Need Front Strut Suggestions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Need Front Strut Suggestions

Hi

I need to replace the front struts on my 2007 XC90 which my daughter uses to drive to and back from work.

So far I can see the following online:

Sachs $105
      Bilstein B4 Touring $140
      Koni $270
      Bilstein HD $325

A wide range.

Is there that much a difference in performance between them?

Any practical experience with any of these?

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For your daughter, my assumption is you would like a stock ride and performance. Then go with Sachs. Bilstein B4 is firmer and the Bilstein HDs are much firmer.

Just remember to replace the other hardware such as the spring seats and strut mounts. I believe the Sachs comes with new lower spring insulators (call/email to confirm before ordering), but they should be replaced as well. The strut boot and bump stop can be swapped over.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...2xc90strtkt2p6 Main parts that need to be replaced
      https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../31200486.html If needed
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 150k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

My 2005 XC90 2.5T with 120K drive like a boat, so I am "in the same boat"....

I have not done the strut on the XC90 yet, but in the 1998 S70, the Bilstein B4 is about 5-10% firmer than Sachs.
      I highly recommend Bilstein B4.
      The Bilstein B6, from reading in different forums, are very stiff and may "break your back" even with minor potholes.

I plan to do the whole thing soon and do a little DIY for forum:
      - Bilstein B4 struts + new seat + bearing
      - Volvo OEM control arms + new Lemforder ball joints.
      - New Inner and Outer Tie rods, end links, basically refrsh the entire front end.

This is b/c I don't ever want to do suspension work twice.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I am in the same boat and currently thinking of Bilstein B4 to replace my front struts. Very interested in some feedback.
      -----------------------------------------------
      Current: 2009 XC90 3.2 and 2007 XC90 V8 R
      Past: 2006 XC90 V8

I wouldn't recommend Bilstein B6/HD struts for the front unless you have very smooth roads. They're great on the highway but on the harsh side with rougher roads.

I went from OE Sachs to HEICO B6 Bilsteins and now back to B4 Touring Bilsteins.
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, Snabb fresh air pipe and downpipe, custom triple resonated catback, HEICO (BMC) sport air filter, Bilstein B4 front struts with HEICO rear struts and lowering springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

Just out of curiosity, are there any struts that are more comfortable than the OE? I'd like to go more in the direction of a RangeRover, not a Porsche Cayenne... Does anyone know, if such things are even available? Or do the Bilsteins make it more comfortable AND more firm to drive?
      Volvo XC90 D5 AWD Summum MY05 (déjà-vu)
      Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide MY91 FLHTCU

If you look behind the passenger side B-pillar, black label, and post the 12 alphanumeric characters in the lower left hand corner (right below Made in Sweden), we can see what you have on the car now.

There are a few combinations of spring, sway, strut and strut bumpstop delivered in this vehicle over the years. Entirely possible you can swap out another OE front setup and make it ride more soft, above and beyond any aftermarket options but let's see what's on it first.

Same goes for the OP, let's see what you have on your '07.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 200k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 130k

Quote Originally Posted by avjms99 View Post
      I am in the same boat and currently thinking of Bilstein B4 to replace my front struts. Very interested in some feedback.
      Depends on which XC90 of yours as well as what kind of ride and performance you want.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 150k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

35,000 miles ago I would have said go B4. Now I say otherwise. I have the 4C systemin my S80. The 4C shocks suck! I like more feedback so I went with the B4 in my S80. Bilstein says the shock is supposed to leak some oil. I have a slight leak in one strut and what I believe is an unrelated noise when it is hot outside. I had the dealer look at it twice, most recently two weeks ago.

The tech didn't look for the noise which was the reason I brought it in. The video says in addition to what we told you last year your tires are wearing on the inside. Thanks for nothing. Tires wore on the inside before the last alignment. Winter tires are wearing even.

I would go with the Sachs on the XC90 and will probably do them on the S80 when the noise bothers me enough. The shock in the S80 isn't bad (dealer doesn't want to read what Bilstein wrote. Easier to say replace both shocks for about $2,500 with 4Cs I don't want), but if I am going to replace them it wont be just the shock, it will be all the hardware around the strut.
      Last edited by Tommm; 06-22-2019 at 12:09 PM.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

This is a general guide to what may be suitable based on the springs and sway bars on the XC90. This does not include all the factors, like if you are 5 passenger versus 7 passenger, which tire/wheel combination is on, or the longevity of the struts/shocks. I hope it helps as a starting point and then you can make the decision after. Tire selection plays an important role in planning/blue-printing your suspension as it is the first point of work when going over uneven pavement and lateral/yaw behavior.

Also, remember these options are for the best fit, not exact rates of stock Volvo. All of them might seem harsh at first because we get used to the old worn struts over time, but the real test is how it feels 10k miles and so on and what is the drop off rate of the performance over time. Like a cell phone battery, might be great the first month, but I am more interested in how it holds charge month 2 to 24.

Use it or don't, but it's a starting point. Hope it helps.

Model (suspension) Sachs Bilstein B4 Touring Bilstein B6 HD
      2.5t
      Stock ride
      firmer ride, yet will still nose dive and sway due to springs
      Too harsh
      2.5t Sport
      Might be good match
      Good match
      Too harsh
      Stock ride
      Too harsh
      3.2 RD/Sport
      Might be good match
      Good match
      Too harsh
      Might be a little under damped (compression) for the 4.4 weight
      Too harsh
      4.4 RD/Sport
      Not a good match
      Good match
      Too harsh
      Notes
      Probably designed for the 2.5t weight; ride height the same; good overall match to the factory non-sport/RD springs
      Not for shorter springs; may feel harsh at first, especially when comparing to old worn struts, but have good firmer feel after ~10-15k miles; longer extension & compression height by ~10mm; ride height the same; may help with towing or if you constantly carry 7 passengers; does not come with lower spring insulator
      Not for shorter springs; ride height the same; might be suitable if you plan on having heavy wheel/tire combination; if you tow a lot but do not have rear Nivomats (self-leveling); does not come with lower spring insulator

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      Depends on which XC90 of yours as well as what kind of ride and performance you want.
      I have 2007 v8 Sport

-----------------------------------------------
      Current: 2009 XC90 3.2 and 2007 XC90 V8 R
      Past: 2006 XC90 V8

Everyone thanks for all the great info.

Would be nice to hear of some impressions from anyone with B6's, I've heard their firmness varies based on application.
      2007 XC90 V8 - 2005 V70R M66
      2015 F150 Supercrew 2WD 3.5L

If you look in the squirrelly places on the internet, you can find Koni FSD's for the XC90. They're really nice on the Wife's Fiat.... the temptation to get a set for the XC90 is there, but I've no reason to tighten up the ride on mine. There are other cars in the driveway for that.

-Ryan
      Current fleet:
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD (Wife-mobile)

I went with the Bilstein HD's up front. They completely eliminated the floatiness of the ride and improved the handling precision. You do feel the sharp bumps more, but it was a good tradeoff for me. If you like the original ride these are probably not the right option.
      V70R -04 MT, 18" IPD Pegs, IPD Tune, IPD DP+Cat back, FMIC, Eibachs, IPD Sways
      XC90 V8-05, 18" Atlantis, Bilsteins (Front), IPD Sways, RSE, Nav
      240 Classic Wagon -93 AT, 17" IPD Nebs, TME Springs, Bilsteins, IPD Sways

Thanks--I must admit I haven't searched here to look for a review in a couple years, but those are custom valved and on lowering springs. But I suppose I could buy some and try them, if it doesn't work out I could resell on the forums.
      2007 XC90 V8 - 2005 V70R M66
      2015 F150 Supercrew 2WD 3.5L

Quote Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
      If you look in the squirrelly places on the internet, you can find Koni FSD's for the XC90. They're really nice on the Wife's Fiat.... the temptation to get a set for the XC90 is there, but I've no reason to tighten up the ride on mine. There are other cars in the driveway for that.

-Ryan
      The updated version of the FSDs are the Special Active now. If someone is interested in trying these I wonder how they perform with the different weights, from the 2.5t to the 4.4. Also, I wonder how it would handle a bump or dip on an offramp when the vehicle is already loaded. My concern is if this type of scenario would make an unpredictable change in handling. Viva has them for a good price if anyone is willing to try them out: https://www.vivaperformance.com/koni...-volvo-xc90-i/

What I like about the Bilstein B4 Touring struts is having better control all the time. Just yesterday I had to drive through heavy crosswinds and with the XC90 being higher up and top heavy, I can only guess the Konis would not handle this type of situation as well or predictable as the Bilsteins.

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      The updated version of the FSDs are the Special Active now. If someone is interested in trying these I wonder how they perform with the different weights, from the 2.5t to the 4.4. Also, I wonder how it would handle a bump or dip on an offramp when the vehicle is already loaded. My concern is if this type of scenario would make an unpredictable change in handling. Viva has them for a good price if anyone is willing to try them out: https://www.vivaperformance.com/koni...-volvo-xc90-i/

What I like about the Bilstein B4 Touring struts is having better control all the time. Just yesterday I had to drive through heavy crosswinds and with the XC90 being higher up and top heavy, I can only guess the Konis would not handle this type of situation as well or predictable as the Bilsteins.
      Interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the Koni's. The FSD's are/were magical. My wife has the "big" Fiat, the 500X (still is dwarfed by the XC90), entry-level with the little turbo motor and 6-spd manual transmission. These came from the factory with FSD's. Ride quality and handling are quite amazing.

If the XC90 was my only car, I'd probably spring for the Koni's. I have the 945 set up for spirited driving.

-Ryan
      Current fleet:
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD (Wife-mobile)

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements