Wagon Boiz's Flame Orange '11 C30 T5 R Design
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Wagon Boiz's Flame Orange '11 C30 T5 R Design

FULL GALLERY

Well, I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse and sold the ‘07 V70 I had restored, so on to the next Volvo! The C30 has peaked my interest for awhile, ever since the trip to pick up my buddy’s ‘09 and drive it down from Spokane, WA to Los Angeles, CA. Another friend (his ‘07 S60 R can be seen behind mine), spotted this C30 on Craigslist just a few days before I was flying up to SF to buy one. At only 50k miles, with a Polestar tune, and brand new suspension (LA roads) my decision was made. I’ve had her for a couple weeks now, and it’s absolutely my favorite Volvo yet. Even the color is growing on me!

Unlike my last Volvo, there isn’t much to be done here. She’s in immaculate condition inside and out, so it’s really just extras.

So far I have:
      • Installed a GROM unit for native Bluetooth media streaming
      • Replaced the carpet mats with OEM rubber ones
      • Replaced the front R design badge and rear polestar/r design badges (faded)
      • Installed a ProClip tablet mount and Huawei Mediapad M5 as an Android Auto interface (more on this below)

Future plans:
      • Replacing the carbon fiber interior trim with this aluminum styling from IPD
      • Adding OEM roof bars
      • Possibly rebadging
      • My office is next to Wilwood so I'm probably going to get some of their brakes
      Last edited by WagonBoiz; 06-12-2019 at 01:28 PM.
      2011 Volvo C30 T5 R Design (Polestar Tuned) Flame Orange Metallic/Charcoal

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In order to have the best experience with a car tablet I've done a little tweaking with Tasker to streamline the process.

Here's basically how it works:
      My phone is paired to the built in Bluetooth car phone. The tablet is paired to the GROM unit. When the car starts the phone pairs and executes two Tasker scripts enabling the hotspot and disabling the Google Assistant (so when I talk to the tablet while driving, the phone doesn't respond as well.) I leave my phone charging in the center console. Meanwhile the tablet has paired to the GROM unit, and is woken and unlocked using Google's "trusted devices" security setting. It then auto launches Android Auto since it is paired to the car and connects to the wifi-hotspot my phone has automatically started.

It's a painless setup with no plugging in, unlocking or launching of apps and provides a much better Android auto experience then the poor specs of a head unit. There are few other options for the C30 and this really has worked out. I'd be happy to answer questions or help anyone get a similar setup going! I can even export my Tasker scripts for your use.

The mount and holder are made by ProClip and are leagues ahead of any car mount I've used before. No wiggle or wobble despite the bumpiest of SoCal roads. No falling down because it gets hot and no sag under weight. It feels like part of the car.

s2Sep0b.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by WagonBoiz; 06-11-2019 at 11:26 AM.

"Growing on you"?! It's a great color! Congrats!

Also, that setup seems pretty slick.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Nice car!

If you investigate Wilwood brakes, look carefully at the swept area the pads cover relative to the chosen rotor size (no point doing it unless larger rotors are the goal). Kits I've seen in the past have less coverage than Brembo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
      Nice car!

If you investigate Wilwood brakes, look carefully at the swept area the pads cover relative to the chosen rotor size (no point doing it unless larger rotors are the goal). Kits I've seen in the past have less coverage than Brembo, etc.
      Noted!

Nice! She’s a beauty. That Orange is awesome.

Hows the airflow with the tablet infront of the two center vents? I feel I need those to blasting at max speeds when the bay is on fire again.
      2009 C30 T5 RD - Black/Black AW55

Quote Originally Posted by wouterlucas View Post
      Nice! She’s a beauty. That Orange is awesome.

Hows the airflow with the tablet infront of the two center vents? I feel I need those to blasting at max speeds when the bay is on fire again.
      Airflow seems fine so far. Have it angled out to the sides and up. Not a big AC guy (SoCal is just too nice) but I guarantee it will matter when the santa anas come through. Hopefully it holds up!

Replaced carbon fiber wrap interior trim with the aluminum trim kit, replaced lock pins with IPD silver R pins, added some moose!

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
      Last edited by WagonBoiz; 06-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Nice car, but I'm a bit biased

Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 06-25-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Some updates on the tablet setup:

Until now the tablet has served as a nice interface for media consumption/navigation in the car, but had no direct relationship to my phone. This meant that I had to keep two separate devices synced with my offline Spotify, Podcast and Audible libraries and do a little handoff dance each time I switched over in the car. This lack of direct pairing between the phone and tablet also meant that I was forced to use the antiquated car phone functionality instead of the much more safe option of "Hey Google. Call X." Being a perfectionist this wasn't good enough.

Enter Head Unit Reloaded or HUR. This is an emulator available on the Google Play store for $4.99 which allows the full headunit version (different from the phone interface you can download and run) of Android Auto to run on any Android device. Once I got this installed on the tablet and properly setup (tweaked settings) I simply start my wifi hotspot (triggered automatically when my phone pairs to the car) and launch the server on my phone (also done automatically). The tablet is set to prefer the hotspot over any other network, and as soon as it connects to the hotspot it launches the HUR emulator in the correct connection mode (WiFi).

Now I have a car tablet with full Android Auto functionality! Instead of having two copies of my media libraries on two separate devices, it just streams over from my phone. Instead of requiring two Bluetooth devices to get full phone functionality, I can now simply talk to the phone through the tablet. Instead of using a scaled up phone interface, I now am using a version of Android Auto which properly uses the entire screen.

(As of 7/2/19 the live version of HUR available for download has some bugs which make running it on a non 16:9 aspect ratio device pretty ugly. I am running a BETA build with some of my proposed changes which fixed all of these aspect ratio issues.)

Future plans:

• I ordered a custom CA plate!
      • I'm looking at custom orange seatbelts.
      • I've ordered roof rails!
      • I'd love any ideas on direct speaker upgrades (instead of finding a Dynaudio system I'd prefer to just put something together myself). Is there a brand or model any of you all like? I'm not a hardcore audiophile, but I'd like a little more clarity.
      • I'm considering doing some minor exhaust work to get a little more noise, just a little. Any ideas there?

Last edited by WagonBoiz; 07-02-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Added cross bars and badges.

Last edited by WagonBoiz; 07-09-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonBoiz View Post
      Some updates on the tablet setup:

Until now the tablet has served as a nice interface for media consumption/navigation in the car, but had no direct relationship to my phone. This meant that I had to keep two separate devices synced with my offline Spotify, Podcast and Audible libraries and do a little handoff dance each time I switched over in the car. This lack of direct pairing between the phone and tablet also meant that I was forced to use the antiquated car phone functionality instead of the much more safe option of "Hey Google. Call X." Being a perfectionist this wasn't good enough.

Enter Head Unit Reloaded or HUR. This is an emulator available on the Google Play store for $4.99 which allows the full headunit version (different from the phone interface you can download and run) of Android Auto to run on any Android device. Once I got this installed on the tablet and properly setup (tweaked settings) I simply start my wifi hotspot (triggered automatically when my phone pairs to the car) and launch the server on my phone (also done automatically). The tablet is set to prefer the hotspot over any other network, and as soon as it connects to the hotspot it launches the HUR emulator in the correct connection mode (WiFi).

Now I have a car tablet with full Android Auto functionality! Instead of having two copies of my media libraries on two separate devices, it just streams over from my phone. Instead of requiring two Bluetooth devices to get full phone functionality, I can now simply talk to the phone through the tablet. Instead of using a scaled up phone interface, I now am using a version of Android Auto which properly uses the entire screen.

(As of 7/2/19 the live version of HUR available for download has some bugs which make running it on a non 16:9 aspect ratio device pretty ugly. I am running a BETA build with some of my proposed changes which fixed all of these aspect ratio issues.)
      You know what, I'm in a '18 Volvo and I always wondered about an AA solution for the older models. Mounting a tablet and using HUR is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Claw View Post
      You know what, I'm in a '18 Volvo and I always wondered about an AA solution for the older models. Mounting a tablet and using HUR is a great idea.
      It's pretty sweet now, but it requires a level of comfort with Android and willingness to tweak and hack your way around to automate everything. It could be about 75% as nice out of the box, just throwing the emulator on and running the server on your phone manually, but going automation all the way is still a doable enthusiast mod!

Finally got my legacy plates!

Last edited by WagonBoiz; 08-29-2019 at 04:17 PM.

I really like that colour. Nice ride!

Quote Originally Posted by thedonochron View Post
      I really like that colour. Nice ride!
      Thanks man! I was really unsure about the color when I got it, but it's nice to have something unique!

Can’t wait to see more and congrats on the new C30

Can’t wait to see more and congrats on the new C30
      Thanks! Your new pimped out C30 Polestar is awesome man! Way more adventurous than mine!

Thanks so much. What’s your next mod your looking to perform?

Thanks so much. What’s your next mod your looking to perform?
      I think it's gonna be a custom steering wheel from Viva Performance. After coming from a great P2 steering wheel I need something a little more interesting.

Nice, I was looking at steering wheels too. I put the brakes on that tho. Carbon fiber wheel?

Nice, I was looking at steering wheels too. I put the brakes on that tho. Carbon fiber wheel?
      Basically they take my R-Design wheel and completely rework the leather on it. I'm thinking something like this, but on my P1 wheel.

s60r-v70r-steering-wheel-upgrade-4__50473.1560192090.1280.1280.jpg
      Last edited by WagonBoiz; 08-31-2019 at 03:38 PM.

That sounds pretty wicked. Definitely can’t wait to see what you come up with

Glamor shot this extra foggy morning. Featuring a very dirty car, the lovely orange field behind the office and the Santa Monica mountains.

Last edited by WagonBoiz; 09-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Wagonboiz, let me know if/when you are interested in selling it.
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
      Don't tempt me! But for real, I definitely can reach out if my heart starts to wander again.

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
      I've got an 08 R Design in red, automatic that the wife and I have decided to sell this spring. I think it has about 75K on it last time I drove it. Sorry to jack the thread....just a heads up in case you're interested.
      2013 XC60 T6: her's
      2008 C30: her first Volvo
      2007 XC70 Adventure: mine
      2002 S60 T5M: because it needed to be saved
      Past: 1999 V70 5sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2000 Audi A4 Avant 5sp, 1990 VW Fox 4sp

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements