Long time Volvo owner. First time poster. - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      This is a great thread about a great find and someone who obviously appreciates a car like this. Doing a great job so far!

As far as the trim goes... check out “solution finish.” You will only need their tiny bottle to do the whole car and you’ll still have plenty leftover. This stuff gives you as close to a factory fresh look as possible and it lasts years. I had it on my s60 for about 3 years and just recently did another paint correction on it and decided to remove and reapply the S.F. It still looked good after three years, I just knew I would hit the trim with the DA buffer so I removed it before I started. Then I reapplied with the same tiny bottle I bought years ago. Still have a lot left.

Good luck!
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson'sWagon View Post
      On the topic of cosmetics, what does everyone use for faded bumpers? I'm not particularly interested in painting them.
      We used "Wipe New" on the wife's GLT

They were pretty faded, and you can still see a hint of it, but it still looks the same after about a year.
      '97 854 T5 & '97 855 GLT(RN LPT swap/16T/302's/ETC) (wife's)
      '78 264 (Future Whiteblock/T5 swap)

Here's a couple of recent pics of my S60 with Solution Finish on the trim:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZQ3T8...ing=UTF8&psc=1
      Last edited by T501; 07-21-2019 at 08:34 PM.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      This is a great thread about a great find and someone who obviously appreciates a car like this. Doing a great job so far!
      Thank you! I love doing this. I just can't wait to get a tag on Monday and drive the thing on something other than my driveway.

I'll order some Solution Finish. Those pictures look great. Thank you for the suggestion. The detail job on this car is going to be a week long process for sure. Trying to get all the nooks and crannies clear of organic gunk and not to mention the polish and wax job. Thankfully this car is a "brick", so it will be less painful with my dual orbital.

Tags tomorrow!

Shakedown time!

Ohhhhh man.

Car running...Check!
      No leaks.......Check!
      Insurance......Check!
      Registration....Check!

All status lights green and I pulled onto the main roads for the first time. It has been six years since this car has been registered! I drove for 50 miles or so up and down the interstate. Took it up to speed limits and stood on the brakes a little bit. Initial checks were great. No smoke. The car pulls hard and stops quick. Steering is minutely shaky (probably a wheel balance or alignment issue). The shocks are beyond blown so its a good thing I have a set on standby. This car is fun and comfortable.

I decided to take it to the local car wash to rinse off my grimy hand prints from the fenders after all my work. I'll chalk this up at the first preliminary wash before the clay bar. I know ill wash it again too. Pulled in, shut the car down and started scrubbing. Don't worry guys...I brought my own wash mit.

All finished up and hopped back in the driver's seat. *Turns key*......(engine turns over.....no start). *Turns key again* This time with a nervous twitch......(engine turns over.....no start).

After a sigh of defeat, I popped the hood and pulled the wire from the coil leading to the distributor to see if I had spark. Survey says...no spark. Earlier, I repaired the cam position sensor connector because it was falling apart. Well, I guess the wires inside weren't worth the effort because they must have been broken inside the casing. I jiggled them around and attempted to fire again. I got spark but the car died. Cool, I found the problem but how do I fix it enough to get home?

*phone rings* My fiance is leaving work. Asks me how I am doing. Long story short, she stops by the house and packs a bag of tools for me and headed my way. She waited for me to either fix it or wait for a tow. A few wires cut here, some electrical tape there and I was back on the road! I already ordered a new Cam and Crank sensor to prevent any future car wash repairs.

So all in all, I would say it was a good first trip. Hahaha.

That's awesome! Glad you got it back on the road after all these years. I think you're really going to enjoy this car.
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Very jealous, we have no do it yourself car washes around here and to be honest any wash that is actually touching your car and not done by a professional is going to hurt your paint a wee bit.

Glad to see you weren't stranded too long! I had a similar conundrum when I washed my engine bay once. Water got into the spark plug wells, and it wasn't hot enough to evaporate for about an hour lol.
      In the Garage
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / 135,5xx /
      Quicksilver / 2011 C30 T5 M66 / Silver Metallic + Off Black / 91,6xx

Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      Very jealous, we have no do it yourself car washes around here and to be honest any wash that is actually touching your car and not done by a professional is going to hurt your paint a wee bit.
      I've never owned a car that was worthy of a "two bucket" hand wash. However, this is the closest I have gotten to having a good looking paint job. I am excited to bring it to life.

It might be controversial but I’m not gonna lie... If I were to buy a sedan at this point, I think I’d rather have a Platinum than an R, or even a T-5R. Love that pearl paint! Once it’s clayed, it will be amazing.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      It might be controversial but I’m not gonna lie... If I were to buy a sedan at this point, I think I’d rather have a Platinum than an R, or even a T-5R. Love that pearl paint! Once it’s clayed, it will be amazing.
      Not controversial at all; the Platinum market is going up right with the Rs. The Europeans are on to them and many of them are getting bought up by collectors there. One of the guys I met at Volvodrive Treffen bought a Platinum sedan and a Platinum estate in the past year since I was there. And this guy has everything you didn't know existed (2000 Laser, V70R, a 99 Cassis V70R, 97 M59 Aqua V70R, Laser S80 2.4T (no that was not a typo), Turquoise/Tan 855R, C70 Collection, etc.) When someone with a collection like that is buying Platinums I think you know the market is legit.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Nice work so far and great job on those little details. I look forward to seeing your full detail pics. Check out my thread for additional Solution Finish pics.

The cam position sensor came in today. Removed and replaced the old one. Cha-Ching! Car fired right up and I took it on a drive.

The amount of work that will be required to fully detail this car is disgusting. I figure I will tackle it from top to bottom. So the roof, pillars, and windows are first on the chopping block.

Looks good! Needs E codes...
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Major Progress

Very productive Sunday afternoon.

I went ahead and ordered a reman ABS module from Midwest to save time. Whenever I get around to it, I still plan on rebuilding my spare one for experience and to have it on the shelf. Easy install with a very rewarding outcome. No ABS or Trac lights!!! Just my service light which I need to figure out how to clear.

I took it for a drive and everything works as it should. No lights came on during the drive and the ABS modulates as expected when I stand on the pedal. So, I drove back and put the car in the driveway to begin the long awaited detail job. As I stated earlier, the roof was first on the chopping block.

Underneath the sunroof visor. Absolutely trashed.

After clay bar and polish.

All back together

The clay bar took a hit after the roof. Oooof. I might need a couple more handy for the rest of the car.

I started losing daylight so I called it quits after the roof. My steps;
      -wash
      -clay bar
      -rinse
      -polish with DA Orbital buffer (Meguiar's Ultimate Polish) using chemical guys hex logic pads
      -applied Meguiar's synthetic wax.

This sums up my preliminary steps at knocking the grime off and getting the paint cleaner. Q-tips and tooth brushes will come this winter.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Hope you enjoy what is to come.

-

Very productive Sunday afternoon.

Just my service light which I need to figure out how to clear.

2 options.

1. If you're an Android user, the "850 OBDII" app will allow you to reset the Service light. (As well as read DTCs from more than just the ECU). I've used it with success several times.

2. Just remove the bulb. (Seriously, if you're someone who does your own maintenance and logs it, all the light is is a nuisance.)

EDIT- If you want to keep the light, I'm pretty sure the OBDII app allows you to make changes to the interval that the light comes on.
      Last edited by Chuck W; 07-29-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Love the fact that you went looking for one thing and came home with something else entirely unexpected. Great read and great work! She's cleaning up nice.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
      01 v70 2.4T

Nice work on the roof. That looks like the visor had never been taken off since the day it was installed. You may need to invest in some other type of clay substitute product. There's sponges, pads for your DA polisher, mitts or two-sided towels for when you're washing your car. You might want to used those for the broad strokes, getting the years of gunk off the surfaces, then use the clay bar for the smaller areas you're focusing on.

Also, I would strongly suggest buying some Iron X. I bet there's tons of embedded ferrous particles in your paint and because it's white it'll show easily as it's being dissolved.

Great progress and the car is turning out very nice.

I can't believe a beautiful car like this with only 65K miles ended up out on a filed somewhere.

So glad to hear that you saved her!
      Volvoless in Seattle……………

Yellow 854 T-5R - 42K miles

Roof looks good. I would ditch that sunroof wind deflector. There is one built into the car. Not necessary at all and looks way better without it.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Roof looks good. I would ditch that sunroof wind deflector. There is one built into the car. Not necessary at all and looks way better without it.
      I would like to remove it however, the paint has been damaged from it being on for so long and never being cleaned. So for now it stays.

Progress on bumper restoration. Verdict: The product called "Solution finish" works. It's not a miracle, but it sure as heck beats the gray zebra bumpers.

I still have so much to do, but every little victory counts.

Looking good! Glad the Solution Finish is working out. Considering that your trim was almost white, it came out looking pretty great.

+1 for leaving the wind deflector off. I'd rather look at the scuffed roof than that thing, but it's your car of course.

Keep up the good work!
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Another day, another dollar.

Today I drove to a local shop (never been here before) that has the ability to read and reset SRS codes (Some previous owner disconnected the driver's seat belt without disconnecting the battery). Good news! They cleared the code and everything checked out. I paid $50 for the service and then spent a few mins talking with the shop manager. Cool shop. Now a viable option to save $50 would be to pull the SRS bulb, but that is not my style. Everything should operate as intended and so it shall.

NO LIGHTS ON DASH!!!

After work I found a little more energy to tackle another stage of detailing. I began to work on the driver's side (since I have to look at it more haha). Here is a little preview.

Before

After

This paint is really gorgeous when its cleaned up.

Now, I need suggestions. What should I do about this trim? Sand and polish? Plastidip? Replace? (Still available?)

Tomorrow I'll attempt to finish the passengers side and then detail the trim. Remember, I am doing a basic (rushed) clay, polish, wax just to get the car cleaned up and protect the paint to buy some time while I work on the out of sight areas.

Final suspension components should be here Friday so I am excited to finally get it handling properly.

I have an Autel EU702 for my SRS and ABS stuff, but I used the OBDII app for the SRI light and other scans. It's like $3.00, maybe.

On the trim, I got lucky and found a good set for my 854 in the yard, but I think we're just going to PlastiDip the ones on the wife's 855. They had already been stripped/painted/sanded by the time we got the car.

Following. Such a good find! And I really like the way titans look on a platinum.
      1996 855R Bright Red/Charcoal. Volans. 130k
      2000 V70R Emerald Green/Two-Tone. Anthracite Satellites. 147k
      1995 854 T-5R Gul Yellow/Charcoal. N/A. 145k
      Past: 1998 S70 T5 nautic blue/charcoal, 1998 V70R black/charcoal, 1995 854 T-5R black/charcoal, 1984 240 DL blue/blue

Great job! Keep taking little bites on the detailing and you'll have a gem. As far as the trim goes the previous owner had removed all the flaking bits and the aluminum is exposed - which looks good too. I just polish it up and it looks good. Others have masked off the car and painted them with trim paint or plastidip. Other's have replaced them altogether with the S70 trim which does a better job of channeling the water away from the sides.

Here's an up close image of what I was describing...

20150103_160924.jpg

Hello everyone!

My 850 has been running like a top! I finished up the basic polish and wax but I haven't taken any "glamour" shots due to rainfall. I'll be sure to break out my nice camera (not a phone) and find a nice location for some photos. However here is a quick snap I took with my phone.

I have big plans this weekend. If everything goes like I want it to, I will have a rebuilt front suspension and new wheels and tires. I am picking up a set of Volans, so these Titans might possibly be up for sale soon. Chime in if any of you are interested.

Still have some parts to accumulate but they are stacking up!

Nice, looking shiny

Which Bilsteins you got hiding in those boxes?

I'd send those Meyle rotors back asap. My dad tried those. HORRIBLE. Supposedly the Meyle sway bar end links are somehow not total shiit but I still don't trust them and use Lemforder. Lemforder also have a T30 socket in the end so you can actually assemble/disassemble them......

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Nice, looking shiny

Which Bilsteins you got hiding in those boxes?

I'd send those Meyle rotors back asap. My dad tried those. HORRIBLE. Supposedly the Meyle sway bar end links are somehow not total shiit but I still don't trust them and use Lemforder. Lemforder also have a T30 socket in the end so you can actually assemble/disassemble them......
      1. The shocks are HDs
      2. They aren't rotors, those are lower control arms. If you look below, I have a set of Spec 37 rotors that I'm using for a BBK I am making.
      3. They are all marked (made in Germany) so I suppose the quality is decent.

1. The shocks are HDs
      Nice. You're somewhere in the south, right? Those should be fun there. I had them in my T-5R when I got it and they were bad for New England but then I rode in a 850 with them in the Netherlands and I thought they were pretty great.

2. They aren't rotors, those are lower control arms. If you look below, I have a set of Spec 37 rotors that I'm using for a BBK I am making.
      Haven't heard great things about those, either. They don't last at least up north. What's this BBK you are building?

3. They are all marked (made in Germany) so I suppose the quality is decent.
      One would hope.......

I would like to remove it however, the paint has been damaged from it being on for so long and never being cleaned.
      I'd go ahead and get rid of it, it's just going to keep getting worse the longer it's on there.

I'm not worried about how the shocks are going to handle as of now. I'm going to put them on the car, take notes, and then re-valve them if I want to make a change. I'll most likely trim the internal bump stops in preparation for a different spring as well. Is there a master list of spring rates for aftermarket springs or will I have to contact each company?

WARNING NOT 850 CONTENT

The brake kit I am fabricating is for my E30.

I drew up the rotor hats in FusionWorks and had my CNC guy "cut" them out of a block of aluminum.

Alright, I'll refrain from bringing my BMWness back in here.

Some companies won't even give you spring rates. I'd start with H&R and go from there.

Those brakes look sweet. Assuming you've done the necessary engineering on them as well?

Also randomly stumbled across this today.....I guess the Meyle LCAs do last longer outside of New England....

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      All I can say is don't get the Meyle HD ones. Mine tore the rubber out in under 20k miles. Suddenly my steering had like 15 degrees of play in it between being on and off the gas. Popped each ball joint loose and the arms fell right to the ground. FCP honored their lifetime warranty and even let me exchange for OEM arms (plus cost difference).

I have the Bilstein HD shocks in my wagon paired with sport springs. The previous owner had them installed. Personally I am not a fan of this set up - too stiff. But, some people really prefer that. I have heard that HD's are much better with the stock springs versus a lowering/sport spring set up. My ride only improved once I swapped from 18" to 17" wheels/tires, but only slightly. For my set up there's not a lot of dampening that happens and only exacerbates the hideous rattles these 850's have.

BTW - really nice E30 you have.

My T-5R had HDs and stock green marked springs when I got it. Also unbearable on most New England roads. One of my shock towers has some stress cracks in the paint from them. It was nice on super smooth roads.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast