I enjoy conversing with the owners and put to bed any concerns they have.
      Last edited by gunshow; 05-23-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Gunshow, when you connect a SPA car to VIDA, does it alert you if there are open recalls/TJ's or software elements that the car needs or do you have to go research it within the software?
      We get an automatic pop up during the read out as well as an alert icon next to the VIN number in VIDA. So if the SA does not run the VIN in the warranty/recall system, we catch it on the back side and yell at them.

15 years of experience and reading DAILY the tech journals as well as cruising this forum help me stay on top of my game BUT i rarely see anything on here that I dont already know or heard of from other techs around the country.

Unfortunately, other techs around the country are just there to make a paycheck and do not invest in their career choice by studying because "we dont get paid to study". Majority of techs also dont enjoy speaking to customers for whatever reasons they have but I enjoy conversing with the owners and put to bed any concerns they have.
      Yes, you are correct. You put passion in what you do and this matter. The customers can feel it. I admire you for this.

Edited:

Can confirm the same is true for the XC60. Including the vibrating steering wheel when PA disengages.

Had mine in yesterday for the 10k mile service, and the tailgate recall.

Of additional note, the "dynamic" mode in my P* T6 now shows as "Polestar" rather than "Dynamic" in the digital dash (though not the driving mode screen).

Look forward to testing out PA to see if anything has changed in terms of steering behavior under PA. Will be sure to report back.
      Last edited by shammyh; 05-23-2019 at 11:57 AM.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Yes, you are correct. You put passion in what you do and this matter. The customers can feel it. I admire you for this.
      Maybe I need to put a disclaimer in my signature that says "im passionate not an a$$hole"...

Maybe I need to put a disclaimer in my signature that says "im passionate not an a$$hole"...
      Not a passionate Ahole? :-)

J/K

Seriously though, I hope you continue to contribute to the forum... I find your posts valuable.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by sconnors11 View Post
      Not a passionate Ahole? :-)

J/K

Seriously though, I hope you continue to contribute to the forum... I find your posts valuable.
      +1 thanks gunshow
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

When you look back to the introduction 2016 model year and all the stuff that has changed on our cars, my sense is that we are nearing the end of significant software updates. There maybe some upgrades as was the case with Intellisafe that came with the 2019 and 2018 (partial). I kind of wonder about the new LED Headlights, though I have heard that in addition to the new headlight we lack some other needed hardware? I would suspect that would come on the new 2022 XC90 and not be a retrofit to older cars. Aren't the updates just mostly fixes with a spattering of some new stuff? In the past with other cars, the most I would look forward to were updated Navigation software which tended to be expensive.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Or if you go to Volvoís public Customer Help/support website (free) and search for what the latest updates have. Hereís a sample of what the Spring 2018 update. Gets into similar detail as the tech journal:

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answe...il/a_id/10173/
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast