Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar

8th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers

8th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers

Group photo from last year's event.

----------

This year, we will be returning to Volvos and previous event attendees only. However, we will be at the dragon during the same weekend as Touge Fest.

What is Touge Fest?
      Touge Fest is an annual event at the dragon that brings all types of cars together for a weekend of driving fun. They have been one of the greatest groups I have ever driven with, full of people who respect the road and respect all types of cars. While Touge Fest is a large event with well over 150 attendees, there are many smaller car clubs who gather that weekend, branching off to do their own thing, then reuniting for the main Touge Fest activities.

Over the last few years, many of us local Volvo owners have attended, giving the Touge Society a very high opinion of Swedish cars.

While Touge Fest has their own registration and events taking place, Volvo Dragon Slayers will only be gathering on November 2nd and branching off for our own scenic drive.

For those interested, I will share a link to Touge Fest's registration once it is open. However, our Volvo Dragon Slayers event does not require registration and you may still partake in many of the Touge Fest activities without registering for their event as well.

In short, Volvo Dragon Slayers will simply be sharing the area with another event, but it should provide Volvo owners with an opportunity to partake in both events that week.

What is Volvo Dragon Slayers?
      This is an opportunity for local Volvo owners to slay the dragon, enjoy the scenery of the Smokey Mountains, and meet a bunch of cool people.

When?
      November 2nd for the main event and activities. A few people from our group may be arriving the evening of the 1st and staying until the 3rd. Many Touge Fest people will be there all week.

While Touge Fest will attract many cars and a few bikes, their past events usually fall on one of the least crowded weekends at the dragon. It's also a great time to enjoy the fall colors and the cooler temperatures are optimal for our turbos.

Lodging
      There are many places to stay in the area. Touge Fest will quickly fill up Fontana Village Resort and some of the surrounding areas, so do not put off booking a room/cabin.

Schedule *may be subject to slight changes based on the Touge Fest schedule
      This year's scenic drive will explore the recently-extended Foothills Parkway. Starting just a few miles north of the dragon, it's a 30 miles stretch of scenic highway (60 miles round trip) that will provide many opportunities to take pictures and visit with friends.

It is advised that you have breakfast and fill up with gas before we meet; we also suggest packing snacks. We are scheduling for dinner at 5:30, but unknown variables could delay this. There will not be a designated lunch stop.

We will be meeting at the Fontana Village Resort General Store at 10:30am for an 11:00am departure to Foothills Parkway.

*red items are on the Touge Fest schedule but not part of the Volvo Dragon Slayers schedule

9:00am registered Touge Fest attendees' gathering and swag bag retrieval.
      10:00am registered Touge Fest attendees' driver's meeting.

10:30am meeting up at Fontana Village Resort General Store
      11:00am departing from the store, heading down Moonshiner and north on the dragon.
      11:45am begin the drive along Foothills Parkway. This 30 mile stretch of scenic highway will take about an hour to drive, assuming we make a few stops to enjoy the scenery and take pictures. Once we reach the end, there will be an opportunity to fill up with gas and get snacks at a Marathon gas station. We will then turn around and take Foothills parkway back to US129 and the dragon.
      2:30pm stopping at the Killboy store. Then dismissing for people to enjoy time on their own.
      4:00pm registered Touge Fest attendees' raffle
      5:30pm meeting at Tapoco Lodge for dinner. (https://tapoco.com/)

----------

The following are links to albums from past events.
      7th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Chereohala Skyway
      6th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Foothills Parkway
      5th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Clingman's Dome
      4th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway
      3rd Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls
      2nd Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway
      1st Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway

----------

About the Dragon:

The Tail of the Dragon is a public road with 35mph speed limits and occasional cops. Slay the dragon at your comfortable pace! This is not a race! No one will judge if you intend to hold back and drive slow. Some of our group will lead and intend to drive fast, others will stay back and enjoy the curvy road at the speed limit.

Always stay in your lane. Crossing the double yellow is what leads to fatal accidents at the dragon.
      Pay attention to faster cars/bike behind you, especially during the week of Touge Fest. There are many pull-offs along the dragon that you can use to let faster people pass you by.
      ----------

If you want alcohol, bring your own! There is a bar at Fontana Village Resort, but this is a dry county with a 30 mile drive to the nearest liquor store.
      Do not drink and drive.

----------

It is advised that everyone brings walkie talkie radios for communication while driving. All Volvos will be using Channel 3 sub channel 0, but we may choose a different channel upon arrival. Radios are a great way to communicate upcoming turns, rest points, and friendly chatter.

----------

Attendees:
      MyNameIdeasWereTaken - 987S
      SunroofGirl - C30
      tchnprgrmr - C70
      jeff.potts.148 - C30
      TurboSkate - TT RS
      c30john - C30

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Bailey and I both plan on being there. We will be making it a day trip, so driving up early Saturday morning and heading home after dinner.

I plan on being there in the c70.
      2006 S60R M66
      98 C70 T5M coupe

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If I bring one of mine Iíll have to be in the back. I wonít be able to keep up on the curves in an XC. Iíve been up there in one, slooow and steaaadddyy.
      2006 XC70 75k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 64k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 5k - Grey/Black - "Egg"
      2018 V90CC 12k - Crystal White/Amber - "Rudolf"
      Previous: 1997 Dodge Intrepid | 2002 Saturn | 2009 Jetta | 2011 Mazda3 | 2011 Outback | 1993 Miata | 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2010 Odyssey | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2019 BMW 440i

I'm going to try and make it, at least for the day.
      2007 Black Sapphire/Atacama V70R M66

I might try and make it in either Volvos or my 128i.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Multimedia Package. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 111K. (2011-)
      2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 99K. (2011-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

Bump for confirmed interest.

I know a lot of the usual Dragon Slayers attendees will be there strictly for Touge Fest, so may not join our Volvo group drive. But they'll meet up with us for pictures and to socialize.

Confirming that I'll be there. Got a cabin a little ways down the road all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 S60R M66
      98 C70 T5M coupe

A little over a week to go. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Jeff brought to my attention that the Touge Fest gathering will now be in the General Store parking lot instead of the ball field. Because of this, our 10:30 AM meetup will now be at the Fontana gas station (about 1/4 mile down the road from the General Store).

See you all tomorrow!

Im going next year.... cant this year. All volvos are borked
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Thatís because you savagely dismember Volvos. Thatís not ownership, thatís a serial killing kidnapper!

A few of my pictures from this year.

2006 S60R M66
      98 C70 T5M coupe

I wouldnít park under that crane...
      2006 XC70 75k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 64k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 5k - Grey/Black - "Egg"
      2018 V90CC 12k - Crystal White/Amber - "Rudolf"
      Previous: 1997 Dodge Intrepid | 2002 Saturn | 2009 Jetta | 2011 Mazda3 | 2011 Outback | 1993 Miata | 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2010 Odyssey | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2019 BMW 440i

Just now getting around to some of my pictures. I'll have them all uploaded soon...

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements