water on leather seats
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

water on leather seats

Hi,

It rained last night and I forgot to close my driver and passenger windows completely. As a result, my two front seats were pretty wet but I dried them off paper towels and a rag. Nevertheless, the seats were probably wet for at least four or five hours. At first it appeared that there might be little or no damage but later I started to notice these sections were getting stiff and wrinkled, which does not look great.
      Is there anything I can do to bring back those areas of leather so it blends a little better?

Thanks
      John

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think you would just treat them with a good quality leather conditioner, like Lexol or the one I use now, Fiebings Four Way Care. I would put the stuff on pretty heavy so that the product soaks into the leather - preferably on a warm day with the interior nice and hot - then wipe off any excess after it's been on there for a few hours or overnight ideally. First thing though is to get the seats and carpeting and for that matter anything that got wet in the car completely dry as soon as possible.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Thanks for that information! I am looking into it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jandy48 View Post
      Hi,

It rained last night and I forgot to close my driver and passenger windows completely. As a result, my two front seats were pretty wet but I dried them off paper towels and a rag. Nevertheless, the seats were probably wet for at least four or five hours. At first it appeared that there might be little or no damage but later I started to notice these sections were getting stiff and wrinkled, which does not look great.
      Is there anything I can do to bring back those areas of leather so it blends a little better?

Thanks
      John
      Curious, did you feel under the seats to see if the water seeped into the foam padding at all? This would be another big worry, because it could create a moldy/ mildew environment. Per Wayne's advice, try a leather conditioner and cleaner on the exterior leather shell.

Did the floor or anything else in the car get soaked / saturated? Water is a very bad thing to have enter the vehicle in large volume because it can corrode electrical wires, saturating padding (Floor & Seats) and allow for mold / mildew to grow, etc.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 05-27-2019 at 08:37 AM.

I did feel under the seats. It was a little damp but not soaking. I have taken out the floor mattes and have kept the car doors open in my driveway through the past two days. We have had perfect warm weather with low humidity and a nice breeze so this has helped dry things out.
      I will try to stay on top of this as mold is not something I want either.
      Thanks
      John

Quote Originally Posted by jandy48 View Post
      I did feel under the seats. It was a little damp but not soaking. I have taken out the floor mattes and have kept the car doors open in my driveway through the past two days. We have had perfect warm weather with low humidity and a nice breeze so this has helped dry things out.
      I will try to stay on top of this as mold is not something I want either.
      Thanks
      John
      Quantify a little damp if you don't mind? Are you talking like a misty wet or actual damp wet? The padding can act as a sponge and hide large amounts of moisture. Also a lot of wiring is housed under the seats.

If the carpets are truly dam, I suggest using a wet vac to suck up as much moisture as possible. If you are confident in your abilities, you might wish to remove the carpeting to let it fully dry out properly. One of the main concerns is that simple air drying won't pull away the water from the padding.

Just food for thought.

Right now if I place my hand directly on to the carpet with the protective rugs removed it feels pretty close to dry. We are having lots of cool rainy weather so everything feels cooler making it hard to say for certain everything is completely dry. I am aware of the wires housed under the seats and will have my Volvo mechanic check it out in a few days. I also purchase Lexol leather conditioner and will use it on a areas of the passenger seat tomorrow as the weather will be sunny and warm.
      Thanks for all help.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements