2018 S60 Polestar Hood closing issue - left side (when standing in front of car) - Need to push down to click
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      229

      (issue likely resolved as of June 22, 2019).

      Frustrated since I have only driven my S60 Polestar once and I am surprised the dealer did not address this:

      When I close my hood, the left side (to the left when standing in front of the hood) does not click down into the 'latch', so the left hood is ~ 0.4 inches too high. I have to 'manually' press down on that side of hood (in the spot where the latch is) in order for that side of the hood to click in place at which point the hood aligns perfectly.

      Wondering if anyone else had this issue and if there are any simple fixes?
      I plan to bring it to the closest dealer or, ideally, the selling dealer (since I will be in that area Saturday) to have it addressed, but figured would post here to get feedback from others, in case they have had the same issue.

      EDIT - See last post. The issue seems to have been resolved.
      Last edited by njdriver; 06-22-2019 at 11:33 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,573
      Maybe the latch just needs a little lubrication or adjustment if the car has been sitting for awhile.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      229
      I suspect it could be one of the following:

      the latch / holding mechanism is either too tight, which is not letting the hood go all the way down on that side by itself (hence it needs to be pressed down).

      the latch / gripping mechanism is simply not catching unless the hood is pushed down by hand.

      Might be a spring issue (if there is one) or it needs a tweak (lubrication or other adjustment) like you said.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Jersey Shore
      Posts
      190
      Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      I suspect it could be one of the following:

      the latch / holding mechanism is either too tight, which is not letting the hood go all the way down on that side by itself (hence it needs to be pressed down).

      the latch / gripping mechanism is simply not catching unless the hood is pushed down by hand.

      Might be a spring issue (if there is one) or it needs a tweak (lubrication or other adjustment) like you said.
      I have not experienced this issue. I agree you should visit the selling dealer. They should be able to adjust one of the above to correct this.
      Rebel Yell • 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar • Rebel Blue The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      229
      Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
      I have not experienced this issue. I agree you should visit the selling dealer. They should be able to adjust one of the above to correct this.
      Thanks
      Contacted two dealers, this way if one can't fix it, the other one can. Also going to ask about the brakes (see my other thread).

      I need to figure out how the display LEDs on the top of the dash work (the ones that project onto the windshield). Thought they were supposed to light up under certain circumstances; will read owner's manual later to see if I am missing something or just could not see it the other weekend when I last drove it.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      South Bay CA
      Posts
      43
      Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      Frustrated since I have only driven my S60 Polestar once and I am surprised the dealer did not address this:

      When I close my hood, the left side (to the left when standing in front of the hood) does not click down into the 'latch', so the left hood is ~ 0.4 inches too high. I have to 'manually' press down on that side of hood (in the spot where the latch is) in order for that side of the hood to click in place at which point the hood aligns perfectly.

      Wondering if anyone else had this issue and if there are any simple fixes?
      I plan to bring it to the closest dealer or, ideally, the selling dealer (since I will be in that area Saturday) to have it addressed, but figured would post here to get feedback from others, in case they have had the same issue.
      If you look at the bottom of the hood when it is up, you'll see 3 black bumpers. each can be turned to adjust the gap in the hood when closed. If you don't like the gap, spin bumper lower. I suspect that the bumpers are all to high and need to be turned a bit to get the latch to click and still keep the gap aligned.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      South Bay CA
      Posts
      43
      Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      Thanks
      Contacted two dealers, this way if one can't fix it, the other one can. Also going to ask about the brakes (see my other thread).

      I need to figure out how the display LEDs on the top of the dash work (the ones that project onto the windshield). Thought they were supposed to light up under certain circumstances; will read owner's manual later to see if I am missing something or just could not see it the other weekend when I last drove it.
      These are the collision warning lights, they also light up if you are closer to the car in front of you than the follow setting.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      229
      Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
      These are the collision warning lights, they also light up if you are closer to the car in front of you than the follow setting.
      Thanks, yes that is what I understood; they came on today when I drove to an appointment; the other day I do not recall them coming on. Will look into the following setting to see what distance it is set to currently.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      229
      Hood - 'Issue' was resolved at the dealer. They took care of it promptly (we had just finished making our coffee in the waiting area and the service manager said you're all set!).
      The 'fix' was two-fold - a small adjustment on the black rubber grommet underside of the hood and they also advised to give the hood a little push when closing it, instead of just letting it drop. Seems all S60's do it.
      I know my prior car Golf R did not need any extra 'push' (I could just let it drop) but it isn't as if the hood needs to be opened often, so I will keep an eye on it.

      Brakes - They did not even want to touch the brakes, so that I could do the bedding myself (rotors were replaced before they made it a CPO, even though had 3,200 miles at the time). The service manager mentioned two prior P* owners asked the dealer service department not to touch their cars as far as brakes are concerned.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

    12. #10

      Mine has the same issue (need to push left corner each time)

      I didn't bother trying to fix it thinking that I am the only one who opens the hood anyway and I don't mind doing an extra push. Also the gap on the left side seemed a bit wider than on the right side. The rest of the panels fit & finish seem to be good.

    13. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Alignment issue on 2018 S60, 2018 XC60 and 2015 S60
      By cromeyellow in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 10-02-2017, 11:21 AM
    2. Click Click huh CLICK CLICK AGHHHHHRRR what is it? Where is it?
      By quadcamsix in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 01-19-2016, 10:00 AM
    3. Click. Click. -make it go away!
      By siafu in forum C70 (1998-2004)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
    4. Click Click noise when releasing the clutch
      By Andy's_V50 in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 09-07-2006, 08:15 AM