Sunroof wind deflector. Early 04 vs late 04
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Sunroof wind deflector. Early 04 vs late 04

An oddity that I noticed today on my recently bought 04 S80 with a 12/03 build date is that it doesn’t have a built-in pop up sunroof wind deflector. I have an aftermarket and took it off to clean it and randomly noticed that there wasn’t one there.IMG_1841.jpg

My OTHER 04 S80 with a build date of 4/04 has one?!

There are some other oddities with the build dates on these cars but it seems the pop up wind deflector would’ve standard.

I also noticed that the early car has a statement in the owners manual with instructions on how to reduce wind buffeting with the sunroof open but the late build 04 doesn’t have this in the owners manual. Also with the rear windows open and the sunroof open on the early build car the whooping sound is unBEARABLE without the aftermarket deflector.

Anyone notice this or is my car an anomaly?!
      Janet Jackson is truly 'UNBREAKABLE'. My heartbeat. LOVE you for LIFE JANET!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My 2001 S80 doesn't have one either...
      Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
      Portfolio / Blog / FlickR / Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl View Post
      My 2001 S80 doesn't have one either...
      That’s odd, I’m guessing they didn’t add it until the later build dates after 4/04. Wonder why it took so long.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I agree, it could be a little bit better though. I was also searching for it when I bought the car haha

What could be better? I thought you said yours didn’t have one? The only thing that helps wind buffeting is the method in the manual where you stop the sunroof at the first stop or by installing an aftermarket deflector. The factory defector one on my late 04 model doesn’t have the buffering at all.

Better as in add something instead of nothing

My 2000 S80 did not have this originally. However, the deflectors that come on the later year models are compatible. I found one on an S80 from the junkyard and it snapped right into place on my 2000. I find that the wind deflector reduces the low tone rumble noise of the wind but actually increases overall wind noise (hope that makes sense).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPilot2012 View Post
      My 2000 S80 did not have this originally. However, the deflectors that come on the later year models are compatible. I found one on an S80 from the junkyard and it snapped right into place on my 2000. I find that the wind deflector reduces the low tone rumble noise of the wind but actually increases overall wind noise (hope that makes sense).
      The thing about the noise makes perfect sense, I noticed it in my late 04 also. Btw does it just pop out and in if one were to swap one? No headliner removal and all that jazz?

Quote Originally Posted by kyngofpop View Post
      The thing about the noise makes perfect sense, I noticed it in my late 04 also. Btw does it just pop out and in if one were to swap one? No headliner removal and all that jazz?
      I installed it years ago but I don't remember doing anything other than opening up the sunroof and snapping it on. I guess they designed the sunroof with the intent of one day offering the wind deflector. Pretty sure it wasn't an option in 2000 yet there's a spot to add one perfectly.
      2000 S80 T6 - 260k Miles
      2006 XC90 2.5T - 210k Miles
      2008 S40 2.4i - 150k Miles

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements