Radio Powers Up, I Can Change Sources & Equalizer - But No Sound / Info / Navi Will Not Pop Up. Is My ICM Dead?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Radio Powers Up, I Can Change Sources & Equalizer - But No Sound / Info / Navi Will Not Pop Up. Is My ICM Dead?

Sorry if this comes off like broken English. Iím reciting this while driving on a 300 mile road trip.
      Everything was fine when I left the house. I stopped a mile away to fuel up and cut the car off. When I came back into the vehicle, my navigation screen didnít rise from the dashboard. Then I noticed that my radio screen was on but there was no information on the display and no sound. I turned it off, then turn the radio on it went through the start up splash screen and then just return to a green screen with no further information.

I can cycle through the equalizer settings, and the source settings, and the menu settings but nothing occurs?
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just arrived. No change.
      Plus I found out my backup sensors no longer beep either. I found that out nearly backing into a bollard.
      I guess that system is tied into whatever is causing the no audio issue.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      You able to get the output from VIDA and share?
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 140k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 25k km
      2003 Acura TL Type S A-Spec (2007 Accord V6 transmission swap, Tein SS, all available engine bolt ons, exhaust, Apexi AFC, etc.) 108k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

That's not the system I have (had), but I was surprised how many different kinds of power sources there are to the Infotainment system. The amplifier has it's own, and it would seem to me that if that power is out, or anything else on the network, that things won't go well.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      You able to get the output from VIDA and share?
      I donít have Vida. I only know one independent shop in the area that has one.
      Obviously the dealer could do it for whatever the latest fleecing charge is.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Plus I found out my backup sensors no longer beep either. ...
      I guess that system is tied into whatever is causing the no audio issue.
      The beep comes through the audio system...
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      The beep comes through the audio system...
      Yep, as I found out after nearly tapping the bollard. I wonder why this is causing the Navi screen not to rise though? Those controls are on the steering wheel.

Yep, as I found out after nearly tapping the bollard.
      Too much reliance on technology!
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

Small updates and some additional information for the knowledge base:

A) ChitownV happened to be in town, and on one of the DMV's notoriously hot and sticky days, generously offered to meet with me at a mutually local Ikea, bring his VIDA, scan my XC and even swap amplifiers to target the issue. The amp was ruled out. Mine worked in his truck. (Of course it wouldn't be that easy! )
      We pulled the codes which came back as:
      ICM DC-01 communication module fault signal
      ICM DC-02 communication module communication missing

B) I found an informative and detailed repair video from MAS Audio in England on YouTube. According to the tech, the most common issue are a handful of inexpensive capacitors on the board which go bad and cause a spectrum of ICM problems.
      So if you're handy with a soldering iron and board repair, or know someone who is, you may be able to do this for what looks like $10 in parts.
      (TL;DW version: The smaller caps are the problematic ones. You can test each with a meter or just replace all the caps on the board and be done with it)

C) Xemodex in Canada offer services for the P2's ICM. I'll give them a call and get more information, but if anyone knows another servicer in the US (ideally the Mid-Atlantic or NE) that would be great.
      For posterity, as of July 2019, they have two options:
      $350 if you uninstall yours and send it to them. https://xemodex.com/us/product/infot...0752236-10-20/
      $400 and they will send you a refurbished unit and you return your core. https://xemodex.com/us/product/infot...0752236-10-20/

Because this a Dynaudio system, I don't think I'm ready to start diving into the abyss of salvage yard XCs and looking for the unicorn junker that would have the right ICM, for a Dynaudio, with the right year/ chassis programing. That hunt will probably take months and be maddening.
      Last edited by ShadowDancer; 07-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.

I had to something similar on my wifeís s60 door module. It really wasnít hard and at that time there was only one person who was up to the challenge of dissecting the 500$ door module to show us what was wrong with it. 7 bucks for 10 caps on Amazon was well worth it.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      I had to something similar on my wifeís s60 door module. It really wasnít hard and at that time there was only one person who was up to the challenge of dissecting the 500$ door module to show us what was wrong with it. 7 bucks for 10 caps on Amazon was well worth it.
      Kind of hard to swallow a $450 service (w/int'l shipping) after discovering the most likely culprit is a few inexpensive capacitors.
      Hoping I'd find an electrician who'd be willing to do it for $75-100. It's sunk cost - I already have a non-fully functioning radio anyway.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      Kind of hard to swallow a $450 service (w/int'l shipping) after discovering the most likely culprit is a few inexpensive capacitors.
      Hoping I'd find an electrician who'd be willing to do it for $75-100. It's sunk cost - I already have a non-fully functioning radio anyway.
      Go find an Electrical or Computer Engineering student. They'll fix it cheaper and proper.
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 140k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 25k km
      2003 Acura TL Type S A-Spec (2007 Accord V6 transmission swap, Tein SS, all available engine bolt ons, exhaust, Apexi AFC, etc.) 108k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km

Hey, So i Bought a pretty 2004 XC90 2.5L with the high performance audio + Pop up Navigation package, and mine never worked. Obviously I spent days doing research and trying the cheapest way to fix it.

I was able to get everything working "ICM" wise today after a good week of tinkering around. Heres how I did it:

1.) I removed the radio, and unplugged the ICM, and based on some other posts, I took a hairdryer to the vent of the ICM and heated it up for about 3 minutes... when I plugged it back in, Voila!! The radio powered on, for about 3 minutes. Something to do with the circuitry of the board makes this a great fix, and it actually works permanently for 99% of people who tried it on that thread.

2.) This had me believe the ICM was the issue, so I went to a local volvo mechanic and he replaced my ICM using one from a 2005 model. When you turned my radio on originally, it would say "high performance audio" on a NUMERICAL display. He threw in one with a "MATRIX" display, looks better, but serves the same purpose. The only thing that wasn't working right initially was the climate control so I kept my original control system for that. Everything booted up, but i realized I could not adjust volume, the slider just stayed blank. So after more research, we discovered that the original amplifier under the passenger seat, went bad, and in turn did something to my ICM that caused it to give up as well. This explains why my ICM turned on for a bit after I heated it up but died after.

3.) We popped the amp out, and swapped it out for the same one, and........ everything works. Parking, Radio, CD, the whole 940 yards.

This was a frustrating process, as I removed the roof panels, and individually checked each component. Our volvos run on a MOST system, which essentially uses fiber optics to communicate to individual media modules throughout the car. When you remove the MOST connection plug, it has a red light. Something that also pointed towards the amplifier, was that every module had a light coming out of the plug, except for the CD player and ICM. The cable comes from the AMP, therefore also proving that the system was breaking at the amp.

All in all the Amplifier costed me 50$ and the ICM costed me 200$.

Good luck!

Where were you able to find an ICM for $200? My amp is good. We verified this by plugging it into Chitown's XC90.

Update: Oddity of oddities. I was away on a business trip for about 8 days and came home last night to a dead battery. Dead as in not even enough power to turn on the courtesy lights.

Fortunately my friend in his big honky tonk HD3500 swung by to give me a jump. After 5 minutes on the cables I gave it a crank and was rewarded with a weak sputter then dropped. But something odd happened; the DVD player under the seat was whirring and the NAV screen rose like Lazarus from his death and displayed "updating." Never saw or heard that before.

We gave it another 5 minutes of juice, and on the next crank she roared to life and to my shock, the radio came on! All my presets were flushed but the sweet of Dynaaudio were back. Ran a full function check and source check. All items were working, and the radio has been working fine ever since.

The oddest thing. I can't wrap my mind around how a dead battery would suddenly make my radio work again but, as they say, the Electronic Gods work in mysterious ways.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements