What changes can I expect if I change from 18” to 20” wheels and tires?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My dealer is offering me a spectacular deal if I change from my standard Momentum 18" 5 Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels and move to the upgraded 20" 5 Spoke Matte Tech Black Alloy Wheels. Do you all have any input on what I can expect wrt ride or anything else from making this change?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      My dealer is offering me a spectacular deal if I change from my standard Momentum 18" 5 Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels and move to the upgraded 20" 5 Spoke Matte Tech Black Alloy Wheels. Do you all have any input on what I can expect wrt ride or anything else from making this change?

Thanks in advance.

The best advice to is drive another car with same wheel on different road pavements and see the difference. The 18" will be more comfortable.

18 will also be easier to mount snow chains in snowing days.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by orcking View Post
      The best advice to is drive another car with same wheel on different road pavements and see the difference. The 18" will be more comfortable.
      What are the benefits of larger wheels? I imagine there will perhaps be less sway and body roll on turns and curves?

OTOH the ride might be a bit rougher but will either be particularly louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by chillg8r; 06-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Performance and handling go up with a larger rim and low profile tires... sacrificing comfort. However the 20” momentum wheel still has a lot of sidewall. So I think itll be the perfect balance between performance and comfort.

2016 XC90 R-design T6 | Osmium Grey, Vision, Convenience, Climate + HUD, Air Suspension, B/W, 22"s | DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia)

Quote Originally Posted by sebynum View Post
      Performance and handling go up with a larger rim and low profile tires... sacrificing comfort. However the 20” momentum wheel still has a lot of sidewall. So I think itll be the perfect balance between performance and comfort.

I imagine that a lot of people here have the 20” wheels that Im looking at, especially since Inscriptions come standard with them. They can’t be a bad choice or Volvo wouldn’t offer that?

I'd totally stick w/ the 18s". Must be cushier, cheaper to replace, cheaper snow chains, etc. Maybe buy the 20's and resell them?

I switched to 20's from 18's on my wifes 2016 and we really can't tell a difference in ride quality. The stance is sharper and the speedo is dead on.

20s on the XC90 are not aggresive at all. Standard on all R-Designs and Inscription models. Please don’t listen to lames who say a smaller wheel is better, with a huge inner tube type tire.

The diamond cut 20” wheel/tire is perfect for the Momentum trim.

2016 XC90 R-design T6 | Osmium Grey, Vision, Convenience, Climate + HUD, Air Suspension, B/W, 22"s | DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia)

20s on the XC90 are not aggresive at all. Standard on all R-Designs and Inscription models. Please don’t listen to lames who say a smaller wheel is better, with a huge inner tube type tire.

The diamond cut 20” wheel/tire is perfect for the Momentum trim.

Couldn't have said it better !

What I really dont like is the look of tiny brake rotors with large wheels, but this can be mitigated by having a larger face on the wheel, but the brakes on the XC90 are fairly big so it looks alright even with 22s, especially if you have a T8

They look so good!!!!!!!!! I gotta do it!!

My car now:

How it will look with the new wheels:

They look so good!!!!!!!!! I gotta do it!!

My car now:

How it will look with the new wheels:

Yup, thats the wheel for you.

that's a cute combination of ad hom attack and just another opinion, which, like aholes, are readily avail just like these 20, which I have on my momentum.

My "opinion" is 20s give the XC a harsher ride like just like your equally lame thinking that a 6000 lb truck has any semblance of performance and handling. What is it performing? Chicane on the way to drop off the kids? Cornering through your local cloverleaf interchange? GTF outta here.

OP, I'll take your 18s for $400 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post

I’m sure you’ll take free wheels!

I am open to serious offers though.....they are in NC if anyone is interested.

Probably the most important difference appears if you go off-road. When offroading wheels are the most important thing. The low profile of 20" renders the car unable to deal with any slight difficulty, no matter the AWD, car height, etc.

Why does anybody buy a SUV that cannot be taken out of the tarmac? If you want "performance" a SUV is not the car, and Volvo is not the make.

No brainer ... do it.
      05 V70 2.5T Sport Edition, Hilton Tune Stage 1, IPD front strut mount, CX Racing coilovers, 5mm front/10mm rear spacers - current baby.
      98 V70R AWD - Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered on Vogtland with Bilstein Touring, SOLD
      05 V70 2.5T AWD - No mods, got tired of the high rear end sticking up. SOLD
      98 V70 AWD - lowered on TME springs, Koni, IPD ECU, Volvo Dual Exhaust ... RIP
      Summer play vehicle - 09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      that's a cute combination of ad hom attack and just another opinion, which, like aholes, are readily avail just like these 20, which I have on my momentum.

My "opinion" is 20s give the XC a harsher ride like just like your equally lame thinking that a 6000 lb truck has any semblance of performance and handling. What is it performing? Chicane on the way to drop off the kids? Cornering through your local cloverleaf interchange? GTF outta here.

Lil boy, I ride on air suspension with 22s. Its not my fault that you don’t understand the difference in performance of a 22” wheel with an adjustable air suspension versus a 18” wheel on a leaf spring suspension. That “performance” you lame! Throw a rock in a pack of dogs and one will yelp.

Funny you exposed yourself to be goofy af. Smh

Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
      Probably the most important difference appears if you go off-road. When offroading wheels are the most important thing. The low profile of 20" renders the car unable to deal with any slight difficulty, no matter the AWD, car height, etc.

Why does anybody buy a SUV that cannot be taken out of the tarmac? If you want "performance" a SUV is not the car, and Volvo is not the make.
      We bought our XC90 because it is a work vehicle that allows us to fit our furniture samples in the back while still being a comfortable vehicle on our long drives. We often need to go on 3-5 hour drives. The seats are the best in the business and the B&W system is one of the best. We don’t go off road and we live in NC so chains or snow tires are not an issue.

While we don’t expect it to be a performance vehicle if we can minimize body roll on turns and curves, cloverleafs etc, we’d be happy. For everyday driving we prefer our new S60 or our small convertible.

I think one of the strengths of the XC90 is that one can go off road if that is their need or you can simply use it as a luxury vehicle with a lot of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post

Who tf is off roading in a XC90? In my years on this forum, I’ve never seen a serious post or any questions about off roading a XC90.

You drive a Rubicon off road, not a Volvo XC90. Seriously

Coming from 18''or 19''wheels to 20'', you can for sure expect quite higher road noise ...
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

Quote Originally Posted by Ivos View Post
      Coming from 18''or 19''wheels to 20'', you can for sure expect quite higher road noise ...
      So the R's and Inscriptions must either have more sound deadening than a Momentum or they are much louder? Hard to believe either of those are true?

Last edited by chillg8r; 06-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivos View Post
      Disagree

I went from stock 18s to stock 21s and have zero regrets. Car looks amazing and drive is not that much different

2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
      Disagree

I went from stock 18s to stock 21s and have zero regrets. Car looks amazing and drive is not that much different

Thanks. I have an appointment for tomorrow morning.

Yup, thats the wheel for you.

Very nice wheels, it looks like you have plenty of sidewall on the tires.

I have the Diamond-Cut 20" wheels on my Momentum+ and I really like the look. The Pirelli Scorpions are a bit noisy, but the ride is fine.

Attachment 52079
      2016 XC90 Momentum+ , Luminous Sand/Blonde, 20-inch 5-Double Spoke Matt Tech Black Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels

Disagree

This guy knows what he’s doing! Beautiful

What are the benefits of larger wheels? I imagine there will perhaps be less sway and body roll on turns and curves?
      Looks like you've made your decision.

Fwiw;
      Body roll shouldn't be affected by sidewall height, that is mostly taken up by the anti-roll bar in conventional suspensions. A very tall sidewall (i.e. low diameter wheel for the same overall tire diameter) may flex more, but that won't be meaningful under most conditions. For high performance vehicles, sidewall flex may make cornering feel a bit more vague, hence a short sidewall benefits high performance vehicles.

p.s. I didn't know there was an 18" from the factory.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

So the R's and Inscriptions must either have more sound deadening than a Momentum or they are much louder? Hard to believe either of those are true?

The same tyres starting from 20'' are naturally louder than 18''or 19'' because they are broader - higher road resistance = elementary physics (and the direct experience too)
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

Baby has new shoes! FWIW, it drives great and doesn't seem to drive measurably different than with the old wheels but it's hard to compare with something form 2 years ago. It's certainly better in every way than tires with 33,000 miles on them!!! So far I couldn't be happier. Thanks for all of your input.

Baby has new shoes! FWIW, it drives great and doesn't seem to drive measurably different than with the old wheels but it's hard to compare with something form 2 years ago. It's certainly better in every way than tires with 33,000 miles on them!!! So far I couldn't be happier. Thanks for all of your input.

Looks great 👍🏻

(and nice moose)
      On order: 2020 S60 Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

Beautiful

Thanks!

Stunning transformation. Gorgeous!
      Disagree
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

The upgrade from 18 to 20 looks awesome. Congrats!

I have a '16 with the same 18" Momentum 5 spoke wheels and considering buying 20" wheels/tires off someone (Brand new take-offs from a '19 XC90)

However I understand that TPMS is handled differently on the '16 model year than the later years ... any truth to this?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast