CarPlay Updates
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: CarPlay Updates

CarPlay Updates

After being around a while I realized that this belongs in this rumors thread much more than in the model specific thread I originally posted it in, so I am pasting it in hopes that it’ll be more well received;

I am a relatively new Volvo owner (2018 XC90 T6 Inscription w/P*) and new to the forum, so forgive me if I have miscategorized this post but after having a look around I didn't see a more logical location for this or a post already covering it. I am sure that most responses will be guesses and conjecture, but I am hoping for some insight/thoughts about Volvo's application of software updates/new technology...

At Apple's WWDC conference this week, they announced a whole host of updates for Carplay integration in the new iOS 13 that will be released this fall (with developer betas having rolled out this week). Their updates to Carplay specifically include:

- New Carplay Dashboard
      - New Calendar App
      - Home Screen Redesign
      - Apple Music Redesign
      - Album Art in "Now Playing"
      - Bluetooth Album Art
      - Apple Maps Update
      - Junction View in Apple Maps
      - Smaller Siri Screen
      - Adjustable Screen Size (Automaker Option)
      - Second Video Stream Support (Automaker Option)
      - Irregular Screen Size Support (Automaker Option)
      - Hey Sir Support (Automaker Option)
      - Do Not Disturb While Driving
      - Light Mode
      - Settings
      - Independent App Views

Most of the options listed are on the Carplay end and will be retroactive/automatically applied for vehicles with Carplay and devices that are running iOS 13, and they're all very exciting enhancements (for me)... BUT, I am the most excited about the possibility of the ones that are listed as being an option for an Automaker to enable/support/develop, and more specifically the Second Video Stream Support! It would be wonderful to be able to see my Carplay Screen on the gauge TFT screen rather than the Volvo map, which is adequate, but feels inadequate at times. What are everyone's thoughts/opinions on the likelihood of Volvo developing these enhancements for current Sensus models? Some Automakers are already working on developments for the Carplay enhancements with the intention of having them live when iOS 13 is publicly released; How far behind the public release do you think Volvo would probably be? Really looking forward to the discussion around this, and hope to not be disappointed, but I also realize that this could be a pipe dream.
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ P* | Onyx Black Metallic | Charcoal | Advanced Package | Air Suspension - CPO
      2018 S90 T6 Inscription | Onyx Black Metallic | Blond | Advanced Package - CPO

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No one has any thoughts?
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ P* | Onyx Black Metallic | Charcoal | Advanced Package | Air Suspension - CPO

I look forward to more CarPlay updates, particularly those that are self-implementing.

As you point out, some enhancements are dependent on the manufacturer.

It is impossible to predict what, and by when, Volvo will do. Legacy SPA models may or may not have the hardware needed to perform at an acceptable. Just too many variables and unknowns.

I shall wait and see, then be pleasantly surprised whatever comes since I am fully invested in MY16 for several more years and will enjoy it. Hopefully, you will get more feedback from others as I would welcome further enhancements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Sensus Carplay Preview

I am doing the beta testing on iOS 13, to include the updates to Carplay, so I wanted to share some photos of the updated interface on the Sensus display... Obviously, there aren't any of the manufacturer specific updates as Volvo would have to do updates to their software to enable those, but the updates to Carplay on the Sensus have really made it much easier to use, I really like them.

New Dashboard View:
      3.jpg

Map View:
      1.jpg

Map View w/ Options (They fade after a moment until you touch the screen again):
      2.jpg

Application Switcher/View:
      4.jpg

New Calendar View:
      5.jpg
      Last edited by SterlingArcher; 08-13-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Last of the photos from above -

New Reminders View:
      8.jpg

New Carplay Settings Menu:
      7.jpg

New Music/Now Playing View with Album Artwork:
      6.jpg

I like the bigger map version...that is one thing that I don’t like with CarPlay vs the OEM Nav system...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements