New '18 S60 P* owner. Questions 1) Spare tire mod? 2) Motor oil. 3) Floor Mats. 4) Turned down opt. extended service contract
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New '18 S60 P* owner. Questions 1) Spare tire mod? 2) Motor oil. 3) Floor Mats. 4) Turned down opt. extended service contract

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a 2018 S60 Polestar CPO with under 3.5K miles. Hopefully I won't regret it... Was originally thinking of holding onto my old car longer and / or getting something a bit more affordable (thinking ahead to retirement and saving as much as possible).
      Traded in my old car earlier than I wanted to, but hopefully I will not regret it.

1) Spare tire mod?
      I believe I read here this morning that the PStar has space in the trunk, out of sight under the carpeted floor, for a small (donut) spare?
      I looked under there and it seems very tight, so maybe the 2018 S60 Polestar has less space for a donut spare than a 2015.5 Polestar (see thread linked below).
      Can anyone confirm if there is a below-the-trunk-floor spare tire mod / option for the 2018 S60 Polestar?
      Also I assume a 2012 R-design donut spare which I still have lying around at home (traded the car in a while ago), won't fit the 2018 S60 Polestar (will measure the circumference later).

Either way, I know the spare would, at best, only fit on the rear of the S60 Polestar due to the large brake calipers at the front.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...tar+spare+tire

2) Any recommended motor oil brand and viscosity (for topping off between oil changes)?

3) Floor mat options (so I can leave OEM mats out of the car)?
      I know Weathertech makes nice mats, but are there better alternatives? Either way, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
      I am going to do some research now.

I turned down the extended maintenance plan they offered me (think it was just under $1900) covering the 40K to 100K mile services (every 10K miles). Believe it is mostly just fluids and checking components, versus any major service.

However, I did get the tire and rim protection plan for 7 years (no deductible, no limit on tire / rim replacements / repairs; the main exception is curb rash [after 10 occurrences] if not going to original dealer. If going to the original dealer, even curb rash repair instances are unlimited.
      Disclaimer, this is my understanding based on asking a lot of questions while at the dealer, but there is the usual fine print with exclusions, limitations etc.

I got it given the pot holes here in the Northeast and the 20 inch low profile rims.
      (That being said, somehow, with my last car, albeit lighter than the P*, I managed 39 months without a rim or tire replacement, which amazed me since it has 19 inch 235 wide 35 profile tires with slightly less sidewall height than the 2018 PStar 20 inch rims (40 wide, 35 profile). In winter I used 225/40-18 for that car though.
      On the other hand, I have had major rim damage with a 17 inch tire on an older car, but it all depends on the pot hole of course (that time, the car directly in front of me was also disabled by it before profile blocked off the road) and the luck of being in the wrong place at the right time.
      I will likely see how I do this winter and then decide if I should cancel the tire/rim protection plan since it can be canceled for a prorated refund at any time with no penalty, unless the plan has paid out more than the plan cost (which is understandable of course).

Any other tips of things to do for new owners would be appreciated. Thanks in advance all!

Happy to be a member of the Polestar club. Hoping to hold onto the S60 P* for a while.
      Owned a couple of other Volvos previously.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      Well, I bit the bullet and bought a 2018 S60 Polestar CPO with under 3.5K miles. Hopefully I won't regret it... Was originally thinking of holding onto my old car longer and / or getting something a bit more affordable (thinking ahead to retirement and saving as much as possible).
      Traded in my old car earlier than I wanted to, but hopefully I will not regret it.

1) Spare tire mod?
      I believe I read here this morning that the PStar has space in the trunk, out of sight under the carpeted floor, for a small (donut) spare?
      I looked under there and it seems very tight, so maybe the 2018 S60 Polestar has less space for a donut spare than a 2015.5 Polestar (see thread linked below).
      Can anyone confirm if there is a below-the-trunk-floor spare tire mod / option for the 2018 S60 Polestar?
      Also I assume a 2012 R-design donut spare which I still have lying around at home (traded the car in a while ago), won't fit the 2018 S60 Polestar (will measure the circumference later).

Either way, I know the spare would, at best, only fit on the rear of the S60 Polestar due to the large brake calipers at the front.

2) Any recommended motor oil brand and viscosity (for topping off between oil changes)?

I know Weathertech makes nice mats, but are there better alternatives? Either way, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I turned down the extended maintenance plan they offered me (think it was just under $1900) covering the 40K to 100K mile services (every 10K miles). Believe it is mostly just fluids and checking components, versus any major service.

However, I did get the tire and rim protection plan for 7 years (no deductible, no limit on tire / rim replacements / repairs; the main exception is curb rash [after 10 occurrences] if not going to original dealer. If going to the original dealer, even curb rash repair instances are unlimited.
      Disclaimer, this is my understanding based on asking a lot of questions while at the dealer, but there is the usual fine print with exclusions, limitations etc.

I got it given the pot holes here in the Northeast and the 20 inch low profile rims.
      (That being said, somehow, with my last car, albeit lighter than the P*, I managed 39 months without a rim or tire replacement, which amazed me since it has 19 inch 235 wide 35 profile tires with slightly less sidewall height than the 2018 PStar 20 inch rims (40 wide, 35 profile). In winter I used 225/40-18 for that car though.
      On the other hand, I have had major rim damage with a 17 inch tire on an older car, but it all depends on the pot hole of course (that time, the car directly in front of me was also disabled by it before profile blocked off the road) and the luck of being in the wrong place at the right time.
      I will likely see how I do this winter and then decide if I should cancel the tire/rim protection plan since it can be canceled for a prorated refund at any time with no penalty, unless the plan has paid out more than the plan cost (which is understandable of course).

Any other tips of things to do for new owners would be appreciated. Thanks in advance all!

Happy to be a member of the Polestar club. Hoping to hold onto the S60 P* for a while.
      Congrats on the new ride!

1) here's a much better thread on the spare tire mod.

2) Follow your manual. Volvo recommends different viscosity depending on market.

3) I keep the carpet mats out and use the OEM rubber mats. The oem set is missing the rear center tunnel mat which is very cheap online. Part# 39822906

Tire plan: good luck!

Tips:
      Your carbon fiber bits don't take rock chips well. Try to get them PPFed if possible.

There MIGHT be a set of wheel locks sitting in your glove compartment right now that hasn't been installed onto your wheels.

RE: potholes, make sure your hard plastic dust boot on your front Ohlins don't get dislodged. This is especially important if salt is involved during the winter. Here are some official instructions for cleaning (page 11).

The polestar supplemental manual (at least the 2017) has a different set of tire pressure specs than your door canard.
      2017 V60 P*

Thanks! Replies inline below (in bold, preceded by NJD in brackets).

Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      Congrats on the new ride!
      [NJD]Thanks!

1) here's a much better thread on the spare tire mod.
      [NJD] Perfect, thanks. Time for me to do some more reading.

2) Follow your manual. Volvo recommends different viscosity depending on market.
      [NJD] Thanks, I was going to check the manual for viscosity either way. I guess I was more wondering if there is any brand people prefer / swear by (will search threads when I have a bit more time tomorrow or later tonight).

3) I keep the carpet mats out and use the OEM rubber mats. The oem set is missing the rear center tunnel mat which is very cheap online. Part# 39822906
      [NJD]Thanks, let me look into those.

Tire plan: good luck!
      [NJD]Thanks!

Tips:
      Your carbon fiber bits don't take rock chips well. Try to get them PPFed if possible.
      [NJD] Appreciate the warning.

There MIGHT be a set of wheel locks sitting in your glove compartment right now that hasn't been installed onto your wheels.
      [NJD]Let me check that, thanks.

RE: potholes, make sure your hard plastic dust boot on your front Ohlins don't get dislodged. This is especially important if salt is involved during the winter. Here are some official instructions for cleaning (page 11).
      [NJD]Thanks a lot, something I (and assume a number of others) would never have thought of checking / even been aware of.

The polestar supplemental manual (at least the 2017) has a different set of tire pressure specs than your door canard.
      (NJD] Interesting, thanks. So I assume you're suggesting to go by the supplemental manual's recommended tire pressure and not the ones listed on the door jamb (canard) sticker?
      (Have to check if I received a supplemental manual at delivery).
      Last edited by njdriver; 06-15-2019 at 07:53 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

(NJD] Interesting, thanks. So I assume you're suggesting to go by the supplemental manual's recommended tire pressure and not the ones listed on the door jamb (canard) sticker?
      (Have to check if I received a supplemental manual at delivery).
      Yeah. Check your manual (I don't know if the 2018s have a different manual with all the aero updates they got)

Last edited by Venth; 06-15-2019 at 08:05 PM.
      2017 V60 P*

1) Spare tire mod?

Congratulations and welcome to the club! Is this the car you bought by any chance? https://www.smythevolvocars.com/cert...aab2b57fda.htm
      I live in NJ and got mine at Prestige Volvo in East Hanover. Of your questions above, I can speak to # 3. I have the Volvo rubber mats and trunk liner that I ordered from the dealer. One other note, I use my car as a daily driver and switched out the summer tires for high performance all season tires that I keep on year-round and have had no issues. I have the 245/35-20 Continental DWS06 which have been great. However, when I need to replace them I will be going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
      Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.
      Rebel Yell • 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar • Rebel Blue The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
      Congratulations and welcome to the club! Is this the car you bought by any chance? https://www.smythevolvocars.com/cert...aab2b57fda.htm
      I live in NJ and got mine at Prestige Volvo in East Hanover. Of your questions above, I can speak to # 3. I have the Volvo rubber mats and trunk liner that I ordered from the dealer. One other note, I use my car as a daily driver and switched out the summer tires for high performance all season tires that I keep on year-round and have had no issues. I have the 245/35-20 Continental DWS06 which are have been great. However, when I need to replace them I will be going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
      Thanks for the welcome! How did you know; I figured someone would put 2 and 2 together.
      Going to look into the rubber mats.

Thanks, re. the tires. I have always read (including another forum for my old car) that there is quite a significant difference in handling performance between high performance summer tires (e.g. Michelin Pilot Super Sport) and UHP all seasons. That being said, I have at least been considering UHP all seasons as well (less of a hassle and less chance for damage due to frequent wheel swapping between summer and winter setups - twice a year). Although if I did end up deciding to go that route, I would probably combine it with going to 19" wheels in that case.
      Tough decision, since the P* is obviously geared towards performance and that it is going to handle better on performance summer tires...
      I had been thinking of having two sets, but I won't close the door on UHP all seasons yet... At least it is only June, so plenty of time to decide before I have to worry about winter and either get performance winter tires or UHP all seasons (although the latter are not nearly as good in the snow after 1 or 2 years max, depending on mileage driven of course).
      Will probably end up swapping twice as year, I guess. Not in a huge rush to decide. Going to enjoy getting used to my P*.

Yes, the DWS06 (used them on my 2012 R Design) are nice, but I agree with you that the A/S 3+ (which was not out at the time or I would have considered it just like you) is definitely better in a number of areas, except perhaps snow as noted in tirerack reviews.

So you got 245/35-R20 tires instead of OEM size of 240/35-R20 tires (double checking in case it was a typo perhaps). If not a typo, I assume you wanted a slightly wider tire to protect the rims from curb rash and other rim damage (e.g from certain types of potholes)?

Thanks for the welcome! How did you know; I figured someone would put 2 and 2 together.
      Going to look into the rubber mats.

Thanks, re. the tires. I have always read (including another forum for my old car) that there is quite a significant difference in handling performance between high performance summer tires (e.g. Michelin Pilot Super Sport) and UHP all seasons. That being said, I have at least been considering UHP all seasons as well (less of a hassle and less chance for damage due to frequent wheel swapping between summer and winter setups - twice a year). Although if I did end up deciding to go that route, I would probably combine it with going to 19" wheels in that case.
      Tough decision, since the P* is obviously geared towards performance and that it is going to handle better on performance summer tires...
      I had been thinking of having two sets, but I won't close the door on UHP all seasons yet... At least it is only June, so plenty of time to decide before I have to worry about winter and either get performance winter tires or UHP all seasons (although the latter are not nearly as good in the snow after 1 or 2 years max, depending on mileage driven of course).
      Will probably end up swapping twice as year, I guess. Not in a huge rush to decide. Going to enjoy getting used to my P*.

Yes, the DWS06 (used them on my 2012 R Design) are nice, but I agree with you that the A/S 3+ (which was not out at the time or I would have considered it just like you) is definitely better in a number of areas, except perhaps snow as noted in tirerack reviews.

So you got 245/35-R20 tires instead of OEM size of 240/35-R20 tires (double checking in case it was a typo perhaps). If not a typo, I assume you wanted a slightly wider tire to protect the rims from curb rash and other rim damage (e.g from certain types of potholes)?
      245/35-20 is the OEM spec for the Polestar tires. Double check yours! I also installed 10MM spacers on the front and rears to give a slightly more athletic stance.
      Rebel Yell • 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar • Rebel Blue The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
      245/35-20 is the OEM spec for the Polestar tires. Double check yours! I also installed 10MM spacers on the front and rears to give a slightly more athletic stance.
      Oops, you're right, that is my cue to get some rest. For some reason tonight I got the idea suddenly they were 240.

Last week I had posted the right size (245/35-R20) in the following thread (post 689 e.g.): https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7334615

So as not to start a new thread:

Is the below linked pre-mixed (50/50) coolant as good as the OEM Volvo coolant?
      I believe it is the same as the OEM coolant (aside from obviously not being concentrated)? Can anyone please confirm that the coolant itself equivalent to OEM coolant?
      Aisin ACB-003 coolant is non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT). This coolant is designed and recommended for aluminum engines but can be used in varying applications.
      Not seeing anything about it being 'phosphate-free' though?

If not equivalent to OEM, are there other pre-mixed (50/50 diluted) coolants that are equivalent to Volvo OEM concentrated coolant?

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/2131...cb003-31439821
      "139983 - Aisin - Premix 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant - 31439821
      IPD Item Number: 139983
      Brand: Aisin
      Classification: Oil, fluids & chemicals
      Quality Level: Good (aftermarket) The OEM concentrated page description says 'better'??? Is that just generic labeling on IPDUSA's end, that OEM is 'better' and aftermarket is 'good'?
      Manufacturer Part Number: ACB003
      OE Reference: 31439821
      Color: Blue
      Cross Reference: 1381081, 31338284, 31439821, 9434699, 97153001001, 97153002001"

"Product Description
      Aisin ACB-003 coolant is non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT). This coolant is designed and recommended for aluminum engines but can be used in varying applications.
      Note: This coolant is premixed unlike the Volvo OE coolant. No additional water needed!
      "

Thanks!
      Last edited by njdriver; 06-28-2019 at 11:01 AM.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

So as not to start a new thread:

Is the below linked pre-mixed (50/50) coolant as good as the OEM Volvo coolant?
      I believe it is the same as the OEM coolant (aside from obviously not being concentrated)? Can anyone please confirm that the coolant itself equivalent to OEM coolant?
      Not seeing anything about it being 'phosphate-free' though?

If not equivalent to OEM, are there other pre-mixed (50/50 diluted) coolants that are equivalent to Volvo OEM concentrated coolant?

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/2131...cb003-31439821
      "139983 - Aisin - Premix 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant - 31439821
      IPD Item Number: 139983
      Brand: Aisin
      Classification: Oil, fluids & chemicals
      Quality Level: Good (aftermarket) The OEM concentrated page description says 'better'??? Is that just generic labeling on IPDUSA's end, that OEM is 'better' and aftermarket is 'good'?
      Manufacturer Part Number: ACB003
      OE Reference: 31439821
      Color: Blue
      Cross Reference: 1381081, 31338284, 31439821, 9434699, 97153001001, 97153002001"

"Product Description
      Note: This coolant is premixed unlike the Volvo OE coolant. No additional water needed!
      "

Thanks!
      Bump, since no replies to the above.
      Going to order this 50/50 coolant today, but first wanted to check with other Volvo / Polestar owners whether this 50/50 coolant (link above) is as good as the OEM concentrated one (since I just got my 2018 S60 Polestar)?
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements