S60 T5 FWD on Eco mode ...14MPG city / 15MPG Hwy????
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

c3 S60 T5 FWD on Eco mode ...14MPG city / 15MPG Hwy????

Hi all, a newbie here so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a new Volvo S60 T5 FWD. It is drinking gasoline like a Lamborghini and the dealership isn't sure why (though they suggested break-in period. Is that a real thing? Does the fuel management software need a break-in? How does the engine know to snap out of its gasoline addiction in 1,000 miles? I don't see how this affects any of this).

Has anyone experienced this? I went through a whole tank for 150 miles. I am at 400 miles now and finishing my 2nd tank of gas. The app and the car show 13.9-14.2 MPG in city driving. I mostly use Eco mode and I know how to drive economically. On the highway, I average 15Mpg but went as far as 19Mpg. This is alarming. This car is supposed to give me TWICE as many miles for my gas. On the current 3rd tank I moved to economy 87 and I don't see a significant performance reduction -but the gas mileage is still the same.
      Any idea?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is no such thing as a engine break in as far as fuel economy is concerned. 150 miles in insane. Not to further alarm you but it seems like your car has a serious problem. My very first tank of gas I averaged 27 mpg on mixed highway/city. I usually drive in dynamic mode and have a pretty heavy foot. The lowest I have seen on a tank is 23 and that was when i was on the highway at 80+ mph.

Take your car out on a highway and then swipe left in Sensus and click driver performance. Once you get on the highway, reset it and see what reading you get after about 3-4 miles of highway coasting. It should be 30+ mpg. If you are under 20 mpg, something is way off.

I have a 2019 S60 T5, as well, with Polestar option. Just sharing my numbers. I drive in Dynamic Mode ALL the time and have never used the Start/Stop option. I'm almost at 1200 miles.

Morning school dropoffs - 2.5 miles roundtrip, average 14-15mpg
      Highway drives of over 20 miles, average 20-25mpg

Per the Volvo app, my combined average this far (got the car with 100 miles, now at 1180 miles) is 18.3mpg (using 91 octane gas with 90% city/local driving). And, again, I have a relatively heavy foot and always drive in Dynamic Mode.

I hope they figure out what's going on with your vehicle's fuel consumption.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iratherfly View Post
      I have a new Volvo S60 T5 FWD. It is drinking gasoline like a Lamborghini and the dealership isn't sure why (though they suggested break-in period...I mostly use Eco mode and I know how to drive economically.

These threads remind me of obese folks who claim to eat "normal" caloric counts.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Do you feel anything like brake dragging? Drive a short distance and feel if any wheel or rotor is hotter than others. On freeway 50+ mph, it should be above 25mpg.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Hi all, a newbie here so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a new Volvo S60 T5 FWD. It is drinking gasoline like a Lamborghini and the dealership isn't sure why (though they suggested break-in period. Is that a real thing? Does the fuel management software need a break-in? How does the engine know to snap out of its gasoline addiction in 1,000 miles? I don't see how this affects any of this).

Has anyone experienced this? I went through a whole tank for 150 miles. I am at 400 miles now and finishing my 2nd tank of gas. The app and the car show 13.9-14.2 MPG in city driving. I mostly use Eco mode and I know how to drive economically. On the highway, I average 15Mpg but went as far as 19Mpg. This is alarming. This car is supposed to give me TWICE as many miles for my gas. On the current 3rd tank I moved to economy 87 and I don't see a significant performance reduction -but the gas mileage is still the same.
      Any idea?

I use Premium and your stats are WAY OUT OF WACK.

Non Eco Mode (17 / 18) Gallon tank I easily pull 30 MPG on Highway
      Eco Mode on High easily getting 33-35 MPG

Now if you are doing a LOT of city driving with stop and go traffic, and have auto start / stop disabled, this could really affect your mileage. However, 13.9-14.2 seems very low.

I'd take your car in for a diagnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post

These threads remind me of obese folks who claim to eat "normal" caloric counts.
      Hey now, as a once overweight individual, there are skinny people who eat like crap and whose innards a heart attack waiting to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post

Now if you are doing a LOT of city driving with stop and go traffic, and have auto start / stop disabled, this could really affect your mileage. However, 13.9-14.2 seems very low.

This is my experience as well with our T5. I am averaging 29.7 MPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Hey now, as a once overweight individual, there are skinny people who eat like crap and whose innards a heart attack waiting to happen!
      True, but I'm not trying to debate who has the worst metabolic syndrome - "skinny fat" or obese...just pointing out the ridiculousness of these "I get terrible mileage and it's not my fault" threads.

That'd be like a clinician immediately diagnosing a pituitary disorder when presented with an obese individual. 99% of the time, it's the individual's poor decisions.

If you drive aggressively (in ECO mode or not), you'll get terrible mileage.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

True, but I'm not trying to debate who has the worst metabolic syndrome - "skinny fat" or obese...just pointing out the ridiculousness of these "I get terrible mileage and it's not my fault" threads.

That'd be like a clinician immediately diagnosing a pituitary disorder when presented with an obese individual. 99% of the time, it's the individual's poor decisions.

Driving aggressively would not account for the OP's issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      Driving aggressively would not account for the OP's issue.
      Because the OP says "I know how to drive economically"?

If the fuel management system was dumping excessive fuel, the OP would be complaining about exhaust smoke (white or black) and/or check engine light...not poor fuel economy.

I posted a similar issue a couple months ago, and mostlyy got unhelpful responses about learning how to drive. 2019 T6 XC60...best I can do is about 15.9 strictly city stop and go, and 24 ish highway. At just over 4000 miles now

Agreed...But even if this guy is a stop and go lead food, 13.9 - 14.2 is very poor mileage. Indicative of something wrong. No amount of poor driving should yield this level of mileage on a newer model vehicle. Not unless the OP is taking off like fast and furious at stop lights or idling for hours at a time in stop and go traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by silverV60 View Post
      There is no such thing as a engine break in as far as fuel economy is concerned. 150 miles in insane. Not to further alarm you but it seems like your car has a serious problem. My very first tank of gas I averaged 27 mpg on mixed highway/city. I usually drive in dynamic mode and have a pretty heavy foot. The lowest I have seen on a tank is 23 and that was when i was on the highway at 80+ mph.

Take your car out on a highway and then swipe left in Sensus and click driver performance. Once you get on the highway, reset it and see what reading you get after about 3-4 miles of highway coasting. It should be 30+ mpg. If you are under 20 mpg, something is way off.
      Thank you! I'll do that!

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Do you feel anything like brake dragging? Drive a short distance and feel if any wheel or rotor is hotter than others. On freeway 50+ mph, it should be above 25mpg.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Thank you! - No, breaks feel totally normal. Yes -I would expect it to be around 25-30 mpg. You are confirming my suspicions here...

I will happily do city driving on dynamic mode once I get a sense of my MPG but so far I've been doing about 50% city driving and used Eco mode. I don't even want to know what this will do with Dynamic mode. I will take for diagnostics this week. Totally strange.

I know the XC60 has significantly higher gas mileage than the S60 but still, your gas mileage is totally off the EPA advertised numbers. Did you talk to Volvo about this? I will not keep this car if its fuel consumption is off by 40% from the advertised numbers.

Thanks, MyVolvoS60!
      Lamaguy -I think I described my driving, It's about 50/50 city/hwy on Eco mode. Lightfoot family driving so far. I know it's a subjective term but trust me when I tell you I know how to look at my RPMs, manage my fuel, manage my accelerations to avoid stopping so I have less accelerations, avoid overtaking others or sudden maneuvers, and assure that the car is at optimal power on the right gear when climbing or coasting. I have been driving for over 25 years now and I know the difference. I also know how to drive with heavy foot and street race. This isn't it. I had a 5-series BMW with engine twice as big that consumed far less gas on aggressive driving. I always exceed the EPA numbers by 10% or so. I've never been anywhere close to being 40% below with this type of driving. That's not subjective. This one is off.

Agreed...But even if this guy is a stop and go lead food, 13.9 - 14.2 is very poor mileage. Indicative of something wrong. No amount of poor driving should yield this level of mileage on a newer model vehicle. Not unless the OP is taking off like fast and furious at stop lights or idling for hours at a time in stop and go traffic.

Dude seriously? If you want to take the clinician metaphor, this is like being 6' tall at 175lbs, nonsmoker with healthy nonstationary lifestyle and work, no allergies or drugs, with a 2500 calorie diet of fruits, veggies, grains with modest intake of dairy and animal protein. You show up at the doctor with a heart rate of 160 and the doctor tells you that this is normal because you probably smoke, take steroids and amphetamines, not to mention your out of control 4,500 daily calories of pure sugar, salt, and animal fat.
      I am no doctor but my first instinct would be to give you an aspirin while calling paramedics and put you on an EKG monitor.

When I said I know how to drive economically, I didn't realize I need to take a test drive to prove it to you. You can just assume that I am airing my trouble here because I am seeing an abnormal behavior from a vehicle while my 2 driving remains normal. In the past 25 years, I owned Alfa, Saab, Volvo, Porsche, VW, Honda, and BMW (and drove countless others as rentals and overseas). I know when something doesn't add up.

I went from around 18.3 to between 24 and 27 after a few months in a T6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
      I went from around 18.3 to between 24 and 27 after a few months in a T6 AWD
      OP has a FWD... And even if it were AWD, you can shave a couple miles per gallon but not 30 MPG ---- > 14 MPG.

When I said I know how to drive economically, I didn't realize I need to take a test drive to prove it to you. You can just assume that I am airing my trouble here because I am seeing an abnormal behavior from a vehicle while my 2 driving remains normal. In the past 25 years, I owned Alfa, Saab, Volvo, Porsche, VW, Honda, and BMW (and drove countless others as rentals and overseas). I know when something doesn't add up.
      Long story short is your 2019 has an issue and is under warranty. Take the vehicle in for a diagnostic (scheduled next week) and go from there. I imagine the dealer will need to keep your car a few days to do some driving around. So hopefully they'll throw you into a loaner.

Far as your driving record and cars...Can I get a Doctor's prescription to test drive your past and current fleet of vehicles...You've got some really good taste!
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 06-17-2019 at 10:45 AM.

>>OP has a FWD... And even if it were AWD, you can shave a couple miles per gallon but not 30 MPG ---- > 14 MPG

I. Know. The point is that my MPG increased greatly after the 1st month or so.

Just FWIW, a lot of people don't realize how crappy MPGs are in true city traffic. When this car advertises, say 19MPG in City driving - good luck getting that in stop and go.
      So the only true measure is to get on a highway, reset the trip, set the cruise up for whatever (60 mph should give the best reading) and drive for a bit to see what comes up.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Short trips in heavy traffic will kill mileage in any car, but 14mpg is low even under these conditions. T5 4cyl should be getting at least 18-19mpg in power or comfort mode, as antman above shows. Eco should be higher. I get 26-27mpg with 36mph average, 50/50 driving, and it was not much lower when I first got the car (same engine, earlier model). I would absolutely bring it in and have your dealer figure out what's wrong.

PS. Going from 18 to 27mpg in a T6 AWD within a few months doesn't sound realistic either (pony_trekker), unless driving habits and pattern changed dramatically or something was seriously wrong with the engine in the beginning. Break-in can not explain 50% jump in fuel economy.
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      past:
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      Short trips in heavy traffic will kill mileage in any car, but 14mpg is low even under these conditions. T5 4cyl should be getting at least 18-19mpg in power or comfort mode,

Again, in my experience I got as low as 10 MPG on short city trips. It happens.
      Last edited by rumyn; 06-18-2019 at 12:03 PM.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

My 2005 S60, 2.5 liter turbocharged, 5 cylinder engine, gets between 20 and 24 mpg, driven locally, here in Fort Worth, Texas. I drive carefully to minimize fuel use, but I am not extreme. The car has an automatic transmission. On trips, typically at 70 mph, it gets about 34 mpg. The air conditioner is on 9 months a year, but I usually keep the headlights off when the sun is out, to help keep the battery fully charged.

Try Tire Pressure

I was a little disappointed in the MPG when I got my new S60 T6 2 weeks ago. however, I found out what the problem was. Volvo straight from the dealer evidently tends to put the tire pressure pretty low mine was at 33PSI and I was getting high teens low 20's.

Since the car came equipped with P-Zero All Season Plus i looked up the MAX PSI and dropped it by 6PSI and used Nitrogen to fill the tires to 46PSI in the back and 43PSI in the front.

I am sure Volvo puts in a lower PSI in order to have a softer ride but you will get much better MPG, better grip, and better handling with the higher PSI. Yes, my car is not as comfy over bumps any more but it's more fun to drive and I'm getting 26mpg in the city now, give it a try

Hope this helps!
      Last edited by aaronjh91; 06-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Are you sitting in line at the car wash, bridge, etc. for long periods? This will completely skew your results...
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjh91 View Post
      I was a little disappointed in the MPG when I got my new S60 T6 2 weeks ago. however I found out what the problem was. Volvo straight from the dealer tends to put the tire pressure pretty low mine was at 33PSI and i was getting high teens low 20's. Since the car came equipped with P-Zero All Season Plus i looked up the MAX PSI and dropped it by 6PSI and used Nitrogen to fill the tires to 46PSI in the back and 43PSI in the front. I am sure Volvo puts in a lower PSI in order to have a softer ride but you will get much better MPG, better grip, and better handling with the higher PSI. My car is not as comfy over bumps any more but it's more fun to drive and I'm getting 26mpg in the city now, give it a try
      This is the opposite of my experience. Typically, dealers fail to deflate the tires after the car has been transported. All my new Volvos were overinflated on delivery (>40 psi). I run my S60's at 35psi and XC60 at 38psi. Anything above that significantly diminishes ride quality, without any improvement in fuel economy, in my experience.
      past:

This is the opposite of my experience. Typically, dealers fail to deflate the tires after the car has been transported. All my new Volvos were overinflated on delivery (>40 psi). I run my S60's at 35psi and XC60 at 38psi. Anything above that significantly diminishes ride quality, without any improvement in fuel economy, in my experience.
      https://www.discounttire.com/learn/a...e-fuel-economy

This is my first Volvo however in my experience with Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes, & Jaguar I have always had better fuel economy when inflating just under the MAX PSI rating for the tire rather than the car's sticker suggestion (side note, Jaguar actually states on their sticker their number is suggestion and to check your tires rating). The post on the car is always based on a basic trim car and they are never adjusted based on the spec of your specific vehicle and tires. Now, you never want to over-inflate your tires this will only be reducing the amount of tread that comes in contact with the pavement. There are a lot of benefits to utilizing the tire spec, as the manufacturer of the tire who did all R&D to develop it will know how to get the best performance from it. you'll have a longer tread life, better fuel economy, and better grip.

Also if possible find someplace that will inflate your tires with nitrogen, Nitrogen is much less reactive to temperature changes and will maintain a more stable PSI for a longer time. With air, you should check pressure monthly and nitrogen I check every 6 months, and usually at that point I still have no loss in pressure. An easy way to tell if your tire is underinflated to the tire spec is to take a look at the sidewall and if it is bowing out slightly where the tread meets the ground you're causing excess wear and lowering your fuel economy by quite a bit. Even the US government fuel economy site states a 3% MPG gain by correctly maintaining tire pressure and they are usually pretty conservative in what they say. In any case, this is an incredibly cheap way to see if it helps the MPG.
      Last edited by aaronjh91; 06-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Same. When I picked up the car and took it home the tire pressure in all 4 tires was >40 PSI. I adjusted it to the recommended 38 PSI. At 45 PSI the car was bouncing all over the place. INteresting, I thought overflation was just as bad for handling as underflation? My understanding with overinflation, less of the tire touches the ground. As a consequence, your car will bounce around on the road. And when your tires are bouncing instead of firmly planted on the road, traction suffers too. Personally, the car drove and handled better at 38psi vs 45psi. Didn't notice a difference in fuel economy or comfort.

I was a little disappointed in the MPG when I got my new S60 T6 2 weeks ago. however, I found out what the problem was. Volvo straight from the dealer evidently tends to put the tire pressure pretty low mine was at 33PSI and I was getting high teens low 20's.

Since the car came equipped with P-Zero All Season Plus i looked up the MAX PSI and dropped it by 6PSI and used Nitrogen to fill the tires to 46PSI in the back and 43PSI in the front.

I am sure Volvo puts in a lower PSI in order to have a softer ride but you will get much better MPG, better grip, and better handling with the higher PSI. Yes, my car is not as comfy over bumps any more but it's more fun to drive and I'm getting 26mpg in the city now, give it a try

Hope this helps!
      Are T6 S60's shipping with the p-zero all season plus tires? My R-design with 19's came with the p-zero all season regular.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/a...e-fuel-economy

This is my first Volvo however in my experience with Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes, & Jaguar I have always had better fuel economy when inflating just under the MAX PSI rating for the tire rather than the car's sticker suggestion (side note, Jaguar actually states on their sticker their number is suggestion and to check your tires rating). The post on the car is always based on a basic trim car and they are never adjusted based on the spec of your specific vehicle and tires. Now, you never want to over-inflate your tires this will only be reducing the amount of tread that comes in contact with the pavement. There are a lot of benefits to utilizing the tire spec, as the manufacturer of the tire who did all R&D to develop it will know how to get the best performance from it. you'll have a longer tread life, better fuel economy, and better grip.

Also if possible find someplace that will inflate your tires with nitrogen, Nitrogen is much less reactive to temperature changes and will maintain a more stable PSI for a longer time. With air, you should check pressure monthly and nitrogen I check every 6 months, and usually at that point I still have no loss in pressure. An easy way to tell if your tire is underinflated to the tire spec is to take a look at the sidewall and if it is bowing out slightly where the tread meets the ground you're causing excess wear and lowering your fuel economy by quite a bit. Even the US government fuel economy site states a 3% MPG gain by correctly maintaining tire pressure and they are usually pretty conservative in what they say. In any case, this is an incredibly cheap way to see if it helps the MPG.
      Thanks for the lesson, but I'd rather have a comfortable ride than save a few more pennies on gas. I get 27mpg on average at 35psi, 3% more would be 28 Ride quality diminishes quickly above 34-35psi in P3 S60 with dynamic suspension, and is not really tire-dependent (tried a variety of Bridgestone, Yokohama, Michelin, Continental A/S models all on stock 18" wheels). SPA S60 suspension seems better sorted, and higher tire pressure may be more tolerable - but I haven't measured it in the demo I test-drove recently.
      past:

Quote Originally Posted by silverV60 View Post

Hope this helps!
      Are T6 S60's shipping with the p-zero all season plus tires? My R-design with 19's came with the p-zero all season regular.
      My S60 T6 Inscription did ship with all season plus car was manufactured 5/19

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast