Volvo Shipment Information
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo Shipment Information

I received the following email from Claims-Plus. It has some details which might be of interest to some considering OSD.

Dear Volvo Owner,

We are Claims-Plus, Inc. We are your contact in the US for information regarding your Volvo after it leaves the foreign port until it reaches the US Retailer. You are receiving this email to introduce ourselves and to let you know your vehicle has now begun the shipping process.

What does that mean in this transport chain? This simply means that the vehicle is on a booking list to be loaded on a vessel soon, bound for the designated US port. This voyage can take from 2 weeks to 6 weeks depending upon the port of entry, and conditions along the route.

What happens when the ship arrives the US port? The vehicle will be driven off the ship and placed in a holding area. A marine damage inspection will be completed. Another separate company will submit the paperwork to get US customs clearance. This can take 2-3 days, or in special cases, weeks to complete. Then an order to process the vehicle will be given to the port processor. It is illegal for the processor to move or touch the vehicle before clearance.

What happens when the port processor has finished preparing the vehicle for transport to the retailer? The vehicle is placed in a que and processed in the order designed by an internal Volvo system. Normally this takes a few days, but at times of high volume it could take longer. Then, the Volvo system informs the inland carrier the car is cleared to be tranported, and it is placed in what is called “load lines”. When the vehicle hits this status mark, we notify the receiving retailer that the vehicle has been released to the trucker to be transported according to the company dispatch. The trucker will develop complete loads going to a general area of the country. After the vehicle arrives at the retailer, a representative should contact you to schedule delivery.

What should happen when I claim my car at the retailer? Before delivery is complete, you (or someone you have designated to receive your vehicle for you), along with a retailer representative, should inspect the vehicle for any damage that may have occurred during transit, using the supplied form called a condition report (in your paperwork packet). Both parties should sign the completed form in order to document the damage. This needs to be done within 15 days of the car’s arrival at the delivering retailer to satisfy the insurance requirements in the event you need to file a claim under the transport insurance. The Marine Insurance Conditions are on the reverse of the blank condition report. Volvo pays for this insurance, however it is your responsibility to make the inspection prior to leaving the Volvo store. Should you find damage your retailer representative should contact [email protected] to initiate a claim. In some cases, the retailer may be legally able to assist you with registration. It depends on the law where you take delivery of your vehicle.

Where do I get my paperwork packet/customs documents if needed?

If you picked up your new car overseas, you should have been given the ownership documents at that time, including the MSO – certificate of origin- needed to register the vehicle. If you have a lienholder, and were overseas for a period of about 6 months, your lienholder may have your MSO and you should contact them to get that. The customs paperwork you will need to register your car will be emailed to you by IFF - the customs broker, after the car has cleared customs. They will use the email address you provided. If you do not receive the customs documents needed to register your car, contact us at [email protected] to request those. Include the vehicle owner’s name, order number, the VIN of the car and a good email to which we should forward the documents.
      For vehicles direct shipped (new, never been driven) those packets are sent to us to forward to the retailer when your car is released to the inland carrier (trucker). You may at any time request these documents be sent to you anywhere within the US by using the email address below.
      What if I have lost my MSO? If you or the lien holder has lost that MSO, we will request a duplicate document for you. However we must have that request in writing, and the reason for a duplicate (lost, stolen, misplaced) all requests should be made to [email protected] We will ship to you via FedEx , therefore in your request please give us an address plus a contact telephone number as required by FedEx.
      OTHER ISSUES: Should you have other questions involving your vehicle shipment, you may also submit those to [email protected] or call 256 379 5820, ext 201 or 202. Include the vehicle owner’s name, order number, and the VIN of the car.

We strive to give you the best possible experience with this process, working together with the Volvo organization to address your needs. There are many variables, as you can see by the info provided above. We know you want your vehicle as soon as possible. Please be patient as we will do what we can to achieve our goal for 100% customer satisfaction.

Best regards,

The VCUSA Team

Claims-Plus, Inc.

Claims-Plus, Inc.

P.O Box 519

New Market, AL 35761

PH: 256-379-5820
      MY19 OSD - XC40 T5 AWD Momentum (Osmium grey metallic)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

how the heck did you get this amazing document? WOW

Quote Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
      how the heck did you get this amazing document? WOW
      I received it by email. I assume Volvo provided my email address to them.

Claims-Plus, Inc. is headquartered in New Market, Alabama. We are experts in Vehicle Claims, Risk Management, and Devaluation Assessments for manufacturers, retailers, and the individual automobile buyer.
      We have built our knowledge with over 30 years in the automobile and heavy truck industry. Expertise includes consulting, claims processing and logistics services for the automobile industry, in particular, luxury lines, in the Quality/Loss Prevention areas of manufacturing.

This knowledge gained has given us a particular insight into value lost after damage to vehicles. With the new trend of tracking past damage to vehicles, we realized a need for owners to have the capability to claim for lost value when someone else causes damage to their vehicle. To address this need, we have developed cutting edge programs to assist those owners, called Devaluation Services. Claims-Plus prides itself on our adaptability, responsiveness, and the quality of our services to meet our clients' unique needs.

We are the New Direction in Asset Protection!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I just received this email yesterday, oddly enough it was only after I'd emailed OSD to inquire about the ability to track my vechicle's shipment. How long after dropping your volvo off after your OSD trip did you receive this email? I dropped my car off almost four weeks ago so I'm certainly hoping it wasn't JUST added to the booking list to be loaded on a vessel! This wait is agony! ha ha.

We dropped off our XC40 on 8/16 and just got the email yesterday as well. According to the tracking sites, it's on a ship south of Nantucket and should arrive in Newark tomorrow. Hope yours is with it!

Quote Originally Posted by nise View Post
      How long after dropping your volvo off after your OSD trip did you receive this email?
      Drop off July 4th, email July 16th.

Have you tried tracking your vehicle with the VIN yourself? That’s the only way I knew what was happening with our vehicle. I had no communication directly from Volvo.

If you get the vin where do you go to do the tracking. May ask my dealer for mine.

Your VIN is on the paperwork you received at the FDC. Check out the thread in this forum “Tracking Car to USA” for all the tips but this worked for me:

Quote Originally Posted by neovolvophyte View Post
      Try this link. Change the "X" at the beginning to an "h" and add your VIN to the end. Swedespeed's auto-URL seems to make hyperlinks a little wonky.

Xttps://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/ocean.do?method=displayOceanQuickSearchResult&oceanQuickSearchCriteria.cargoId=
      Then once you know the name of your ship, use marinetraffic.com to follow its course.

Thank you for posting the info.

I received the same letter. Later, the information provided by Claims Plus re: the shipment and arrival into the US was incorrect. Have your dealer handle this, mine did after my delivery snafu and everything was pretty much flawless, once he took over. My dealer is Premier Volvo Hyannis and the Manager is Harold Reilly.

Am I correct in assuming that my car is insured by Volvo until I receive it at my dealer? My credit union is asking why I haven't submitted the responsible insurance company to them. This has not come up in any of my conversations with Volvo. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by chalmas1 View Post
      Am I correct in assuming that my car is insured by Volvo until I receive it at my dealer? My credit union is asking why I haven't submitted the responsible insurance company to them. This has not come up in any of my conversations with Volvo. Thank you!
      Yes, you are correct. We didn't start our personal insurance coverage until the day we picked up the car from the dealer.
      2019 XC40 T5 Inscription (OSD), Luminous Sand, Adv, Prem, Vis, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel Packages, Harmon Kardon, Four-C Active Chassis
      2012 S60 T5

My recollection is that Volvo’s marine insurance is valid until the car reaches the dealer. since you own the car, I do not know whose insurance would cover the car while it waits for you to take delivery.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      My recollection is that Volvo’s marine insurance is valid until the car reaches the dealer. since you own the car, I do not know whose insurance would cover the car while it waits for you to take delivery.
      Thank you for the confirmations. Barbara with OSD emailed me a document stating that Volvo has me covered until I take possession at my dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by chalmas1 View Post
      Thank you for the confirmations. Barbara with OSD emailed me a document stating that Volvo has me covered until I take possession at my dealer.
      Thanks for confirming that information. I was misinformed for our first OSD, and started our insurance too early.
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Quote Originally Posted by neovolvophyte View Post
      Your VIN is on the paperwork you received at the FDC. Check out the thread in this forum “Tracking Car to USA” for all the tips but this worked for me:

Then once you know the name of your ship, use marinetraffic.com to follow its course.
      Approximately how long after you dropped your car off at the FDC were you able to successfully use the link above? I dropped my car off 10/15 and am still receiving a 'no records found' message when using this link. I might be a little impatient.

My wife and I dropped ours off on 10/8. According to the FDC, they changed how the car is tracked, so the link no longer works. We emailed them, and were given some info (name of the ship, estimated delivery, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by SweeedV60 View Post
      Approximately how long after you dropped your car off at the FDC were you able to successfully use the link above? I dropped my car off 10/15 and am still receiving a 'no records found' message when using this link. I might be a little impatient.
      It took a week or two for the link to start working for us. I did e-mail customer care and they told us when the car would be loaded on the ship. Within a day of that, the link started working. My guess is that it doesn't enter the shipping company's system until they take possession of the car.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements