Tail gate foot sensor
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tail gate foot sensor

I am having a hard time opening/closing the tail gate with the foot sensor.
      Most of the time is a hit or miss. I have to sway my foot several times before it reacts. Is this a common thing or mine is not right?
      The salesperson said the sweet spot is right under the left exhaust pipe.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Tail gate foot sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Lalin View Post
      Most of the time is a hit or miss. I have to sway my foot several times before it reacts. Is this a common thing or mine is not right?
      It is simple straight forward and straight back - no swaying, then step back one step to clear the gate while it opens.

For most Volvo’s, the sweet spot is under the first “O” in the Volvo name. If you have the extra styling kit for the rear, then the sweet spot is on the left side behind the wheel well.

P.S., Your foot should be 4-8 inches off the ground. Don’t go too high.

Mine works 100% now that I do not sway my foot left/right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 06-20-2019 at 09:09 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by Lalin View Post
      Practice, practice, practice. We’ve all been there. Once you master the kick it will be 100% of the time.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Also remember it is a quick kick - if you go too slow it will not register it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the bottom of bumper cover, you can see 4 small screws on it, about a foot to the right of exhaust pipe. That is the location.

Move your foot in like a slow kick, then one step back, both feet, or just walk away, that's it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 06-20-2019 at 09:26 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

I think for many of us the trick was remembering to take the step back after the kick. That's not really intuitive.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Keep practicing till you get that sweet spot. Also beware, it will also close the tailgate. Just ask my wife. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      I think for many of us the trick was remembering to take the step back after the kick. That's not really intuitive.
      After the tailgate hits you a couple of times it will be intuitive 😇
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

or just use the latch . . .
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      +1. This did the trick for us. When we picked up our car at the FDC, Hans told us to kick once quickly under the first V in Volvo. He neglected to tell us to stand back before doing it or to step back after doing it. The car senses if you are too close and won't lift the tailgate. He described the action as "American Riverdance"
      Current
      OSD 2018 XC60 T8 | Onyx Black | Blonde/Blonde Int | Heated Fr Seats & Steering Wheel | Convenience-Vision-Advanced Packages | Air Suspension | 20" Wheels
      OSD 2011 C70 | Flamenco Red

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      It is simple straight forward and straight back - no swaying, then step back one step to clear the gate while it opens.

For most Volvo’s, the sweet spot is under the first “O” in the Volvo name. If you have the extra styling kit for the rear, then the sweet spot is on the left side behind the wheel well.

P.S., Your foot should be 4-8 inches off the ground. Don’t go too high.

Mine works 100% now that I do not sway my foot left/right.

Good advice here. My last car had me trained to do a sort of waving sway, and that simply doesn't work. I've got the styling kit, and I basically make a motion like I'm going to kick the car behind the left side tire. It works like a charm. It's different, but the upside is no need to step back since I'm on the side.

Is your car equipped with either a Volvo tow hitch or the exterior styling kit?

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

the sweet spot is under the first “O” in the Volvo name.
      wait i've been kicking between V and O. have I been "doing it wrong" this whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      After the tailgate hits you a couple of times it will be intuitive 😇
      lol. It's even funnier when the kids are standing right now and they get bonked cause they don't listen.

@tonyc

Your shoe size may vary.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

The exterior styling kit moves the sensor to the left side of the rear bumper, and I actually found it to be FAR more reliable than when I didn't have the styling kit installed.

I just spent 5 minutes looking like an idiot in my driveway with lame left-foot kicks directed at my tail pipe. I'm pretty sure this feature isn't working right haha. I guess the styling kit makes the car look cool, but makes the driver look like a dolt.

The salesperson had trouble as well when we took delivery of the car. He accidentally kicked the bumper a couple of times while flinging about trying to activate the sensor.

It's kind of annoying the dealers have no way to easily troubleshoot if this sensor is detecting motion in a standard way. Like I figure Volvo would publish a TSB advising on a standard procedure that should either work 100% of the time or provide a failure-assessment.

my dealer explained to kick between the V and the O. It works for me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      I just spent 5 minutes looking like an idiot in my driveway with lame left-foot kicks directed at my tail pipe. I'm pretty sure this feature isn't working right haha. I guess the styling kit makes the car look cool, but makes the driver look like a dolt.

The salesperson had trouble as well when we took delivery of the car. He accidentally kicked the bumper a couple of times while flinging about trying to activate the sensor.

It's kind of annoying the dealers have no way to easily troubleshoot if this sensor is detecting motion in a standard way. Like I figure Volvo would publish a TSB advising on a standard procedure that should either work 100% of the time or provide a failure-assessment.
      with the styling kit, the sensor is moved to a different location. moved to behind left rear wheel, have not tried this version myself, do not have any tips other than it is not where it is on most volvos
      https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-foot-movement

I was flammoxed when I got my V60 initially, and the dealership couldn't figure it out either. We were flinging legs all over the place under the bumper.
      Finally we figured it out. Stand between the first V and O. Sweep your foot across under the bumper... And step back. If you don't step back, the trunk lid will not open

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
      Keep practicing till you get that sweet spot. Also beware, it will also close the tailgate. Just ask my wife. LOL
      , my wife got hit few times while unloading stuff from the trunk, the net result, unloading is my job now.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      I was flammoxed when I got my V60 initially, and the dealership couldn't figure it out either. We were flinging legs all over the place under the bumper.
      Finally we figured it out. Stand between the first V and O. Sweep your foot across under the bumper... And step back. If you don't step back, the trunk lid will not open

Is that with or without the styling kit which relocated the sensor near the left rear wheel?

I’ve tried left foot or right foot for the sweep (left to right or right to left) or kick. Neither foot seems to do the trick regardless if I step back or not 😞

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post

I tried all the advices given above. Neither my wife nor I can get the darn thing to work reliably.
      If we are lucky, we may get one opening out of 20 attempts. By now we gave up and simply press the button.

Don't put your key fob and cellphone in one pocket. This also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      Is that with or without the styling kit which relocated the sensor near the left rear wheel?

I’ve tried left foot or right foot for the sweep (left to right or right to left) or kick. Neither foot seems to do the trick regardless if I step back or not 😞
      Here is what the FAQ says for your car.

A couple of things to note:
      1. Automatic tailgate is optional. I assume that you have that option.
      2. Repeated attempts will cause a timeout.

Never sway your foot back and forth. Kick smoothly in and smoothly back, then step back a foot.

With the optional styling kit, you should be positioned about half the distance between the rear left wheel well and the bumper and facing the rear left window. Just be smooth and definitely no “moose prancing”. 🦥 If nothing else, look under the left rear to find the sensor.

From your manual.

For XC60s equipped with the optional hands-free tailgate:
      Use the hands-free foot movement:

The sensor is located left of center beneath the bumper:

Sensor location on standard equipped cars

You must have the remote key in your possession while opening the tailgate using the hands-free foot movement. Use a kicking motion under were the sensor is located without touching the bumper and then move back away from the car. There will be a short sound that alerts you when the tailgate begins to open or close.

Kicking motion for standard equipped cars

Note: Do not stand directly in front of the tailgate as it opens or it will stop as a safety precaution. If several attempts have been made to open/close the tailgate using the foot sensor without a remote key within range, the function will time out and will not be available for a short period.

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      with the styling kit, the sensor is moved to a different location. moved to behind left rear wheel, have not tried this version myself, do not have any tips other than it is not where it is on most volvos
      https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-foot-movement
      It’s this. If you have the exterior styling kit, they have to move the sensor to the side, you should walk up to the side behind the driver’s/LH rear tire and kick your foot in and out once between the tire and the rear. Works great.

If you don’t have the kit, it’s one kick in and out below the bumper between the V and O as others have said. Also works great, no need for the river dance
      2020 S60 PE, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

Before installing the styling kit on my xc60, the hands free worked about 90% of the time with a quick kick directly under the V and O as others explained.

After the styling kit was moved, this reliability dropped to about 5% when kicking from the side using the same kicking motion.

By modifying my kick to more of a swipe under the rear corner of the bumper, the effectiveness increased to about 25%.

When I had the car in for service, I asked if they could look into it. They found and applied an update and the accuracy is back up around 90%. I still use the “swipe” kick to activate it and have better luck with the regular key than the sport key.

Next time the car is in for service, explain it is intermittent and ask if there is an update. Meanwhile, don’t think of it as looking dumb while trying to open the car, think of it as reaching your daily step goal faster

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads
      it is interesting the gate won't open if you are too close, but will try to crush you if you're standing under it on it's left side. more irritating that it will unexpectedly close on you than when you're foot won't open it. and i've had it open into the closed garage door when i walked behind the car.
      2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

Quote Originally Posted by s60r05 View Post
      it is interesting the gate won't open if you are too close, but will try to crush you if you're standing under it on it's left side. more irritating that it will unexpectedly close on you than when you're foot won't open it. and i've had it open into the closed garage door when i walked behind the car.
      If it was a flap thing you need to actually kick to open, it would be actually more reliable. Welcome to the world of touchless sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by s60r05 View Post
      Exactly! My wife and my kids hate this.. they are afraid to unload the stuff from the trunk now. I too try to be on the right side of the vehicle..
      Last edited by PSamy; 01-05-2020 at 09:25 AM.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Tail gate foot sensor

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      Exactly! My wife and my kids hate this.. they are afraid to unload the stuff from the trunk now. I too try to be on the right side of the vehicle..
      It is not an issue if the FOB is not nearby. Spouse in the house and let the kids unload.

But seriously, the tailgate will not open or close based on the proximity of your feet if there is no key FOB nearby.

Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-05-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Maybe I'm unique, but on my T6 inscription the tail open is remarkably accurate - moreso than any SUV I've owned. Basically never fails.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      Maybe I'm unique, but on my T6 inscription the tail open is remarkably accurate - moreso than any SUV I've owned. Basically never fails.
      Same here with T8 and no styling kit. Now that technique is down, it is 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      Same here with T8 and no styling kit. Now that technique is down, it is 100%.
      Always works. 100% of the time.
      Never had an issue on any of my SPA cars or loaners. Not once. Ever.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

I agree about required technique. Could barely get it to work the first few days on my 2020 XC60, and was about to give up -- but the last couple of days, first time, every time ...I'm just not going to suggest a stranger do anything other than the more traditional press-the-handle method.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Once you know the area, it works very well. Its a (un) handy item I have grown to appreciate
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast