SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Tomahawk replacement

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  spiked60 
#1 · (Edited)
window lift rail channel replacement

I bought from VP new window lift rail channels and rubber strips to replace my rusty ones in my 142. I removed the old ones but the new one fits very loosely and wont hold the window. is there something else I need to do? I think the rubber strip may be too thin. Thank you

#2 ·
Lift rails - I assume parts #55 and 56?

Text Line art Diagram Auto part Drawing

If so, I can't help on the replacements because mine are original and I never removed them from the glass when I did the restomod because they were well stuck on. Thinking back, they were so well fixed I assumed at the time that they might have been glued.

I suggest measuring the channel opening on the metal piece and comparing it to your original. If they match then you have confirmed that the rubber insert is the problem. If the metal channel measures out too wide, then perhaps the channel has to be crimped a bit to create a tight fit.

#3 ·

View attachment 52177

If so, I can't help on the replacements because mine are original and I never removed them from the glass when I did the restomod because they were well stuck on. Thinking back, they were so well fixed I assumed at the time that they might have been glued.

I suggest measuring the channel opening on the metal piece and comparing it to your original. If they match then you have confirmed that the rubber insert is the problem. If the metal channel measures out too wide, then perhaps the channel has to be crimped a bit to create a tight fit.
Someone in Turbobricks suggested doubling up with inner tubing

#4 ·

View attachment 52177

Yes 55 and 56. Also I cant measure the old channel for it is swollen from the rust.

#6 ·
So, I had to go look.

VP lists part # 320551 as the filler strip for the 140 under the door components page. That is not the part number that is in the Volvo parts manual. The filler strip for the 140 front door in the parts manual for the 140 models up to 1972 is part number 96343 which VP lists for the Volvo 544/210/122. Clearly their web page for the 140 (and perhaps 544) is in error and I would be inclined to make the point with them that since their web page is in error they should cover the cost of the correct piece and the shipping (and the return shipping on the 320551 part if they want it back).

This is one reason I like having a .pdf copy of the Volvo parts manual. I always find the correct part number first and then search by part number.

#7 ·
So, I had to go look.

VP lists part # 320551 as the filler strip for the 140 under the door components page. That is not the part number that is in the Volvo parts manual. The filler strip for the 140 front door in the parts manual for the 140 models up to 1972 is part number 96343 which VP lists for the Volvo 544/210/122. Clearly their web page for the 140 (and perhaps 544) is in error and I would be inclined to make the point with them that since their web page is in error they should cover the cost of the correct piece and the shipping (and the return shipping on the 320551 part if they want it back).

This is one reason I like having a .pdf copy of the Volvo parts manual. I always find the correct part number first and then search by part number.
I love VP, but the maintenance on their sprawling site can be a bit vexing. I don't think it's deliberate, they just don't have enough labour resources to keep ahead of it.

Several months ago when two items listed as in stock turned out to not be in stock I was merely told they don't have them, yet they had direct functional equivalents. So I asked do they have those in stock?

As an aside I joked "I'm hoping this won't turn into the Monty Python 'Cheese Shop' sketch." she got the allusion, but instead of getting a chuckle she wrote back in an annoyed tone.

Ahh well. Hopefully, VP will do right by apico500.

#8 ·
VP agreed to send new filler strips at no cost. They said it was their mistake and will send part # 96343 for the Volvo 544/210/122. However to make it more confusing they also carry part # 1268231 for Volvo 140/164/2/7/900. 142 Guy, how can I download the Volvo parts manual? Also what is the correct grease gun tip for the door hinges?

#9 ·
I got the .pdf parts manuals from the GCP site years ago. They have since changed their site and no longer use the .pdf files - so no longer available. Most of the individual files are smaller than 12 MB, so I can send them to you by email if your email service provider will accept attachments that large. The exception is the file for the body which is over 40 MB and exceeds my file attachment limit.

The other option is that you can set up a Google account for free and that gives you free space on Google Drives. You send me your google ID (I think your gmail name) and an access key and I think I can copy the files to your drive. I think that is how it worked - its been a long time since I used Google Drive.

Something like this is what I use for greasing the pins on the hinges.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-5-oz-chainsaw-grease-gun/A-p8838666e

I know zip about chainsaws so I don't know why they call it a chainsaw grease gun. Make sure the area around the fitting on the hinge is clean and take something like a nail and push the little ball in the fitting to make sure it moves. If the grease in the hinge is 40+ years old the pressure from this style gun may not be high enough to push the ball open and the grease just oozes out around the fitting.

#11 ·
Ironically I just did the same on my 164, ordered the arm (tomahawk seems fitting) and didn't know about the rubberized gasket.

Luckily though mine was extremely tolerant to me using a heat gun and plastic trim tools to remove the window/gasket combo from the broken arm and get seated into the new arm.

So, I lucked out but if I ever have to do it again, will know to order the rubber as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.