Bike rack options
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Bike rack options

What bike racks do you guys have? I recently got a quote for $1300 from a local dealer just for the parts (trailer hitch, rack, wiring?, etc). That doesn’t even include the labor. All set and done, close to $2k.
      I’m not looking to spend this much. Are there other options? Anyone pay that much for the hitch and the rack?
      Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are lots of threads about hitches on Swedespeed already, so you will find this a well covered topic. I did stealth hitch, rack hitch only, not towing and had a Volvo dealer install. All in it was around $700. Bike rack only for me, so that covered my needs. Very happy with the look and utility.
      2019 XC90 Inscription Crystal White/Blond, Pole*, B&W, Air Suspension (OSD)

I use the roof rack and bring a small folding step stool with me. If I recall $500 or less covered it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Go to this site and you will see a number of hitches available. If you are not towing where you want the built in stability program then you will save the cost of the wire harness and the towing module as well as the software to make it functional. That adds about $500+ to the price. If you are carrying bikes then it become much easier. Go with a hitch that has a locking system whereby the bike carrier is held very rigidly in the receiver. This keeps it from rocking back and forth as you drive. If you are using traditional road bikes then most of the bike carriers work. Mountain bikes often do not have straight parallel top tubes so you will need to either add additional equipment to the bike rack or get one that works with that type of bike. You can often get bike racks on sale. I think I paid under $150 for mine that normally sold for around $300. You can spend way more but you won't get a necessarily better carrier, just a name. www.etrailer.com is a good place to start. I went with Draw-Tite for around $150 and then installed myself. Some people prefer a stealth looking hitch. I did not particular care. www.performancebike.com https://www.performancebike.com/yaki...002468/p442804 When you get your hitch get a 2 inch receiver as that is more universal. Most of the bike carriers come with a 1.25 to 2 inch receiver adapter.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      I use the roof rack and bring a small folding step stool with me. If I recall $500 or less covered it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I did the same thing. Got the Volvo/Thule roof rack for under $450 and use a foldable step stool. Additionally, about two months ago, I added Draw TIte towing hitch for less than $375. I did the install and slight cutting was needed with the Draw Tite unit. Not visible unless you crawl under the car.
      '14 S60 RD (His) Traded for 2017 P*
      '13 S80 3.2 Platinum | Ice White | Beige Interior (Hers)
      '16 XC90 T6 Momentum w all options | Ember Black (Hers)
      '17 S60 P* with all options|Ice White|Lumar Tint|Mud Guards|Wheel Locks|CF Mirror Covers|Hexomats|Interior LED|Xpel Ultimate Frt of Car|OEM Wheels Powder Coated Charcoal Gray|Elevate RSB|Black Painted Rotor Edges
      '09S2k Chicane Silver Low Mileage (His)

I just did the draw tite hitch. Was $138 off amazon and I did install myself. Got a Allen 4 bike rack and so far loving it. I couldn’t justify spending the $$ on the factory or stealth hitch. The bike rack so far hasn’t left the the car so it negates the benefit of an invisible hitch.

I called around and got the Volvo factory hitch installed for ~$500 by a dealer. Prices varied ENORMOUSLY for the same hitch (as much as 4x the price) at different dealers. I added a Hollywood 4-bike platform rack for a little less than $500. Very stable and quick/easy to get the bikes on and off. The hanging style hitch racks are more popular but I’ve had them before and loading/unloading can be a real pain. If you do decide you want a Thule rack, one thing I’ve found is the Volvo branded versions are actually cheaper than the Thule ones and are identical. Plus sometimes you might be able to find a coupon for 30% rebate on all this stuff. Search the forums for more info.

I put one of the invisihitch versions on mine, with a Kuat NV bike rack. The rack is killer, and very versatile while being sturdy. I would recommend it over a roof mounted version simply due to not wanting to scratch the roof.

I just bought the roof rails from Volvo and 3 steel bike racks for the 2020 xc90. I did not want to put a hitch.

I am still amazed that the volvo oem hitch requires a cutout.
      you think at some point they would come up with a drawtite similar clean fit?
      20 T6 MOM 7pass::: 17 T6 MOM XC90 (lease rtn):::'06 2.5T AWD XC90 10/05 (now 106k)::: '06 2.5T AWD XC90 9/05 (sold 3/17 with 89k)::: '03 2.5T AWD XC90 3/03 (trade-assist)

Awaiting Approval

Bike Rack

I also buy a bike rack by using Ritecoupons and get great discounts from them you can also use.

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
      I am still amazed that the volvo oem hitch requires a cutout.
      you think at some point they would come up with a drawtite similar clean fit?
      New hitch does not require cut out

I bought this for our 2017 XC90:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201765362

We use this bike rack:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/yaki...SABEgKmC_D_BwE

Since I didn't feel comfortable dropping the exhaust or cutting anything, I had the dealer install the hitch for me. The dealer wanted lots of money to install the Volvo hitch, which does look nicer and is tucked away. But the Drawtite is sturdy and seemed to be the best balance for looks and price.

1upUSA racks are phenomenal. A bit on the expensive side but one of the easiest and fastest racks to load up a bike.

https://www.1up-usa.com/products/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattjm23 View Post
      1upUSA racks are phenomenal. A bit on the expensive side but one of the easiest and fastest racks to load up a bike.

https://www.1up-usa.com/products/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Agree with the 1up. I've got it installed on the roof and it takes 5 seconds to get the bike up and down.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

Here's a 4 bike carrier. Got another one on the roof.
      Attached Images Attached Images

You managed to get $500 for labor? I have been quoted $1500 in the bay area. Where did you get that $500 quote from?

REI Thule T2 Pro - reduced price till 7/6

Thule racks T2 Pro (1.25" & 2" ) are discounted right now in REI, down to $495.89 from 619.95.

Picked one yesterday after going back and forth between T2 and Kuat Sherpa. Kuats (sherpa and NV) require a bit more depth of hitch behind the pin hole, Thule does not.

Installation was easy, following a youtube video.

Have fun.

/kleks
      --
      2020 XC60 T8 Polestarred Orca - Arctic white/black/black. Did I miss any option ?
      2004 V70 R - sleeper.
      C43 AMG - exuberance of the youth
      1996 S70 T5 - mech special.
      Honda V70 Magna, Yamaha FJ1200, Honda CBR 1100XX x 2, Honda CBR 900RR, BMW R1200GS, BMW R1200GSA... you need acceleration ? get two wheels.
      Wanna race ? Let's go to Anchorage and back.

Invisihitch on our XC90 and a Stealth Hitch on the V60. We use the 1-up Heavy Duty hitch rack for 4 bikes. The next time I have it on, I'll snap a picture.
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |
      (His) 2020 V60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Premium | Premium Plus (HUD) | Sport Suspension

I also bought the Draw Tite hitch online for $134 shipped. The price has since increased on Amazon.

For the bike rack, I went with the Tow Tuff Aluminum Cargo Carrier with Bike Rack ($242 shipped) which holds up to 4 bikes with minimal hassle. Both the hitch and rack are out of stock on Amazon, but if you search around, you should be able to get similar pricing on different sites.

Perhaps the most important investment was the Hitch Stabilizer which eliminated all of the play/wiggle between the rack and hitch mount. Best $11 ever spent.

I forgot to take pictures of the hitch install (I was trying to beat the incoming rain so was in a hurry). But its super easy, there are tons of videos online each walk you through step by step (most important tool needed is torque wrench). There is some cutting of the bumper which no one will ever see and can be done with easily with a heavy duty box cutter. For $387 all in and some elbow grease I figured I didn't even have to ask the wifey before I pulled the trigger Ironically, she was more unhappy about me cutting the bumper than the $$$ spent. Now I can haul 4 bikes, or up to 500 lbs of anything that doesn't need to go inside the car
      This is the final result with 4 bikes loaded:

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      Here's a 4 bike carrier. Got another one on the roof.
      Reposting since the images are not showing properly. What I like about this 4 bike carrier is that it can swing to the side WITH THE BIKES STILL ON in order for you to access the trunk. I'll add a pic with the trunk open and the bikes swung to the side later.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the other pics. Oh how I wish I bought the bigger wheels... It's so evident from these pics that the bigger wheels look so much better. But I'm not looking to switch now since I just put Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ tires on. Actually, I wish the R Design had heated steering wheel back then (it didn't for 2017). That's really the look that I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      Here are the other pics. Oh how I wish I bought the bigger wheels... It's so evident from these pics that the bigger wheels look so much better. But I'm not looking to switch now since I just put Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ tires on. Actually, I wish the R Design had heated steering wheel back then (it didn't for 2017). That's really the look that I wanted.

I didn't realize how much I like the feel of the heated steering wheel compared to the standard. Also, even going from 20 inch wheels to the 21 inch makes a big difference in the look. But yours is very nice! And that bike rack is awesome! Ours tilts down, which allows the tail gate to open. But it is still difficult to access and remove stuff. Yours has that covered

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements