April/May 2019 Software Update
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

April/May 2019 Software Update

Just finished getting the April/May? update to my V90CC - while the software update page says April, this update didn't become available to the 90 and 60 series cars until about 2 weeks ago...it originally had a disclaimer calling out that it only applied to the XC40.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...a801515970036d

That said, excited to see the "Polestar Engineered" call out in the centre and drivers displays.

Only thing that I was hoping would go away was the box that asks if you still want to connect your phone every time you try to connect to CarPlay...so not entirely sure what "Simplified start-up after an iPhone has been connected" means has changed? And of course, the oft-asked for auto/remembered disabling of Start/Stop on '17/'18 model years...I'll keep dreaming

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can the update be done online or do I have to see the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by 916sp View Post
      Can the update be done online or do I have to see the dealer?
      I have posted about this on the XC40 and XC90 SPA forums. DEALER ONLY
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Blackcomb —

What’s up with the polestar suspension setting? I assume you have the factory airbag suspension?

Wondering because there are no lowering options for my R Design due to the 4C/airbags. And my ass is always high in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by mpdbrown View Post
      Blackcomb ó

Whatís up with the polestar suspension setting? I assume you have the factory airbag suspension?

Wondering because there are no lowering options for my R Design due to the 4C/airbags. And my ass is always high in the air.
      "Polestar" just replaced the word "Dynamic" for those settings.

Also, I've not seen a V90 R-Design that wasn't level, so that might be something you want to get checked/serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      "Polestar" just replaced the word "Dynamic" for those settings.

Also, I've not seen a V90 R-Design that wasn't level, so that might be something you want to get checked/serviced.
      nbvolks -

seems like the cars with air suspension sit higher than those without. it drops when in dynamic but doesn't achieve the same low height as a car with standard suspension.

so the question is, is polestar lower than dynamic?

Quote Originally Posted by mpdbrown View Post
      nbvolks -

seems like the cars with air suspension sit higher than those without. it drops when in dynamic but doesn't achieve the same low height as a car with standard suspension.

so the question is, is polestar lower than dynamic?
      No, "Polestar" is really just a find and replace of "Dynamic" if the car has the Polestar Tune.

Interesting on the air suspension bit. There were about 4 different V90s at a dealer here a while back and I went to look at them, 3 with air suspension, 1 without. They all sat exactly the same way, dead level.

I believe the air suspension is supposed to be leveled and adjusted. There's an air tank just behind the exhaust resonator (the big exhaust box under the car), and I think that's supposed to be checked after delivery/shipping, to be within a certain spec. I think if that's not done, the normal state is the system is over pressurized (for shipping, like the tires), and would result in an uneven ride height.

Gunshow could probably explain if that's the case, and what goes into the dealer prep upon delivery. Though maybe that and the tires are done at port prep?

great info -- i will inquire at my next service!

The rear air suspension is just self leveling. The rear suspension will rise or fall to meet the current height of the front, which is not height adjustable and is entirely dependent upon the load.

This may result in the rear of the car sitting higher or lower with the air suspension, but the different drive modes do not necessarily affect the default height. They do seem to affect the adjustment rate.

Off-road is the exception. It tends to lift the rear to give better clearance and departure/break-over angles.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      The rear air suspension is just self leveling. The rear suspension will rise or fall to meet the current height of the front, which is not height adjustable and is entirely dependent upon the load.

This may result in the rear of the car sitting higher or lower with the air suspension, but the different drive modes do not necessarily affect the default height. They do seem to affect the adjustment rate.

Off-road is the exception. It tends to lift the rear to give better clearance and departure/break-over angles.
      I only feel the need for rear air suspension twice a year, when I travel to upstate New York and come back with 10-12 cases of wine in the cargo area. I can really feel the rear end sag with each additional case or two.
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Current: 2017 S90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Blonde, Inscription, Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Spoiler, 20" Rims
      Past: 2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

I love it every day, because when I go over a bump the suspension gently catches the rear of the car with no oscillation/bouncing sensation to follow - even on the worst bumps.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Really interesting,
      I got the software update over the weekend. I have a '18 V90CC with the Polestar tune and the air suspension option in the rear.

My software shows Polestar word under the gear indicator in the tach, but nowhere else...

I'm curious to know if I didn't get all the modules updated, or just a partial update.
      My start/stop/ready icon certainly shows it has the new version.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Dunlapjc; 06-10-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Adding more detail
      1995 Volvo 850 T-5R (Black)
      2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar (Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlapjc View Post
      Really interesting,
      I got the software update over the weekend. I have a '18 V90CC with the Polestar tune and the air suspension option in the rear.

My software shows Polestar word under the gear indicator in the tach, but nowhere else...

I'm curious to know if I didn't get all the modules updated, or just a partial update.

IS the order of the drive settings configurable? On mine, "Off-Road" is at the bottom.

I canít see how to change their order at all in any screen or menu...

I canít see how to change their order at all in any screen or menu...

Err, might be different for polestar vs non polestar

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, Mine has polestar as well.
      just canít figure out why my model Ď2018 V90cc with polestar and air suspension would look different than the first post in this thread.

Model year 2019 and 2020 has the updated text in the center display and cluster.

Model year 2016-2018 only changed the text in the cluster. A future update will change it in the center display.

Yeah, Mine has polestar as well.
      just canít figure out why my model Ď2018 V90cc with polestar and air suspension would look different than the first post in this thread.

Edit: Nevermind. See Tech's post above.

They probably rolled it back. They release updates to the updates very frequently and they are basically a constant work in progress.

If I had to guess, someone said "Why is there no description under Polestar Engineered?" and they rolled it back until they fix it and put one in. Or maybe it wasn't supposed to be pushed yet and was by accident.

They did this with the last spring update, where they added in the Intellisafe splash screen on startup, then took it out. Some people got the update before they pulled it, so they had the check that wasn't actually working right. People who got it a week or so later didn't get the check at all. Then I got the check a few months later when it was added back in.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Edit: Nevermind. See Tech's post above.

They probably rolled it back. They release updates to the updates very frequently and they are basically a constant work in progress.

If I had to guess, someone said "Why is there no description under Polestar Engineered?" and they rolled it back until they fix it and put one in. Or maybe it wasn't supposed to be pushed yet and was by accident.

They did this with the last spring update, where they added in the Intellisafe splash screen on startup, then took it out. Some people got the update before they pulled it, so they had the check that wasn't actually working right. People who got it a week or so later didn't get the check at all. Then I got the check a few months later when it was added back in.
      I think you're right Matt! I have a 2018 V90CC so your point about it maybe being pulled is a possibility.

The other possibility is that the center screen call out to polestar could be linked to the Polestar Update that was released in March including RWD Torque Bias for our model year?

I know that the Service Tech's system is supposed to update all modules when plugging in during a service, but given how each time I've gone in, I've had to educate the service department on the updates (Polestar included) that they "had no idea of"...it wouldn't surprise me.

When we plug in, if there are any updates, they are all lumped under one software part number. We don't individually update all modules. We download the one part number and it updates any modules that have updates available. The difference in displays was explained above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      When we plug in, if there are any updates......
      Tech - is there a somewhat regular frequency to updates?...wondering b/c in another 3k miles, i will hit 20k -- and go in for that service...at that time, i'll get whatever system update is avail...but that could take another few months or so...but with the recent Apr/May software release, it looks like some good stuff that i could benefit now with...i'd be willing to pay for the update prior to my 20k...secondly does volvo ever give out more details to the "engine optimizations" and what exactly has changed?

Quote Originally Posted by hackR View Post
      Tech - is there a somewhat regular frequency to updates?...wondering b/c in another 3k miles, i will hit 20k -- and go in for that service...at that time, i'll get whatever system update is avail...but that could take another few months or so...but with the recent Apr/May software release, it looks like some good stuff that i could benefit now with...i'd be willing to pay for the update prior to my 20k...secondly does volvo ever give out more details to the "engine optimizations" and what exactly has changed?
      The "major" updates are supposed to be bi-annual (usually around May and November). These are the ones Volvo publishes the list of various things you'll notice different. However, there are certainly updates to various modules between those.

As for the "engine optimizations", I've never seen them explain those in any more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      The "major" updates are supposed to be bi-annual (usually around May and November). These are the ones Volvo publishes the list of various things you'll notice different. However, there are certainly updates to various modules between those.

As for the "engine optimizations", I've never seen them explain those in any more detail.
      thank you!

I recall someone posting in a similar thread a link to a site hosting the "deltas" between software versions that would assist with identifying which version was on your vehicle at a moment. Does anyone else recall this and can they share. I need to save to save it to my favorites.

Really interesting,

Odd, my '18 V90 shows Polestar on that screen.

I just had my 2018 V90 with Polestar updated (due to the On Call location recall) and have Polestar everywhere (I do have Polestar). There are definitely some noticeable differences. In Dynamic mode (now polestar!) the gear change points are definitely different. Previously dynamic revved way too high in many situations to make it useful so I drove in Comfort. Now the gear changes are not so severe and it doesn't stay in a low gear so long, to the point where I think I will be using it much more often. Also, the low end torque seems even better (it improved significantly after I had polestar installed) so it feels like they may have tweaked the polestar tune as well. Also after a couple of experiments, pilot assist seems much more capable on moderately curvy roads. Previously it needed fairly gradual turns to be reliable. Near where I live there are several roads that are pretty curvy and it handled them much much better, again to the point where I may even use it, whereas on those roads previously it was pretty poor.

There were also a few quirks after the update - I got a message saying my On Call subscription had expired but that seemed to fix itself after about 1/2hr (I assume it needed to resynch/connect after the update?). Also, 'Updates available' initially showed but also went away after a while (I didn't install anything)

Not relevant to this thread but when I had the recall done I mentioned my brakes felt like they vibrated when stopping from speed (they did but only slightly) and ended up getting new front rotors under warranty - at 6500 miles! Hopefully, that isn't the frequency after the warranty expires!

Quote Originally Posted by mandrsn1 View Post
      Odd, my '18 V90 shows Polestar on that screen.
      e
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Update done two weeks ago on my OR/P*. Didn't really check out how DYNAMIC runs now since I never used it before, except for curiosity. I do notice in COMFORT, the 1 - 2 shift seems much smoother. Big change for me is the absence of the strong left bias of the pilot assist, which kept me from using it much on 2-lane roads. The vehicle now tracks dead center in the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      Update done two weeks ago on my OR/P*. Didn't really check out how DYNAMIC runs now since I never used it before, except for curiosity. I do notice in COMFORT, the 1 - 2 shift seems much smoother. Big change for me is the absence of the strong left bias of the pilot assist, which kept me from using it much on 2-lane roads. The vehicle now tracks dead center in the lane.
      That's two reports re PA so I wonder if the update has silently included the improved PA that came with the 2019 V60/S60 ... though PA was also improved in the Nov 2018 TU - was your last update prior to that?
      Last edited by nquery; 07-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

My cars last update was before October 2018 (when I bought it) so the improvements I've seen could have been from any update after then

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      That's two reports re PA so I wonder if the update has silently included the improved PA that came with the 2019 V60/S60 ... though PA was also improved in the Nov 2018 TU - was your last update prior to that?
      I purchased the car in June 2018 and this was the first update.

I recently bought a CPO V90 R-design, and I specifically asked the sales guy whether it had the latest polestar software prior to the purchase. Unfortunately I couldn't verify for myself, as I was shipping it from a Volvo dealership 300 miles away. The sales guy assured me that the software was running the latest version...yet it still shows "dynamic mode". I'm guessing he was just full of sh!t and didn't bother checking when I asked.

How pissed should I be? If I take it to a local dealership, are they likely to charge me for an update?

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements