Advice on a T8 Purchase
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Advice on a T8 Purchase

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a slightly used XC90 T8. We will be upgrading from our Touareg TDI, which is a part of diesel gate. My wife and I love the packaging, economy, safety, and comfort the XC90 offers. Plus, we feel the T8 may offset some of the damage done by our gross polluting TDI.

Despite sporadically reading this community’s posts over the past several months regarding various XC90 issues, we have not been totally scarred off from an XC90 purchase. However, we will be buying the biggest warranty package available. 😊

From what I have seen, it appears the majority of T8 issues are occurring on 2017 model year and earlier cars. As a result, we are focusing on buying a 2018 vehicle.

We have a few questions:
      1. What additional options and specifications should we avoid in an attempt to have a trouble-free ownership experience? For example, I’m trying to avoid XC90’s with the air suspension, due to notorious issues (regardless of manufacturer).
      2. Is there a manufacturing date on the 2017 T8’s that are safe to assume will not have the hybrid system failure issues?
      3. IIHS rates the headlights on the 2016-2018 XC90’s as “Moderate” which is an extremely low grade. Do you believe this is a fair criticism of the XC90?

I appreciate your assistance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a 2017 XC90 Inscription T8 with everything available. I do not have HUD (Heads up Display), instead my windshield is a heated windshield. Hud is not of value to me on anything other than a fast sports car. Personal preference. Back to the T8. So far no problems at 12,000 miles. Perfect car. You cannot always go by what people on this forum write. Often they are not car savvy. If you are getting an extended warranty then you should be ok. There is a dealer on the East Coast that discounts the extended warranty. Do a search https://www.steingold.com/ And then pick what color you like and the options. Most people in the know really love the air suspension. With an extended warranty you are covered. The Bowers & Wilkens upgraded stereo system is fantastic if you like your music high fidelity. Napa leather is really soft. They change the options and names often so check. The luxury seat includes massage front seats. We hardly use that feature. But the convenience, and other options are really nice. Don't think about adding something later, as it will cost twice as much. So see what is available for the year you are considering. Then look for that particular car. 2018 is not necessarily less problematic than a 2017. The 2016 first year had problems but were mostly fixed. What is often complained about on this forum is not necessarily the norm. Hope that helps. I love my car and really enjoy driving it. It qualifies for the diamond lane stickers in California. Also there is a California Rebate depending on your income used or new. The Federal tax deduction of $5000 may be good on a new car, but not sure. Investigate that. Also there is a $28,000 accelerated depreciation write-off if you use it for business. I think it can be used. Investigate however.

The headlights are some of the best I have seen over the years.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      I do not have HUD (Heads up Display), instead my windshield is a heated windshield. Hud is not of value to me on anything other than a fast sports car. Personal preference.
      I didn't want HUD, but the car I picked up (CPO) had it and I'm sort of glad it did. I test drove one without the HUD, and therefore heated windshield, and once I saw the lines in the windshield I couldn't get past it.

Personally, I love the HUD - didn't think I would originally. I rarely look at my driver's screen (whatever it's called where the tach/speedo are) while on the go.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MegaBit View Post
      [*]IIHS rates the headlights on the 2016-2018 XC90’s as “Moderate” which is an extremely low grade. Do you believe this is a fair criticism of the XC90?
      Having both the Volvo and another vehicle with a Safety Pick+ w/ top rating on the lights, no I do think Moderate is a fair assessment of the XC90 headlights. I drive both every week and alternate w/ my wife. They are rather similar, specifically Mercedes GLC w/ Advanced Matrix Lighting and Volvo XC90 w/ Active Bending Lights. The GLC is better, but I don't think the difference is massive.

Also, I believe the 2019 IIHS rating has the XC90 ABL rating as Acceptable.

In general I think the entire "Good" "Acceptable" "Moderate" scale by the IIHS isn't accurate. If standard Halogens are a 1 out of 5 stars, and the GLC Matrix LEDs are 5 out of 5 then the Volvo LEDs are 4 out of 5.

I also think the entire headlight inclusion for Top Safety Pick+ could have been done better because the Matrix LEDs on the Mercedes is a rather rare option because just alone it costs $1500, I had to custom order my GLC from Germany and wait months to get it as US dealers rarely order them. The Volvo active LEDs came with common packages so Active LEDs are found on many Volvos. So I think your average Volvo is more likely to have better LEDs than your average Mercedes C class...many of which are still halogen.
      Last edited by taek; 06-05-2019 at 03:32 PM.

If you avoid the air suspension I recommend you to also avoid the 21" wheels and go for 20" wheels for better comfort...

However, we will be buying the biggest warranty package available.
      Don't forget to check if your auto insurance offers something similar to Volvo's VIP warranty. I've got GEICO and they offer MBI, Mechanical Breakdown Insurance, for the 1st seven years or 100,000 miles of your car if under 15 months old and under 15,000 miles for ~$60/year and $250 deductible. So that's $420 for 7 years, covers the same stuff as Volvo's VIP, and you choose the repair shop.

Checkout this website for more things to consider:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/car-ins...hould-i-get-it .

And congrats on choosing Volvo!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

If you are getting a CPO, within 30 days of purchase, you can extend CPO warranty to up to 10 years, unlimited miles.
      Check out https://squareup.com/store/steingold-volvo-cars, 100 off code: swedespeed

I don't think any dealer could beat it.
      There is nothing to worry about even about air suspension. I have it and don't regret. If it breaks after 10 years, I'll have it replaced and drive another 10 years.
      Get B&W if you like it, so you have great music in this quiet car.

Of course this is if you intend to keep the car for long time.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

We loved our Touareg TDI and really wished VW was bringing the new design to the U.S. Unfortunately all we get on this side of the Atlantic is the butt ugly VW Atlas. Sigh.

We traded our TDI in and bought a 2016 used T8 with low mileage for around $47k. The alternative at that price point would have been a higher mileage 2017 and we felt it was worth the trade off. I agree with the poster above: as long as it’s not a lemon (and by 25-30k miles, feels like most issues would have been addressed), still under manufacturer warranty, along with a 7 year extended warranty for a decent price, the 2016 was a no brainer for me. (We had a 2011 Touareg, so we also know the pain of first year models — like lots of AdBlue pump issues! But the extended warranty always took care of it.)

I miss the power of the TDI. You can get a similar torque in Power mode on the T8, but I find myself more conscious about gaining range and higher MPGs than feeling that sense of drive. So I guess that’s a good thing for the environment. ;-) And I miss the nice substantial door close on the Touareg that always gave me that Germanic oomph of confidence. The door slam on the Volvo is more refined Swedish...

Otherwise, we haven’t looked back and love the car. From Apple CarPlay to a cavernous cargo area (and third row), to the supple Napa Leather seats, to the auto-parking. Even rear facing car seats are fast and easier to tether with designated clips (fishing the loops through the seat on the Touareg was a nightmare). Oh ... And our gasoline bill has gone down by 80%.

Thank you, everyone, for the excellent suggestions.

there is a California Rebate depending on your income used or new.
      I didn't think the CA rebated applied to used vehicles, good to know.

What is the build month of your T8, is your vehicle an early or late 2017 build?

Quote Originally Posted by taek View Post
      I believe the 2019 IIHS rating has the XC90 ABL rating as Acceptable... I also think the entire headlight inclusion for Top Safety Pick+ could have been done better...
      IIHS changed it's rating for 2018's built after April 2018. I would agree, the rating system could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Don't forget to check if your auto insurance offers something similar to Volvo's VIP warranty.
      Good point. Unfortunately, I don't have GEICO and the package offered by my warranty company is WAY more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      If you are getting a CPO, within 30 days of purchase, you can extend CPO warranty to up to 10 years, unlimited miles.
      Check out https://squareup.com/store/steingold-volvo-cars, 100 off code: swedespeed
      Awesome! I found Michael's contact info a few months ago while trolling the forms and already contacted him. However, he didn't provide the discount code.

Quote Originally Posted by AJetSetter View Post
      We loved our Touareg TDI and really wished VW was bringing the new design to the U.S. Unfortunately all we get on this side of the Atlantic is the butt ugly VW Atlas. Sigh.

(We had a 2011 Touareg, so we also know the pain of first year models — like lots of AdBlue pump issues! But the extended warranty always took care of it.)

I miss the power of the TDI. You can get a similar torque in Power mode on the T8, but I find myself more conscious about gaining range and higher MPGs than feeling that sense of drive. So I guess that’s a good thing for the environment. ;-) And I miss the nice substantial door close on the Touareg that always gave me that Germanic oomph of confidence. The door slam on the Volvo is more refined Swedish...

Oh ... And our gasoline bill has gone down by 80%.
      We also loved our 2011 Touareg, when I told the wife it was apart of Diesel Gate and it was going back to VW, it was the first time I saw her cry over a car. The fit and finish of the body is truly amazing and owns its nickname as the rolling vault.

In addition to the AdBlue issues, we also lost the high-pressure fuel pump and without the extended warranty it would have been a $15k repair. I learned my lesson on the value of these warranties that day. It was also the deciding factor to sell it back to VW.

You must be plugging in your T8 alot, the Touareg's 32 MPG is hard to duplicate.
      Last edited by MegaBit; 06-05-2019 at 10:45 PM.

You must be plugging in your T8 alot, the Touareg's 32 MPG is hard to duplicate.
      I've got about 45 mpg but my family's commutes (and the occasional 400hp highway flexing, for proper emission systems performance/maintenance, of course . . .) are perfect for the T8's current range. Some folks on the forum have even higher mpgs . . .
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

I also selected 2018 due to the higher EV and MPG ratings. See the following.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...39383&id=40407

2017 = 14 EV Range/ 54 MPGe
      2018 = 19 EV Range/ 62 MPGe
      2019 = 17 EV Range/ 58 MPGe

Is there a thread where people owners provided their average real-world EV range?

Quote Originally Posted by FjordWay View Post
      If you avoid the air suspension I recommend you to also avoid the 21" wheels and go for 20" wheels for better comfort...
      Love the air suspension and 21" wheels on our 2017 T8.

2018 T8 here, late 2017 build and delivery. Car has been glitchy on software but largely fixed by software updates at dealer. We got the hybrid system failure warning after two weeks but it never recurred after being fixed via software. We have had the battery thermostat replaced and an erroneous service required warning message dealt with at the dealer after multiple visits. We have the extended warranty to 100k miles. Glad I got air suspension and like the electric torque. We like the car a lot because it is roomy, comfortable and solid. The upgraded leather is delicate and needs constant care but feels great. It has not been as reliable as say a Japanese car but at the 1.5 year mark of ownership, I think we are good with this car. Probably will keep it through the end of the extended warranty period.
      2018 XC90 T8 Inscription Denim Blue/Maroon Brown Leather
      2014 MB CLS550 Palladium Silver/ Black Sport Leather
      2015 MB GLK350 Polar White/ Sahara Beige MB Tex
      2005 Lexus SC430 Twilight Amethyst Pearl/ Ecru Leather

Quote Originally Posted by taek View Post
      Having both the Volvo and another vehicle with a Safety Pick+ w/ top rating on the lights, no I do think Moderate is a fair assessment of the XC90 headlights. I drive both every week and alternate w/ my wife. They are rather similar, specifically Mercedes GLC w/ Advanced Matrix Lighting and Volvo XC90 w/ Active Bending Lights. The GLC is better, but I don't think the difference is massive.

Also, I believe the 2019 IIHS rating has the XC90 ABL rating as Acceptable.

In general I think the entire "Good" "Acceptable" "Moderate" scale by the IIHS isn't accurate. If standard Halogens are a 1 out of 5 stars, and the GLC Matrix LEDs are 5 out of 5 then the Volvo LEDs are 4 out of 5.

I also think the entire headlight inclusion for Top Safety Pick+ could have been done better because the Matrix LEDs on the Mercedes is a rather rare option because just alone it costs $1500, I had to custom order my GLC from Germany and wait months to get it as US dealers rarely order them. The Volvo active LEDs came with common packages so Active LEDs are found on many Volvos. So I think your average Volvo is more likely to have better LEDs than your average Mercedes C class...many of which are still halogen.
      I won't comment on anything else but headlights. Not sure where you are located but unless you are driving NON US spec car then you have not seen the Matrix headlights as they are are illegal in the US thnx to half century old law. I have had the Audi and BMW real matrix in Germany, and it is night and day difference in technology, being able to drive with always on high beams.
      I would also say that the LED color temperature of the Volvo and the light reach (V90 in my case) is slightly superior to my Bmw 750li (no matrix) led lights. There are couple of youtube reviews on the led Volvo lights and all reviews liked it. What they did say tho is that the (matrix = non us spec) implementation by volvo isn't as good as some European rivals as BMW and Audi are using many more leds in each light that can be on or off depending on the road situation.

For those who like to see the real matrix tech in action here is the Audi BMW and mb compared.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxYiiagTI_4
      Last edited by rkohou; 06-06-2019 at 08:21 AM.

My 2017 XC90 Inscription T8 was built during 4/17. The chassis number is 1184355. It was a dealer driven car which I purchased on 5/26/18 with 1800 miles. I have never had a problem with the car. When I took it in because I had uninstalled Pandora they ended up downloading the software for the car and told me that was the first time it had been updated. It does not get a lot of electric miles and often I will charge it up after an excursion sometimes up to three times in one day. If you choose a used T8 try and look through the service records to see if the car has had many issues. That should help in getting a problem free car. I really do like the air suspension. It adds a lot to the car's smoothness driving on the freeway. I am not concerned that it will fail. The led headlights are some of the best I have had on a car. Mine will bend in a turn in low beam. The Bowers & Wilkins while expensive when purchased new, can often be found on used vehicles at essentially a very discounted price. If you are into music I cannot think of a better option. It is something I look forward to every time I drive the car. The inscription model has I believe more sound insulation in the car and has the Napa leather which I really love. The Volvo seats are some of the best seats in the industry. That is why I wanted to get the top of the line.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Hi Everyone,

This post is LONG overdue. I wanted to thank everyone for sharing your experience and advice.

I’m happy to report late last year we joined the Volvo family. We purchase a new 2019 XC90 T8 Momentum in Ice White and Amber (the last year for this color combo on the momentum trim) with the advance package, air ride, and Harmon Kardon packages.

Despite not initially wanting the Momentum package or the air ride, I’m pleased we pulled the trigger on this one.

Now admiring other older Volvos on the road, I like the Momentums “old school” roof rack. The non-perforated leather works better with the little kids.

The air suspension, while subtle, the ride is better, and it’s an excellent convenience controlling the car’s height. It has been super helpful for washing the car.

Not to mention, the purchase experience was amazing!

I’m happy to report late last year we joined the Volvo family. We purchase a new 2019 XC90 T8 Momentum in Ice White and Amber
      Welcome and congrats on the new vehicle!

Hi Everyone,

This post is LONG overdue. I wanted to thank everyone for sharing your experience and advice.

I’m happy to report late last year we joined the Volvo family. We purchase a new 2019 XC90 T8 Momentum in Ice White and Amber (the last year for this color combo on the momentum trim) with the advance package, air ride, and Harmon Kardon packages.
      I thought we were the only ones doing Ice White these days. Seems all of the cars I see or hear about are doing one of the metallics. Looking forward to actually having ours in hand. Glad to know you're enjoying yours so much. I personally would have done the Momentum trim with the textile fabric but my wife's desire for the more adjustable lumbar support won the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

I have a 2017 XC90 Inscription T8 with everything available. I do not have HUD (Heads up Display), instead my windshield is a heated windshield. Hud is not of value to me on anything other than a fast sports car. Personal preference. Back to the T8. So far no problems at 12,000 miles. Perfect car. You cannot always go by what people on this forum write. Often they are not car savvy. If you are getting an extended warranty then you should be ok. There is a dealer on the East Coast that discounts the extended warranty. Do a search https://www.steingold.com/ And then pick what color you like and the options. Most people in the know really love the air suspension. With an extended warranty you are covered. The Bowers & Wilkens upgraded stereo system is fantastic if you like your music high fidelity. Napa leather is really soft. They change the options and names often so check. The luxury seat includes massage front seats. We hardly use that feature. But the convenience, and other options are really nice. Don't think about adding something later, as it will cost twice as much. So see what is available for the year you are considering. Then look for that particular car. 2018 is not necessarily less problematic than a 2017. The 2016 first year had problems but were mostly fixed. What is often complained about on this forum is not necessarily the norm. Hope that helps. I love my car and really enjoy driving it. It qualifies for the diamond lane stickers in California. Also there is a California Rebate depending on your income used or new. The Federal tax deduction of $5000 may be good on a new car, but not sure. Investigate that. Also there is a $28,000 accelerated depreciation write-off if you use it for business. I think it can be used. Investigate however.

I agree with DrManny3 on all counts. Where I deviate from his is on spec of 2017 T8, ours is R-Design (with all options ticked) and I preferred HUD over heated glass.

Also agree about headlights - they're amazing and on our 2010 XC90 I ended adding Volvo's aux light kit with VisionX Light Canons to come close to matching the 2017 XC90 lights. I think the moderate rating is based on the base light config of the XC90 - I recall reading about it a few years ago and it had been discussed in the forum. They don't consider the "optional" lights in their ratings.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      I've got about 45 mpg but my family's commutes (and the occasional 400hp highway flexing, for proper emission systems performance/maintenance, of course . . .) are perfect for the T8's current range. Some folks on the forum have even higher mpgs . . .
      When I was commuting to work, my usual MPG was about 120+mpg and could go more than 1200mi on a single fuel tank (my 2017 has the tiny 13gal tank ). Combined with weekend trips or towing I would sometimes drop to about 60-90mpg. Trips towing only on a tank would see 15-20mpg. My lifetime on 27k mi is averaging about 42mpg which includes towing about 15% of the total miles and the first 3000 miles (during our OSD) we couldn't plug in since NA plugs are the lower spec Type1 connectors - Europe uses Type2 (essentially have a longer service life than Type1). Now we're in rural mountain setting for our social distancing and out here I can easily get 40-50mpg. Trips are longer and I can only plugin at home.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements