Osd 8/16 - 8/23
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Osd 8/16 - 8/23

Osd 8/16 - 8/23

So we are at 30 days until our trip. My wife and I are super excited. All our flights, hotels, and dinner reservations are booked. And we completed the final finance paperwork and signed contract this last weekend so we are official, official now!!

Our car is a 2019 V90 T6 in Savile Grey with basically all the options. It was built on 4/24, so it is there waiting for us.

I thought I would share our quick trip here as many others have done. I've found those very helpful in the planning of our trip.

I heard back from the FDC that my requested accessories (Polestar, sunglasses holder, load carriers, and illuminated trunk plate) are being added. I'm also contemplating the iPad holder and split exhaust tips, but we'll see...

As for our trip! We leave California on Friday the 16th. We go through Copenhagen and land in Gothenburg around 3pm on Saturday. We are staying at the Clarion Sat and Sun nights. Going to have dinner at The Barn on Sat night and Norda on Sun night. Plan for Sunday is to explore Gothenburg. We have some things we'd like to visit if possible:

- Cafe Husaren (really want to try a Hagabullen)
      - Haga
      - Victoriapassagen
      - Museum of Art
      - Masthuggskyrkan
      - Skansen Kronan
      - Trasdgardsforeningen

We then take delivery on Monday 8/19. After the tour we are driving up north a little to Smogen. Staying at Somgens Hafvsbad and will have dinner there that night. On Tuesday we are going to explore up in that area. There looks like a cool animal sanctuary and watercolor museum to visit, but playing the day by ear. We'll find somewhere to eat on Tuesday night. There is also a Scotch maker in the area I really want to tour.

On Wednesday we head back into Gothenburg and will be staying at Hotel Pigalle. Dinner on Wednesday night is at Thornstroms kok. Thursday will be a "what-ever" day. The Volvo Museum looks interesting, but that may be to much car stuff for the wife in a single week. We'll be having dinner at Atelier in Hotel Pigalle on our last night. Then on Friday we drop the car off in the morning and catch a flight that afternoon to head home.

I will be sure to post photos from the trip once we are there.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You hit your dates just right as the factory is ending its summer vacation schedule on the Friday before your pickup. Sounds like a fantastic itinerary... have a great time and enjoy driving the V90 on the Swedish roads. Saville Gray is a great color by the way.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      You hit your dates just right as the factory is ending its summer vacation schedule on the Friday before your pickup. Sounds like a fantastic itinerary... have a great time and enjoy driving the V90 on the Swedish roads. Saville Gray is a great color by the way.
      Ya, we purposefully picked the date way out in advance. I reached out in February and was told weeks 29 thru 32 were a hard no on tours (summer vacation). Weeks 28 and 33 couldn't be ensured since they are the soft close/open weeks. Hence, we picked week 34 which still gave room to get the car back to the US before my current lease is up in November.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bambuhiphop View Post
      Ya, we purposefully picked the date way out in advance. I reached out in February and was told weeks 29 thru 32 were a hard no on tours (summer vacation). Weeks 28 and 33 couldn't be ensured since they are the soft close/open weeks. Hence, we picked week 34 which still gave room to get the car back to the US before my current lease is up in November.
      Maybe they will be assembling some new secret models and still don't get tour the final assembling line in the factory. But yeh it will be fantastic trip.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

After the tour we are driving up north a little to Smogen. Staying at Somgens Hafvsbad and will have dinner there that night.
      When we picked up our car in May 2017 we did the Volvo recommended Castle and Coast Tour, and that included spending a night at the Smogen Hafvsbad in Smogen. Smogen is a beautiful small fishing village, and as a photographer, I went crazy taking pictures there. There are lots of great restaurants as well, featuring fresh seafood. It wasn't too crowded when we were there, but I expect in August it will be more so. Enjoy.
      OSD ordered 2017 XC90 Inscription Luminous Sand with Blonde Leather and Charcoal carpet, 234 wheels, Convenience, Climate with HUD, Vision, B&W Sound, Polestar and air suspension

I just checked and the place we had dinner at was Göstas Fiskbutik, and it was excellent.
      OSD ordered 2017 XC90 Inscription Luminous Sand with Blonde Leather and Charcoal carpet, 234 wheels, Convenience, Climate with HUD, Vision, B&W Sound, Polestar and air suspension

Quote Originally Posted by jtriebe View Post
      I just checked and the place we had dinner at was Göstas Fiskbutik, and it was excellent.
      Thank you kindly for the recommendation.

We then take delivery on Monday 8/19. After the tour we are driving up north a little to Smogen. Staying at Somgens Hafvsbad and will have dinner there that night. On Tuesday we are going to explore up in that area. There looks like a cool animal sanctuary and watercolor museum to visit, but playing the day by ear. We'll find somewhere to eat on Tuesday night. There is also a Scotch maker in the area I really want to tour.

Quote Originally Posted by jtriebe View Post
      When we picked up our car in May 2017 we did the Volvo recommended Castle and Coast Tour, and that included spending a night at the Smogen Hafvsbad in Smogen. Smogen is a beautiful small fishing village, and as a photographer, I went crazy taking pictures there. There are lots of great restaurants as well, featuring fresh seafood. It wasn't too crowded when we were there, but I expect in August it will be more so. Enjoy.
      We spent 8 days on the Bohuslan coast after picking up our car last summer. It was easily the favorite part of our 5 week trip in Scandinavia. But Smogen was one of our less favorite spots in the area, along with Marstrand. Overcrowded and overdone in the summer - lots of bad cafes and tourist driven venues. There are plenty of much nicer villages. Do go to the watercolor museum on Tjorn. They also have an excellent restaurant, or eat at the even better, nearby, and more famous, Salt & Sill, in the beautiful village of Kladesholmen. And then take the ferry over to the car-free islands of Astol & Dyron. There is a smokery on Astol that is amazing - fresh smoked shrimp, mackerel and bubbles. That whole section of Tjorn + adjoining islands will provide you with many highlights.
      Doesn't sound like you have time, but the villages north of Tjorn, up to Fjallbacka and beyond are just as nice.
      Last edited by nquery; 07-18-2019 at 08:15 PM.
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

I would not make a special trip from Gothenburg out to the Volvo museum. But on your delivery day FDC will send you out there.It's about 5-10 minutes away. Free ticket. They use it as a placeholder for the early delivery folks.Then come back to FDC for lunch then the factory tour
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
      I would not make a special trip from Gothenburg out to the Volvo museum. But on your delivery day FDC will send you out there.It's about 5-10 minutes away. Free ticket. They use it as a placeholder for the early delivery folks.Then come back to FDC for lunch then the factory tour
      I will keep that in mind. Thanks. Delivery time is 10am.

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      We spent 8 days on the Bohuslan coast after picking up our car last summer. It was easily the favorite part of our 5 week trip in Scandinavia. But Smogen was one of our less favorite spots in the area, along with Marstrand. Overcrowded and overdone in the summer - lots of bad cafes and tourist driven venues. There are plenty of much nicer villages. Do go to the watercolor museum on Tjorn. They also have an excellent restaurant, or eat at the even better, nearby, and more famous, Salt & Sill, in the beautiful village of Kladesholmen. And then take the ferry over to the car-free islands of Astol & Dyron. There is a smokery on Astol that is amazing - fresh smoked shrimp, mackerel and bubbles. That whole section of Tjorn + adjoining islands will provide you with many highlights.
      Doesn't sound like you have time, but the villages north of Tjorn, up to Fjallbacka and beyond are just as nice.
      Interesting. We landed on Smogen because of distance for one. It looked like a quality drive to get to know the car on the timeline we have. There is also a Whiskey maker there that I really want to check out. We may just end up day tripping out from there on Tuesday rather than spending a lot of time in Smogen, but we'll see where the trip takes us. I had read the restaurant at the Watercolor museum. Salt & Sill is actually on the possible list of things too. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting. We landed on Smogen because of distance for one. It looked like a quality drive to get to know the car on the timeline we have. There is also a Whiskey maker there that I really want to check out. We may just end up day tripping out from there on Tuesday rather than spending a lot of time in Smogen, but we'll see where the trip takes us. I had read the restaurant at the Watercolor museum. Salt & Sill is actually on the possible list of things too. Thanks for sharing!
      Thanks for mentioning the distillery -- my wife and I are whisky lovers, and are planning on visiting Norden's Ark (the animal sanctuary), which is about 11 minutes away

We just got back from 7 weeks in Sweden, Norway, and Copenhagen. Smogen Hafvsbad on July 2 was one of our unexpected pleasures. If you enjoy hiking, biking or kayaking, the area has plenty to offer. Our room was better than expected and other pretty coast towns are an easy distance. The rock walks around town are great. As for the cost or meals, our 7 weeks gave us plenty of experience in avoiding costly, not so tasty overpriced tourist restaurants. Smogen was no different than any other area for costs or crowds. We should have added time to the area, and subtracted days from other areas.

Our adventure begins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super excited for you. Your second hotel choice looks good. The price was a tad too high for our July dates so we stayed at The Avalon. If time allows, anyone, I highly recommend the ferry to the archipelagoes. We loved Dönso and Styrsö. Lunch was at Isbolaget; wonderful setting, great food.

Our adventure begins!

Have a wonderful time.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Landed yesterday around 4pm in Gothenburg. Bit rainy here this week but still a beautiful city. Got settled in the room and then took a short walk to dinner. About 1/2 mile from The Clarion is an awesome burger place called The Barn. They were super cool and sat us well before our reservation. Fantastic food. Strolled back to the hotel and hit the sack at 8pm.

Arright! Pics!

First full day in the bag.

Lots of walking today. Didn’t get any rain while we were out and about. Most places are closed on Sundays or open late here. Made for a cool atmosphere walking around this morning. Super quiet and intimate.

After breakfast at the hotel we had some tasty coffee at a cafe on Victoriapassagen. From there we decided to head over into Haga. Meandered around on our way there window shopping and enjoying the architecture. In Haga we ascended a ton of steps to Skansen Kronan. Awesome views of the city up there. We then descended sown and had a Hagabullen at Cafe Husaren. Amazingly tasty treat. By this point shops had opened. We perused some in Haga and then headed back to the hotel via Trädgårdsföreningen. We dropped some things off and went back out for some more shopping and sight seeing.

Once the shops closed we headed back to the hotel. We had a lovely dinner at Norda and finished the day with some drinks and the Bon Bon bar. Bartenders were awesome. Introduced me to some Swedish alcohol and chatted about a bunch of stuff. It was a little slow being a Sunday we even experimented with a Manhattan and Old Fashioned. Wife and I found a spot by a large glass window and watched the activity in the square before turning in for the night.

Here she is!

Had an awesome time this morning taking delivery. Tour was epic. So glad I didn’t come during the break. Took a short drive up to Smögen to continue the adventure

Sweet

Few more “artsy” photos of the car. Have a few more photos on the big camera I’ll be able to upload later.

We walked around Smögen last night and had an awesome dinner at the hotel. Plan is explore Smögen a little more on foot and then the Watercolor museum for lunch.

Osd 8/16 - 8/23

Watercolor museum was a great place to visit. Had a great lunch and enjoyed some lovely watercolors. We relaxed with some lattes before heading out to the boulder outcrop by the museum. Gorgeous views albeit extremely windy. Also got to enjoy the car a bit. Made some “wrong” turns and enjoyed some light twisties in Polestar mode. Made a stop at IKEA on the way back to the hotel. Was able to take some glamour shots of the car in the IKEA parking lot. Had an awesome pizza for dinner outside of Smögen. Finished the evening with a walk out to a nearby cove around sunset and a drink at the bar.

Last edited by bambuhiphop; 08-21-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Great stuff keep it coming.

Thanks for the quick trip and pictures of your OSD and your V-90 wagon.

Many thanks for sharing.........more pics please!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Love the glamour shots. Your Volvo certainly looks glamorous!

MY19 OSD - XC40 T5 AWD Momentum (Osmium grey metallic)

Great last 2 day’s. We took a drive to 3 towns along the coast yesterday before heading back to Gothenburg. Had coffee in Hamburgsund, some shopping and sight seeing in Fjällbacka, and lunch in Grebbestad. Once back in Gothenburg we checked into Hotel Pigalle. We did some shopping at the Systembolget (state run liquor store) and then got ready for dinner. We had an amazing 8 course tasting menu at Thörnströms kök. It was a great culinary experience. Today we rode some public transportation to the Volvo Museum. Downloaded an app that made navigating a breeze. Afterward we shot back into Haga and finished up our shopping and some fika. We had our last dinner back at the hotel which was amazing. We concluded the evening on the rooftop patio we coffee and a nightcap.

Traveling home today. Said goodbye to the car this morning. Estimated ship date is 8/30 and delivery to dealer on 10/22. That timeline would be awesome. Lease on my current Ford is up on 11/11. I was able to pull both red plates off and are safely tucked into our bag.

We ended up driving 375 miles. Ran a bit more empty than I meant too but this one tank is already better than the best tank I ever got in my Fusion. And the Fusion’s tank is bigger and that particular trip was all highway.

At the moment we are relaxing in the SAS lounge in Gothenburg. We have a decent layover in Copenhagen and Chicago so we should be able to check lounges out there as well.

As a nice little bonus I upgraded us to Business class between Copenhagen and Chicago. Wife is super excited about that. Also upgraded our last leg into Sacramento on United to 1st.

Trevlig resa and many thanks for the report and the pics!

So, we've been back for a week. Chicago was annoying and last leg on United was a little frustrating but we had an absolute fantastic time over there. This first week back has been nuts but I wanted to summarize the trip a little better. I thought it would be cool to include better links to the places we stayed and visited. We purposefully left parts of the trip open to explore. Even in doing that we still did a ton. I use the TripIt app whenever I travel. Its great because I can preload all travel and hotels into one app for quick reference. But, what's better is you can load points of interest in there too. I had all the places we wanted to visit in there with addresses and websites. I was able to launch the app, tap, and have instant directions.

- On Sunday we found Gothenburg to be very quite, especially in the morning. We personally enjoyed this. It got a bit busier in the afternoon but a lot of shops have limited hours or are just closed. Something to keep in mind.
      - Download the Vasttrafik app on your phone if you plan on taking any public transportation. Awesome route and line guidance based on your location. Can also load a day or trip pass with your credit card. https://www.vasttrafik.se/
      - Smogen and the other towns up north were pretty quite as the summer seaon had just finished up. Again, we were fine with this but it meant a lot of restaurants and bars were closed.

Here are the links or addresses of the places we visited and stayed.

Hotels

Clarion Post: I think everyone knows this
      Smogen Hafvsbad: https://www.smogenshafvsbad.se
      Hotel Pigalle: https://www.hotelpigalle.se/

Food and Drink

We had breakfast at the hotels each morning. None of them disappointed.

The Barn: https://www.thebarn.se/
      Da Matteo (Morning coffee): https://damatteo.se/pages/victoriapassagen
      Cafe Husaren: (Lunch and Hagabullen) http://www.cafehusaren.se/
      Norda: Volvo prefixed menu at the Clarion. Food was great. Wife substituted for a steak sandwich.
      Smogens Hafvsbad (you can have dinner here even if you are not staying
      Vatten Restaurang & Kafe: (Lunch at the Watercolor Museum) https://www.akvarellmuseet.org/vatten
      Pizzeria Italia: (Dinner in Kungshamn) http://www.pizzeriaitalia.se/
      Pipershuset: (Fika in Hamburgsund) http://pipershuset.se/
      Sjogrens i backen: (lunch in Grebbestad) https://sjogrensibacken.se/
      Thörnströms Kök: https://thornstromskok.com/
      Atelier: Dinner at Hotel Pigalle
      Noller: (Fika in Haga) Haga Nygata 28, 411 22 Göteborg, Sweden

Places of Interest and towns we visited

Victoriapassagen: (fun little street to walk through but small and quick) Vallgatan 19, 411 16 Göteborg, Sweden
      Haga: (Great neighborhood in Gothenburg) Haga, Gothenburg, Sweden
      Rum för inspiration: (Nice little shop in Haga) https://www.rumforinspiration.se/
      Skansen Kronan AB: (Take the stairs. Great views of city) Skansberget, Leijonsparres Väg 15, 413 01 Göteborg, Sweden
      Nordic Watercolor Museum: Södra Hamnen 6, 471 32 Skärhamn, Sweden
      Trädgårdsföreningen: (Great gardens in Gothenburg and right outside the Clarion) Slussgatan 1, 411 06 Göteborg, Sweden
      Hamburgsund
      Fjallbacka
      Grebbestad
      Smogen
      Kungshamn
      Ikea: (haha) Östra Torpvägen 30, 451 76 Uddevalla, Sweden
      Volvo Museum: Arendals Skans, 405 08 Göteborg, Sweden

Car has also started its journey back. Got to the port in Gothenburg as scheduled today. Should get to California on 10/4.

bambuhiphop, thanks for the great pictures and information, very thorough. Great info for future OSDers. Hope your wait goes faster than you expect.

Yes, thanks for the story and pics. Don't forget to try to catch the Fidelio going through the Canal Zone on their webcams.

Thnx for the links and Places. Sure to use some of them in October.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast