Long time Volvo owner. First time poster. - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      My T-5R had HDs and stock green marked springs when I got it. Also unbearable on most New England roads. One of my shock towers has some stress cracks in the paint from them. It was nice on super smooth roads.
      Pictures of said stress cracks? Roads must be horrendous up there.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Those brakes look sweet. Assuming you've done the necessary engineering on them as well?
      What is there to engineer? The edge distances and material thickness are way overkill for the application strains. If I was trying to remove all the excess weight I could, then I might employ a few software junkies to run a few tests and tell me what I could remove.

Also randomly stumbled across this today.....I guess the Meyle LCAs do last longer outside of New England....

90% of premature failures like that are from incorrect installation. People don't either know about pre-loading bushings or they just don't care. I see it all the time with "OEM" and "lesser-brands" alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson'sWagon View Post
      Pictures of said stress cracks? Roads must be horrendous up there.
      yeah they're pretty bad in some areas. The local roads I travel most have been improving the past year or two but some areas are still really really bad and it's way worse on the other side of Boston from where I am. Fortunately I am able to take public transit to work now so I don't really drive anymore unless I am going on a trip and/or have places to go on the weekend.

Anyway yes there is actually deformation to the shock tower where those cracks are. I can feel it.

Noticed this today. Anyone else ever had this? Should I be OK once I ditch the Bilsteins? I checked the spring seats right after I noticed this and they spring back to their original position as they should.

What is there to engineer? The edge distances and material thickness are way overkill for the application strains. If I was trying to remove all the excess weight I could, then I might employ a few software junkies to run a few tests and tell me what I could remove.
      I have access to FEA so I just tend to use it for everything.....I ran FEA on my temporary building that I am working on my 850R in to like 80mph wind lol (it passed and has seen gusts to at least 70 in reality). But to answer the question mostly I was seeing fewer bolt holes than I'm used to in two piece rotors and the holes looked rather small. But I don't really know anything about E30s and their braking requirements other than they're light cars. Personally I'd want to run the shear calcs on those bolts unless there is existing supporting data available.

90% of premature failures like that are from incorrect installation. People don't either know about pre-loading bushings or they just don't care. I see it all the time with "OEM" and "lesser-brands" alike.
      There's a clear pattern of failure on this platform with Meyle and a lot of other lower quality brands that isn't present with OE quality parts. If you think you can pull some magic out of your toolbox to get 100k out of Meyle HD LCAs then let's queue up the popcorn and see what happens. But I will say that LloyDobbler and ScottishBrick both know what they are doing and both have had the same problem with them.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 136k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Preparations for suspension install are in full affect. While screening through my OTP I forgot about the special socket needed to remove the "cross" nut on the front struts. I tried to rig one up the best I could.

Now to weld an old socket to it...This should work for what I need it to do.

Getting it ready.

The tool looks good, but it's not really needed. At least in the couple of times I've done struts on these things.

With the springs compressed, there isn't a lot of resistance on that star nut. I've just used a smaller adjustable wrench over one of the "arms" of the star to get it loose. I think one time took a minor whack with a hammer. Then it just spins off/on by hand.

I've got some parts showing up for my green car, so I'll be getting to do this as well.
      '97 854 T5 & '97 855 GLT(RN LPT swap/16T/ETC) (wife's)
      '78 264 (Future Whiteblock/T5 swap)

Impressive. but yeah I do the same thing Chuck does

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k.

Suspension is on! New tires and wheels will be here Tuesday. The PO put 235/45/17 tires on and they rub when I corner with any speed so I bought a set of 215/45/17 FIREHAWK INDY 500s for the new set of wheels that are en route. I run summer tires year round and have read/heard good reviews on this model so for the price I figured I'd give it a shot.

Initial response to the Bilstein HDs: Very comfy...too comfy. Steering input feels a lot better but the car could definitely benefit from a higher spring rate and a larger rear sway bar. I'm also really confused why multiple people find the Bilstein shocks raise the car. I measured before and after...not even a eighth of an inch in difference. The real review will be when I have new tires that don't rub and I can drive the car with some purpose.

That's all for now.

Bilstein TCs are the ones I've seen have issues with ride height. A friend had a 98 V70 T5M that came with TCs all around and IPD springs......it was so bad lol looked like he was riding around everywhere with 500lb in the back. Also drove and rode like ass. Eventually he went with H&R all around and replaced the front struts with Sachs and that fixed it. Subsequent inspection of the old front struts revealed the spring seats were at XC height. I believe this is where the issue comes from.

also lol @ 235/45 on a 850.....

Can we get some pictures of your local roads that make Bilstein HDs "too comfy" ?!??!?!??!

I've currently got 235/45's on the T5 (They were lightly-used Dunlop take-offs from a WRX that cost me $100 for the set). They're a bit big, but only rub at lock, really.

My car isn't super low though. I don't plan on slamming it, however.

Can we get some pictures of your local roads that make Bilstein HDs "too comfy" ?!??!?!??!
      I'm sure all you northerners are jealous of my year round summer tires and smooth asphalt. Just playing. I'll be sure to get some snaps. However, "comfy" is relative when I also have an E30 with solid bushings, Bilstein HDs, and Race springs. Most all of my cars have/had a "stiff" suspension because I enjoy having a tight handling car. But with this car I plan to skip the extreme spring rates and focus more on looks and ride quality (still needs a slightly higher rate to fit my liking)

I'm sure all you northerners are jealous of my year round summer tires and smooth asphalt. Just playing. I'll be sure to get some snaps. However, "comfy" is relative when I also have an E30 with solid bushings, Bilstein HDs, and Race springs. Most all of my cars have/had a "stiff" suspension because I enjoy having a tight handling car. But with this car I plan to skip the extreme spring rates and focus more on looks and ride quality (still needs a slightly higher rate to fit my liking)
      Are you running stock springs now? I'd personally really like H&R for lowering springs. Those combined with the HDs might be along the lines of what you are looking for.....or at least worth a shot given that H&R are pretty cheap. Around here we run H&R with stock shocks; we have to have compliant suspension to be able to carry speed over road surface imperfections lol, and that's turned out to be an amazing compromise.

Are you running stock springs now? I'd personally really like H&R for lowering springs. Those combined with the HDs might be along the lines of what you are looking for.....or at least worth a shot given that H&R are pretty cheap. Around here we run H&R with stock shocks; we have to have compliant suspension to be able to carry speed over road surface imperfections lol, and that's turned out to be an amazing compromise.
      I am on stock springs right now. I couldn't make a decision on what springs to order. I also found both axle's boots were destroyed at some point in the past so the suspension will have to go back under the knife some time soon. I have a lead on a set of KW V2 coil overs for sale here locally but I really don't want to go that route with this car. If anyone is interested though, let me know if you want them.

Wheels came in today. They aren't 100% perfect but neither is the car so I am more than satisfied.

Here they are with the new tires (Firestone Firehawk 500 215/45/17) mounted.

I found this damage when I was replacing the suspension. Previous owner's choice of tire size did a number on the inboard fender wall. Now that the tire is no longer going to touch, I plan on properly treating the bare metal and coat it with the appropriate undercarriage coating. Perhaps I will look for a new fender liner at the junkyard.

Mounted!

Went for a drive to scuff the new tires up a little and shakedown the new suspension setup. I took it up and down the "Mountains" here in a spirited fashion. I really like this car.

And I got a glimpse of the roads here for you JaredR.

Car looks amazing.

Quick tip to make those rear stone guards to look more presentable. Clean them by using Mr. Clean Automotive sponge and you see the wonders it will do. They will be almost back to being clear again.
      Volvoless in Seattle ..........

Quote Originally Posted by TG850T5R View Post
      Car looks amazing.

Quick tip to make those rear stone guards to look more presentable. Clean them by using Mr. Clean Automotive sponge and you see the wonders it will do. They will be almost back to being clear again.
      Thank You! I'd like to think I am doing it justice after its 7 year slumber in a guy's yard.

I would really like to completely replace them but I haven't figured out the best way to remove them. I'll give suggestion a try for the moment, thanks.

I think they're called Magic Erasers or something. Honestly - this is looking great, and what an improvement with the Volans!
      Thank You! I'd like to think I am doing it justice after its 7 year slumber in a guy's yard.

I would really like to completely replace them but I haven't figured out the best way to remove them. I'll give suggestion a try for the moment, thanks.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Your shop? What's up with the Civic shell on the rack?
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

The shop is where I work. It's a fabrication/weld/machine/race shop.

The civic belongs to the owner...that's where he likes to park it. Lol. Nice and out of the way.

Nice, man. Nice indeed.
      The shop is where I work. It's a fabrication/weld/machine/race shop.

215s will still rub. Get c70 steering stops and rivet them on the control arms or make your own stand offs and you’ll be set
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 293k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

You totally are and it looks amazing.

I would honestly get them replaced by a professional installer. Since they have been on the car for 25 years they will be pain to get off and a shop that installs paint protection films will have those cuts on their files along with the ones on the edges of the trunk. This is on my to do list for my 850.

But for the time being, I have tried the magic eraser and it cleaned them up very well to a point, you really cant tell they are there until you get close.
      Volvoless in Seattle ..........

If it has been documented, I couldn't find it via the search function. I only found 2 threads discussing FCP vs IPD kits. One thread even states that the IPD was a great option. If you could, attach a link to were it is documented.

Thank you for your suggestions.
      I just changed my current ipd pcv because of premature failure went back to oem so we shall see

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
      ~~~ 1996 Volvo 850 Platinum ~~~

Also I'm loving this beauty if you ever want to sell it I would be interested! Especially with that kind of mileage.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
      ~~~ 1996 Volvo 850 Platinum ~~~

Well, the alignment didn't go as planned... Instead of getting my toe dialed in, I found a problem that has put the car back in the garage until I fix it.

While aligning the passenger front wheel I noticed about a 1/4 inch of travel (toe in/toe out) without adjusting anything. I could grab the wheel and shake it back and forth (picture me as a Rockem Sockem Robot). This is a new problem because it wasn't the case when I was installing the suspension. After further inspection the inner tie rod is trashed and my rack is cracked! I thought my slight leak was coming from a degraded seal. Nope! A nice crack. How this happens is beyond me.

Ordered a rack last night. What else should I plan on doing while I have the sub frame lowered?

Im kind of bummed but this is just another thing I won't have to worry about after it's finished.

Sway bar bushings and Delrin subframe bushings. For a street car I would keep the stock front sway bar. Upgrade the rear if you have the 17mm or whatever the base sedan rear sway is....just make it neutral and move along, my dad and I upgraded just the rear sway in his 99 NA and it's perfectly neutral now.....come into a corner too hot and let off mid corner and the whole car slides perfectly neutral, it's fantastic. Maybe drop the oil pan and refresh the pickup seals since it's a bit easier without a subframe in the way. How about engine mounts since you gotta disconnect them anyway. I'd recommend getting a genuine Volvo lower right mount since there doesn't seem to be anyone offering a decent alternative there. And when that mount goes bad it's REALLY bad, whole engine goes crooked and the axles start shaking like crazy. Had that happen in my old white 850R I had for a few months.

What rack did you order? I got a TRW branded reman rack from FCP for my 850R and the quality looks pretty disappointing (and was a SMI rack on top of that) but none of the other options seemed better so I'm gonna run it and see what happens.

My 215/45 PZero AS+ don't rub on my T-5R. Depends on the tire. It's not a fat sidewall profile on those. I'll report back when my 850s finally get around to going down the Nokian rabbit hole.

Glad to know I have another use for Magic erasers. I've started buying them by the hundred (for $4 shipped!!!) on Amazon. Although beware if you buy magic erasers by the hundred they may start disappearing if you don't hide them....my mom saw them and was like dafuq is this bag of white things and at $4/100 I was like here try a few and then about 2/3 of them disappeared............LOL

I ordered my rack from Rack Doctor. I've used him when i needed a rack for my E30. He was highly recommended by the community over on R3V and I have been very pleased with it so far. It's just a quality re-manufactured rack built in South Carolina.

Cool, I'll be interested to see how that rack works out.

Here are the subrfame bushings you want https://www.bneshop.com/products/awd...frame-bushings
      These are the thing to do if you do nothing else while the subframe is out of the car. SO easy to do out of the car....just grab a bfh and wack the old ones out, flip subframe, beat on new ones till they pop in. No crazy tools or hacks or swearing required.

Between that and the fresh rack it'll completely transform the steering. Yes they really do make that big a difference.

Forgot to ask previously....are you doing the alingment yourself? Looked like you had the string set up and were ready to go on the floor there. Jealous of the flat floor lol.

Definitely following this thread. I hate doing things twice, but I picked up a ‘98 S70 base super cheap with a leaking rack and need to get it to pass VA safety inspection ASAP. Replacing torn rack boots (and inner/outer tie rods) this morning, hoping the leak has minimized enough by now to stay in the new boots until it passes inspection. Will deal with the rack later this fall when I have more time/kids are back in their various schools and don’t need to be driving the other cars.

This thing’s never going to see stage 0 again so trying to minimize costs. What did Rack Doctor’s reman run you?

BD

1998 S70 GL, 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60. 2.5T FWD RIP)
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

You can also do the subframe bushings in the car. The stock bushing shells are plastic, and a cut through them with a reciprocating saw, or just a hand saw, will get them out pretty quick.

There is an in-car installation tool available with those that allows you to just use the bolt to draw the delrin ones into place.

The kit I picked up has the install tool, but you could probably come up with a similar substitute if you just wanted to make something.

Forgot to ask previously....are you doing the alingment yourself? Looked like you had the string set up and were ready to go on the floor there. Jealous of the flat floor lol.
      I am doing the alignment myself. We have digital scales (for corner weight balancing), toe plates, camber gauges, and a few other tools like laser levels that help us setup cars for the track.

I am doing the alignment myself. We have digital scales (for corner weight balancing), toe plates, camber gauges, and a few other tools like laser levels that help us setup cars for the track.
      That's awesome. I would probably do the same thing if I had anywhere with a flat floor lol. I go to the dealer now; they do a good job and give me the specs I want, but by the time I add the value of my time sitting and waiting plus the cost of paying them, it'd probably be more cost effective to do it myself.

What a task!

Finally had a weekend that wasn't slated for (insert generic boring adult life event here). My order from Rack Dr. came in as well as my delrin sub-frame bushings. I hold a level of respect for people that can manage to do this on their own. I had my father come up to visit and he offered more than a hand when it came to lowering and raising the sub-frame. Thankfully everything came apart easily (southern car). On to pictures. I didn't take too many because my hands were covered in dirt and we were hustling to finish it in one day.

Originally we had the engine and trans suspended with ratchet straps but as time progressed we replaced them with a length of chain. I HIGHLY suggest using a chain instead of straps. It was a dumb idea at the time.

All out! Now to clean it up!

All washed up. and bushings were knocked out with a hammer.

Mmmmmmm Delrin!

Right before the final install.

All buttoned up and drove it to the shop for an alignment.

The only concern I have about the whole process was the bleeding of the power steering. I feel like I still have air in the system (shuttering action). It has gotten better with driving but the shudder still remains.

Broken Bar!

Lately things have been pretty nice with the 850. I'm getting around 21-22mpg combined and I really enjoy the A/C in this stop and go traffic. However, I have discovered a failure I have never had experience with on other platforms. The rear sway bar is broken.

From what little research I have done on this. I found several cases online where an 850 had a broken rear sway in the same spot. Strange. So I did what I always do, how can I makes this better. First, I needed an unbroken bar since mine was all distorted and broken of course. I picked one up at the junkyard for $18.

Now that I've got a bar, I need to make a jig to map out the dimensions for a new one. I grabbed some scrap steel and started piecing it together.

Seeing as how you can't make improvements unless you have proof. I needed to get a baseline measurement for the stock sway bar. To do this, I blasted the bar off and welded a nut to the end.

And then attached it to the fixture I made and C-clamped it to the fab table.

And then this is where I failed.

I put an angle finder on my torque wrench and measured how much load it would take to rotate 10 degrees. I got my number but I don't think my assumption on how this bar works is correct. I need to do further research on the delta link design and understand it further before I can calculate what size bar to make.

To be continued....

Are you trying to figure out what size to make the actual sway bar part or some other part? We know from experience what size rear sway bar is needed on these cars. Just this morning I was out driving my dad's NA on a dirt road and was having no trouble sliding it around at all. Perfectly neutral and controllable, even for someone like myself who doesn't often push the limits of grip nearly that hard.

I will be building a new bar. What size bar are you talking about?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast