OSD Winter Considerations?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      2
      We are looking into OSD for a V60CC and have concerns about winter pickup.

      1. We are summer travelers so the cold is an issue. Like how bad does it really get in late December? 30f? 20f? Wind chill? Obviously there are no guarantees but we don't want to suffer Everytime get in and out of the car.

      2. I see that we will be required to rent winter tires. $150. Will we need chains if it snows? Again, I know that there are no guarantees, amounts of unexpected snow etc. But in general, are these types of things going to be issues?

      3. What about salt/sand? I don't want to damage the car in 1-2 weeks of snow driving. We live in southern California so it's not like it's going to see snow at all in this cars future. Do they use salt in Sweden? How bad would it actually be to drive around for two weeks in those conditions? I don't want have a brand new salt/sand pitted car delivered.

      4. I see there may be factory closure dates of 12/23-12/31. Does that mean even the drop off is closed?

      5. All that said, maybe driving in winter conditions will be fun. I just want to make sure we aren't setting ourselves up for a terrible trip and a ruined car.

      Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

      Thanks.
      Last edited by blacklisted; 07-19-2019 at 08:52 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member skibum50's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Northern Kentucky
      Posts
      562
      We did our OSD in March and it was great. The Gothenburg area doesn't get huge amounts of snow and the roads are kept in good condition.
      It was still pretty chilly in March, but we loved everything about the trip.
      We didn't need to rent the winter tires, so maybe there is some flexibility depending on conditions?
      They will do a thorough cleaning of your car before loading it on a ship, so I doubt if there would be a problem of corrosion.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      No. VA
      Posts
      162
      Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      We did our OSD in March and it was great. The Gothenburg area doesn't get huge amounts of snow and the roads are kept in good condition.
      It was still pretty chilly in March, but we loved everything about the trip.
      We didn't need to rent the winter tires, so maybe there is some flexibility depending on conditions?
      They will do a thorough cleaning of your car before loading it on a ship, so I doubt if there would be a problem of corrosion.
      I agree, especially since the car is going to be exposed to the salt air for the duration of the voyage.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

      Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      2
      Exposed to salt water? Typically cars are shipped on a RORO or in containers and NOT exposed to salt water/air during shipping.

      Do you think that's different for OSD for some reason?

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      56
      Quote Originally Posted by blacklisted View Post
      We are looking into OSD for a V60CC and have concerns about winter pickup.

      1. We are summer travelers so the cold is an issue. Like how bad does it really get in late December? 30f? 20f? Wind chill? Obviously there are no guarantees but we don't want to suffer Everytime get in and out of the car.

      2. I see that we will be required to rent winter tires. $150. Will we need chains if it snows? Again, I know that there are no guarantees, amounts of unexpected snow etc. But in general, are these types of things going to be issues?

      3. What about salt/sand? I don't want to damage the car in 1-2 weeks of snow driving. We live in southern California so it's not like it's going to see snow at all in this cars future. Do they use salt in Sweden? How bad would it actually be to drive around for two weeks in those conditions? I don't want have a brand new salt/sand pitted car delivered.

      4. I see there may be factory closure dates of 12/23-12/31. Does that mean even the drop off is closed?

      5. All that said, maybe driving in winter conditions will be fun. I just want to make sure we aren't setting ourselves up for a terrible trip and a ruined car.

      Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

      Thanks.
      If you're concerned about driving your brand new car in possible snow and ice, you can always pick it up, take it for a spin (hopefully, not literally!) and turn it back in to the FDC. Then you can take trains or even fly to other destinations and not have to worry about your car. Southern Europe will likely be warmer than Scandinavia in the winter.

    8. #6
      Member ig_mb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2003
      Location
      Fremont, CA
      Posts
      2,300
      What Iweenie said: if you are worried, leave the car at the FDC and use planes, trains and cabs/ubers.
      Alternatively, consider a date closer to March or April, when the temperatures are warmer and the chances of snow/ice are much lower.


      But, I wouldn't worry too much: the Swedes are really good at keeping their streets and highways impeccably clean.

      Depending on the car you are getting or where you plan to go, you may not need winter tires. For example, if you stay near or south of Gothenburg, chances are you will not see much snow. If you plan to go north or to the mountains, you will need winter tires at least.

      If you are in SoCal and have ever been to Big Bear or Mammoth in winter, that is what you could expect normally. Temperatures very rarely drop below 30.

      For people not used to lower temperatures, warm clothes are a must. The Swedes have a saying that goes something like "there is no bad weather, just wrong clothing". Consider their advice.
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      670
      Here's a different angle ... Amongst other reasons, we also opted for a brief 1.5 day use of the car to help minimize the exterior from any road trip damage ie rock chips, etc because I wanted to PPF it completely with its near-perfect exterior before doing any road trips. Having learned from our previous cars' rock chips rust spots, I didn't want to chance the same mistake on our fanciest awesomest Volvo! One could always find someone over in Europe to PPF the Volvo I suppose before road tripping (or you could bring some PPF with you on the plane and do it yourself on the high probability damage areas), and I would have done so if other factors allowed our family to go on an lengthy road trip. (It can be removed if the PPF became an issue upon FDC return ...)
      Congrats on choosing Volvo!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by Iweenie View Post
      If you're concerned about driving your brand new car in possible snow and ice, you can always pick it up, take it for a spin (hopefully, not literally!) and turn it back in to the FDC. Then you can take trains or even fly to other destinations and not have to worry about your car. Southern Europe will likely be warmer than Scandinavia in the winter.
      This was what we did back in early Dec of 2018. Got our XC40 from the FDC and drove on their test track for 20 min then returned it for delivery back to the States. The rest of our trip we took all public transit. We took the high speed train to Stockholm, night train to Kiruna, and airplane back to Stockholm. Got around in Stockholm via light rails (found a nice intro video about Stockholm public transit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbKTjOjcWos). Then finally Arlanda Express to the airport.

    11. #9
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Music City
      Posts
      1,611
      Quote Originally Posted by blacklisted View Post
      We are looking into OSD for a V60CC and have concerns about winter pickup.

      1. We are summer travelers so the cold is an issue. Like how bad does it really get in late December? 30f? 20f? Wind chill? Obviously there are no guarantees but we don't want to suffer Everytime get in and out of the car.

      2. I see that we will be required to rent winter tires. $150. Will we need chains if it snows? Again, I know that there are no guarantees, amounts of unexpected snow etc. But in general, are these types of things going to be issues?

      3. What about salt/sand? I don't want to damage the car in 1-2 weeks of snow driving. We live in southern California so it's not like it's going to see snow at all in this cars future. Do they use salt in Sweden? How bad would it actually be to drive around for two weeks in those conditions? I don't want have a brand new salt/sand pitted car delivered.

      4. I see there may be factory closure dates of 12/23-12/31. Does that mean even the drop off is closed?

      5. All that said, maybe driving in winter conditions will be fun. I just want to make sure we aren't setting ourselves up for a terrible trip and a ruined car.

      Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

      Thanks.
      You probably won't encounter a ton of snow as Jan/Feb is snowier than December. Don't forget, though, that it gets dark extremely early that time of year. The sun is so low in the horizon that it feels like a "barely bright dusk" all day long. We were there in mid November and were shocked at how dark it is.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.



      The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

    12. #10
      Junior Member Scrapr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      Bend, Or
      Posts
      458
      If you have snow tires you almost certainly won't need chains. I travel a mountain pass several times a month. In 15 years the "all chain" has been up only twice. And one of those I suspect that I got through before the chain up sign got put up. It was pretty horrific. I had only All Season tires on then.

      Volvo will get you proper snow tires and everything will be great. Just for fun find a big parking lot. Then practice turning & stopping. Then try to make the car get loose. Get the V60 CC going in a straight line and turn the wheel hard. It is surprisingly hard to make it go out of control.. Since you are not used to Winter driving this should give you some confidence
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      11
      I would insist on putting on winter tires. Its not about the snow, it is about the low-temperature.
      Chains, I live in Switzerland since 2007... I was never in a situation where I needed to put on chains. If you stick to towns/cities/motorways, then you won't need chains.
      Winter clothing, a good technique is to dress like an "onion", means several layers which you can put on/off according to condition.

    14. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 8
      Last Post: 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM
    2. Considerations before getting a Rrrrr
      By Mr. T5 in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 03-29-2005, 08:32 AM
    3. 2001 V70 Purchase Considerations?
      By KeninKC in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:05 AM
    4. V70 Purchase Considerations
      By KeninKC in forum General Volvo Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-16-2005, 01:12 PM
    5. tints: technical, esthetic and legal considerations
      By vizwiz in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 06-07-2004, 07:13 AM