Axle Ping Noise repaired with a new Axle Screw with rubber....
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Axle Ping Noise repaired with a new Axle Screw with rubber....

I went to my dealer again with the axle ping noise problem.
      2 months ago they made something like s silicone but the noise again was heard last week.

This time they used the XC90 axle screws according to the bulletin and seems that this will solve my problem for a long time.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Axle Ping Noise repaired with a new Axle Screw with rubber.... (xenophobic)

AHA, so that's what is different about this part. Thanks for the pic.

The reason they'll work differently is because they add some pressure to the spline ring. The "ping" isn't looseness in the splines, it's end play in the joint, as the ring moves in and out. Loctite holds it until it lets go, this pad will stay there full-time.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

A few of us have already had this done....and so far so good. For me, it took two loctites and hub replacement before the field rep tried this fix. I am glad to see that the word is spreading.
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

yup, this was applied to mine since 2004. No problems since then..

https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=21132

04 S60R 6MT, Sapphire Black, Atacama
      Mods, Dyno, Pic.

Writing up my request to my service adviser now.
      This will be the third time they have glued/fixed it in 18K miles. Sounds like an electrical storm on mine when accelerating along with the normal slow speed ticks or pings.

- Polartek

Hi,

I have an 04 S60R. I am reading all of the related R forum posts trying to find out what the TNN # is (or other bulletin #) to fix the axel spline problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Axle Ping Noise repaired with a new Axle Screw with rubber.... (wineconnoisseur)

Quote, originally posted by wineconnoisseur »
      I have an 04 S60R. I am reading all of the related R forum posts trying to find out what the TNN # is (or other bulletin #) to fix the axel spline problem.

Welcome to the board. Here are the two TNN's:

S60/S80/V70

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html

XC90

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html

As you can see by this thread, the XC90 fix seems to be a better solution.

Re: Axle Ping Noise repaired with a new Axle Screw with rubber.... (MagoonR)

Magoon,

Thank you for the information. I will take both to the dealer.

I want them to do the XC90 fix but I fully expect them to resist performing a "non-S60R" procedure.

Does anyone have any guidance (or better yet experience) they could share with me about how this conversation could go?

Thank you ver much.

Re: Axle Ping Noise repaired with a new Axle Screw with rubber.... (wineconnoisseur)

Quote, originally posted by wineconnoisseur »
      Does anyone have any guidance (or better yet experience) they could share with me about how this conversation could go?

Explain that you are experiencing the pinging and would like the loctite fix and the bolts replaced. They will push back on the bolts as "non R' but I can email you a pdf of my invoice that shows it can be done.

Great write up and thanks for the picture. I have had mine done (loctite) 2 times in 20,000 miles. Now I will bring this post in and let them tell me the XC90 fix will not work on my R.

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Explain that you are experiencing the pinging and would like the loctite fix and the bolts replaced. They will push back on the bolts as "non R' but I can email you a pdf of my invoice that shows it can be done.

MagoonR, could you send me a copy of that PDF. My dealer is refusing to even acknowledge there is an alternative fix.

-Will

Re: Axle Ping Noise repaired with a new Axle Screw with rubber.... (Rangeball)

Quote, originally posted by Rangeball »

MagoonR, could you send me a copy of that PDF. My dealer is refusing to even acknowledge there is an alternative fix.

-Will

I would like one too please. [email protected]

I just had the loctite fix. I showed the dealer both TNNs and the service manager knew exactly what to do but did the loctite only for now. So far, the car is so different. It drives smoother without the horrendous backlash from 1st to 2nd and no more clunking.

The dealer even took the bracket off when I asked.

Current: 2017 V60 Polestar, 2019 XC90 T6 R-design, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Previous: 2005 S60R, VW Jetta 1.8T, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla

Re: (dhdd)

Quote, originally posted by dhdd »
      I just had the loctite fix. I showed the dealer both TNNs and the service manager knew exactly what to do but did the loctite only for now. So far, the car is so different. It drives smoother without the horrendous backlash from 1st to 2nd and no more clunking.

Give it time.

-Will

I have always wanted to quote myself.

Anyways. SOOOOOO, I just got back from the dealership. They refused to acknowledge the XC90 bolts work even though I am showing them the invoice that MagoonR gave me. Stating the reason why (I am going to quote because it will make this a lot more fun to read) "the 04's have different parts than the 05's."

This might be true not trying to knock the tech if he is correct, but then he turns around and looks me straight in the face and says "man your car looks good. (and I quote) I thought for a moment that you had lowering springs but then I realized you just had spacers." After saying thank you and walking out the door, I realized that the guy can't read the Eibach printed on my springs. No wonder he can't read the TNN I gave him about using XC90 bolts to fix the axel spline. Un-be-freakin-lievable!

To top it all off, they fixed my broken turn signal and it still doesn't work!

I need a then a but not a Martini something along the lines of bourbon.

Anyways. SOOOOOO, I just got back from the dealership. They refused to acknowledge the XC90 bolts work even though I am showing them the invoice that MagoonR gave me. Stating the reason why (I am going to quote because it will make this a lot more fun to read) "the 04's have different parts than the 05's."

Bleeping numbskulls. Here's a link that CLEARLY shows the fix on an 05.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=3

I'm having the axle click problem now, and I passed along all the info I gathered from here on the topic, including a copy of the pdf invoice showing the XC90 axle bolt fix. My local service rep needed a few days to talk to the regional rep, and he said that regardless they have to try the loctite fix first.

He said the loctite needs to cure for 6 hours with the car up on a hoist, and if it's taken down before that then the fix will not take. His opinion was that maybe the stories I heard about the fix failing could be due to inadequate cure time on the hoist. You guys all seem pretty knowledgeable about S60R issues so I don't know if that is accurate, but I don't have much choice in the matter.

I take it in for the Loctite fix next week, I'll keep you posted as to whether it lasts!

gb

When I take my car in for it's first service (dreading it) I will demand they use the XC90 bolts and bushings otherwise I won't bother having them fix it at all. I usually get my way though so hopefully this will be no different. It's just stupid that a fix that works and doesn't need to cure is not being used as standard. Just an FYI but my car has had the axle ping since the day I got it... I had no idea what it was until I found out about it here...

Re: (grimmbob)

Quote, originally posted by grimmbob »
      My local service rep needed a few days to talk to the regional rep, and he said that regardless they have to try the loctite fix first.

Have them perform the loctite fix but while they're in there, swap the axle bolts. I think they have to come out anyway.

Quote, originally posted by grimmbob »
      He said the loctite needs to cure for 6 hours with the car up on a hoist, and if it's taken down before that then the fix will not take. His opinion was that maybe the stories I heard about the fix failing could be due to inadequate cure time on the hoist. You guys all seem pretty knowledgeable about S60R issues so I don't know if that is accurate, but I don't have much choice in the matter.

I take it in for the Loctite fix next week, I'll keep you posted as to whether it lasts!

Both loctitings sat at the dealership overnight....and neither lasted. Good luck.

Modified by MagoonR at 11:27 AM 8-2-2006

I have always wanted to quote myself.

This might be true not trying to knock the tech if he is correct, but then he turns around and looks me straight in the face and says "man your car looks good. (and I quote) I thought for a moment that you had lowering springs but then I realized you just had spacers." After saying thank you and walking out the door, I realized that the guy can't read the Eibach printed on my springs. No wonder he can't read the TNN I gave him about using XC90 bolts to fix the axel spline. Un-be-freakin-lievable!

To top it all off, they fixed my broken turn signal and it still doesn't work!

I need a then a but not a Martini something along the lines of bourbon.

Here I go again quoting myself again.

After allowing myself to sleep on the matter and tackle it with a level head I was able to speak with the service manager, who is normally my point of contact and a very reasonable guy. They decided that they will try the XC90 bolts after they measured them and determined that they will work. Apparently my serive manager is still explaining it to the knuckle head tech. See above!

Thanks MagoonR for the invoice and advice, if anything it was a learning experience. I know my dealership thinks I am a PITA but I shouldn't have to argue over simple fixes. Especially ones where I am showing them an invoice!!

Thanks MagoonR for the invoice and advice, if anything it was a learning experience. I know my dealership thinks I am a PITA but I shouldn't have to argue over simple fixes. Especially ones where I am showing them an invoice!!

Tell them to look at it this way, you/we are providing solutions that will aid them down the line when the next one comes in with the same issue.

Good luck and please report back.

DO NOT DO THE LOCTITE FIX!!!! IT WON'T WORK. PROBLEM WILL COME BACK IN A FEW WEEKS!

JRL is right on 99% of his advice, but he advice for letting the car sit overnight WILL NOT WORK so don't even bother with Loctite Fix!!!!

Get the XC90 bolt or anything else for that matter.

Bozzani Volvo in SoCal did the fix according to the TNN and they've noticed it too, loctite won't work according to them.

What are the symptoms of axle ping? I just got my R three days ago and have it's first service on monday, I want to listen out for it just in case.

Re: (legbend)

Quote, originally posted by legbend »
      What are the symptoms of axle ping? I just got my R three days ago and have it's first service on monday, I want to listen out for it just in case.

When you are at pretty low speeds and bring on some throttle, you can hear a little "click" from the front axle. Then when you back off the throttle (try lifting quickly) you'll hear it again.

Basically it happens when the axle comes under load suddenly at low speeds, whether it's deceleration or acceleration. That is my experience.

gb

How hard would this be to accomplish myself?? Lets say I go to the dealer and purchase the XC-90 bolt/spacer assembly (2 of PN 30714142), can I simply put car on lift, remove front wheels, remove bolt and instal these?? Or will I need to remove the front brakes and discs?

Just thinking this may be an easier route than screwing around with the service department half a day to convince them to apply an "XC-90 only" procedure.

Thanks in advance

Re: (Velvet_Jones)

Quote, originally posted by Velvet_Jones »
      How hard would this be to accomplish myself?? Lets say I go to the dealer and purchase the XC-90 bolt/spacer assembly (2 of PN 30714142), can I simply put car on lift, remove front wheels, remove bolt and instal these?? Or will I need to remove the front brakes and discs?

Just thinking this may be an easier route than screwing around with the service department half a day to convince them to apply an "XC-90 only" procedure.

Thanks in advance

If you have necessary basic tools it is very easy.

But you will go to dealer and this will take 5 minutes.Let them do it

Here I go again quoting myself again.

After allowing myself to sleep on the matter and tackle it with a level head I was able to speak with the service manager, who is normally my point of contact and a very reasonable guy. They decided that they will try the XC90 bolts after they measured them and determined that they will work. Apparently my serive manager is still explaining it to the knuckle head tech. See above!

Update:

Got the XC90 bolts installed and... no ping!!

From what the service manger and I talked about he thinks it is the rubber part of the bolt seen in the picture below.

He said the bolt that comes on the R is the same bolt minus the rubber part. So it may not actually solve the ping but dampen the noise. I will continue to drive around and see if I can hear a muffled noise.

Thanks again MagoonR for the help. I also have a copy of my invoice if anyone needs a copy.

Update:

Got the XC90 bolts installed and... no ping!!

Three months and all quiet here. It will take you awhile to build the confidence back since you're expecting another fix to fail (are you listening Volvo).

He said the bolt that comes on the R is the same bolt minus the rubber part. So it may not actually solve the ping but dampen the noise. I will continue to drive around and see if I can hear a muffled noise.

Actually, the rubber washer eliminates the play/ratcheting effect by keeping pressure in the assembly. It still amazes me that the Xc90 and S60/V70 have different TNN's for the same issue.

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
      The reason they'll work differently is because they add some pressure to the spline ring. The "ping" isn't looseness in the splines, it's end play in the joint, as the ring moves in and out. Loctite holds it until it lets go, this pad will stay there full-time.

Thanks again MagoonR for the help. I also have a copy of my invoice if anyone needs a copy.

You're quite welcome. As I have stated numerous times, this is an ordeal that no owner should go through. IMO, total garbage support from a wannabe luxury brand.

Modified by MagoonR at 10:47 PM 8-7-2006

Re: (Velvet_Jones)

Quote, originally posted by Velvet_Jones »

Thanks in advance

I did this today. I ordered the two bolts from John at Boston Volvo. I just jacked up the car and removed the wheels.
      I then removed the old bolts and installed the new ones torqued to 50Nm. Took me about 20mins total.

There is one other difference in the bolts other than the rubber piece.
      On my factory ones, the end of the bolt took a 13mm socket. The XC-90 one used a 14mm socket. Thread pitch, width and length were all the same.

Results were fantastic. The noise is totally gone and I don't cringe when I shift now

I know that I should have taken it to the dealer for a fix, but honestly it was well worth the cost in the time I saved, I know the job was done right, and I love working on cars.

Thanks again to MagoonR and xenophobic for posting this fix!
      Pat

Re: (Pat S)

Hmmm...10 minutes per wheel and not fighting w/dealer and also leaving the car there all friggin day long....
      SOLD!!! 2005 S60R. Mods: IPD (Stage 2 ECU, Trak Spec F&R sways, 3" DP, HD-TCV, HD-coils, HD-endlinks, SS brake lines), HEICO (CATback, 18" Volution wheels), Phuz PhMIC, JRL resonator delete, RKelly CAI, PLX OLED Boost Gauge, VST roof spoiler, 35% 3M window tint, other littler things.

Global Moderator

Re: (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
      Hmmm...10 minutes per wheel and not fighting w/dealer and also leaving the car there all friggin day long....

If I can definitively fix any problem for under $100, even if it's under warranty, it's a no brainer for us with no-brained dealers.

Modified by needsdecaf at 5:03 AM 8-14-2006

Re: (needsdecaf)

I have no idea what the cost is for those 2 bolts...but they are just 2 bolts. I'd be surprised to see it more than 10 bucks each, but who knows...
      SOLD!!! 2005 S60R. Mods: IPD (Stage 2 ECU, Trak Spec F&R sways, 3" DP, HD-TCV, HD-coils, HD-endlinks, SS brake lines), HEICO (CATback, 18" Volution wheels), Phuz PhMIC, JRL resonator delete, RKelly CAI, PLX OLED Boost Gauge, VST roof spoiler, 35% 3M window tint, other littler things.

Re: (Short Circuit)

They are just under $14 each. I'm going to put them in today.

2010 XC90 V8 Ice White Executive package 125kmi Picture: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...abahn/XC90.jpg
      2004 S60R 6MT BlackSapphire/Nordkap 130kmi....Picture: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...10444Large.jpg

Re: (llabahn)

Ok, I installed the XC90 Axle Bolts today. I got them from Boston Volvo Village for a little over $13 per bolt. Thanks John!

Picture of the old bolt and the new one:

All you do is pull off the center cap with a suction cup that you buy at Walmart in the bathroom fixture section, exposing the old bolt.

Then remove the old bolt with a 14mm socket.

No, the wheel does not fall off.

Replace the bolt with the new bolt. Tighten with a 14 mm socket.

Snap in the center cap and you're done.

Test drive. NO MORE AXLE PING!!!

2010 XC90 V8 Ice White Executive package 125kmi Picture: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...abahn/XC90.jpg
      2004 S60R 6MT BlackSapphire/Nordkap 130kmi....Picture: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...10444Large.jpg

Re: (llabahn)

You're the man! I think I might reconsider getting rid of my R

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast