Test Drive: New 2020 V60 CC VS. 2019 V-60 R-Design
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Test Drive: New 2020 V60 CC VS. 2019 V-60 R-Design

My local dealer just got in 6, MY2020 V60 CC’s and I finally got the chance to compare the V60 R T-6 to the V60 CC T-5. Keep in mind that I am 6’2” with legs as long as someone who is 6’4”. Volvo cars have the features, quality, safety, and the seats that interested me a year ago when I first spotted a MY2018 V60 parked next to me.

Pros
      1. With two hours of test drives logged in on the V60 R a couple of months ago I went into the dealer in Concord, NH and explained I was going to be a OSD customer and could I please take the new V60 CC out for a comparison test ride to be sure the R-Design was going to be my best choice for a OSD next May. The V60 CC is a great looking car. The styling looks nearly as good to me as the V60-R. The folks at Lovering Volvo were very accommodating.
      Here is what I discovered-in my opinion.
      Pros
      1 The V60 CC cabin is a little wider than that of the V60 R. This allows me to bend and angle my right knee towards the center console. On the R my right leg has to be kept straighter. The published leg room is the same for both V60’s. I will take another extended test drive in the MY2020 V60 R in a month or two when they hit the dealers’ lot to be sure I am OK with the R-Design before turning over the deposit.
      2. The T-5 engine without the super charger does a great job and I liked it just fine. It does produce noticeably less low speed acceleration compared to the T-6. The R I drove had Polestar tuning, and sports suspension. No surprise the power and handling was much snappier than the CC. The T-5 low speed Power was fine, the turbo worked as expected. I can live without the T-6 fuel consumption and the cost of P tuning.
      3. The resale value of the CC will be higher, and easier to sell since the CC will appeal to more people these days who are SUV crazy than the select wagon market. So the cost with the same options makes the V60 for 2020 less expensive initially, and in the long run the cost of owning lower AND more fun.

Cons
      1. Like the MY2019 Inscription V60 I drove a few months ago, the suspension has a floating feeling and a body roll when cornering or changing lanes that you don’t notice as much in the My2019 V60 R-Design with optional sports suspension. The extra ground clearance of the CC makes the body roll worse than the Inscription.
      2. The seat in the V60 CC doesn’t hug the body or support the thigh as well as the R-Design seat. This is a deal breaker for me as seat comfort is number 1 for me. I thought the luxury seat package on the Inscription would seal the deal till I drove it. The R seat is contoured to fit European’s-the luxury seats are made to fit American’s. The heavily bolstered R seat fits me really well. Large wide people won’t like it.
      3. I finally got to try out the $4200 BW audio package. I tried it with Sirius 67, my favorite jazz station. It sounded a little better than the $800 HK unit in the R-Design, but not $3200 better. IMHO. Try before you buy if you think $4200 for a radio is too much.
      4. Since the road was dry and it is summer there was no way to test the Hadex on-demand (when the computer decides it need it) AWD on the V60 CC. I love full time AWD, like on my Subaru. But on-demand AWD doesn’t impress me that much since I won’t be commuting with this car and I will be using 4 snow tires in winter for traction. The cost of the AWD comes back to you at resale, but the fuel cost penalty and service to the Haldex pump cancels the resale bump to a minus. It is just extra weight to haul around in my view. Not important enough to seal the deal for me.

Conclusion
      My wife and I like cars, not SUV’s or even Crossovers in both appearance and drivability. We like a sporty suspension that gives you a sense of control. The R-Design is not for everyone, but it seems to be made for people like us. Since I won’t be placing the order for my OSD till the second week in December I have the time to be very sure about what I want to own. When I told me dealer I am going OSD it took the negotiating part of buying a car out of the picture-this is great!
      Just my two cents….Any comments welcome.
      Mike

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm very surprised over the notion that the cabin is wider on the v60cc. Are you sure that the sensation of such wasn't a result of the different seats?

Follow

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Glad to hear you had a good experience at Lovering in Concord. I had a very good experience with a saleswoman there myself, and I’d go out of my way to make a future purchase there.

Enjoy your OSD experience, I’m sure you’ll love the trip no matter which car you end up going with!

Thanks for sharing your impressions. That is helpful to us.
      If you are considering the B&W option, you should use a better music source than SiriusXM for a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wynand_S60_SPA View Post
      If you are considering the B&W option, you should use a better music source than SiriusXM for a demo.
      You make a good point about the quality of the source material for the B&W. In my own case, my personal standard for car audio is middle of the road, so the HK system will be great. I respect others with higher standards as I am particular about home audio. Glad we have three choices from Volvo on this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Wynand_S60_SPA View Post
      Agreed. To come to a conclusion about how different the two systems are, instead of just which is fine for the OP, one needs to use the best source material possible.

So I agree with the OP that the upgraded HK system is fine for 99% of the people out there. Where is strongly disagree is that there is indeed a huge difference in quality between it and the B&W system. But as with computers GIGO and more revealing systems cannot overcome GI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Get the T5 R design with Polestar. I preferred this over T6 without Polestar.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post

Really? Did you drive them both? Can you make a comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post

Ewww, no. First off - T5 RD is FWD. I understand that not everyone needs AWD, but it makes the car better in all aspects.
      Even with Polestar T5 can't hold a candle to the T6 (w/o Polestar).
      Now, not everyone needs a T6 (we have T5 & T6 in the household), but they really don't compare.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      Ewww, no. First off - T5 RD is FWD. I understand that not everyone needs AWD, but it makes the car better in all aspects.
      Even with Polestar T5 can't hold a candle to the T6 (w/o Polestar).
      Now, not everyone needs a T6 (we have T5 & T6 in the household), but they really don't compare.
      I see that you have T5 in the bigger, heavier vehicle; so I'm assuming that you mean that the T5 is underwhelming in an XC60 compared to the supercharged T6 in the smaller S60 sedan. How do you find the transmission shifting between the T5 and T6? Many (most?) people find the T5 engine to be a smoother accelerator and shifter than the T6 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      Since the road was dry and it is summer there was no way to test the Hadex on-demand (when the computer decides it need it) AWD on the V60 CC. I love full time AWD, like on my Subaru. But on-demand AWD doesn’t impress me that much since I won’t be commuting with this car and I will be using 4 snow tires in winter for traction. The cost of the AWD comes back to you at resale, but the fuel cost penalty and service to the Haldex pump cancels the resale bump to a minus. It is just extra weight to haul around in my view. Not important enough to seal the deal for me.

Just my two cents….Any comments welcome.
      Mike
      So the rear axle on these Volvos does not receive any power unless there is slippage due to wet/icy/loose road/surface? If one accelerates rapidly on a dry surface, there's no way to get AWD to kick in? Is there some technical discussion about this somewhere? Where do you get your information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I see that you have T5 in the bigger, heavier vehicle; so I'm assuming that you mean that the T5 is underwhelming in an XC60 compared to the supercharged T6 in the smaller S60 sedan. How do you find the transmission shifting between the T5 and T6? Many (most?) people find the T5 engine to be a smoother accelerator and shifter than the T6 engine.
      I drove a T5 FWD S60, so I was comparing to that.
      I find transmission in both cars completely bipolar. In my T6 I think Polestar tune helps.
      Now, mind you, this only pertains to Comfort mode.
      In Dynamic transmission is fine I'm both.
      T5 is less jumpy, of course. Wouldn't call it smoother, it just doesn't have the low end torque so it might feel smoother.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      So the rear axle on these Volvos does not receive any power unless there is slippage due to wet/icy/loose road/surface? If one accelerates rapidly on a dry surface, there's no way to get AWD to kick in? Is there some technical discussion about this somewhere? Where do you get your information on this?
      AWD definitely kicks in when dry. I feel it often.

Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      AWD definitely kicks in when dry. I feel it often.

Since Polestar tune is updated to send more torque to rear, I think it is controlled by the computer. In what situation and how much it sends torque to rear is unclear to me though.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements