Anyone use Car Shield or any other car repair insurance service?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone use Car Shield or any other car repair insurance service?

I know these cars can be finicky and often cost a lot to repair so I've been wondering about services such as Car Shield which are like insurance for car repairs. Anyone use this service or another one? I called today to get a quote for my 2004 V70R which has 119k miles and it's about $100 a month and covers all powertrain and driveline items (but not the suspension sadly) with a $100 deductible for repairs. What's your opinion on it?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For old car it is not worthy. It is $1.2k a year that you usually don't spend that much on repair unless you expect some difficult engine or transmission problem.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 05-23-2019 at 12:37 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

There can be a lot of critical fine print in aftermarket warranties that leave loopholes for the company to wiggle out of a repair.

Example: I once worked on an XC60 with just over 100k miles that had the new Drive-e T5 engine in it. The customer's complaint was "Low oil pressure light comes on while driving". Long story short is the engine was consuming oil to the point it had only 1.5 quarts in it when it came to me 6000 miles after its last oil change. I provided technical journals indicating this car and engine were within the VIN and engine serial number range to have new pistons put in it for oil consumption. The warranty company refused the repair because after I had drained the 1.5 quarts of oil out of the engine, I put 6 quarts back in it to start it and park it outside until the warranty inspector could see the car days later. With the proper oil level, the engine no longer rattled on engine start and the low oil pressure light didn't come on. The inspector said all the engine needed was an oil change.

Some are very good though (Volvo CPO & VIP).
      2007 S40 T5

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had a claim denied due to a classic warranty worm-out word called 'corrosion' last year for the poorly engineered remote entry system; wrote Volvo of North America and they good-willed the repair, so all was well.
      Warranty was purchased through a Volvo dealer. No good reason why I keep giving these slimy warranty companies money...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

With car repair insurance, the wording is everything. Coverage for engine and drivetrain sounds pretty good, but it leaves out the electronic control modules that are connected to and control various systems, like ventilation, heat, air conditioning, exterior lights, interior lights, vehicle alarm, door locks, and on and on....For me, I tend to avoid these policies because I like to choose the repair shop myself.

Yeah, I've been reading through the contract and it all seems pretty unlikely that anything that needs to be fixed will actually be covered. Thanks for all the opinions.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements