P000A & P000B Cam Shaft Slow Response
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

P000A & P000B Cam Shaft Slow Response

So the 2012 S60 T5 FWD is back on the road and after a few test runs it sounds great, no oil leaks and rides great after an engine rebuild.

Now...Check Engine codes P000A & P000B indicate the cams are getting a slow response. Mechanic friend says it may have to do with either the Variable Valve Timing or the Solenoids which I guess monitor the distribution of oil in the cams or something to that effect.

The Solenoids were wedged in very tight and we had a tough time pulling them out when we took the thing apart..so it may be that ? Those solenoids sit on top left side of engine near the cover.

Going to to a few highway runs to see if it resets or clears. Of course the whole thing was apart and had to have the head rebuilt.

Any ideas...thanks
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      So the 2012 S60 T5 FWD is back on the road and after a few test runs it sounds great, no oil leaks and rides great after an engine rebuild.

Now...Check Engine codes P000A & P000B indicate the cams are getting a slow response. Mechanic friend says it may have to do with either the Variable Valve Timing or the Solenoids which I guess monitor the distribution of oil in the cams or something to that effect.

The Solenoids were wedged in very tight and we had a tough time pulling them out when we took the thing apart..so it may be that ? Those solenoids sit on top left side of engine near the cover.

Going to to a few highway runs to see if it resets or clears. Of course the whole thing was apart and had to have the head rebuilt.

Any ideas...thanks
      Might be worth pulling them and verifying they're clean and no debris made it into the cavities.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Yes pull the solenoids and check for debris is a good idea. Also check those green seals to make sure they are flat and not kinked, What I've seen before is someone used excessive anaerobic sealer on the cam carrier and it can loosen up while tacky and clog the solenoids and even the CVVT's. It can also clog the entire oil channel. Also seen too much sealer on the oil pan clog the oil pickup screen causing a low oil pressure which will also give those faults. Only other thing I can think of at 3am is possible loose connectors on the solenoids or wiring mixup or damaged wiring. I had one that cleared out after a hot test drive but I've seen some interesting repairs by others. Hopefully no RTV was used.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Sure hope itís the solenoids with debris and not excessive sealer. Will excessive sealer clear out over time or is removing the cam cover again to check for excessive sealer the only way to know ? plenty of leftover sealer so can reattach it. Wonít that sealer just melt, dissolve or somehow clear over time or can it get into cavities of solenoids and cause clogs ? Thanks

The sealer that's used on a cam carrier and oil pan on that engine is a anaerobic sealer which cures in the absence of oxygen. The mating surfaces are machined and just a super thin layer is needed. I use a sponge to dab an almost unseen layer when I do them just so there's no chance of excess. Volvo instructs to use a small paint roller. I've seen engines where too much is used and it creates a mess. So if a bunched squeezed out that you can visibly see on the outside, the same is on the inside which has oil pressure channels in the carrier and the oil pan you need to pay attention to the o-rings as well as they can pinch or shift when installing the pan. If everything checks ok with the solenoids and you are still having issues, you may want to pull the cam carrier if a generous amout of sealer was used.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Will do thanks. First will try just a few highway runs and second if needed just pulling the solenoids which are wedged in there way too tight. Donít like that degree of tightness but Iím sure itís for a reason. Once pulled will inspect them and check for debris/clogs. We were careful to use a light film of sealer with a sponge type small paint roller. Sure did not look excessive to me at the time. I think there are 46 cam cover bolts so itís a bitch to remove, hope to not go there. I did have a hunch at the time to be very careful to not over apply sealer so I sure hope thatís not the case.

"No Oil Pressure" "Stop Engine"

After months of driving around with check engine codes for P000A & P000B, the car now warns of no oil pressure when it gets stuck in traffic. Clears after steady driving but oil warnings reappear in stop and go, so only intermittent.
      Was about to pull the solenoids to check for debris clogs but it's now throwing these low oil warnings. Plenty of oil in pan, it's actually burning less than it used to but have been babying it.

Read about VVT hub on another thread...don't know

Just wondering, there are no noticeable drivability issues. We did not set the cams with the cam lock tool but suspect bad solenoids so may pull soon and replace. But why these oil warning now almost 6 months after the rebuild. Any ideas anyone ? Am I looking at pulling cam cover and resetting cams or just try solenoids first ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      But why these oil warning now almost 6 months after the rebuild. Any ideas anyone ?
      Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      Also seen too much sealer on the oil pan clog the oil pickup screen causing a low oil pressure which will also give those faults. Hopefully no RTV was used.
      If you're now getting oil pressure warnings I would drop the oil pan an look for the issue stated by Oceans60R.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      If you're now getting oil pressure warnings I would drop the oil pan an look for the issue stated by Oceans60R.
      Looks like I may have to, his post warns of using excessive sealer but we hardly used that much..would hate if it's that..I was first thinking solenoids, but based on those oil pressure warnings he may be right.

Yeah you're going to need to drop the pan. The solenoid won't cause a low oil pressure light.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I agree.

Low oil pressure will first be noticed all the way at the top of the engine since the pressure continues to drop as the oil flows through to the end of it's passages. Since VVT systems generally rely on oil pressure to activate timing changes, low oil pressure would cause a slower than expected response, even it if was not low enough to trigger the low oil pressure warning.

Now that you have the warning, it's probably safe to say your problem is further upstream than the solenoids/valvetrain itself. I would definitely pull the oil pan and check the pickup for obstructions.

I've seen a Audi 1.8t suffer from low oil pressure due to a clogged oil pickup (discovered during the rebuild), and the first thing to fail due to the low oil pressure was a galled cam bearing (the screeching was what prompted the rebuild).

Figure it out before you drive any further, or risk doing more extreme wear/damage to your bearings.

thanks guys, we're starting with some easier things before the pan (but will note). Will try new solenoids first and checking oil pressure with gauge and will update thread. Very doubtful it was too much sealer.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements