Prospective Volvo owner w/ a few questions - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      IPD does not understand how to paint metal surfaces. Paint will chip off within a year.

Also V70R sway bar is cheaper.

Driving R bar with regular shocks will be... harsh. I later converted my XC70 to Nivomats, it feels and handles very good now.
      Bleh. V70R it is, although I may have to wait until I’m back in the Northeast — won’t be much functionality in the trashed roads in Louisiana.

Nivomats are the self-leveling shocks right? Any easy way to tell if I’ve got them on my car?
      '06 XC70 Ocean Race 426/500

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goswamir View Post
      Nivomats are the self-leveling shocks right? Any easy way to tell if I’ve got them on my car?
      Shock vs Nivomat:

22mm V70R Volvo Bar is PN 8672168.

Photo credit to vtl from 2018

The XC is so soft the only thing you'll notice is that the ass end doesnt fall over in corners now. Makes a neutral chassis and can be driveway installed in about an hour and a half by yourself.

By far the best band for the buck XC upgrade for handling. Followed closely by delrin front subframe bushings.
      Last edited by ScottishBrick; 05-28-2020 at 10:33 PM.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Drove back down to CT today to pick up the majority of my stuff and get it packed away. One last night in New England before I head on down. It's a daunting proposition, I'm not going to lie -- 1,400 miles, stopping in Chapel Hill and Atlanta. Never done a road trip this long solo before. Can't wait to see parts of the country I've never explored on the ground, but also a little overwhelmed!

On a cooler note, I saw my 4th ORXC on the road today coming down from Danbury Airport. The first one I ever noticed in the area was at a buddies hockey game, and a year later it's a little hilariously awesome to me to know that there are 5! (if not more) in the Fairfield County area.

Drove back down to CT today to pick up the majority of my stuff and get it packed away. One last night in New England before I head on down. It's a daunting proposition, I'm not going to lie -- 1,400 miles, stopping in Chapel Hill and Atlanta. Never done a road trip this long solo before. Can't wait to see parts of the country I've never explored on the ground, but also a little overwhelmed!
      Roadtrips are always a neat way to see the country. Stop along the way at anything that looks interesting or peaks your curiosity. You'll often find some cool places off the beat and path. GPS / Google Maps helps, too....I recently just tossed road atlas map from a RoadTrip I did about 17 or so years ago...Yes, smart phones weren't there to navigate us around town...Didn't have a GPS. Good old getting lost and asking for directions...Since I suck at navigating, YAY for GPS's....Booo no technolgy.

I suggest googling before you leave to see if there are any must see stops along the route you're taking.

Made it across in 3 days and the protests were following me down all the way. (Appreciated the email I got from FCPEuro today, as a side note). Around 1,400 miles and not a hitch. I didn't really pull off the highway that much as I was extremely reticent to drive in the dark and I was basically plowing 8 hour shifts solo.

First layover was in Chapel Hill, where social distancing was at best a suggestion. Ordered dinner and promptly passed out. Got on the road at 6am and arrived in Atlanta by 2pm.

My hotel was, of course, literally two blocks away from CNN Center, and seeing the shattered state of another hotel next door on the news was enough to terrify my girlfriend, her mother and my mother into making me stay with my girlfriend's family in Marietta. I will say that what I saw in the city was quite peaceful during the day, enough so that beyond normal ATL traffic there was nothing amiss on the road or by the hotel.

My ONLY photo on the road was of the Peachoid in Gaffney, South Carolina, and some videos on I-85 in Virginia, which was one of the most beautiful highways I've ever driven on. Tree-lined and empty, it was just so serene to drive.

From Atlanta I made it to New Orleans, stopped for coffee, and moved into my place. That was a week ago, and I've spent that entire time unpacking, assembling and shopping for furniture. I'm reminded of the Calvin & Hobbes strip about ad-libbing "adulthood". When I haven't been doing that, I've been scoping out weekend trips. Several plantations are nearby, but I'm tempted to drive back the way I came and spend a Saturday afternoon in Destin. It's a 4hr drive, so as Phase 2 rolls out throughout the country I'm going to look into it.

Below, the Peachoid.

A slick P80 V70 in New Orleans.

An older Volvo wagon (uncertain about MY or Model) parked a block over.

Some vintage detailing tools I found in a garage.

And finally! I rolled over to 170k on a sidestreet in New Orleans.

From Atlanta I made it to New Orleans, stopped for coffee, and moved into my place. That was a week ago, and I've spent that entire time unpacking, assembling and shopping for furniture. I'm reminded of the Calvin & Hobbes strip about ad-libbing "adulthood". When I haven't been doing that, I've been scoping out weekend trips. Several plantations are nearby, but I'm tempted to drive back the way I came and spend a Saturday afternoon in Destin. It's a 4hr drive, so as Phase 2 rolls out throughout the country I'm going to look into it.

Below, the Peachoid.
      Glad you made it to New Orleans in once piece. Destin has nice white sandy beaches. I visited there back in 2002 with a buddy of mine. Pretty area, at least when I went. Panama City / Destin all within the same vicinity.

Enjoy exploring and glad you had an uneventful drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Glad you made it to New Orleans in once piece. Destin has nice white sandy beaches. I visited there back in 2002 with a buddy of mine. Pretty area, at least when I went. Panama City / Destin all within the same vicinity.

Enjoy exploring and glad you had an uneventful drive.
      Appreciate it!

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2